**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A91CEB33-B121-429A-986C-5F67E994169B.jpeg

Shared this in the foodie thread reminiscing on AC debauchery with my Ecuadorian brodie but eff it, I’m cracking Aguardiente with @buc em and our contingent of Sixers brethren/loyalists when Jimmy and Tobias both re-sign in Philly.

Notice the term has African in it, where as Euro doesn't
Ok, but if someone tweets that the three basketball players to do (insert anything here) are Americans, you wouldn't find it strange for someone else to pipe up, no they're not Americans, they're displaced Africans? Lol.

Last edited:
Rudy's different, I'll give you that, from what I read about Greek, they wouldn't even recognize him as one of their own for most of his life. But yeah if that's a hill you want take it

Giannis is hella Nigerian. Yoruba I bet. Igbo dudes got no charisma according to my Igbo homie :lol:

It does but what are you trying to say? and most of them weren't "displaced".

I already said what I was trying to say and I quoted you in that response. You just decided not to respond to it for whatever reason.

Giannis is hella Nigerian. Yoruba I bet. Igbo dudes got no charisma according to my Igbo homie :lol:
Since my edited response was quoted :lol:, I'll just include his own words

“I grew up in a Nigerian home,” Antetokounmpo said. “Obviously, I was born in Greece and went to school in Greece. But at the end of the day when I go home, there is no Greek culture. It’s straight-up Nigerian culture."

But yeah, I guess it's weird I don't want the African heritage recognized or at the very least not have the Greece emphasized E everysingletime

I like how the lifetime achievement award somehow feels more grandiose than being elected to the actual hall of fame.

What is weird about calling him a displaced african. That was my first question
Cuz it just is. You wouldn't interrupt someone tweeting about a black American's achievement and qualify that as 'no he's a displaced african, that doesn't count as an American achievement' lol

Cuz it just is. You wouldn't interrupt someone tweeting about a black American's achievement and qualify that as 'no he's a displaced african, that doesn't count as an American achievement' lol
I don't think that's what he was trying to say lol. We never said he wasn't a "real american"

Since my edited response was quoted :lol:, I'll just include his own words

“I grew up in a Nigerian home,” Antetokounmpo said. “Obviously, I was born in Greece and went to school in Greece. But at the end of the day when I go home, there is no Greek culture. It’s straight-up Nigerian culture."

But yeah, I guess it's weird I don't want the African heritage recognized or at the very least not have the Greece emphasized E everysingletime
*sigh*

None of this proves your point. The dominant culture at home for a lot of bi-cultural people will be that of the parents.

What is weird about calling him a displaced african. That was my first question

Displaced is commonly used to describe someone who was forced to flee their country.

There have been NBA players who have, themselves, been displaced. Either because of war or government. They had to leave the country they were born in and flee to another. I understand that Gobert’s ancestor’s, on his dad side at least, are African and were likely displaced. What was strange to me is that Gobert himself was called a displaced African, because I had heard that his father and mother were both born in France. Gobert was also born in france. To hear that Gobert was displaced would make me think that he himself was born in Africa and had to flee to France. That is the way the word is used in my experience. To describe an individual’s history, not his ancestors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom