OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been posted in here before as a possibility

Unlimited scholarships would be crazy. I dunno about that one. They're trying to bring back the Bear Bryant talent hoarding era :lol:

If you're a school who's scholarships aren't fully endowed as of yet that has to be a bit concerning.

And I can only imagine the money the schools are going to be kicking out for those schools who are using NIL essentially like a salary for all players, to now have to think about the possibility of having to kick out money for 15 more salaried players.

Unlimited scholarships would be crazy. I dunno about that one. They're trying to bring back the Bear Bryant talent hoarding era :lol:

If you're a school who's scholarships aren't fully endowed as of yet that has to be a bit concerning.

And I can only imagine the money the schools are going to be kicking out for those schools who are using NIL essentially like a salary for all players, to now have to think about the possibility of having to kick out money for 15 more salaried players.

I think the transfer portal will do a good job of stopping top teams from hoarding talent. Players want to play for top schools but Blue Chip athletes don't want to be the 7th man on the depth chart when there are 25 linebackers on the roster.

The more troubling ruling would be unlimited coaches. Many of the small schools can barely pay the coaches they have now, how are they going to compete when big schools like Ohio state, Georgia and Alabama have three coaches for every position group. Would this also essentially give teams unlimited recruiters as well? Imagine having an entire coaching staff getting ready for games and another entire coaching staff (the 3rd tight ends coach or the 4th running backs coach, etc) on the road recruiting.

Of course I don't expect even the richest schools to go out there and just waste money but allowing unlimited coaches is a huge advantage and I foresee top teams finding creative ways to utilize them.

Unlike players, I think that young assistants would rather play under Nick Saban, Kirby Smart or Jimbo Fisher as their 3rd DBs coach and have that on the resume as opposed to being the 1st DBs coach at Wake Forest

Last edited:
I think the transfer portal will do a good job of stopping top teams from hoarding talent. Players want to play for top schools but Blue Chip athletes don't want to be the 7th man on the depth chart when there are 25 linebackers on the roster.
Disagree that it’ll play out this was with NIL now. You can make guys stay because they’re getting paid well.

Unlimited coaches is wild too. But Bama already has 40 analysts who coach anyways :lol:. If this is supposed to lessen coaching burnout then I feel like it may have the opposite effect. Just more burnt out coaches.

Instead of analysts yelling at other analysts during practices telling the players what to do (in order to 'appear like they aren't coaching the players) they can actually yell at the players. :rofl:

Yeah, but that still means that they have to take the extra step to hop in the portal and land at a place that they feel fits them, and likely do so a year or two after they arrived in college. In effect, even if it may not be a total 3-4 year hoarding of players, it will be at least 1-2. Plus there will be the kids who ordinarily would have been pushed by coaches to enter the portal or to transfer, that will not get that same treatment.

Lots of kids are getting humbled by the portal after seeing how it has worked out for some other guys, I think that is part of the reason (along with NIL) that you didn't see the mass descent of players into the portal this spring that many were projecting.

Last edited:
Disagree that it’ll play out this was with NIL now. You can make guys stay because they’re getting paid well.

Unlimited coaches is wild too. But Bama already has 40 analysts who coach anyways :lol:. If this is supposed to lessen coaching burnout then I feel like it may have the opposite effect. Just more burnt out coaches.

I get what you're saying but players still value playing time and having the opportunity to make it the NFL above all else. A five star player riding the bench for 3 years, even while collecting NIL money, is short sighted and I think that most of them would still prioritize getting on the field ASAP.

With unlimited scholarships I do see top teams reaching for certain prospects that they would otherwise not take. It's no longer a "well I can reach on this three-star kid, save the spot for next year or save the spot for a transfer". Coaches are just going to take everybody out of high school and allow things to sort themselves out on campus and the players who lose position battles will just transfer.

Instead of analysts yelling at other analysts during practices telling the players what to do (in order to 'appear like they aren't coaching the players' they can actually yell at the players. :rofl:

Yeah, but that still means that they have to take the extra step to hop in the portal and land at a place that they feel fits them, and likely do so a year or two after they arrived in college. In effect, even if it may not be a total 3-4 year hoarding of players, it will be at least 1-2. Plus there will be the kids who ordinarily would have been pushed by coaches to enter the portal or to transfer, that will not get that same treatment.

Lots of kids are getting humbled by the portal after seeing how it has worked out for some other guys, I think that is part of the reason (along with NIL) that you didn't see the mass descent of players into the portal this spring that many were projecting.

💯💯💯

I totally believe that top teams are going to have huge recruiting classes of 35-40 players out of high school. They no longer have to balance taking a flyer on a prospect or saving that spot for next year / the transfer portal so they will just take everybody they can and let things sort themselves out.

The downstream implications of this or that the transfer portal will be even more hectic than ever and the "re-recruitment" process will become a very important. Kitchen you are a four-star player who goes to Clemson out of high school and you don't get playing time for 2 years and then enter the transfer total with no film.

I think eventually the market will correct itself but I do foresee many kids getting screwed over early on.

What are all of your thoughts on the "You're my guy and we're only going to recruit you!" strategy of QB recruiting.

It's a big debate on the SC board currently because it's a thing Helton used to do that backfired when he'd have bad seasons and now Lincoln is bringing that same strategy with him from Oklahoma.

He allegedly refused to meet with any other recruits, specifically Julian Sayin and Elijah Brown, who are Southern California kids, and Isaac Wilson (Zach's younger brother). He told Dylan Raiola he was the only QB they'd recruit and it worked for a while, until he committed to Ohio State, so now the "going all in" strategy is being criticized.

Notoriously though, we were doing well with Shea Patterson and then lost him when we also pursued KJ Costello. Same with Tua and then recruiting Tate Martell publicly.

I get what you're saying but players still value playing time and having the opportunity to make it the NFL above all else. A five star player riding the bench for 3 years, even while collecting NIL money, is short sighted and I think that most of them would still prioritize getting on the field ASAP.

With unlimited scholarships I do see top teams reaching for certain prospects that they would otherwise not take. It's no longer a "well I can reach on this three-star kid, save the spot for next year or save the spot for a transfer". Coaches are just going to take everybody out of high school and allow things to sort themselves out on campus and the players who lose position battles will just transfer.
Players want to make it to the league. If Bama/UGA is your most likely route to the league, and you can get the over the table bag as well, then you’re going to take it. By this logic why aren’t kids turning down going to these schools now? Adding an extra 15 players to the depth chart is just more depth at a younger level. For a position like RB, you’re selling even less wear and tear on your body.

I think you completely overestimate the decision making of these kids. Most are front runners who will chose the past of least resistance/hot school.

Title IX would keep schools from going crazy with the hoarding wouldn’t it?
They'd have to match scholarships and hires, yeah.

So if you're signing 100 scholarship football players, you'd need to spend an equal amount on scholarships for women's sports. Though, you'd probably just see some men's olympic sports fold to make room. Bye bye Alabama Water Polo team.

They'd have to match scholarships and hires, yeah.

So if you're signing 100 scholarship football players, you'd need to spend an equal amount on scholarships for women's sports. Though, you'd probably just see some men's olympic sports fold to make room. Bye bye Alabama Water Polo team.

A lot of the oly sports have mostly partials don’t they?

You’d have to fold things like baseball or add schollys to women’s basketball to open up room.

Obviously having two or three extra guys is going to help but I don’t see how most schools are going to free up that much room outside of that.

Last edited:
Players want to make it to the league. If Bama/UGA is your most likely route to the league, and you can get the over the table bag as well, then you’re going to take it. By this logic why aren’t kids turning down going to these schools now? Adding an extra 15 players to the depth chart is just more depth at a younger level. For a position like RB, you’re selling even less wear and tear on your body.

I think you completely overestimate the decision making of these kids. Most are front runners who will chose the past of least resistance/hot school.

I agree more players will be willing to sign with top programs out of high school, especially with the addition of NIL money, but I also believe that players will see the writing on the wall much sooner and top players won't be willing to wait until they're fourth year on campus to get playing time.

More and more players will be tampered with in the off season and will be enduced into entering the transfer portal.

A lot of the oly sports have mostly partials don’t they?

You’d have to fold things like baseball or add schollys to women’s basketball to open up room.

Obviously having two or three extra guys is going to help but I don’t see how most schools are going to free up that much room outside of that.
I think you're right but one of the other suggested changes was allowing full scholarships for sports that currently only have partials.

I agree more players will be willing to sign with top programs out of high school, especially with the addition of NIL money, but I also believe that players will see the writing on the wall much sooner and top players won't be willing to wait until they're fourth year on campus to get playing time.

More and more players will be tampered with in the off season and will be enduced into entering the transfer portal.
If you’re waiting until your 4th year to get playing time, then you probably just aren’t good enough to play there :lol:

What are all of your thoughts on the "You're my guy and we're only going to recruit you!" strategy of QB recruiting.

It's a big debate on the SC board currently because it's a thing Helton used to do that backfired when he'd have bad seasons and now Lincoln is bringing that same strategy with him from Oklahoma.

He allegedly refused to meet with any other recruits, specifically Julian Sayin and Elijah Brown, who are Southern California kids, and Isaac Wilson (Zach's younger brother). He told Dylan Raiola he was the only QB they'd recruit and it worked for a while, until he committed to Ohio State, so now the "going all in" strategy is being criticized.

Notoriously though, we were doing well with Shea Patterson and then lost him when we also pursued KJ Costello. Same with Tua and then recruiting Tate Martell publicly.

I think if you're the elite of the elite you can do whatever you want to do. Whether that be recruit only one guy or recruit multiple guys, even if it pisses off one of the kids. Because the drop off the #1 guy you can land and the #2 guy won't be AS big.

If you're not on that level you can to extent be held hostage by the kid. You have to balance the risk of losing the kid (by recruiting someone else as well, knowing that there will likely be a good drop off between the two) with the risk of being left with nothing if the kid ultimately (in the end) decide to not come to your school and during the process you haven't been recruiting anyone else. So you're left scrambling.

I personally always think you should recruit more than one guy, even if the 2nd/3rd person you are recruiting isn't getting the full effort that you're #1 guy is getting. Because missing on the QB position could be such a big blow and you can't really always depend on the feelings and decision making of a teenager. Especially this early out if you're talking about a 2024 kid. Not only is that years away there could be other players that emerge that could be better than the kid that you're solely focusing on. Even if it is your guy, you need to have options because they will have options.

And these days it isn't a bad idea to look towards landing 2 QB's in a class every other year if at all possible, with the portal the way that it is and knowing how often QB's don't want to stick around and wait their turn as much

Title IX would keep schools from going crazy with the hoarding wouldn’t it?

That's a good point. I didn't even think about that.

Just got back from meetings with our regional leadership team and this was the theme our VP decided to go with…even bought everybody a copy of the book…
51BC772F-0BEF-4A05-A4E3-21FA18D39E57.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom