OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Kansas an AAU school? I always thought that was a requirement to join the B1G

They are, but Nebraska lost their AAU status shortly after joining the conference, and all the conference presidents knew it was going to happen, so I don’t think that is as big as a requirement as everyone makes it out to be.

As long as a school isn’t trash academically and will make the conference as a whole more money, they’ll get a look.

Washington State athletic director Pat Chun said in a statement that he and Rolovich "have had multiple conversations regarding his decision not to receive a COVID-19 vaccine."

"While WSU has a vaccination mandate, there are policies and procedures for employees to follow who are not vaccinated. As a department, we will continue to educate our student-athletes, staff and coaches on the benefits of vaccinations and do all that we can to protect the health and safety of those in our charge," Chun said.

:lol:

Last edited:
They are, but Nebraska lost their AAU status shortly after joining the conference, and all the conference presidents knew it was going to happen, so I don’t think that is as big as a requirement as everyone makes it out to be.

As long as a school isn’t trash academically and will make the conference as a whole more money, they’ll get a look.

Ah okay I didn’t know they were. It would make sense for the B1G to grab them. Obviously not a big addition football wise but basketball would be a great add.

I remember when all this expansion talk first started there was talk about the B1G even trying to get Georgia Tech and Virginia (?)

Pac 12 will take them if SEC doesn't ... :nerd:

Pac 12 deal comes up in 2024, I believe one year before all the other conferences'. It was a consideration back in 2011 before the Texas and Oklahoma state governments caused a stink about Tech and State being left behind. Considering USC has been exploring independence and there was talk ND somewhat enjoyed its year in the ACC, albeit missed it's yearly rivalry games, don't be surprised if the whole super conference thing comes up again.

Ah okay I didn’t know they were. It would make sense for the B1G to grab them. Obviously not a big addition football wise but basketball would be a great add.

I remember when all this expansion talk first started there was talk about the B1G even trying to get Georgia Tech and Virginia (?)

It was those two, and tbh I think a lot of the discussion around those two had to do with Delaney’s pipe dream of one day enticing UNC (his alma mater) to join the conference.

UVA’s problem has never been money, so I don’t know if that alone is going to entice them leave like it did with UMD. GT doesn’t have the ties to the conference that UVA does (their ties are still closer to the SEC arguably) and they might think the extra money might help them in recruiting and on the field against their regional rivals, so I could see them jumping at the opportunity. I think the ACC’s deal runs out around the same time too IIRC.

If it’s between like UConn and OkSt, I wouldn’t mind giving a life raft to OKSt tbh. Or let’s just be creative with it and add Navy as a fb only member and Georgetown in all other sports.

Pac 12 will take them if SEC doesn't ... :nerd:

Pac 12 deal comes up in 2024, I believe one year before all the other conferences'. It was a consideration back in 2011 before the Texas and Oklahoma state governments caused a stink about Tech and State being left behind. Considering USC has been exploring independence and there was talk ND somewhat enjoyed its year in the ACC, albeit missed it's yearly rivalry games, don't be surprised if the whole super conference thing comes up again.

Staples mentioned on his pod that it would have to be the ACC or SEC because the LHN would have to get rolled into the deal.

If not I’m assuming UT would have to buy themselves out of it and it doesn’t expire until like 2035.

Staples mentioned on his pod that it would have to be the ACC or SEC because the LHN would have to get rolled into the deal.

If not I’m assuming UT would have to buy themselves out of it and it doesn’t expire until like 2035.
Pac 12 will have a new deal by 2025 though, so who knows what they do there, and tbh... Texas and USC SHOULD be independent.

It was those two, and tbh I think a lot of the discussion around those two had to do with Delaney’s pipe dream of one day enticing UNC (his alma mater) to join the conference.

UVA’s problem has never been money, so I don’t know if that alone is going to entice them leave like it did with UMD. GT doesn’t have the ties to the conference that UVA does (their ties are still closer to the SEC arguably) and they might think the extra money might help them in recruiting and on the field against their regional rivals, so I could see them jumping at the opportunity. I think the ACC’s deal runs out around the same time too IIRC.

If it’s between like UConn and OkSt, I wouldn’t mind giving a life raft to OKSt tbh. Or let’s just be creative with it and add Navy as a fb only member and Georgetown in all other sports.

Id love to have OkSt in the conference, well rounded in all sports and they have some good financial backing

The problem is Okie State brings nothing academically. Academics, at least on paper matter to the B10 (even though, like mentioned the Nubs lost their AAU accreditation after joining the B10).

With this news if the Big 12 doesn't get aggressive, like yesterday about adding Nebraska, BYU, or a Notre Dame type school they might as well kiss the Big 12 good-bye.

No idea where KU ends up. The dead weight is obviously the football team but academically KU is in good shape, has a great medical school side of the house and the basketball program. My gut reaction says the B10, because of proximity and all the other reasons mentioned. With the hiring of Leipold and a focus on improving the football program maybe KU can get to at least a respectable level in three years.

So if Texas leaves for the SEC, what does that do for the longhorn network? No way they keep that and the SEC already has their own network.

So if Texas leaves for the SEC, what does that do for the longhorn network? No way they keep that and the SEC already has their own network.

Id imagine there’s something in the contract where the new network would absorb the cost and buy it out. I don’t think it ends for a while so it would be a pretty big buy out

ESPN probably has every incentive to dead that thing at this point.

And I would guess the LHN is a non-starter for the SEC.

I'd guess there's more money to be made in the next SEC media rights than Texas is making annually off the LHN.

The whole landscape on media rights has shifted from geographic footprints and TVs to subscribers. So adding Texas and Oklahoma and their massive fan bases to what the SEC already has is potentially staggering financially.

I still have a hard time believing there won't be political issues behind the scenes that kill this thing before it takes off.

Texas might be able to get clear of Tech/Baylor/TCU this time around because Texas alum basically run the state government at this point. A&M had most of the seats when they were able to break away and Rick Perry was sitting in the governor's office -- and Baylor had enough political clout with Ken Starr and a couple others to drag Texas into the mud at the time.

But there's already members of the Texas legislature that are pushing legislature not allowing Texas to make these types of decisions in a bubble given the potential economic fallout to other major universities within the state.

I would guess Oklahoma still has hell breaking away from Oklahoma State when it comes to nut cutting time.

If all this happens I wonder what the ACCs next move would be, I’d have to imagine they’d try to lure notre dame in

Yahoo:

The notion of Oklahoma and Texas leaving behind public school brethren Oklahoma State and Texas Tech in the Big 12 wasn’t tenable during the last round of realignment a decade ago. Tech and Oklahoma State were part of the package that nearly went to the then Pac-10, which Oklahoma State hinted at in a statement Wednesday night.

“If (this news is true), we would be gravely disappointed,” Oklahoma State said in a statement. “While we place a premium on history, loyalty and trust, be assured, we will aggressively defend and advance what is best for Oklahoma State”

Translation: We will fight you in court and in the legislature.

It’s also bad business for Texas A&M to bring Texas into (the SEC), especially with the Longhorns teetering after a coaching change and the Aggies potentially boasting their best roster in a long time. A&M has a significant recruiting advantage and a financial advantage in the SEC. It'll do anything and everything to keep those.

Much like Oklahoma State will exhaust every political avenue to either follow or quash Oklahoma’s move, A&M will utilize every available political maneuver to be sure that the Longhorns don’t come in.

This is the type of decision that will impact political races.

------

These deals all come down to money. The money in the Big 12 isn’t terrible, as it’s the third-most annually among major conferences at nearly $38 million. But long term, the SEC would be a safer and higher-profile place for both programs, even if the road to the playoff – even a 12-team playoff – would be much rockier.

The SEC paid out $44.6 million per school last year. That number is expected to jump significantly when its antiquated deal with CBS ends in 2023.

If all this happens I wonder what the ACCs next move would be, I’d have to imagine they’d try to lure notre dame in

ND won’t join a conference until being Indy negatively impacts them.

If they run the table one year and lose in the first round when they could have had a bye, that’s probably when their boosters will lose their **** and demand they join a conference.

IMO, at least from a football stand point why would OU or Texas want to leave the Big 12. You get to beat up on a mostly cup cake conference schedule and with the playoff expanding you almost guarantee yourself a spot. Either one of those schools, especially UT goes to the SEC that road to the playoffs just got much harder. OU, while they can't get over the playoff hump is a top 5 / 7 program every year but UT, depending on how Sark does that could be a tough hill to climb when you are facing the Georgia's, Bama's, A&M's of the world.

Then you look at the money both of those schools could make in the SEC and you wonder how they held out for this long in the Big 12.

Also feels hilariously scripted/planned that this pops up on A&M's rotation at SEC Media days.
Pete Thamel said today that it was TAMU that leaked it intentionally during media days to try to sabotage Texas and OU doing it.

Said it was a TAMU beat writer and said it was great reporting but that it was curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom