OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Texas moves to the SEC and Sark is still the coach, I hope that he will be able to stay sober.

From a financial standpoint, obviously it makes sense to move to the SEC but from a wins and losses standpoint, it doesn't make much sense at all. Oklahoma will quickly go from an 11-1, perennial playoff threat and consistent conference title winner to a 9-3 team playing Georgia, LSU, Bama, Auburn, TAMU annually.

Texas will go from a 9-3 team to a 7-5/6-6. For the last decade, Texas has struggled with the likes of West Virginia and Kansas State, I don't like their chances going up against better competition every week.

I think Oklahoma and Texas hope to raise the profile of their programs but I fear moving to SEC might have the opposite effect. They'll go from the premier teams in the Big 12 to alsoran SEC teams.

If that’s the case, I’d honestly prefer we just merge into a mega conference then.

We could add KU and break into 9, 3 team pods. CCG is at the Rose Bowl.
Lol a 27 team conference is OD.

I also think SC has some interest in
1. ******* over Oregon because there’s bad blood there on an administrative level, and
2. Proving a point about the Pac 12’s dependence on them after they hung SC out to dry the past decade and supported the NCAA penalties against them which is why there’s also been so much talk about them going Indy.

So I doubt they bring anyone but UCLA/Stanford which there are love/hate relationships with along. This would be a definitive breakup.

Colorado is doing their own thing and even before this Texas/OU stuff there was talk of CU looking around. That was always downplayed because they were said to be very philosophically and academically happy to get out of the Big12 even if the PAC was a mess.

Last edited:
From a financial standpoint, obviously it makes sense to move to the SEC but from a wins and losses standpoint, it doesn't make much sense at all. Oklahoma will quickly go from an 11-1, perennial playoff threat and consistent conference title winner to a 9-3 team playing Georgia, LSU, Bama, Auburn, TAMU annually.

Texas will go from a 9-3 team to a 7-5/6-6. For the last decade, Texas has struggled with the likes of West Virginia and Kansas State, I don't like their chances going up against better competition every week.

I think Oklahoma and Texas hope to raise the profile of their programs but I fear moving to SEC might have the opposite effect. They'll go from the premier teams in the Big 12 to alsoran SEC teams.
They're going to struggle early on.

Texas is scrambling for anything to regain prominence. But there's no reason to think a program that hasn't been able to be consistently GREAT in a conference they've been handed - quite literally - every advantage they ever wanted...

They're jumping out of a life raft into the shark's mouth.

OU offensively is still going to be able to hang points on anyone, and being in the SEC might convince some more elite defensive guys to give them a look now. I wouldn’t worry about them.

UT is going to struggle tho, and Sark’s leash just got a lot shorter.

I think this is what you want to happen but Texas and Oklahoma will also likely recruit better and have better programs too. TAMU is turning the corner as a program in the SEC. I’m supposed to believe that Oklahoma and Texas won’t?

I think this is what you want to happen but Texas and Oklahoma will also likely recruit better and have better programs too. TAMU is turning the corner as a program in the SEC. I’m supposed to believe that Oklahoma and Texas won’t?
Texas has "turned the corner" for exactly one like 4-5 year stretch in the last 40 years in conferences that gave them everything.

Oklahoma will be fine.

Texas has "turned the corner" for exactly one like 4-5 year stretch in the last 40 years in conferences that gave them everything.

Oklahoma will be fine.
They won double digit games for the entire first decade of the 2000s :lol:. I know you hate them but they should be fine if they ever figure out the coach.

Also are we convinced Harsin is going to work out at Barn?

Gus might have worn out his welcome there, but I think history is going to remember his tenure there a lot more favorably considering the circumstances.

How would moving to the SEC help recruiting for Texas and Oklahoma? Those programs already have every possible advantage you could ask for.

The only thing Oklahoma has going for them is even if they lose 2-3 games a year now they’ll still get in the playoff if this weak *** 12 team format passes

Also are we convinced Harsin is going to work out at Barn?

Gus might have worn out his welcome there, but I think history is going to remember his tenure there a lot more favorably considering the circumstances.

I think Auburn might be the toughest head coaching job in the country when you combine expectations with reality.

I know a lot of Auburn fans and they expect to be competitive with Alabama every year and compete for conference championships but they consistently have the toughest schedule in the country. They play Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M in their division and Georgia is their annual crossover.

Auburn is an 8-4 team with 11-1 expectations. Got to mention they have the worst little brother situation in college football because they're in state arrival is currently having the best dynasty one in the history of the sport.

How would moving to the SEC help recruiting for Texas and Oklahoma? Those programs already have every possible advantage you could ask for.
They’ll expand their recruiting footprint. They’ll be able to sell to their recruits that they’re in the SEC. They can pitch in-state Texas kids the opportunity of staying at Texas or Oklahoma and playing SEC football. Literally look at TAMU and how much better they’ve been recruiting. It’s not hard to see or imagine.

They won double digit games for the entire first decade of the 2000s :lol:. I know you hate them but they should be fine if they ever figure out the coach.
And they only won two conference titles in that stretch. They've won 10 like 8 times in the 10 years since and the 40 years before. :lol:

They've been in a conference that catered to their every need and whim.

The fact that they hired White Sumlin - likely knowing FULL WELL this was coming when they did is... hysterical.
Right. They're already consistently both in the top 5-7 every single year. They both already have national footprints and they both sign a ton of kids in Texas every year.

It's not like A&M got an unreal boost in Texas that is gonna get eaten into. A&M's lifted their profile by stretching nationally and opening up avenues to do what Texas and OU and the other elite programs were doing.

Texas A&M success is completely tied to hiring Jimbo Fisher. If Sark is their guy at Texas, I can totally see them ascending but if Sark is like any one of their post-Mac Brown hires then Texas will be an Ole Miss caliber team playing in the toughest conference in the nation.

College football is almost completely, entirely tied to elite head coaches.

Oklahoma has one, I think. Texas... doesn't.

And they only won two conference titles in that stretch. They've won 10 like 8 times in the 10 years since and the 40 years before. :lol:

They've been in a conference that catered to their every need and whim.

The fact that they hired White Sumlin - likely knowing FULL WELL this was coming when they did is... hysterical.
I mean, they’re the flagship school in one of the best football states in the country. The facts are the facts though. Not many programs who can say they won double digit games for a decade straight across the sport. If TAMU can be successful in the SEC do we really have any reason to believe that Texas can’t?
Texas A&M success is completely tied to hiring Jimbo Fisher. If Sark is their guy at Texas, I can totally see them ascending but if Sark is like any one of their post-Mac Brown hires then Texas will be an Ole Miss caliber team playing in the toughest conference in the nation.
I mean, isn’t that obvious though? You immediately relegated both Texas and Oklahoma to being also rans. Of course it depends on how good Sark is.

…ok? The fact that they sucked this past decade is no secret. The fact that this is a money grab is even more obvious :lol:. What’s the smoking gun here?

There's no smoking gun. I just patently disagree with the idea that moving to a more difficult conference in the hopes that this will help recruiting (an area wherenthey don't struggle) and help their program. Unless Sark is the second coming of Jimbo Fisher, Texas is destined to be a mediocre SEC team.

Regardless, we'll see

There's no smoking gun. I just patently disagree with the idea that moving to a more difficult conference in the hopes that this will help recruiting (an area wherenthey don't struggle) and help their program. Unless Sark is the second coming of Jimbo Fisher, Texas is destined to be a mediocre SEC team.

Regardless, we'll see
like I said, the fact that this depends on how good their newly hired coach becomes is pretty obvious, no? They’re not moving to the SEC in hopes to improve recruiting. We’ve already established that the move is for money. All I’m saying is that recruiting will likely improve. They’ve been bleeding big Texas kids for a while now.

I think Texas has failed to recognize the reality that kids in Texas have so many more options than UT.

I will happily take Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC.... It's them darn Mizzou people that I don't want. Somebody please kick them out and replace em with Florida State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom