OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something Gus Johnson said on the broadcast while he and Klatt were ripping the air raid that felt incorrect to me but wasn't corrected:

He said when you run the football out of shotgun, a 3rd and 1 is really a 3rd and 5 because you're taking the snap so many yards back. This felt fundamentally dumb to me but I don't have the football playing schematic knowledge to explain why.

I was hoping some of you guys who are more versed in scheme could explain to me why Klatt and Gus believe running out of shotgun is a cardinal sin? I've always understood it's because you always present the threat of a quick throw or read when you don't have to turn your back to the line of scrimmage to hand it off?

Haven't watched this yet but assuming he says more of the same. Comments on twitter were saying the gist was "you need to be under center to run the ball":

Last edited:
Haven’t watched the vid yet, but you can have an effective running game out of the gun, but it needs to be paired up with an option and/or RPO threat.

It becomes a problem when a D doesn’t respect your QB as a runner, and they’ve figured out your RPO game.

Sounds like Klatt was taking about some under center stuff in short yardage situations in the vid.

From what I heard, shotgun coaches are usually against it because of the time it takes to rep a successful snap, and it eliminates the option and RPO game.

Sounds like Klatt was taking about some under center stuff in short yardage situations in the vid.

From what I heard, shotgun coaches are usually against it because of the time it takes to rep a successful snap, and it eliminates the option and RPO game.
Yeah, I agree with the criticism in that they don't want Slovis to keep any of those reads so the whole defense just crashes down on the RB. But the whole "the fundamental basics of football require you to take the handoff under center in short yardage" and "a shotgun snap turns a 3rd and 1 into a 3rd and 5" stuff he kept saying during the boradcast seems fundamentally wrong when I saw a stat that said LSU and Burrow were in shotgun for 97% of their plays last season.

There's something Gus Johnson said on the broadcast while he and Klatt were ripping the air raid that felt incorrect to me but wasn't corrected:

He said when you run the football out of shotgun, a 3rd and 1 is really a 3rd and 5 because you're taking the snap so many yards back. This felt fundamentally dumb to me but I don't have the football playing schematic knowledge to explain why.

I was hoping some of you guys who are more versed in scheme could explain to me why Klatt and Gus believe running out of shotgun is a cardinal sin? I've always understood it's because you always present the threat of a quick throw or read when you don't have to turn your back to the line of scrimmage to hand it off?

Haven't watched this yet but assuming he says more of the same. Comments on twitter were saying the gist was "you need to be under center to run the ball":

Chip Kelly use to run inside and outside-zone all the time out of the gun. He did that at both the college and pro level. With the introduction of RPO schemes your o-line schemes will typically look the same regardless if it is a pass or run. Now that same principle can be applied under center with play action passing but your offensive line would show pass pro only from that read because that is a passing concept only.
At the end of the day whether you be under center or in the gun your o-line has to execute which allows everything else to follow to do the same.

speeds up his transfer to SC
Zo.gif

The McClain brothers are transferring out. Their mom’s a she wolf. She needs to chill with the social media though. Her son’s still being investigated by the feds as part of an unemployment fraud ring... I don’t think he knowingly did anything overly wrong but if I was her lawyer I’d tell her to chill and stop making it hot.

The McClain brothers are transferring out. Their mom’s a she wolf. She needs to chill with the social media though. Her son’s still being investigated by the feds as part of an unemployment fraud ring... I don’t think he knowingly did anything overly wrong but if I was her lawyer I’d tell her to chill and stop making it hot.

Is she blaming Helton or SC?

Didn’t some stuff happen with an LSU RB even before Oregeron got there as well?

I may be thinking of Guice still but I thought this wasn’t the first time there was some drama

Jermey Hill sucker punched a frat bro if IIRC and even before he got on campus, he had to sit out a year because he was messing with a 8th or 9th grader when he was a senior in HS, and the father pressed charges IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom