OFFICIAL 2021 NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - YAWNIST WITH THE CLOSEOUT 50 PIECE - BUCKS WITH FIRST CHIP SINCE ‘73 - CP0 LOSES AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the racial unrest last year, ESPN put Maria Taylor as the sole host of NBA TV (previously it was both). Rachel was relegated to sideline reporter.

She sought advice from Mr Mendehlohn (sp). Where she shared her frustration with her reduced position. Most of her issues were directed toward ESPN; however, she made the off hand racist comment that Maria only got the position due to the fact she was black. Not on her ability, which we know isn’t the case. Maria is a great on air personality.

Additionally, Mendehlson (sp) makes a comment that’s he’s tired of Me Too and BLM. Rachel laughs.

All of this was uploaded to ESPN servers unbeknownst to Rachel who was recording it.

Folks found the video and shared in the company. Maria was obviously upset about it. She was already negotiating a new contract (where she is rumored to have asked for SAS money). Now, there’s the possibility of her departing Disney. ESPN didn’t do anything except suspend the BLACK female employee who shared the video with Maria. All of Maria’s NBA TV cohosts have stuck up for her.

The situation highlights that there isn’t anyone more hated than the black woman (in my Coach Hubie voice).

ESPN has a toxic work environment and has a long way to go in the department of diversity and developing a very tolerant culture.

Rachel definitely has undercover racist tendencies.

Lebron is in a compromised position because of his and Rich Paul’s relationship to Mendehlson (sp).

Ah I see the me too/BLM" context def makes it worse.

Who's medelsohn? What connection does he have to Bron?

What nbatv stuff? I've never seen either of them on NBA tv. Thought nbq tv was connected with TNT, not disney

Ah I see the me too/BLM" context def makes it worse.
I think what needs to be confirmed is if Rich Paul was on the phone call. I've seen his name thrown around..
Who's medelsohn? What connection does he have to Bron?

What nbatv stuff? I've never seen either of them on NBA tv. Thought nbq tv was connected with TNT, not disney
NBA Countdown. Corrected. Mendelsohn is Lebron's publicist.

Welp the washedness overcame me and some of the 3rd and the whole 4th quarter.

After seeing most of Middleton going super saiyan I felt comfortable that the Bucks had the game, although they almost went full Buck and tricked it off in the 4th.

Jrue and Middleton came up big in closing this series with Giannis out especially after struggling in the Nets series.

Props to the Hawks. McMillian did a helluva job and Trae is indeed tha Truth.

Now time to catch up on the thread.

more like Stephanie Reggie

ezgif-4-8fee0859129d-gif.2777930

With a healthy Giannis, Bucks vs Suns sounds pretty exciting.

Now, idk.

I expect Suns to win. Would be lulz if Bucks win though

But Rusty, don't you think that we need to start calling these people what they are which is racist? I think Rachel is a full blown racist. Her default position was to basically imply that a less qualified "diversity" hire shouldn't get something over her. This is the type of racism that is so dangerous.
So people don't complain about my essays :lol:...

I don't have any problem with people calling her any kind of racist. I was not trying to push back on anyone doing that. I mean she sounded mad flippant when she said it so it irk me too. I just think IMO her nonsense is coming from another place that just being full-blown racism, because she seems to have an issue with the white male good ole boys club at ESPN as well. Her comments and attitude still make her an ally to racists, and a roadblock to black folk advancing at ESPN. If you take her attitudes and apply them more broadly, it can manifest as a roadblock to black advancement more generally.

Just saying that is not what she did though, not exactly. Like I said I have not listened to the whole 20 mins, parts are inaudible, but I have heard I think there is another phenomenon taking place. If more comes out, I will happily call her whatever.

I don't think she called Taylor less qualified, or unqualified. And I didn't hear she being against the advance of black professionals at ESPN generally. This is what an outright racist would say and believe.

She said she wishes success on Taylor, it is just that she doesn't want to pay any cost of ESPN's problematic management trying to make up for their past sins, she wants someone else to have to pay the cost of making things right. I would guess she would have been perfectly fine with Taylor replacing a middle-aged white guy on a program, but not her. Hell anyone but her. She sees herself as mainly a victim of ESPN's good ole boy club too, and she feels that she overcame that hierarchy strictly through her hard work. Because of this framing of the situation in her mind it prevents her some A) Truly supporting the advancement of black people at ESPN like she claims B) Preventing her from seeing how her whiteness gives her an advantage over a black woman C) Implying the Andrews is getting ahead through other means than hard work, which is the worst thing of all.

Now of course she peddled an implictly racist comment too, but she did it not to talk down on black advancement generally, she did it to protect her on gains. Everything seems to not be about a racial grievance against black people specifically, but a feeling she shouldn't have to make any sacrifices to help anyone because white men are trying to make up for their past nonsense. Everything is about her, that is her only interest.

That is why I didn't call her a full-blown racist, not because I have some affinity for her as a person or an interest in defending ****** white people. I have zero issues with people that calling her a racist. I mean **** her for what she said, she is still a self-centered clown for her actions. Seems she doesn't realize that either. I just think it is important to see how problematic Nichols's comments are beyond the implicit racism.

Like those NIMBYs I mentioned, some of them are black people (I didn't want to mention this before so I don't open a can of worms). They argue they support helping lower-income black folk getting affordable housing but they don't think it is fair for their home values to be affected, or for a homeless shelter to be near their home because it will bring crime and drugs. Now, these well-meaning black people are unknowingly being allies for white supremacy because they don't want to pay the smallest of cost. And they repeat implicitly racist nonsense to defend their positions. They support justice, or believe they do, but only if they are not inconvenienced. I see this playing out in Nichols's comments. This feeling that change is only acceptable as long as she is not inconvenienced.

In the end, I don't think not condemning Nichols as outright racism lets her off the hook that much. The people she saw as the bad actors finally got pressured to make a good move, but she felt it unfair because she feels she should pay no cost for a better ESPN to exist. That is still beyond ****** from her, F her for all she said and did. People holding her self-centered view are a roadblock to redistributive policies as much as the outright racist. Not because they are faking it, but because they believe they are on the right side of the argument, have a good point about white men's ****tiness, but in the end will not go against the status quo if that means they are inconvenienced, making them allies for the people they claim to have the biggest issue with (the white men). Once Nichols had one opportunity taken away from her, she was out. On what spectrum of racism someone wants to classify that as I got a little issue with. Just pointing the nuance to her ******* that might get missed by just calling her an outright racist that was faking it all along

Last edited:
Bucks winning would be good for teams keeping big stars in smaller markets instead of them running to join super teams

Phoenix winning would be good for older vets and rookie / young players who the league want to push out or downplay them ….

it’s good for the league either way

She also tried to emasculate T-Mac on live television for not wanting to participate in the "hot pepper challenge"...

Oh ****, I was unaware. Bruh...these people are all bad. I don't watch much ESPN so my take is asymmetrical to some of you, but damn, I thought she was aight. Probably why there wasn't a big uproar when Rachel stole her job. Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom