OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if Bama is going to make a run at a young up and coming coach like the Illinois DC
I live in Bama and in order to keep boosters and fans from calling for the coach to be fired after the first 6 games, I think they go with high profile/established coach, i.e. Kiffin, Smart or Dabo

The only way a up and coming coach gets a chance is if Saban publicly endorses him as a coach in waiting

Last edited:
Bama needs to get rid of their WR coach as well. He got saved by Jamison Williams from the portal but them WRs should be a lot better than they are.

Is that really true? Based on ranking or?

I feel like they’ve missed on some evals, I don’t think it’s the coaching.

Some of those guys are going to get processed out this offseason, and I doubt they are going to be any better in another situation.

The announcers on the show made a good point: The committee has shown that they value the loss column more than anything else. If you were a top team and your goal is to optimize your chances to make the playoff, why would you schedule difficult out of conference games? LSU and Oregon would have been better off playing FCS teams and being undefeated or having one loss. Their rewarding Michigan for playing an easy out of conference schedule

The announcers on the show made a good point: The committee has shown that they value the loss column more than anything else. If you were a top team and your goal is to optimize your chances to make the playoff, why would you schedule difficult out of conference games? LSU and Oregon would have been better off playing FCS teams and being undefeated or having one loss. Their rewarding Michigan for playing an easy out of conference schedule

The tiebreaker that is winning your conference still hasn’t been factored in, I doubt Michigan actually gets in over a 12-1 Oregon.

LSU also has 2 L’s and has only been playing good football for like 2 weeks.

Some of those guys are going to get processed out this offseason, and I doubt they are going to be any better in another situation.
Completely agree with that. Fans harp so much on “development” but sometimes it’s just missed evals. They went from recruiting superhuman WRs to having guys who just don’t have the same game breaking ability.

I live in Bama and in order to keep boosters and fans from calling for the coach to be fired after the first 6 games, I think they go with high profile/established coach, i.e. Kiffin, Smart or Dabo

The only way a up and coming coach gets a chance is if Saban publicly endorses him as a coach in waiting
lol think he’s talking about as coordinator not as Saban’s replacement :lol:

If they’re gonna cry about USC why aren’t they crying about Bama?

Exactly. Name brands are doing a lot of heavy lifting for USC in Alabama. It's also has a lot to do with the fact that they were highly ranked in the initial AP and coaches polls.

Alabama has two good losses but they're best to win is a one-point win against Texas with their starting QB missing 3/4 of the game.

USC hasn't beaten a top 25 team all year

If you take the names off of these schools and just look at the resumes, neither of them would be the top 15 🤷🏿‍♂️

Completely agree with that. Fans harp so much on “development” but sometimes it’s just missed evals. They went from recruiting superhuman WRs to having guys who just don’t have the same game breaking ability.

Playing devils advocate here, isn’t recruiting and evaluation a part of the coaching requirement?

Playing devils advocate here, isn’t recruiting and evaluation a part of the coaching requirement?
I’d definitely say yea, but do we think the WR coach at Bama is driving that? Saban has a maniacal recruiting operation from top to bottom and I’d imagine they have a profile for each position. How much of that is coach driven?

He’s doing fine on the recruiting tip. Agiye Hall, Christian Leary, JaCorey Brooks, JoJo Earle, Jalen Hale, etc. We’re punishing him because these guys are DeVonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy and Jaylen Waddle? Bryce is still putting up numbers in the pass game.

Exactly. Name brands are doing a lot of heavy lifting for USC in Alabama. It's also has a lot to do with the fact that they were highly ranked in the initial AP and coaches polls.

Alabama has two good losses but they're best to win is a one-point win against Texas with their starting QB missing 3/4 of the game.

USC hasn't beaten a top 25 team all year

If you take the names off of these schools and just look at the resumes, neither of them would be the top 15 🤷🏿‍♂️
I’ll make the devils advocate argument on behalf of USC since that’s obviously the team I know best:

1. This is all dumb because we still have to see UCLA, Notre Dame, and possibly Oregon/Utah. So this “they don’t have any ranked wins!” Thing will sort it self out. Never mind that their opponents are 40-41, have a top 8 SOS, and a lot of the teams ahead of them have opponent overall records that are something like 35-46.

2. This fixation on “THEY DON’T HAVE RANKED WINS” is stupid when it’s used to argue against USC’s poll ranking… it’s almost as if the rankings don’t tell the whole story…?

3. The committee in response to a question about usc losing to Utah who UCLA Beat said flat out that they watched the game and they thought a loss on an end of game 2 point conversion on the road to a team that’s lost like 3 games at home since 2015, in a game with “a lot of emotion and other stuff” was a good loss. They’re politely saying to you what I’ve been saying whenever people go “they lost to the only ranked team they faced!”

4. And further on the above point. You can’t box score watch teams. They said verbatim “it’s not about the losses. How did the games go and was it a dominating win for the other team?” In re: usc “struggling” Vs pac 12 opponents etc., I ask again besides Oregon State and Utah what opponents have they “struggled with.” Did you come away from any of those games thinking usc was ever in any danger of losing or do you just see a team you believe to be bad scored 20-30 and think USC must have struggled?

For example, the point I was trying to make to witnesskb24 witnesskb24 was USC has been averaging like 9 yards per play and 7 yards per carry against their last 3 opponents (Utah included) and that’s without both our starting WRs. Caleb has 1200 yards, 14 TDs, 0 INTs in the last 3 games. Yes our defense has given up points but they’re STILL forcing turnovers. And that’s without their 4 starting linebackers (shane Lee JUST came back the last two games.)

Bonus: USC could sit on the ball with that kind of rushing output and just bleed clock like Clemson has been doing. But why cage your Heisman candidate? This feels a lot like 2018 when we were in here arguing if Kyler would win the Heisman until it was obvious. And THAT OU team had a worse defense than this SC team and potential for fewer top 25 wins.

Last edited:
I’d definitely say yea, but do we think the WR coach at Bama is driving that? Saban has a maniacal recruiting operation from top to bottom and I’d imagine they have a profile for each position. How much of that is coach driven?

He’s doing fine on the recruiting tip. Agiye Hall, Christian Leary, JaCorey Brooks, JoJo Earle, Jalen Hale, etc. We’re punishing him because these guys are DeVonta Smith, Jerry Jeudy and Jaylen Waddle? Bryce is still putting up numbers in the pass game.

I think the OC drives the requirements that he wants out of the WR core, and Bama's army of off field guys do the initial evals to see who is Bama quality or not, but I would be very surprised if the OC and WR coach are not tied at the hip with the actually nitty gritty evaluations of the prospects. I know at most places the position coaches have to argue or go to bat for the prospects that they feel are worthy of being takes and becoming a part of the team. Ultimately the end call is on the HC but the WR coach has a major factor in that.

I agree that it would be silly to punish a guy for not having 3-4 1st round guys every year (hell even at OSU and their stacked WR room they still have issues with guys outside of he who shall not be named jr.) but with the way that they recruit every year you would think that they'd be getting a bit more production out of that group.

I also don't think that BOB or the OL are doing them any favors (and in reality the WR aren't performing THAT BAD, if you compare them to most teams out there). The stuff they're running now seems to be so predicated on having a DUDE out there so now when you don't have that guy it makes it all look a bit worse

Like I said, I don’t have any problem where USC is ranked, they’re in a P5 conference with one loss and all of that will sort it self out. I said I haven’t been overly impressed by them as a WHOLE (their defense being their only issue) and maybe that’s being a victim of box score watching. All I know is if other top ten teams beat multiple 3-6 teams by 6-8 points you’d never hear the end of it on here (See: Clemson)

But on the same hand, if the writers are going to ***** about USC being where they are based off resume (which nako xl nako xl showed that tweet thread), why is Bama up there? Because of a BS win against a 3 loss Texas? Who has ole miss beaten, Kentucky? They never want to touch on their darlings that they slurp up all year when crying about other teams resumes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom