OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the OC drives the requirements that he wants out of the WR core, and Bama's army of off field guys do the initial evals to see who is Bama quality or not, but I would be very surprised if the OC and WR coach are not tied at the hip with the actually nitty gritty evaluations of the prospects. I know at most places the position coaches have to argue or go to bat for the prospects that they feel are worthy of being takes and becoming a part of the team. Ultimately the end call is on the HC but the WR coach has a major factor in that.

I agree that it would be silly to punish a guy for not having 3-4 1st round guys every year (hell even at OSU and their stacked WR room they still have issues with guys outside of he who shall not be named jr.) but with the way that they recruit every year you would think that they'd be getting a bit more production out of that group.

I also don't think that BOB or the OL are doing them any favors (and in reality the WR aren't performing THAT BAD, if you compare them to most teams out there). The stuff they're running now seems to be so predicated on having a DUDE out there so now when you don't have that guy it makes it all look a bit worse
Yea, agree with all of that. Especially on the OSU point — when all of these kids have been hyped to the max and they’ve led the WR arms race.

Was thinking about how much of this was a BOB thing as well. But I remember Saban also wanting to go back to a more running focused attack too, so I wonder what type of coach he’ll bring in when BOB inevitably leaves.

Tony Annese has that program rolling... Living in West Michigan, not the most glowing remarks on how he runs that program but could be sour grapes

Probably sour grapes, people didn’t like him at Muskegon either because he won.

I’ll say this, I haven’t heard the rumors of former players outright hating him like I did with BK at GVSU and CMU. I hope Annese gets a shot at a MAC job soon.

Like I said, I don’t have any problem where USC is ranked, they’re in a P5 conference with one loss and all of that will sort it self out. I said I haven’t been overly impressed by them as a WHOLE (their defense being their only issue) and maybe that’s being a victim of box score watching. All I know is if other top ten teams beat multiple 3-6 teams by 6-8 points you’d never hear the end of it on here (See: Clemson)

But on the same hand, if the writers are going to ***** about USC being where they are based off resume (which nako xl nako xl showed that tweet thread), why is Bama up there? Because of a BS win against a 3 loss Texas? Who has ole miss beaten, Kentucky? They never want to touch on their darlings that they slurp up all year when crying about other teams resumes

Oregon's defense is also very bad, which no one ever seems to mention when discussing THEM at #6. They're something like 3rd in OPPD and 94th in DPPD. We're 5th and 95th respectively. They also gave up 27 to a terrible Stanford (who had already lost Emmitt Smith Jr.) and 24 to Cal. They only beat Wazzu by 3 and that was after a total 4th quarter collapse by the cougs who were up 3 TDs late.

Oregon's best win so far is UCLA and that was at home. If we're using a similar metric to measure them, they've played two ranked teams and one of those was a 46 point loss that could have been far worse.

Why is there no uproar about THEIR resume? Because the PAC12 has put 6 Bo Nix games on at 3:30-4pm EST while Caleb Williams and USC have only had 3 TV games this year that kicked off before 9:30 PM EST (all 3 were on at 7:30-8pm EST)? Hmm.

Last edited:

Is that supposed to justify a top ten team beating multiple teams with losing records by one score?

Serious question, as a USC fan who has playoff hopes for his team, were you happy with those games that we spoke about? Did you say “man they looked great” after?

That’s all I’m getting at. I haven’t felt great watching tOSU in 3 weeks but I’m okay admitting when they don’t look good

Is that supposed to justify a top ten team beating multiple teams with losing records by one score?

Serious question, as a USC fan who has playoff hopes for his team, were you happy with those games that we spoke about? Did you say “man they looked great” after?

That’s all I’m getting at. I haven’t felt great watching tOSU in 3 weeks but I’m okay admitting when they don’t look good
I edited my post to add more, but to answer your question: Context matters. Our offense is elite but our defense is middling to bad. But our defense also leads the country in turnover margin and interceptions. And they FORCE those turnovers.

I have been happy with every USC game I have watched this year. Even in the Utah game, where I was unhappy with their TE's performance, I understood the context of what I was watching: injuries and ****** refs.

In games like the Cal game where you point to a team you perceive as being bad due to their losing record, keeping it close I think "USC had 12 offensive drives and 7 of those lasted for less than 4 minutes and 6 resulted in touchdowns, so our defense was on the field A LOT. I also know that they recovered an onside kick and scored a late TD to make the loss look better for them, but they were never going to win that game."

I think we watch games differently. I don't just look at the final score. With USC I see a team that's 1-2 years ahead of schedule and at 100% could beat anyone but the elite.

I saw your post about if I think there are 12 teams better than USC with regards about ranking. Is this based off of them vs teams ahead of them or do we factor in resume as well?

If it’s based off resume combined with a head to head predictor then yeah I 100% think USC is overrated at 8, but not by much. I’d put Bama and UCLA for sure. One could argue Penn State and UNC as well but I think USC would beat both of them so I’d put them right behind USC. This is also my problem with teams like Bama, Clemson, and Ole Miss. If they’re going to have Bama up there because of talent and not resume that’s fine but all the other teams should be like that too. If they’re going to factor in resume then there is no way Bama should be there. If UGA and OSU beat mediocre teams by close scores folks would be screaming about them being overrated. We already saw that with UGA/Missouri and OSU against their last 3 (one being the 13th ranked team). Why isn’t USC held to that standard?

So I ask you this, do you think with resume AND head to head prediction combined USC is better than:

UGA
OSU
Michigan
TCU
Tennessee
Oregon
LSU
Bama
Utah (only listed because of H2H result, regardless of officiating)
Penn State
North Carolina
Clemson

Again, I have never said I think USC is a bad team nor do I think they are. I said they remind me of Clemson humming along and could POTENTIALLY get beaten by another team by a few scores

I saw your post about if I think there are 12 teams better than USC with regards about ranking. Is this based off of them vs teams ahead of them or do we factor in resume as well?

If it’s based off resume combined with a head to head predictor then yeah I 100% think USC is overrated at 8, but not by much. I’d put Bama and UCLA for sure. One could argue Penn State and UNC as well but I think USC would beat both of them so I’d put them right behind USC. This is also my problem with teams like Bama, Clemson, and Ole Miss. If they’re going to have Bama up there because of talent and not resume that’s fine but all the other teams should be like that too. If they’re going to factor in resume then there is no way Bama should be there. If UGA and OSU beat mediocre teams by close scores folks would be screaming about them being overrated. We already saw that with UGA/Missouri and OSU against their last 3 (one being the 13th ranked team). Why isn’t USC held to that standard?

So I ask you this, do you think with resume AND head to head prediction combined USC is better than:

UGA
OSU
Michigan
TCU
Tennessee
Oregon
LSU
Bama
Utah (only listed because of H2H result, regardless of officiating)
Penn State
North Carolina
Clemson

Again, I have never said I think USC is a bad team nor do I think they are. I said they remind me of Clemson humming along and could POTENTIALLY get beaten by another team by a few scores
I may not be understanding your question correctly, but I think USC has a better loss than Oregon, Tennessee, and Clemson, and the other teams you listed are either undefeated or have multiple losses so there really isn't a resume comparison to be made.

I may not be understanding your question correctly, but I think USC has a better loss than Oregon, Tennessee, and Clemson, and the other teams you listed are either undefeated or have multiple losses so there really isn't a resume comparison to be made.

Essentially I’m asking you to put yourself on the committee (fandom aside) and see if you think those teams I listed are better than USC or not. Based off of:

-Talent (would USC beat the teams listed)
-Body of work (Wins, losses, margin of victory)

You can still compare resumes regardless of how many wins and losses a team has, they do it weekly

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why do you think USC’s loss is better than Tennessee’s or Oregon’s? They lost to the defending national champions and there’s a strong possibly they could win it again this year.

Out of curiosity, why do you think USC’s loss is better than Tennessee’s or Oregon’s? They lost to the defending national champions and there’s a strong possibly they could win it again this year.

I’m assuming he’s going off of margin of victory

Which circles back to my whole argument about them (USC) having such a small margin of victory against bad teams

So does margin of victory matter, or no?

I’m assuming he’s going off of margin of victory

Which circles back to my whole argument about them (USC) having such a small margin of victory against bad teams

So does margin of victory matter, or no?
Margin of victory and actual game events.

Oregon got absolutely destroyed. They looked like an FCS team and that’s even after UGA stopped trying to score. I was at that game and UGA could have dropped 60-70 if they wanted to.

Tennessee, similarly, got destroyed. The score wasn’t reflective of that game. They couldn’t do ****.

Granted both games were on the road, but USC lost by 1 point on essentially the last play of the game in one of the toughest road environments in the nation. It’s the same reason I think Alabama’s losses are good losses. It’s not just because they’re against SEC teams.

Oregon got absolutely destroyed. They looked like an FCS team and that’s even after UGA stopped trying to score. I was at that game and UGA could have dropped 60-70 if they wanted to.

Tennessee, similarly, got destroyed. The score wasn’t reflective of that game. They couldn’t do ****.

Granted both games were on the road, but USC lost by 1 point on essentially the last play of the game in one of the toughest road environments in the nation. It’s the same reason I think Alabama’s losses are good losses. It’s not just because they’re against SEC teams.

I agree 100%, I think MOV should absolutely factor in.

As for Bama, they’ve probably got the 2 “best losses” in the nation next to Penn State but you also have to ask who have they beaten? That’s essentially my issue with where they are ranked. At the end of the day they’re basically a non factor for the playoff but we have gone so many years seeing them get the benefit of the doubt when they lose. In my opinion they should be right around where Penn State is or if we are going to reward good losses then Penn State should be higher

I’m very curious to see how far the loser of OSU/Michigan drops if it’s a close one score game

Last edited:
Like I said, I don’t have any problem where USC is ranked, they’re in a P5 conference with one loss and all of that will sort it self out. I said I haven’t been overly impressed by them as a WHOLE (their defense being their only issue) and maybe that’s being a victim of box score watching. All I know is if other top ten teams beat multiple 3-6 teams by 6-8 points you’d never hear the end of it on here (See: Clemson)

But on the same hand, if the writers are going to ***** about USC being where they are based off resume (which nako xl nako xl showed that tweet thread), why is Bama up there? Because of a BS win against a 3 loss Texas? Who has ole miss beaten, Kentucky? They never want to touch on their darlings that they slurp up all year when crying about other teams resumes

Nako and Casper would both agree that I’ve been very critical of USC because I am a huge fan. I’ve watched every single USC game this year and they’ve looked really good, really bad and really mid in every game. That Utah game was stolen by the refs. Do I think they are overrated? No, are they a playoff team right now? No but if they finish their schedule and win the PAC 10 championship then they deserve to go into the playoffs. Right now UGA is the team to beat but they should’ve lost to Mizzou. Michigan has to show me more and beat tOSU which they probably won’t. tOSU is probably the #2 team and I want to see them against UGA.

It was also Oregon’s opener, on the road with an entirely new coaching staff in their first-ever game with pretty much a roster full of guys that weren’t their recruits. I still think Oregon would get their cheeks clapped bad again if played tomorrow, but not as bad as the 1st game slaughter.

Lincoln had a stud QB and WR who have had time in his system follow him to SC. The Utah team USC lost to also has 2 losses, one of which is to the 5-4 Gators. Hard to say when you lost to the number 1 team in the country, that a 2 loss Utah team is a better loss IMO.

You think USC could stay within 2-3 TDs of UGA? I think UGA would beat them somewhere in between Oregon’s and UTk’s throttling.

As much as I hate to say it, I can’t think of team Ive watched that can beat UGA this year. I will say I have only seen about a half of tOSU, so not too sure about them, but I fully expect UGA to win the NC again this year.

nako xl nako xl lets say Bama loses on a last second field goal this week, how far do they drop? How far will the “good loss” argument for them be used? I’d be willing to bet they’d drop maybe 2-3 spots and be a 3 loss team in the top 12…which is ridiculous

pWas thinking about how much of this was a BOB thing as well. But I remember Saban also wanting to go back to a more running focused attack too, so I wonder what type of coach he’ll bring in when BOB inevitably leaves.

As crazy as this is to say, part of the problem may be that they don’t have the guys up front to run that kind of offense, at least as of now

nako xl nako xl lets say Bama loses on a last second field goal this week, how far do they drop? How far will the “good loss” argument for them be used? I’d be willing to bet they’d drop maybe 2-3 spots and be a 3 loss team in the top 12…which is ridiculous

OM being a “good loss” is crazy, though it will very likely get framed that way

They got SMOKED by the 1 good team they faced & their best win was vs a beat up Kentucky team who fell apart during the game. They’re reaping the benefits of starting with a charmin soft schedule

Maybe. I do think the further you get into the season the larger the sample size you have to work with. Bama’s best win is prob 3 loss Texas. Penn State, the team you used for comparison’s, best win is… maybe Ohio? Maybe Minnesota? This is just week 2 of the playoff ranking but with more games they’ll have more evidence to support their poll.

fahqu001 fahqu001 i don’t think USC is ready to be on the same field as UGA. In re score prediction: Oregon is currently 1st in offensive PPD and 82nd in defensive PPD SC is 4th in O and 100th in DPPD so the teams aren’t that dissimilar.

11432690.jpeg

There's an associated Wisconsin thread that's odd: https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/board/23/Contents/braelon-allen-197232052/?page=1

It starts focused on Michigan and then takes a turn when they realize Allen began following Bama nad USC coaches and almost laser focuses on USC. They accuse USC of tampering and contacting Braelon Allen but say he reached out to Michigan coaches. It's very weird :lol:

Surely, he's not following other coaches because he just wants an NIL increase.

Last edited:
If I’m honest every team in the top 10 has flaws that the other teams can take advantage of on any given day. This is the most wide open CFP season we’ve had in some time. People mad about USC and where they are ranked should realize that these rankings are a week by week thing where the committee starts over every week. Very fluid situation. We don’t have a truly dominant team this year so it is anyone’s ball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom