OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no piece of data showing correlation between going to certain schools/conferences, or playing a certain schemes or playing for any specific coach and NFL success.

Look at the top QBs in the NFL, it's a scrap shoot a different schools, conferences and schemes.

I think QB more than any other position is based on the individual prospect and their development. This is why I always use the metric of being drafted highly. Once you in the NFL, it's completely on you and the situation you're in.

Ohio State would put Dylan in a much better position to be drafted highly
Not exactly in response to your reply, but I’ve never understood the argument about certain schools not nurturing players who succeed at the next level. The whole idea of college is to go get drafted. Why is it the school’s failure if they consistently have a position drafted in the 1st round and those guys don’t end up working out at the next level? As an example, Ohio State does a damned good job at showcasing QBs. It’s not on them to make that player a successful pro.

“We spent so much on this last class and completely sucked this year. Now all these great players want to transfer out and I can’t do anything about it”
Not really what happened, but I know y’all have your narrative. Most of the class that transferred out weren’t allowed back by the school and not the football program.

Will Jimbo give up play calling duties? He’s his own worst enemy.
Jimbo said in a presser yesterday their goal was to have someone call plays.

We'll see.
“We spent so much on this last class and completely sucked this year. Now all these great players want to transfer out and I can’t do anything about it”
Yeah, that's not really what happened - like at all. :lol:

They've still not lost a single guy from last year's class that isn't a goon and saw the field.

Chris Marshall, Denver Harris and PJ Williams were removed by the university. Marshall and Harris fought til the end to try and stay. MGK and Smoke are rumored to have their own issues - we'll see if they're able to actually transfer D1.

And UGA for clowned for being 9-3. But y’all don’t spend money like a program that wants to be 8-4, that’s why you get clowned :lol:

This. They get clowned for paying Jimbo all that money and getting absolutely nothing in return and will get further clowned when that recruiting class produces nothing in the next 2-3 seasons. Obviously can’t expect much from a class year one but to not even make a bowl? Whew :lol:

Based on what exactly outside of them being a big program?

They're about to have three consecutive starting quarterbacks drafted in the first round. Alabama is also about to have their third consecutive starting QB drafted in the first round. The schools do a better job of getting players drafted highly as of late.

That's not to say that he cannot be drafted in the first round coming out of Nebraska, but Ohio State would put in better position.

. The schools do a better job of getting players drafted highly as of late.
Or they just have better QBs going there? I think we can all agree that QBs aren’t really the same as other positions. Tua, Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Justin Fields would’ve been 1st rounders in other situations as well. I’m just not buying that a QB needs to go to one of those spots for being on “the stage”. Someone like Mac Jones definitely benefited from playing around talented guys at Bama

Or they just have better QBs going there? I think we can all agree that QBs aren’t really the same as other positions. Tua, Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Justin Fields would’ve been 1st rounders in other situations as well. I’m just not buying that a QB needs to go to one of those spots for being on “the stage”. Someone like Mac Jones definitely benefited from playing around talented guys at Bama

I disagree. It's very easy to say "this guy would have been at first rounder anyway, regardless of the situation he would have been in." Literally half of five star quarterbacks bust so just saying that these five star quarterbacks would have been good regardless of where they went to school is naive.

Also, not all those guys were five-star players. Tua, Mac Jones, CJ Stroud and Haskins we're all 4-stars which is an even bigger crap shoot.

Schools like Alabama and Ohio State putting three consecutive starting quarterbacks into the first round is incredible. Development those players got at those schools cannot be discounted.

8-4 with a Top 25 finish being average :lol:. I don’t think you understand the broader CFB landscape outside of the bigger programs. Most programs would kill for consistent 8 wins.

It's all relative. Given TAMU's resources, proximity to talent commitment to football and literal talent on the roster they should be performing better. Comparing Texas A&M to a G5 school doesn't make sense.

Texas A&M reminds me of the Jim Donnan Georgia squads

Not exactly in response to your reply, but I’ve never understood the argument about certain schools not nurturing players who succeed at the next level. The whole idea of college is to go get drafted. Why is it the school’s failure if they consistently have a position drafted in the 1st round and those guys don’t end up working out at the next level? As an example, Ohio State does a damned good job at showcasing QBs. It’s not on them to make that player a successful pro.

I totally agree. People act as though it is some type of indictment on Lincoln Riley that some of the QBs he has had struggle in the NFL. Once you are in the NFL, it's completely on the individual prospect. Job of college coaches is to maximize your ability and put you in the best position to succeed in college so you can be drafted highly. After that, it's on you as a player.

I don't think that Lloyd Carr developed Tom Brady into some amazing QB. I don't think Jeff Tedford made Aaron Rodgers into a Hall of Fame QB. Those individuals just worked incredibly hard to be high level NFL QBs.

I disagree. It's very easy to say "this guy would have been at first rounder anyway, regardless of the situation he would have been in." Literally half of five star quarterbacks bust so just saying that these five star quarterbacks would have been good regardless of where they went to school is naive.

Also, not all those guys were five-star players. Tua, Mac Jones, CJ Stroud and Haskins we're all 4-stars which is an even bigger crap shoot.

Schools like Alabama and Ohio State putting three consecutive starting quarterbacks into the first round is incredible. Development those players got at those schools cannot be discounted.
Tua and Stroud were 5 stars. Tua was the #1 QB in the country. Minor to the overall debate, probably, but those dudes were surer things than you're portraying them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom