OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still haven’t seen one of these videos :lol:

Pate is spot on about Jimbo.

tmay407 tmay407 N41D N41D King starting this week?
Nothing official yet.

There was a point in the game Saturday where Max had his helmet on warming up on the sidelines, then Achane returned the kick for a TD and tied the game and nothing happened.

I would guess nothing changes to start Saturday, but we're entering that game on a very short leash. Then Max gets the brutal stretch of Arkansas/MSU/Bama to try and salvage the season... Then if it's totally tanked after Bama, Connor starts the rest of the year.

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 11.59.56 AM.png

This is basically it for me.

Does Jimbo need to modernize what he does to some degree? Probably - though I'd argue if he'd just cut the playbook in half and play with more tempo. more often, it would fix a lot. Should he let someone else call plays, even if it's broadly within the infrastructure of what he wants to do? This feels like a no brainer to me - he just has too much on his plate and he's failing as a micromanager because of it.

But he's just so lost and confused around what he wants at quarterback it's astounding. He's the anti-Leach in that he seems convinced he can take dual-threat athletes and coach guys into accuracy and protecting the football.

A&M has had guys running bare *** naked in the secondary each of the last two weeks. And dating back to last year - the problem hasn't really been getting guys open.

They just haven't been able to take advantage because Calzada was scared and Mond/King can't make throws. BUT MAN THEY OPEN UP YOUR RPO GAME! Except King sucks at that, too.

Jimbo has so many athletes on offense, there’s no way they should only be scoring 14 against all state. He’s gotta let those guys cook and get rid of that archaic offense

man, how is Miami underdogs by over a td this weekend?

Seems like a trap
It definitely feels like a must win for both teams for the goals that they have this year. Miami losing after App State went in there and won on the road would be devastating. A&M losing and I’m guessing 8-4 doesn’t even look likely this year.

dacomeup dacomeup

Jimbo was non-committal on quarterback in his presser.

“One of many things we need to take a step back and evaluate” basically.

That feels like it usually means change is likely, but we’ll see.

Just now seeing the polls and lowkey shocked that they actually put Georgia where they always belonged at #1 as defending champs. Let’s go

In all reality I don’t think Nebraska is ever getting "back" and I think Frost wasn't the guy but that job is very tough. Back when they were in the Big 12 during the Pelini years they could still recruit Texas and parts of California which really helped with their results. I understood why Nebraska moved to the B1G but I always said that it would hurt their recruiting because as a CU fan it was well known that Nebraska recruited heavily in California and Texas. When they moved to the B1G I didn't quite know where they would recruit knowing that the traditional B1G schools had the Midwest locked down and tOSU was one of the few B1G teams at that time that could pull kids from California or Texas.

In short, do you guys think Nebraska is a good job? At least with USC and Miami you have a chance given the close proximity to talent.
For me I think if you are in the Big Ten club....it's a good job.

Nebraska is farm country, very little talent in state, cold (among other things we know) but they got B1G money and they got the support. All it takes to get to a 9-10 win level is finding the right coach. They have the money.

We all know Nebraska ain't Nebraska, and probably never will be again but you cannot possibly be this bad:

Nebraska is 0-14 the last 14 times they have played a ranked team.
They have not beaten a ranked team on the road since November 12, 2011.
If this season goes in the toilet it will be SIX YEARS since they played in a bowl game (impossible).
Since October of 2017 here are the conference wins for the Big Ten West: Wisconsin(29), Iowa(28 ), Northwestern(24), Minnesota(21), Purdue(20), Illinois(12), Nebraska(11)

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 11.59.56 AM.png

This is basically it for me.

Does Jimbo need to modernize what he does to some degree? Probably - though I'd argue if he'd just cut the playbook in half and play with more tempo. more often, it would fix a lot. Should he let someone else call plays, even if it's broadly within the infrastructure of what he wants to do? This feels like a no brainer to me - he just has too much on his plate and he's failing as a micromanager because of it.

But he's just so lost and confused around what he wants at quarterback it's astounding. He's the anti-Leach in that he seems convinced he can take dual-threat athletes and coach guys into accuracy and protecting the football.

A&M has had guys running bare *** naked in the secondary each of the last two weeks. And dating back to last year - the problem hasn't really been getting guys open.

They just haven't been able to take advantage because Calzada was scared and Mond/King can't make throws. BUT MAN THEY OPEN UP YOUR RPO GAME! Except King sucks at that, too.
Devil's advocate: If Johnson or Weigman were good/ready, wouldn't they be playing? Like Jimbo went out and recruited Johnson and you were all certain he'd be the starter, partly because you think he's better and largely because you don't go bring in a starter from a division rival unless you intend for him to play. If Johnson was given every opportunity to win the job and still failed to, isn't the assumption that he got beaten out?

Devil's advocate: If Johnson or Weigman were good/ready, wouldn't they be playing? Like Jimbo went out and recruited Johnson and you were all certain he'd be the starter, partly because you think he's better and largely because you don't go bring in a starter from a division rival unless you intend for him to play. If Johnson was given every opportunity to win the job and still failed to, isn't the assumption that he got beaten out?
"Time in the system and gives us the most ability to open up the whole playbook" was the big reason given for King's winning the job from Jimbo.

You can watch both these guys throw and know King's not in the same galaxy as a passer. It's obvious. Now - does Bryce Foster's injury/illness and the shakiness of the offensive line as a result raise questions about some of Max's tendencies being a real problem, too? Absolutely.

By every report, Weigman's clearly the most gifted guy in the room and everyone knows it. But Jimbo wasn't ever gonna run out a true freshman when he's got upperclass options that he widely viewed as capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom