Official 2022 Boxing Thread: 8/20 - Usyk Vs. Joshua II DAZN

Not sure its media hype probably just excited fandom more than anything

I didn't think Tyson was beatable even after he was getting his asss beat and had clearly lost his ability to fight

1652028228455.jpeg

I called this when it was announced. Canelo is a media hype fighter. He’s good, but not great. People here trying to make excuses that he went up in weight and this and that. Dude would get worked by RJJ or Ward easy.

i think you guys are too hard on canelo

just because some can beat him doesnt mean he cant be great himself, is pac not great because mayweather schooled him? most great boxers in history has lost

and its not his fault if fans and media says he can beat the other greats

at the end of the day, dude has been cleaning up and putting almost everyone he fights away and he has gone against some who thought was a tough fight like kovalev (who just happens to be old so he caught him) and unfortunately he ran into bivol (who is young and a machine)

we also have a habit of putting down boxers who loses that they are a ”fraud” or simply ”hyped” and while that can be the case for some but not always, canelo still has a great resume under his belt and its just going to keep growing, we’ll just have to see where he goes next but in middle and super middle, i cant see anyone beating him

There's a specific style of boxing that Canelo has a very difficult time beating imo and that's the Lara slash Floyd school of boxing. Slick boxers who can box and move constantly and throw combos to keep Canelo honest give Canelo major problems.

Bivol was clearly just bigger n stronger, walking right thru Canelo's punches, and more importantly Bivol had the stamina and motor to keep applying constant pressure all 12 rds to nullify any "speed" Canelo could bring to the table. If Bivol had the superior technical abilities and slickness of a Lara, Floyd, Sweet Pea, ntm seeing how Canelo was bothered by Bivol's fast combinations, omg Canelo's face woulda been much more battered and bruised

Last edited:
i think you guys are too hard on canelo

just because some can beat him doesnt mean he cant be great himself, is pac not great because mayweather schooled him? most great boxers in history has lost

and its not his fault if fans and media says he can beat the other greats

at the end of the day, dude has been cleaning up and putting almost everyone he fights away and he has gone against some who thought was a tough fight like kovalev (who just happens to be old so he caught him) and unfortunately he ran into bivol (who is young and a machine)

we also have a habit of putting down boxers who loses that they are a ”fraud” or simply ”hyped” and while that can be the case for some but not always, canelo still has a great resume under his belt and its just going to keep growing, we’ll just have to see where he goes next but in middle and super middle, i cant see anyone beating him

I agree with most of your post.

However, its blatantly obvious that hes always avoided the top fighters in and around his weight class, until last night and we saw what happened. Check his resume. This is the first REAL threat that he has fought in his physical prime without any catchweight rules or stipulations attached. I give him all the respect for that.

Hes still a hype job though.

Lot of bad takes in here.

Bivol fought a great fight. A lot of what makes Canelo great in the ring is intimidation. It’s kinda like GGG. Fighters feel not only the physical pressure in the ring but also the mental pressure.

When you fight someone disciplined who can take your physical power, then the mental aspect of it disappears.

Bivol clearly could withstand Canelos lack of power at 175 and would counter Canelos big shots with great combinations. He also used the jab amazingly and stayed active and peppered Canelo because he wasn’t afraid of what was coming back.

175 may be too much for him. All that muscle on a shorter guy requires a lot of oxygen and is not going for your power of you want to stay active the whole fight.

168 is his sweet spot, and should focus on that and possibly 160 IF he can cut down but it may take a while because he’s bulked up considerably.

It is what it is. We need to destigmatize losses. Great fighters lose. It’s part of the sport.If we don’t do that then some of these dudes will never fight eachother chasing paydays.

Last edited:
It comes with the territory.

For example, lets say terence crawford didnt currently have a title at welterweight, we wouldve been criticizing errol spence if he jumped to 154 to fight let's say brian castano for his title and lost while having terence Crawford in his division. It's the same thing that canelo did with david benavidez🤷🏿‍♂️

Imagine if canelo was on steroids like RJJ?

Or clinched, head butted, wrestled, and fouled like Andre POS ward?

He would get all kinds of hate and death threats lol

It comes with the territory.

For example, lets say terence crawford didnt currently have a title at welterweight, we wouldve been criticizing errol spence if he jumped to 154 to fight let's say brian castano for his title and lost while having terence Crawford in his division. It's the same thing that canelo did with david benavidez🤷🏿‍♂️

it is what it is

a lot criticizes GGG for staying at his weight class, wanting to clean it up and not moving up

i just dont think the loss is an issue though because canelo is still best at 160 and 168 and probably gon continue dominating it

his career isnt over so i wouldnt call it running, if he goes to fight charlo and benavidez and andrade and beats them all in a couple of years… is that gon really affect his greatness as a middle and super middle because he has an extra loss?

it is what it is

a lot criticizes GGG for staying at his weight class, wanting to clean it up and not moving up

i just dont think the loss is an issue though because canelo is still best at 160 and 168 and probably gon continue dominating it

his career isnt over so i wouldnt call it running, if he goes to fight charlo and benavidez and andrade and beats them all in a couple of years… is that gon really affect his greatness as a middle and super middle because he has an extra loss?

Nope, this loss wont affect his greatness IF that happens. But, I don't see that happening to be honest with you. Andrade is and has always been all wrong style wise for canelo and hes always known that which is why hes never fought him even though theyve been in the same weight classes. I'd favor canelo vs charlo but I'll take benavidez and andrade to beat him. Andrade might beat him even easier than bivol🤷🏿‍♂️

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that this fight wasnt even competitive. That will definitely take a toll on his confidence and also make his future opponents even more confident that they can beat him. The days of canelo having easy fights are over.

bivol can take canelos punches being a natural light heavy, i dont see andrade walking down while taking the same hits, and i dont think he can hurt canelo the way bivol can, i really dont see him beating him worse than bivol did as i practically saw that as a shut out but you also saw that they got to beat the judges with the 115-113 cards

benavidez is gon' be a war but benavidez gets hit and canelo still has the power and actually good defense, he isnt just going to bang out there with benavidez and might break him down in the later rounds and if you're not going to make canelo miss, the judges loves those thudding punches and its gon be a canelo win by a landslide unless he can score a kd

but we are always talking about resume and who has beaten who, i pose the same question to all of canelos opponents, who have those guys fought thats truly legitimate? if i were a betting man id bet on canelo against anyone in the middle/super middle right now based on power and experience

i dont think his confidence is going to waiver either, it was shutout in our eyes but his reaction after the fight looked like he felt he won plus he already has the vegan excuse, its gon' be all carne asada from now on :lol:

we're just going to have to wait and see though but i think some of those fights will get made so they'll speak for themselves

spence might not even get through bud

but spence too small for canelo me thinks, ironically that might be like canelo moving up to bivol :lol:

it might be worse actually since spence would have to jump up 20lbs to 168 (i assume canelos gon pull him up to that weight) and then canelo will probably be 175-180 on fight night, speed and power might not carry up to that along with stamina but at least he’s not vegan…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom