OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lane cool and all but wake me up when he wins a big game

I mean, he coaches at Ole Miss. People give him a hard time for his record against elite teams but when you look at the rosters, almost all of those elite teams he loses to have a large talent advantage. Going 10-2 this season with losses @Bama and @Georgia is nothing to sneeze at. He's done a really good job given the circumstances.

If you gave him Texas A&M talent he would be viewed as an elite coach.

I mean, he coaches at Ole Miss. People give him a hard time for his record against elite teams but when you look at the rosters, almost all of those elite teams he loses to have a large talent advantage. Going 10-2 this season with losses @Bama and @Georgia is nothing to sneeze at. He's done a really good job given the circumstances.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying beating Bama and teams like that is an easy thing to do but to me he’s the same as James Franklin and how he loses to OSU/UM every year. At some point you’ve got to put a game together and win one of those matchups.

Just like this year was “their best shot” to beat Bama and their offense got completely shut down like we’ve seen in past years

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying beating Bama and teams like that is an easy thing to do but to me he’s the same as James Franklin and how he loses to OSU/UM every year. At some point you’ve got to put a game together and win one of those matchups.

Just like this year was “their best shot” to beat Bama and their offense got completely shut down like we’ve seen in past years

Turning Ole Miss into a Penn State level program is a huge accomplishment for Ole Miss. Ole Miss wasn't even making bowl games before Lane got there. Look at the decade before:

Screenshot_20231109_153146_Chrome.jpg

Is Ole Miss a legit title contender? No but I think it's important for programs to understand their ceilings. Lane has brought old mess to the highest point in since integration.

they're trying to get Lane caught up. Lane did nothing wrong

Obviously this is just the player's side of the story but it is interesting to see what teams do you when coaches tell you to hit the transfer portal and you refuse.

He went from playing defensive tackle to scout team offensive line. The program can't force you to transfer but they can really make your life miserable if you don't. Cold world.

I'm not a Michigan apologist but I do firmly believe that this entire sign stealing/advanced scouting story is completely overblown. Michigan deserves to be punished but they also deserve a very light punishment.

In this clip he says that the advanced scouting and recording of signs is despicable and unsportsman-like but literally being handed the signs by opposing coaches is fine and totally within the rules. Admittedly, I've never coached college football but this mindset is bizarre to me.

Obviously this is just the player's side of the story but it is interesting to see what teams do you when coaches tell you to hit the transfer portal and you refuse.

He went from playing defensive tackle to scout team offensive line. The program can't force you to transfer but they can really make your life miserable if you don't. Cold world.

Yea, I had a younger sister who played basketball and a new coach came in, tried to make her life terrible and attempted to revoke her scholarship. Luckily I’m an attorney and was able to make sure that she was protected, but I’ll never take the coaches side in these situations. Which is why I laughed to myself when you initially said that Lane did nothing wrong :lol:.

Turning Ole Miss into a Penn State level program is a huge accomplishment for Ole Miss. Ole Miss wasn't even making bowl games before Lane got there. Look at the decade before:

Screenshot_20231109_153146_Chrome.jpg

Is Ole Miss a legit title contender? No but I think it's important for programs to understand their ceilings. Lane has brought old mess to the highest point in since integration.

True. I think we all just wanna see him finally beat Bama :lol:

I think yall roll easy this weekend

I’d love to try that, but it would probably just break another coach.

Y’all gotta back the truck up to Lance or Lanning, someone like that.

Actually stay away from Lanning because OSU gonna be after him when Day leaves for the Patriots job

Y’all gotta back the truck up to Lance or Lanning, someone like that.

Actually stay away from Lanning because OSU gonna be after him when Day leaves for the Patriots job

Objectively, I don't understand why Dan Lanning would leave Oregon for Texas A&M. There is no on the field reason to make this move so I guess A&M would need to make him the highest paid coach in the country and provide another dumb, 10-year guaranteed contract to lure him to College Station.

I would rather be Oregon in the Big Ten than Texas A&M in the new SEC with Oklahoma and Texas.

The problem is the Ole Miss boosters def think they have a higher ceiling than that.

You're probably right, they probably believe they have a higher ceiling than 10-2. Every team in the SEC has delusions of grandeur (except for maybe Vandy). Every fan base thinks "give us the right coach and we can breakthrough and be a national title contender". Every SEC team is flush with cash and is ready to fire coaches after a couple of bad seasons, look at Arkansas. They're just going to keep firing coaches every 3-4 years, interpretuity until they "break through"

Over the last 25 years, we've only really had two true situations where a coach raised the ceiling of a team from an average team to a national title contender: Dabo Sweeney at Clemson and Nick Saban at LSU. It doesn't happen often. Ole Miss should be happy where they're at but it's human nature to always want more.

I’m somewhat shocked that Pat Mcafee’s college game day isn’t putting up the numbers ESPN expected. I don’t even think it’s on Mcafee, ESPN is just a dying network in general. It’s basically just background noise and looking up at highlights while I’m doing something else. I get my information online or through pod’s and YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom