OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Florida’s defense definitely hasn’t been the problem. I wouldn’t worry about that. Plus you have Elko.
Bateman's intriguing, for sure. But IDK what to make of "guy had top 5 defenses nationally at Army".

DE coach - Sean Spencer
DT coach - Tony Jerod-Eddie
DC/LB coach - Bateman
CB coach - Ishamel Artiside
S coach - Bryant Gross-Armiento

If nothing else, that group's gonna recruit.

I realize that programs are doing what is in their best financial interest but at what point do these teams begin to think about a path to a national championship? Imagine if the SEC becomes an 18 team league with

Georgia
Alabama
LSU
Florida
Oklahoma
Texas
Auburn
Tennessee
FSU
Potentially Clemson

All of those teams would be vying for 3-4 spots in the playoff in a lot of those fan bases will be unhappy.

Then you still have teams like Ole Miss and Missouri who can be top 15 teams in any given year.

I firmly believe that programs like Oklahoma, Clemson or FSU might end up like Nebraska or Miami where they have a lot of success in history in one league but become average programs in different leagues.

1. FSU will probably end up in the B1G, not the SEC IMO. Plus, you just saw the first P5 undefeated Champion get snubbed. So your comment seems counterintuitive.

If there are 12 spots, I highly doubt the B1G or SEC would be limited to 3-4 spots. Besides, we all know where CFB is headed.; it’s inevitable.

2. It took y’all 40 years to figure it out and yall are a Kirby Smart loss away from it again. Same with Alabama and Saban. It may take 4-5 HCs to get back on track and possibly 20 +/- years. People like them don’t grow on trees.

Guess what? No coach is immune to being a victim of their own success. Kirby stays long enough and doesn’t go out on top, it will happen to him.

It happens to the greatest.

Bobby Bowden couldn’t escape it
Joe Paterno couldn’t escape it

3 C.R.E.A.M. Any self-respecting program cannot stay in the ACC. Why stay on board for the invetible crash? FSU and Miami for that matter are in one of the most talent rich states in America. So they’ve sucked at times; got it. When the money most starts flowing and they start clamping down, it means the Alabama, UGAs, and tOSUs of the world have less access to those players.

The thing is all of those teams are going to cannibalize each other on the years they all play one another. It’s just like the previous NCAA games when you’d make a loaded *** conference and eventually they all average 2-4 losses a year.

Which going forward may still get you a playoff spot with 3 losses depending on how the team looks and who they lose to

These new conferences won’t last too long anyway so it’s all about the check
This lends itself to a theory that I had for a while: the era of the college football national champions routinely being undefeated is over with conference expansion, especially when you look at the new SEC and Big Ten. Every team's schedule is just going to be too stacked with talented opponents. In the past The recruiting superpowers only played 2-3 opponents each season with similar talent. Going forward teams will play 5-6 such opponents.

Of course the 12 team playoff gives teams much more room for error, they won't need to go undefeated to make the playoffs. We will be moving towards more of an NFL model where even the best teams will have 1-2 losses.

The biggest thing that is going to frustrate fans about these super conferences is just how uneven the scheduling will be. For example, I see scenarios where an 11-1 Big 12 team (like Baylor, TCU, Utah, etc) will get in the playoff over a 3 loss SEC with a significantly more difficult schedule.

ND will eventually join the B1G (gross, I don’t even like saying that) when it inevitably becomes the B1G and SEC as the power 2

1. FSU will probably end up in the B1G, not the SEC IMO. Plus, you just saw the first P5 undefeated Champion get snubbed. So your comment seems counterintuitive.

If there are 12 spots, I highly doubt the B1G or SEC would be limited to 3-4 spots. Besides, we all know where CFB is headed.; it’s inevitable.

2. It took y’all 40 years to figure it out and yall are a Kirby Smart loss away from it again. Same with Alabama and Saban. It may take 4-5 HCs to get back on track and possibly 20 +/- years. People like them don’t grow on trees.

Guess what? No coach is immune to being a victim of their own success. Kirby stays long enough and doesn’t go out on top, it will happen to him.

It happens to the greatest.

Bobby Bowden couldn’t escape it
Joe Paterno couldn’t escape it

3 C.R.E.A.M. Any self-respecting program cannot stay in the ACC. Why stay on board for the invetible crash? FSU and Miami for that matter are in one of the most talent rich states in America. So they’ve sucked at times; got it. When the money most starts flowing and they start clamping down, it means the Alabama, UGAs, and tOSUs of the world have less access to those players.
Atls understanding of the CFB landscape is severely UGA biased and SEC skewed. You’d think that Georgia had been on a dominant 10 year run based on reading his posts.

It’s obvious what path CFB is going on in the near future, but forecasting what happens to programs like Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc right now is pretty futile. There will be more twists and turns here, and the media rights in general are probably a bit overvalued. We’ll see what happens.

Atls understanding of the CFB landscape is severely UGA biased and SEC skewed. You’d think that Georgia had been on a dominant 10 year run based on reading his posts.

It’s obvious what path CFB is going on in the near future, but forecasting what happens to programs like Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc right now is pretty futile. There will be more twists and turns here, and the media rights in general are probably a bit overvalued. We’ll see what happens.

My view the college football landscape is not UGA focused but it may be SEC focused. I just view it as a math problem in a potential 18 team SEC super conference, there would be 8-9 teams with championship expectations vying for 3-4 spots and some traditional Blue bloods will be on the outside looking in. That traditional Blue bloods will be on the outside looking in.

Teams that have traditionally dominated their own conference and are used to winning 10 or 11 games will now have to get used to winning 8-9 games. A lot of fan bases are going to be unhappy.

Those unhappy teams may be Alabama and Georgia, or Oklahoma and Texas. It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out.

My view the college football landscape is not UGA focused but it may be SEC focused. I just view it as a math problem in a potential 18 team SEC super conference, there would be 8-9 teams with championship expectations vying for 3-4 spots and some traditional Blue bloods will be on the outside looking in. That traditional Blue bloods will be on the outside looking in.

Teams that have traditionally dominated their own conference and are used to winning 10 or 11 games will now have to get used to winning 8-9 games. A lot of fan bases are going to be unhappy.

Those unhappy teams may be Alabama and Georgia, or Oklahoma and Texas. It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out.
But both of the super conferences are going to have teams that win 8-9 games. What having a “good” record looks like will change. The CFP is all about views and making money. They will make sure that the SEC and B1G teams are in the conference. The rules for who gets an automatic bid and what it takes will change. In that world, the Big 12 may be a 1 bid conference and the G5 might have to pray for anything. There’s too much unknown about the future to prognosticate on what it’ll look like. Apple, Amazon, Netflix etc haven’t even thrown their hats into the ring yet either for media rights. All of this as we know it is going to look significantly different.

When the SEC expands and goes to 9 games, I’d expect most schools to go with a two G5 and one FCS OOC schedule, which should keep most records looking relatively similar. I know there’s been some talk about ADs wanting to schedule tougher OOC to get people to show up to games, but I’ll believe it when i see it.

Schools like OU, Texas, and potentially FSU and Clemson are going to have to adjust their expectations, but I think most of those fanbases are already aware of that.

If we’re going be honest all of this will change again in 2030-2034 when the current tv contracts are all up. Apple and Amazon and others will be involved with the playoff by next negotiation (2026?) and then the conferences will return because there will be more buyers for streaming sports content. Some form of smaller conferences reform etc

I'm always amazed that guys like this want you to continue playing college football. I knew a lot of guys who played at the college level and they talked about the grind of class, meetings, film study, lifting weights and practice. The guys I knew weren't at top programs so they weren't winning and they weren't prospects. A lot of them were excited to be done with college football.

I can't believe Casey wants to play seventh year of college football? Does he think he's going to get a shot to play pro? Maybe he's working on his second Masters degree 🤷🏿

Growing up is also overrated. Being the QB in college, collecting degrees and avoiding being a real adult >>>. Kid has probably been playing football since he was 5 year old. Athlete dreams is hard to give up for a lot of guys. Plenty cycle into depression when they have to figure out life after football.

Growing up is also overrated. Being the QB in college, collecting degrees and avoiding being a real adult >>>. Kid has probably been playing football since he was 5 year old. Athlete dreams is hard to give up for a lot of guys. Plenty cycle into depression when they have to figure out life after football.
I know a guy who is 32 and still trying to make it pro.

One of my boys coached him. My boy says he’s got a younger brother that’s better than him if he can keep his head on straight.

Ole miss must’ve called up those donors that got them the best receiver, d lineman and o lineman a decade ago.

They gotta give Billy an extension :lol:. Earnest Graham, UF legacy whose son signed with UF

FSU is going to need to get that Saudi money lined up if they are trying to leave the ACC anytime soon. Over half a billy?! Yikes!

I think eventually there were only be two leagues to get automatic bids into the CFP: SEC and Big Ten. Once Florida State leaves the ACC, I'm confident Clemson and Miami will follow and the ACC will no longer be a power league. Looking at the future Big 12, that conference going to be left behind as well.

IMG_3610.jpeg

Is LSU broke or something? Why are they getting their OC poached?

His name came up as a guy that had reached out to Elko before they hired Klein and I wasn't sure I believed it.

They're losing a bunch, man. Maybe just getting out while the gettin's good.

Back
Top Bottom