OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
always surprising to see a capable running back transfer to USC.

Just watch Marshawn Lloyd and tell me if you think its a good idea to play for Lincoln at USC>

This man averaged 7 yards per carry and couldn't average more than 10 carries per game. Come on. This was as flagrant as Lincolns brisket.
Part of the appeal is you're not going to get grinded into dust carrying 20-30 times a game. Lloyd still had an 800 yard season in an air raid and thats while missing a game or two with injury. He's not mad about it and neither was Dye.

The issue is more so that from a team success/winning football perspective, they've gotta let the running backs cook more.

At Oklahoma Lincoln ran the ball A LOT but at USC he put the entire offense on Caleb to do everything. He wasn't patient with the run game. If Lloyd fumbled or was tackled for a loss, Lincoln would go away from the run for the next two possessions. Caleb also checked out of runs or pulled on RPOs more often than was ideal. No matter who the QB is next year, that won't work because they're not superman. So in theory he's going to have to run the ball more to be successful and running backs know that.

Also as tupac003 tupac003 pointed out, our 2023 offensive line stunk. Last year behind a good line with NFL guys on it, Travis had about 900 yards and Austin had 700. But even then, Lincoln should have given them the ball more. He hands it off more and we beat Utah the first time.

Part of the appeal is you're not going to get grinded into dust carrying 20-30 times a game. Lloyd still had an 800 yard season in an air raid and thats while missing a game or two with injury. He's not mad about it and neither was Dye.

The issue is more so that from a team success/winning football perspective, they've gotta let the running backs cook more.

At Oklahoma Lincoln ran the ball A LOT but at USC he put the entire offense on Caleb to do everything. He wasn't patient with the run game. If Lloyd fumbled or was tackled for a loss, Lincoln would go away from the run for the next two possessions. Caleb also checked out of runs or pulled on RPOs more often than was ideal. No matter who the QB is next year, that won't work because they're not superman. So in theory he's going to have to run the ball more to be successful and running backs know that.

Also as tupac003 tupac003 pointed out, our 2023 offensive line stunk. Last year behind a good line with NFL guys on it, Travis had about 900 yards and Austin had 700. But even then, Lincoln should have given them the ball more. He hands it off more and we beat Utah the first time.
good points. But in instances like Lloyd, doesn't he want to sort of get into that 20+ carry area to showcase himself more? I think these kids come to USC to get more exposure for the next level.

Lincoln’s missing Bill Bedenbaugh, the biggest difference between the OU and SC offenses is the big drop off in OL play.

Lincoln’s missing Bill Bedenbaugh, the biggest difference between the OU and SC offenses is the big drop off in OL play.
Honestly, doesn’t seem like he’s putting the resources towards recruiting OL either. It’s cute to land WRs, RBs and flex TEs every year, but walking into the B1G with weak trench play is definitely not what you want to do.

good points. But in instances like Lloyd, doesn't he want to sort of get into that 20+ carry area to showcase himself more? I think these kids come to USC to get more exposure for the next level.
Funny thing is. Lloyd was a 5 star, played and started in the SEC. Did he really need more exposure? He just wanted to play with Caleb and on a better team I’m assuming

1a8qy1.jpg

Lincoln has always fielded competent running games. He’s always been more committed to it than most air raid guys.

I think we talked about this some when he got hired - that isn’t and shouldn’t ever be a concern. It feels like it probably gotta a little lopsided with Caleb, but it’s always been fairly consistent with his offenses.

Honestly, doesn’t seem like he’s putting the resources towards recruiting OL either. It’s cute to land WRs, RBs and flex TEs every year, but walking into the B1G with weak trench play is definitely not what you want to do.
Thats been USC's problem for 10 years plus. They had the approach of "lets recruit 3 stars who are 6'5" 260 pounds and put good weight on them," but it was not successful. Sure they would have 1-2 players who made it but USC was known for OL back in the days. Then the game changed and they went with athletic potential. I need maulers!!! Big uglies!

Funny thing is. Lloyd was a 5 star, played and started in the SEC. Did he really need more exposure? He just wanted to play with Caleb and on a better team I’m assuming
But he could never really get going at South Carolina. Our nephew played them in high school when they came to Bosco (I think he was on Dematha?) and I remember saying thats the kind of back I'd like to see USC go after. Big and physical. They were in town for 5 days and I know he must have loved the weather here.

Lincoln has always fielded competent running games. He’s always been more committed to it than most air raid guys.

I think we talked about this some when he got hired - that isn’t and shouldn’t ever be a concern. It feels like it probably gotta a little lopsided with Caleb, but it’s always been fairly consistent with his offenses.
very true. I feel like Oklahoma's 3rd back always ended up being really good. but then again, even the really good ones they had at Oklahoma always seemed to be overshadowed because of the QB play. So i guess not much has changed. But Bedenbaugh really was the difference maker for him.

USC’s OL was really good though last year but lost a ton of guys this year. Bedenbaugh is sort of embattled currently in Norman. I didn’t follow them closely this season but if OU fans are to be believed their line play was subpar this year. Henson also isn’t a slouch. Bill’s better but Henson should be good enough.

He’s brought in 11 HS OL the last two classes and 6 portal guys. Last year we had a bunch of players who had been together 4+ years. This season it was a bunch of mercenaries (we had 3 transfers starting on OL) and they just never gelled. It got especially worse when Gino Quinones who was a long time guy tore his ACL in week 2. The line should hopefully be better next year with continuity.

Caleb had so much freedom with the offense this year he could override the play calls on the field most of the time based on what he sees. Thats why you’d get those totally unbalanced run vs pass numbers.

He’s an elite QB and has a unique relationship with Lincoln so I get trusting him more than usual, but then you get in situations like the end of Arizona where Lincoln called a HB run to center the ball for a game winning FG and Caleb audibled to WR slant and only half the team realized it.

And situations like rushing for 10 yards per carry and 100 yards in the first half vs Utah and finishing with 145 total because Caleb wants to put the game on his shoulders. I get trusting him because he’s the best player but at some point …

Back
Top Bottom