OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bama can ***** with that bull****.

There’s nothing they can say that will convince me Saban didn’t know he was going to quit for weeks, if not months, now.

Oh the day he decided to step down just so happened to be the day classes started and their early enrollees and transfers were locked in? So there’s the risk if a kid does leave the ncaa won’t give him immediate eligibility (court ruling pending)? FOH.

Yes he was working right up to the end. Because he’s a control freak and will still shadow run the program Barry Alvarez or Darth Sidious style. As such, he didn’t want his empire to crumble immediately.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun. I don't care about any *****ing from Bama and their fanbase. These are the same dudes who used to pick kids off of other peoples commitment list and have them grayshirt to be in their class.....only to cut them loose 1 or 2 years later.
Oh I certainly got no sympathy for those *******s at all.

You've been the king at the top of the mountain for way too long. Time to get your legs chopped out.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 10.35.10 AM.png

They on some witnesskb24 witnesskb24 broke boy nonsense now, too. :lol: :lol:

Another reason why Bama defensive players are bouncing, aside from NIL:

Deboer took over a roster full of super seniors that had put up top 10-15 ranked defensive performances under Lake and Petersen, and they immediately dropped down to the 90s in back to back years under Deboer. Maybe 2 kids off that defense are getting drafted. His 2021 Fresno defense was also not good, so that's 3 straight years.

Deboer is not charismatic enough to convince kids who would previously have gotten drafted off the Saban brand alone, to tank their draft stock. Can't do it without hefty NIL investment that is.

Another reason why Bama defensive players are bouncing, aside from NIL:

Deboer took over a roster full of super seniors that had put up top 10-15 ranked defensive performances under Lake and Petersen, and they immediately dropped down to the 90s in back to back years under Deboer. Maybe 2 kids off that defense are getting drafted. His 2021 Fresno defense was also not good, so that's 3 straight years.

Deboer is not charismatic enough to convince kids who would previously have gotten drafted off the Saban brand alone, to tank their draft stock. Can't do it without hefty NIL investment that is.
I don’t even think these kids are thinking that deep. The appeal was Saban. Being the guy to follow him was always going to be brutal. The fact that he isn’t a well known entity in the SE just makes it even more challenging.

Yahoo

Jim Harbaugh remains engaged in contract talks with Michigan amid NFL swirl

Even as Jim Harbaugh meets with NFL teams about coaching opportunities, specifically the Los Angeles Chargers early this week, he remains engaged in discussions with Michigan about a contract extension that includes unusual termination clauses should he choose to stay in Ann Arbor, according to industry sources.

Specifically, sources said Harbaugh is seeking language that would grant him immunity from termination from any finding or sanction that could arise from multiple current NCAA investigations into the football program. Harbaugh is also seeking a delay in the start date of the new contract to maintain a lower buyout that NFL teams would have to pay Michigan to hire him away.

Michigan has already offered to make Harbaugh the highest-paid coach in college football via a guaranteed six-year deal worth $11.5 million annually. There would be additional performance-based bonuses.

What are we putting at Harbaugh just ends up staying at Michigan with essentially a grandfather contract (and language) coming his way?

The Chargers ownership especially isn't coming close to what Michigan is offering him. On paper and under the table.

I don’t even think these kids are thinking that deep. The appeal was Saban. Being the guy to follow him was always going to be brutal. The fact that he isn’t a well known entity in the SE just makes it even more challenging.

I think that this is some of reason why some Bama fans are reacting the way they are to some of this news. Over the years some of them managed to convince themselves that the kids were coming to Bama (in droves) because it was Bama and not because it was Saban at Bama.

Those kids were willing to come there, class after class and sit and wait their turn for maybe 3 years before they really get starters reps, because of Sabans pedigree and what he is able to do for them. Now without that it's a different ballgame. They are still an elite program but they don't still have that Saban coaching mystique that would in a lot of cases be the ultimate determining factor in a kid going there.

They're still Bama, so they will continue to recruit at an elite level, but I don't know that they are going to be stockpiling talent like they did before, class over class over class.

I’m loving every moment of it. Especially with how Bama was bagging kids up when it was illegal too and the NCAA didn’t give a single damn :lol:. I’m actually just surprised that none of the Saban tree guys were enticed by taking over the machine. Showed me that they have more sense than I thought.

If I was getting paid AND playing for Saban hell yeah I’d pick Bama

No Saban and I can get paid elsewhere? Yeah Deboer is no where near established enough to keep them kids around

Seems like Alabama's NIL was caught flat-footed. They took for granted the fact that kids were taking pay cuts to play for Nick Saban and never built up their war chest preparing for the time when Nick Saban would retire.

1705517529917.png

All you had to do was talk to Evan Stewart, you ****in schmuck. :lol:

Had Kiffin, Lanning and them in his ear talking about new money and got impatient. :smh: :smh:

Realistically who could Alabama have hired that wouldn't result in many top players transferring? Probably a very short list and it's not like Saban had someone in mind to replace him rather than this just being a personal choice.

Realistically who could Alabama have hired that wouldn't result in many top players transferring? Probably a very short list and it's not like Saban had someone in mind to replace him rather than this just being a personal choice.
Nobody.

This is the reality of college football now.

And that's fine. Just important to remember the sword swings both ways eventually.

IMO, of reasonable candidates, only Lane & Lanning (MAYBEEEE James Franklin)

Seems like Alabama's NIL was caught flat-footed. They took for granted the fact that kids were taking pay cuts to play for Nick Saban and never built up their war chest preparing for the time when Nick Saban would retire.

Y'all need to stop listening to this nonsense.

"Severely lacking" to the Bama people talking to these reporters means that UGA and Ohio State have $15-20M per year to give out in NIL and Bama fans think they should be working with $30M.

Bama has been bagging up every kid out of the portal for the past two years. Players don't leave their starting jobs to go play for ****ing Bill O'Brien and Tommy Rees because of what Nick Saban can do for them on offense. Even right now, as we speak, they're throwing the kitchen sink at Juju Lewis. But they don't have any money for their own players? Yeah, ok.

All them kids driving around in brand new cars from Nick Saban Chevrolet and we're supposed to believe they're broke and can't afford to keep kids on their rosters.

Yeah right.

Two trains of thought here depending on what NIL deal he signed and how the NIL insider folks on A&M's boards have tiptoed around what most deals look like...

One was annual payouts with games played requirements and must be enrolled/on roster effective 12/15 or whatever the date was every year for your payout.

The other is a fat lump sum up front - for a three-year term - and if you broke it you owed prorated money back to "buy back" your NIL "license" OR the collective effectively keeps your rights which prevents you from going to 'sell' to someone else.

Unconfirmed which one he signed - but either way it's absolutely why he's upset. It's all but been confirmed Evan was on Option 1 and that's why he waited as long as he did to enter the portal when everyone knew he was gone.

Last edited:

I don’t think anybody could’ve stopped all these transfers but a Sark, Lanning, or Kiffen could’ve maybe slowed it down. All those dudes have ties to the south (2 of them ties to Bama) which I think could’ve helped. That’s not to say they’re better coaches than KDB but I think their names carry a bit more weight down there

There are big changes on and off the field at Alabama with the hiring of Kalen DeBoer. 247Sports has learned that the Crimson Tide parted ways with a number of support staffers, per multiple sources.

Alabama’s support staff is one of the most robust in college football with more than two dozen analysts and recruiting staff members. Most of that group will not return, including ex-Boston College offensive coordinator John McNulty and ex-LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger.

Others like former Texas head coach Charlie Strong and former NFL head coach Ken Whisenhunt are also not expected to be part of DeBoer’s staff.

A large number of the Crimson Tide staff members were notified of the staff changes over the last few days. Most were sent an email from Human Resources and then informed in a meeting with HR.

A few Alabama support staffers were retained, per sources, including Jamey Mosley and George Banko.
DeBoer opted to retain running back coach Robert Gillespie and defensive line coach Freddie Roach from Saban's staff. Among the Alabama on-field staffers who won't return for the 2024 season include offensive coordinator Tommy Rees, offensive line coach Eric Wolford and inside linebackers coach Robert Bala.

The Crimson Tide made an attempt to retain cornerbacks coach Travaris Robinson in a defensive coordinator role, but he ended up choosing Georgia. Staffers that left Alabama's staff this offseason also include wide receivers coach Holmon Wiggins to Texas A&M and outside linebacker's coach Coleman Hutzler to Mississippi State.

Back
Top Bottom