OFFICIAL 2023-2024 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD *THE START OF THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINE DYNASTY; UPDATE 1/24/2024: THE END OF THE MICHIGAN DYNASTY*

Who will win the 2023 College Football Playoffs?

• the Ohio State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • UGA

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mcnulty-pissed.gif

Didn't think we had a shot with him anyway.

Leonhard doesn't seem like a bad hire.

For the stoops argument in here, if your coach abruptly left tomorrow and they announced the hire is Mark Stoops would you be happy?

I think most of the coaches in College are overrated so I don’t see how Stoops would be better or worse. Hiring him is a low risk/low reward play

Billy Napier is who opposing fans thought Kirby Smart was: literally his only value add is recruiting and giving himself a huge talent advantage that will mask the fact that he cannot coach. Florida fans claimed that they have a talent issue when they really have a coaching issue.

Three of Florida's losses this season are due solely to coaching errors. Did Gators should have beaten Florida State, Arkansas and Missouri. If Florida had even average coaching they go 8-4 instead of 5-7

So florida goes up 12-0 on a safety with momentum. They then proceed to:

• ⁠Run a double reverse flea flicker that loses 14
• ⁠Have a defensive lineman ejected and extend a drive for spitting in someone’s face
• ⁠Give up td
• ⁠Miss another field goal
• ⁠Give up a TD on the opening drive of the 2nd half
• ⁠Hit a sliding quarterback who gave himself up after a 10 yard run on 3rd and 14
• ⁠Give up a TD to end the game with 3 minutes left.

On top of this, Florida's schedule next year is somehow even more difficult than their schedule this past season. High likelihood that the Gators finish with a losing record next season.

USC fans still running with this urban legend. i remember UCLA fans saying he was going to come because he fell in love with a girl on his recruiting vist........

Coach O has told this story himself. Calm yourself, google it, then come back and apologize to the usc fan base.

For the stoops argument in here, if your coach abruptly left tomorrow and they announced the hire is Mark Stoops would you be happy?

It would be a meh hire, I wouldn’t hate it but I wouldn’t love it either. I know people like that staff up here in MI so he wouldn’t have any problems recruiting the Midwest.

I don’t blame A&M fans for not being ecstatic about that hire but I don’t see why guys like Fish or now Elko are remarkably better. All those guys have the same profile of coaches who overachieved at basketball schools with little expectations.

Billy Napier is who opposing fans thought Kirby Smart was: literally his only value add is recruiting and giving himself a huge talent advantage that will mask the fact that he cannot coach. Florida fans claimed that they have a talent issue when they really have a coaching issue.

Three of Florida's losses this season are due solely to coaching errors. Did Gators should have beaten Florida State, Arkansas and Missouri. If Florida had even average coaching they go 8-4 instead of 5-7

So florida goes up 12-0 on a safety with momentum. They then proceed to:

• ⁠Run a double reverse flea flicker that loses 14
• ⁠Have a defensive lineman ejected and extend a drive for spitting in someone’s face
• ⁠Give up td
• ⁠Miss another field goal
• ⁠Give up a TD on the opening drive of the 2nd half
• ⁠Hit a sliding quarterback who gave himself up after a 10 yard run on 3rd and 14
• ⁠Give up a TD to end the game with 3 minutes left.

On top of this, Florida's schedule next year is somehow even more difficult than their schedule this past season. High likelihood that the Gators finish with a losing record next season.

This is a lot of typing to tell us what we have been saying for more than a year already. We all know the problem is Billy. Been knowing this. Who's saying otherwise?

I don’t think you’re getting killed in here for not hiring Stoops. I think people, me included, are pointing out that there’s a big disconnect in what A&M is versus what fans/boosters think A&M is.

I think the disconnect is largely:

I'd also note that Texas A&M has had two 10+ win seasons since 1998. Mark Stoops has had two 10 win seasons in the last 5 years. 🤷🏻‍♂️

every time someone brings up what A&M is or should be, the focus is largely historical and not more recent like it should be. i'd argue post 2012 A&M is a different program entirely. while the on-field success hasn't quite been there for one reason or another, the continued development of college station and facilities + the past 4-5 years of top 5ish recruiting classes make it easier to understand why fans/boosters think the right coaching hire can solidify A&M as a premier program and not just one on the cusp.

every time someone brings up what A&M is or should be, the focus is largely historical and not more recent like it should be. i'd argue post 2012 A&M is a different program entirely. while the on-field success hasn't quite been there for one reason or another, the continued development of college station and facilities + the past 4-5 years of top 5ish recruiting classes make it easier to understand why fans/boosters think the right coaching hire can solidify A&M as a premier program and not just one on the cusp.
I'm over going back and forth about it.

Arguing with folks about what the job is or isn't when "we won't be satisfied with 8-4 anymore" is more unrealistic to them than "oh you didn't hire a megastar so job isn't what you think it is" is exhausting.

The high-end job to high-end job head coaching steal thing is the overwhelming exception, not the rule, regardless of what your job is and whatever value you place on history. It's basically a list of Jimbo Fisher, Brian Kelly, Lincoln Riley and... that's it. And at least two of those three were running from things as much as they were running to their new job.

I'm not singling anyone out in here - but it's the same dudes that live and breathe ring culture in professional sports LOL'ing that A&M should just be happy to be there on Saturdays. It's just goofy.

Last edited:

Cool, so then your expectation is that A&M should be a premier program in CFB because of the money that is spent on the program. Clearly there’s a gap between what you’re saying and the “we’re just supposed to accept 8-4!” talk from N41D N41D . He’s acting as though he’s not saying that A&M should be one of the premier programs in CFB

He’s acting as though he’s not saying that A&M should be one of the premier programs in CFB
That's absolutely what A&M should be trying to build towards. I never said A&M was there yet. If you're not trying to compete at the highest level, what are you doing?

There's a definitive line between job and program for me - and I get that most of you probably don't view it that way. But the Texas A&M job isn't what it was two decades ago or even 10 years ago.

Other than "lol trophy case!", there's nothing you need to win that A&M can't provide.

It's on them to go build the program.

This is my thing about the A&M debate going on in here:

It's identical to the Clemson debate of the early 2010s. People insist because something has been one way their whole lives it's going to stay that way because they've never seen the contrary, despite all evidence to it being possible.

What's the difference between A&M and Oregon and why do you believe one can continue to elevate and the other has hit its ceiling?

I'd argue the Manziel years showed that, with competent leadership, 8-4 with losses to the playoff contenders should be A&M's annual floor.

Speaking of ceilings though, I think Elko is a meh ****ing hire with a mediocre one. The ceiling is not the roof :lol:

"We had 6 years of ****ty conservative offense and decent defense that bored our fanbase to death, so let's hire our old DC who only has two years of HC experience (and went 16-9 during that!) Surely, his success can't be attributed to a really good QB and the ACC being secretly one of the 2 worst P5 conferences during that span!"

Speaking of ceilings though, I think Elko is a meh ****ing hire with a mediocre one :lol:
I've got some Elko hesitation - for sure.

A couple things that at least perked me up a little bit with it...
  • He's portal'd well... Turning Duke from 3-9 to 9-3 in an offseason and probably would've won 9 or 10 again this year if Leonard doesn't get hurt
  • He was wrapping up the best recruiting class Duke football ever signed - sitting in the mid-30s nationally
I think he's likely to hold together the majority of A&M's roster outside probably Evan Stewart - who I don't think any hire would've mattered.

And he went out away from Jimbo Fisher and immediately hired the anti-Jimbo Fisher as his offensive coordinator... I hope he's aiming higher than Kevin Johns here, but just pushing towards that kind of style immediately is encouraging that he's not the defensive head coach that's going to hem and haw around playing safe conservative offense.

Back
Top Bottom