Official Air Jordan 3 "White Cement" '88 Retro - Retail $200

For those of you who have never stopped buying J's, when did this Hype faze start? I bowed out in 2006 and even then I was on lite-mode for at least 3 years. I started glancing the JB forum again recently, but have heard from friends of mine that buying J's is a lot different now.

Hype started in 2005 with the Altitude 13's. I remember when the Jordan Brand Magazine came out in 2004-2005, these were all the hype. :smh:

First time I had ever seen lines wrap all the way around buildings.

Then that made it harder to buy the Flint 13's that year too, I remember having to refresh the browser on FNL so many times, until I got through.

LOL 

And I just bought the '11 a few months ago. 

If I can walk in and get these no prob, id consider it. But IDC if work is required 

I'm not buying anymore Jordans until this whole Nike Air thing gets straighten out. Haha. I personally only like the Nike Air Jordans because I think it looks better than the Jumpman Air. I get the history and OG reasons, but I couldn't care less about that.

Hype started in 2005 with the Altitude 13's. I remember when the Jordan Brand Magazine came out in 2004-2005, these were all the hype. :smh:
First time I had ever seen lines wrap all the way around buildings.
Then that made it harder to buy the Flint 13's that year too, I remember having to refresh the browser on FNL so many times, until I got through.
I do recall when the Altitudes were released and how crazy people went over them. So is it safe to say it's been crazy since then? The after-market price for J's I see on eBay are insane. I'm wondering if this bubble will ever pop.

I really can't pinpoint it. Some releases were crazy sporadically, but within the last few years it has ballooned. I have a theory that Nike is placing product on young stars (rappers in particular) to create hype in a shoe. I don't remember Drake, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, Bun B (although some have disputed me on this), T.I, Fat Joe, or any other rapper being into shoes like they claim now. I just find it strangely odd that they are mentioning this more. It's well know that hip hop and basketball/basketball kicks pretty much go hand in hand historically. None of the aforementioned come to mind. Even if they have to love kicks like they claim, it just seem so much more contrived now than before. Now you see dudes wear stuff prior to release (often times months prior to release) just to create hype for a shoe. It's sad as a shoe fan because the hype plus the new ways you have to obtain shoes pushes out the people who truly like the shoe and doesn't want to re-sell them.
Rappers and athletes have been collecting heat for years my dude. Go back and watch old episodes of MTV cribs then you'll see what I'm talking about. The marriage of urban culture into main stream society as well as the internet boom set off a chain reaction. When I go cop J's now, I see a bunch of dudes you would never see back in the day. 

I do recall when the Altitudes were released and how crazy people went over them. So is it safe to say it's been crazy since then? The after-market price for J's I see on eBay are insane. I'm wondering if this bubble will ever pop.

it will burst.like all other bubbles in the past.

I really can't pinpoint it. Some releases were crazy sporadically, but within the last few years it has ballooned. I have a theory that Nike is placing product on young stars (rappers in particular) to create hype in a shoe. I don't remember Drake, Lil' Wayne, Rick Ross, Bun B (although some have disputed me on this), T.I, Fat Joe, or any other rapper being into shoes like they claim now. I just find it strangely odd that they are mentioning this more. It's well know that hip hop and basketball/basketball kicks pretty much go hand in hand historically. None of the aforementioned come to mind. Even if they have to love kicks like they claim, it just seem so much more contrived now than before. Now you see dudes wear stuff prior to release (often times months prior to release) just to create hype for a shoe. It's sad as a shoe fan because the hype plus the new ways you have to obtain shoes pushes out the people who truly like the shoe and doesn't want to re-sell them.
It's always been like that. I remember nelly wearing the concords months before they released back in 2000.

Rappers and athletes have been collecting heat for years my dude. Go back and watch old episodes of MTV cribs then you'll see what I'm talking about. The marriage of urban culture into main stream society as well as the internet boom set off a chain reaction. When I go cop J's now, I see a bunch of dudes you would never see back in the day. 
True, rappers and athletes always did collect, but back then there was no Twitter, IG, FB, and other media outlets to display what they were wearing instantly.

I do believe Nike is getting rappers to wear their products. Product placement is and always has been very important to their marketing strategy. 

waits for the first Nba player to ball in these, thats what hype was about to me, F all this rapper talk. Im bout to watch that dunk contest right now.

I know what I'm talking about, I'm talking pre cribs. NONE of them dudes was rocking that prior to cribs, You see Clark Kent? He's been collecting for years. He was known. Not sure about them other dudes.I know some of you dudes are new to this some not, but I know what I'm talking about. Fab had fake shoes in '02 then someone talked to him. Check the record b.

waits for the first Nba player to ball in these, thats what hype was about to me, F all this rapper talk. Im bout to watch that dunk contest right now.

If westbrook is in it, you can count on him wearing them..

I know what I'm talking about, I'm talking pre cribs. NONE of them dudes was rocking that prior to cribs, You see Clark Kent? He's been collecting for years. He was known. Not sure about them other dudes.I know some of you dudes are new to this some not, but I know what I'm talking about. Fab had fake shoes in '02 then someone talked to him. Check the record b.
The ignorance of your post is overwhelming

So let me school you:
Cribs first aired in Sept 2000

Now lets see some pics I can come up with before then.
View media item 197847View media item 197849View media item 197850View media item 197851View media item 197852View media item 197853
You are prolly one of those guys who ******* that 16 year olds are becoming sneakerheads. No one should touch these shoes if they didnt see mike play right? JB should downsize significantly to appeal to the 40 oldheads who think they run this ****. :smh:

Your ignorance is bad, and you should feel bad

Now I will go back to listening my rap musc

Last edited:
The ignorance of your post is overwhelming

So let me school you:
Cribs first aired in Sept 2000

Now lets see some pics I can come up with before then.
View media item 197847View media item 197849View media item 197850View media item 197851View media item 197852View media item 197853
You are prolly one of those guys who ******* that 16 year olds are becoming sneakerheads. No one should touch these shoes if they didnt see mike play right? JB should downsize significantly to appeal to the 40 oldheads who think they run this ****. :smh:

Your ignorance is bad, and you should feel bad

Now I will go back to listening my rap musc

NOT what I said. NONE of them appear to be any of the rappers I mentioned. Does anyone read or listen? No, you just jump at the chance to act like a **** and use google image search. Nowhere did I say that rappers NEVER wore jordans. If you read the entire thread, smart *** I said that hip hop and basketball/kicks went hand in hand. Feel free to go back and read that. What I said is that the current rappers are wearing these now as opposed to when they first came out, they were not sneakerheads. You see little Jimmy wearing Jordans on Degrassi? No. T,I,Rick Ross? none of them dudes, and the list goes on and on. They jumped on the trend AFTER it got popular. Add Fab to the list also. Lil Wayne was NOT a sneakerhead when he first got on. It's product placement by Nike. I've seen your posts and you seem like a younger dude who likes kicks, no knock on you. You can't control when you were born and you can buy what you like. Stop turning this into older dudes vs. younger dudes, it's not the point I was trying to make. They use the rappers to create unnecessary hype for kicks. You sound like someone who falls for their gimmick. Nike is a research company as well, wouldn't it serve them well to know their customers. They certainly got you, I've seen your posts of what you want released or when things are coming out etc. They read this board and we give them all the keys to push our buttons to keep coming back and buying their overpriced gimmicks now. The pics above ain't nothing new, but you lack context. None of them wore stuff that wasn't out yet or not even available. That's the difference now. They wore everything that was attainable by going to the store, not PE's no exclusives, nothing. GR shoes. Oh but I guess I'm wrong because I was alive to point out context in terms of marketing.There was no hype. Dope rapper in a dope shoe by an athlete you watch and love, no blog, IG, FB, twitter, nothing. That's what newer buyers are missing, but I again say, not your fault when you were born. You sound very ignorant blasting someone and didn't read the entirety of what I said. Now go sit your *** down before you speak.

:rofl: @ cribs first aired in 2000, and I'm the ignorant one? G'head on with that man :lol:

Last edited:
Used google image search? I knew of these for a while. Falling for their gimmick? I've been doing this since I was 11......

And even if I did this because of rappers, i wouldnt see the problem.

And not having money for a lot of sneakers doesnt make you any less of a sneakerhead.

Either way your baseless assumptions are just as bad as any other.

Miss me with that smug ****

Last edited:
FAT JOE BEEN COLLECTING BRO! im not from the east coast... but fat joe been having heat...

Been having heat since '02 right? That must make him an OG. Riiiiight. I rolled my eyes at that episode because all them joints he had seemed new. Seems like he copped those recently on ebay. He was the earliest form of the hypebeast. I believe he said "these are like $5,000 on the ebay" :rofl:. It was an OG, they were not 5k. If he paid that much, then he overpaid. Real "sneakerhead" move right there. Fat Joe rocked Timbs and Uptowns mostly. Some of y'all was young when that episode aired and didn't really know tho. It's all good

Used google image search? I knew of these for a while. Falling for their gimmick? I've been doing this since I was 11......

And even if I did this because of rappers, i wouldnt see the problem.

And not having money for a lot of sneakers doesnt make you any less of a sneakerhead.

Either way your baseless assumptions are just as bad as any other.

Miss me with that smug ****

It's you who is acting smug and too blind to see the game being played. You already fiending for aquas. You're so busy trying to fire shots on a message board you're missing it. I'm a little older than you so I'm giving you background that I witness firsthand but you search on the internet. Go track Wayne's career and check his footwear. AF1's and other wack ****. Now he wears Jordans and such. Same for Fat Joe. Idk what it is with some younger people. JB got y'all jumping like pookie. I've seen the progression, they are purposely placing these shoes like this, it's unprecedented hype. Why would they spend money advertising the shoe again? They did it 20 years ago. Next best step? Put them on rappers that kids listen to, give them an advanced pair that blogs will take pics of and boom, hype. You got young dummies saying black and red space jams, that goes to show you the lack of context and height of hype. You got hurt because maybe the shoe fit, but I wasn't talking to you.

Last edited:
This release is already creating a war lol... i cant wait to see what happens... definitely not even gonna stress myself out about these... straight hype

Fiending for the Aquas because they are one of the few colorways of 8s I like. Whats your point? You made a whole bunch of arguments and none of them worked. So i dont know what shoe fit.

I watched MJ play a few times. I dont care for sports. Not going to not wear these shoes because some of you feel high and mighty for being born a whole decade earlier than me....

I've said why I collect but when i do oldheads on this site go out of their way to say they arent real reasons. Somehow only their reasons for collecting are the only good ones so i wont get into it again. But you havent listed one of the two.

But since my reasons arent sports related i have no problem defending the kids who do wear it for rappers or those who werent old enough to see him play because none of that **** matters.

Last edited:
Fiending for the Aquas because they are one of the few colorways of 8s I like. Whats your point? You made a whole bunch of arguments and none of them worked. So i dont know what shoe fit.

I watched MJ play a few times. I dont care for sports. Not going to not wear these shoes because some of you feel high and mighty for being born a whole decade earlier than me....

I've said why I collect but when i do oldheads on this site go out of their way to say they arent real reasons. Somehow only their reasons for collecting are the only good ones so i wont get into it again. But you havent listed one of the two.

But since my reasons arent sports related i have no problem defending the kids who do wear it for rappers or those who werent old enough to see him play because none of that **** matters.

1. You responded, but I wasn't talking to YOU. I was talking in general, so the shoe fit somewhere
2. Oh you one of those dudes. Cool. Never bothered me, just seems like you buy them to be cool. There was always dudes like that from the beginning. I buy kicks and eventually wear them, so I don't know where you were going with that so whatever. You just seem to like to argue, I don't follow you like that or know why you collect, that comment about aquas just stuck in my passing as I read many threads here. Have a good night. Peace.

This release is already creating a war lol... i cant wait to see what happens... definitely not even gonna stress myself out about these... straight hype

Nah, its no war here my dude. No need for all of that. I just refuse to get sucked into JB's stupid tricks. It works on some, not on me. That's all I was saying.

Back
Top Bottom