Official ALCS NY Yankees vs. Texas Rangers Thread (Rangers Lead 3-1)

we eliminate the rangers in 6

Thank God For The Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we eliminate the rangers in 6

Thank God For The Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by rashi

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Can someone explain to me why everybody is talking about the Rangers bullpen and it being a problem? The bullpen was nails all year.

You right, they were. The Rangers only blew a lead in Game 3 and why would Washington let Lee throw a CG if he was confident in his bullpen?

laugh.gif
 for real?

Their bullpen is one of the best in the majors.  They have two starters in Feliz and Holland who throw 95-98 a pop and Ogando was one of the best set up men in the bigs this year.

Originally Posted by rashi

Can someone explain to me why everybody is talking about the Rangers bullpen and it being a problem? The bullpen was nails all year.

You right, they were. The Rangers only blew a lead in Game 3 and why would Washington let Lee throw a CG if he was confident in his bullpen?

laugh.gif
 for real?

Their bullpen is one of the best in the majors.  They have two starters in Feliz and Holland who throw 95-98 a pop and Ogando was one of the best set up men in the bigs this year.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 i don't get this "yanks in 5 or 6" and "i'm just glad we didn't have to face the rays" all said in the same breath. 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 i don't get this "yanks in 5 or 6" and "i'm just glad we didn't have to face the rays" all said in the same breath. 

very glad Girardi decided to go with Hughes in game 2 and split up the lefties like I suggested.

Best case scenario we are up 3-0 and AJ performance either clinches or is brushed aside. Then again if we are at 3-0 I think Girardi might tap CC to clinch it

very glad Girardi decided to go with Hughes in game 2 and split up the lefties like I suggested.

Best case scenario we are up 3-0 and AJ performance either clinches or is brushed aside. Then again if we are at 3-0 I think Girardi might tap CC to clinch it

[h1]Yankees, Rangers payroll disparity largest in playoff history [/h1]
When the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees do battle in the ALCS, it will mark the greatest disparity in raw dollars between payrolls in the history of playoff baseball, at $152 million. Seriously.

Below, we’ve compared the 2010 payrolls (figures per ESPN.com) of both teams, and presented some fun facts for you to impress your friends. Don’t get enough spreadsheets at work? Of course you don’t.

• The difference between Alex Rodriguez (Yankees’ highest-paid player) and Michael Young (Rangers’ highest-paid) is Mark Teixeira.
  • Re: The Rangers’ five highest-paid players. Cliff Lee, Cristian Guzman and Jorge Cantu were just picked up this summer via trade. Rich Harden was released four days ago.
  • For the price of Alex Rodriguez, you could sign every Texas Ranger except the six highest paid.
  • The difference between the Yankees payroll and the Rangers payroll is the Cubs payroll. The Cubs have the third-highest payroll in baseball.
  • Kerry Wood is alive.
  • Cliff Lee, C.J. Wilson, Colby Lewis and Tommy Hunter (all of Texas’ playoff starting rotation) combined make less than Mariano Rivera – the Yankees’ closer.
  • Who the %%@+ is Boone Logan? And how does Neftali Feliz make less than him?
  • Jeff Francoeur earns roughly $2 million per hit. (Not true, but feels that way.)
  • The Yankees won 95 games at $207 million. The Rangers won 90 at $55 mil. The Yankees paid $30.4 million per extra win.
  • The Rangers could triple every current player’s salary, sign Mark Teixeira away from the Yankees, and still have a lower payroll.

[h1]Yankees, Rangers payroll disparity largest in playoff history [/h1]
When the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees do battle in the ALCS, it will mark the greatest disparity in raw dollars between payrolls in the history of playoff baseball, at $152 million. Seriously.

Below, we’ve compared the 2010 payrolls (figures per ESPN.com) of both teams, and presented some fun facts for you to impress your friends. Don’t get enough spreadsheets at work? Of course you don’t.

• The difference between Alex Rodriguez (Yankees’ highest-paid player) and Michael Young (Rangers’ highest-paid) is Mark Teixeira.
  • Re: The Rangers’ five highest-paid players. Cliff Lee, Cristian Guzman and Jorge Cantu were just picked up this summer via trade. Rich Harden was released four days ago.
  • For the price of Alex Rodriguez, you could sign every Texas Ranger except the six highest paid.
  • The difference between the Yankees payroll and the Rangers payroll is the Cubs payroll. The Cubs have the third-highest payroll in baseball.
  • Kerry Wood is alive.
  • Cliff Lee, C.J. Wilson, Colby Lewis and Tommy Hunter (all of Texas’ playoff starting rotation) combined make less than Mariano Rivera – the Yankees’ closer.
  • Who the %%@+ is Boone Logan? And how does Neftali Feliz make less than him?
  • Jeff Francoeur earns roughly $2 million per hit. (Not true, but feels that way.)
  • The Yankees won 95 games at $207 million. The Rangers won 90 at $55 mil. The Yankees paid $30.4 million per extra win.
  • The Rangers could triple every current player’s salary, sign Mark Teixeira away from the Yankees, and still have a lower payroll.

^ Next year you can add Crawford and Cliff Lee to the Yankees payroll at 20 Million for each player.

Rangers in 7.

^ Next year you can add Crawford and Cliff Lee to the Yankees payroll at 20 Million for each player.

Rangers in 7.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/teams/new-york-yankees
Yankees' storied postseason success matters in a series against the historically futile Rangers
Filip Bondy

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 4:00 AM
Yankees of the past and present - #*$%!$ Ford, Yogi Berra, Joe Girardi and Derek Jeter - know a thing or two about winning. The Rangers have only Nolan Ryan's no-hitters to boast.

Over the past 50 years, the Yankees have won nine of their world championships, 15 American League pennants and fielded the likes of Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter.

The Texas Rangers, meanwhile, played .471 baseball, moved from one dumpy stadium in Washington to a worse one in Arlington, never captured a home playoff game and never reached a World Series.

The Rangers have retired exactly one player's jersey (aside from Jackie Robinson's) and attempted to counter George M. Steinbrenner with George W. Bush in the owner's box.

All they've ever had was Nolan Ryan, and they've ridden him like an urban cowboy on a mechanical bull.

Ryan's no-hitters aside, this ALCS represents one of sports' great historical mismatches, 40 pennants versus zero. The Yanks should win this series just by throwing their pinstriped uniforms onto the field and reading from a few pages of The Baseball Encyclopedia.

If only Bud Selig would agree to waive a few silly postseason rules, the Bombers might send their Scranton/Wilkes-Barre roster to Arlington for the first couple of games, make this a fair fight.

Of course, the Yanks are too diplomatic to admit such a thing.

"I think history can play a role if you're playing a team where the guys have played against you," Joe Girardi said. "Most of (the Rangers) don't remember the late '90s, so it's not going to affect them one way of another. It doesn't mean anything to them."

Well, it should. The Rangers are the oldest of three existing major league clubs never to have won a pennant. They should be ashamed to bring their media guides to the Bronx.

The late '90s? What about the '60s, when the Rangers were born as the Washington Senators, mostly to appease congressmen who were ready to vote away the league's antitrust exemptions after the other Senators moved to Minnesota.

Those new, second-generation Senators were every bit as lousy and nomadic as the first batch. During their odd-ball stay in our nation's capital - who can forget Richard Nixon throwing out the first baseball? - and then after moving to Turnpike Stadium in Arlington, the Senators/Rangers managed exactly one .500 season among their first 15 years, through 1976.

The magic moments since then? How about a New York Times reporter declaring with anguish her retirement from sports writing after fighting the backward postgame flow of fans and dealing with the horrors of the old rat-infested Arlington Stadium?

How about the Rangers signing Alex Rodriguez to an unsustainable 10-year, $252 million contract in 2000, when the team still didn't have enough pitching to field a contender? Or owner Tom Hicks defaulting on $525 million in loans and Major League Baseball paying the club's operating expenses from a common fund?

Or A-Rod filing as a creditor in court this year, seeking the $24.9 million still owed him by the Rangers?

Yes, this has been a sad, losing franchise for half a century, but not in a charming way like the Cubbies. The Rangers are still hoping to emerge from the darkest of dark ages now under the guidance of Ryan and new owner Chuck Greenberg - who happens to be from Pittsburgh, so you can imagine how much he knows about building a decent baseball team.

Here's the bottom line: In New York, a professional club is only worth as much as it pays its players, or as much as the franchise can attract on the open market.

The Yankees' total payroll on opening day was $206.33 million, while the Rangers' was $55.25. The Rangers were sold to the Greenberg group for $570 million, despite playing now in the respectable Rangers Ballpark.

Forbes estimates the Yankees are worth about three times that.

Why are they even playing this series? Why don't they just use the scores from '96, '98 and '99?

"I can't even think back to those years," Jorge Posada said. "It's over. I don't think it matters."
It matters. The Yankees lead, 27 titles to none. Play ball.

I'd be OK with it if every Yankees fan took a collective nosedive off the Empire State Building.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/teams/new-york-yankees
Yankees' storied postseason success matters in a series against the historically futile Rangers
Filip Bondy

Thursday, October 14th 2010, 4:00 AM
Yankees of the past and present - #*$%!$ Ford, Yogi Berra, Joe Girardi and Derek Jeter - know a thing or two about winning. The Rangers have only Nolan Ryan's no-hitters to boast.

Over the past 50 years, the Yankees have won nine of their world championships, 15 American League pennants and fielded the likes of Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter.

The Texas Rangers, meanwhile, played .471 baseball, moved from one dumpy stadium in Washington to a worse one in Arlington, never captured a home playoff game and never reached a World Series.

The Rangers have retired exactly one player's jersey (aside from Jackie Robinson's) and attempted to counter George M. Steinbrenner with George W. Bush in the owner's box.

All they've ever had was Nolan Ryan, and they've ridden him like an urban cowboy on a mechanical bull.

Ryan's no-hitters aside, this ALCS represents one of sports' great historical mismatches, 40 pennants versus zero. The Yanks should win this series just by throwing their pinstriped uniforms onto the field and reading from a few pages of The Baseball Encyclopedia.

If only Bud Selig would agree to waive a few silly postseason rules, the Bombers might send their Scranton/Wilkes-Barre roster to Arlington for the first couple of games, make this a fair fight.

Of course, the Yanks are too diplomatic to admit such a thing.

"I think history can play a role if you're playing a team where the guys have played against you," Joe Girardi said. "Most of (the Rangers) don't remember the late '90s, so it's not going to affect them one way of another. It doesn't mean anything to them."

Well, it should. The Rangers are the oldest of three existing major league clubs never to have won a pennant. They should be ashamed to bring their media guides to the Bronx.

The late '90s? What about the '60s, when the Rangers were born as the Washington Senators, mostly to appease congressmen who were ready to vote away the league's antitrust exemptions after the other Senators moved to Minnesota.

Those new, second-generation Senators were every bit as lousy and nomadic as the first batch. During their odd-ball stay in our nation's capital - who can forget Richard Nixon throwing out the first baseball? - and then after moving to Turnpike Stadium in Arlington, the Senators/Rangers managed exactly one .500 season among their first 15 years, through 1976.

The magic moments since then? How about a New York Times reporter declaring with anguish her retirement from sports writing after fighting the backward postgame flow of fans and dealing with the horrors of the old rat-infested Arlington Stadium?

How about the Rangers signing Alex Rodriguez to an unsustainable 10-year, $252 million contract in 2000, when the team still didn't have enough pitching to field a contender? Or owner Tom Hicks defaulting on $525 million in loans and Major League Baseball paying the club's operating expenses from a common fund?

Or A-Rod filing as a creditor in court this year, seeking the $24.9 million still owed him by the Rangers?

Yes, this has been a sad, losing franchise for half a century, but not in a charming way like the Cubbies. The Rangers are still hoping to emerge from the darkest of dark ages now under the guidance of Ryan and new owner Chuck Greenberg - who happens to be from Pittsburgh, so you can imagine how much he knows about building a decent baseball team.

Here's the bottom line: In New York, a professional club is only worth as much as it pays its players, or as much as the franchise can attract on the open market.

The Yankees' total payroll on opening day was $206.33 million, while the Rangers' was $55.25. The Rangers were sold to the Greenberg group for $570 million, despite playing now in the respectable Rangers Ballpark.

Forbes estimates the Yankees are worth about three times that.

Why are they even playing this series? Why don't they just use the scores from '96, '98 and '99?

"I can't even think back to those years," Jorge Posada said. "It's over. I don't think it matters."
It matters. The Yankees lead, 27 titles to none. Play ball.

I'd be OK with it if every Yankees fan took a collective nosedive off the Empire State Building.

alotta nastiness coming from the texas fans ..

where did all of this hate come from all of a sudden. i mean u would think you'd appreciate sharing the diamond with us, appreciate us letting step foot in yankee stadium and not just playing u guys in crotona park softball fields.

show alittle gratitude , bring some holy water to splash around the monuments, take off your shoes before you enter the stadium, alittle class please you texas bums ......

now with that said i see the yanks finishing this in 5 losing only game 3 so that we dont ruin lee's confidence for when we sign him next year. have fun texas, enjoy the sights of ny and if i can suggest anything to ease your pain come wednesday night, try the halal stand on 53rd & 6th . it'll soothe any depressed feelings you will experience .....

P1010995.JPG

2802959400_615cba0fc0.jpg

pimp.gif

alotta nastiness coming from the texas fans ..

where did all of this hate come from all of a sudden. i mean u would think you'd appreciate sharing the diamond with us, appreciate us letting step foot in yankee stadium and not just playing u guys in crotona park softball fields.

show alittle gratitude , bring some holy water to splash around the monuments, take off your shoes before you enter the stadium, alittle class please you texas bums ......

now with that said i see the yanks finishing this in 5 losing only game 3 so that we dont ruin lee's confidence for when we sign him next year. have fun texas, enjoy the sights of ny and if i can suggest anything to ease your pain come wednesday night, try the halal stand on 53rd & 6th . it'll soothe any depressed feelings you will experience .....

P1010995.JPG

2802959400_615cba0fc0.jpg

pimp.gif

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/teams/new-york-yankees...

laugh.gif
 I had to scroll back up to make sure I read the screen name right after that comment...

Next year you can add Crawford and Cliff Lee to the Yankees payroll at 20 Million for each player.
Unless the pull a move they did with Tex (which isn't out of the realm of possibility) he's going to either Anaheim or Boston.  And it ain't because it's the Yankees that Crawford will get $20 million, you can thank the Mets for that one.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/teams/new-york-yankees...

laugh.gif
 I had to scroll back up to make sure I read the screen name right after that comment...

Next year you can add Crawford and Cliff Lee to the Yankees payroll at 20 Million for each player.
Unless the pull a move they did with Tex (which isn't out of the realm of possibility) he's going to either Anaheim or Boston.  And it ain't because it's the Yankees that Crawford will get $20 million, you can thank the Mets for that one.

Pro Cliff Lee will be a Yankee next year, we get who we want and its obvious we want him and would've had him this year is the Mariners didn't flake at the last minute. Still pissed about that to be Honest
30t6p3b.gif

Pro Cliff Lee will be a Yankee next year, we get who we want and its obvious we want him and would've had him this year is the Mariners didn't flake at the last minute. Still pissed about that to be Honest
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom