Official B l u - r a y thread - Confirmed: Lucasfilm preparing Star Wars box

Originally Posted by salbah3

Originally Posted by yeahitsRUST

Originally Posted by i3allistic

Originally Posted by jae oh en

anyone seen any deals for the lord of the rings trilogy that drops next week?

review on it wasn't that nice
Hella DNR supposedly, nice another one botched by WB smh. I wanted to pick it up too

Forgive me, but what is DNR? So nobodys coppin the box set? I was stoked to see it coming out...
ohwell.gif
My bad, its Digital Noise Reduction. Grain seems to piss people off so studios can apply DNR to smooth out the picture and reduce/eliminate grain. The thing is you're removing a lot of detail and it gives you the waxy, smudged look. I used to hate grain but no thanks, I'd rather have it intact and preserve the PQ rather than have an unnaturally smooth, smudged PQ. I say just wait, that trilogy deserves much better. 

Thanks for the clear up!

Hella DNR supposedly, nice another one botched by WB smh. I wanted to pick it up too

Forgive me, but what is DNR? So nobodys coppin the box set? I was stoked to see it coming out...
ohwell.gif
My bad, its Digital Noise Reduction. Grain seems to piss people off so studios can apply DNR to smooth out the picture and reduce/eliminate grain. The thing is you're removing a lot of detail and it gives you the waxy, smudged look. I used to hate grain but no thanks, I'd rather have it intact and preserve the PQ rather than have an unnaturally smooth, smudged PQ. I say just wait, that trilogy deserves much better. 
Plus, LotR had DNR applied in post-production.  The general consensus is subpar PQ, excellent audio.

An easy pass for me. Then again I'm not one of those people convinced LotR is a masterwork. I rate the films a respectable 7/10 each.

any recommend me a good blueray player with netflix built in with wifi, i see a few good ones with lan cables but unfortunately my modem & living room are not in proximity.

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

any recommend me a good blueray player with netflix built in with wifi, i see a few good ones with lan cables but unfortunately my modem & living room are not in proximity.
ps3?

I vowed to never buy a movie on blu-ray that I already had on DVD. I couldn't resist. I bought Crank and The Matrix. They were both worth it.

I think I will pick up Minority Report also.

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

already have one, looking for something to less the load for my surround sound set up
a wifi blu-ray player will cost not much less then a ps3, unless your going off-brand such as insigna
grin.gif
..$179, for wifi blu-ray player

Received A Nightmare on Elm Street from Amazon today for $16.99.

The PQ is excellent for a movie that come out 26 years ago.

The special features are in HD also.

Also $7.50 movie cash for the remake that comes out later this month.

Originally Posted by SenatorJeffSmith

ohwell.gif
Plus, LotR had DNR applied in post-production.  The general consensus is subpar PQ, excellent audio.

An easy pass for me. Then again I'm not one of those people convinced LotR is a masterwork. I rate the films a respectable 7/10 each.
Yeah, I know its so avoidable. Is it the same master they used to DVD's do you know? I'll wait til the remaster and that they don't touch one thing, EE and DNR is so annoying. WB should follow Disney, even their non-Pixar has been top notch (Kill Bill series) sans the first release of Gangs of New York. WB can do so well aka The Departed...even the The Dark Knight could have been better though smh

Great news for the format:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4461

[h2]Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works[/h2]
Posted April 17, 2010 08:10 PM by Juan Calonge

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
fox.jpg
During a panel at the C2E2 comic convention in Chicago, Steve Sansweet, Lucasfilm's Director of Content Management and Head of Fan Relations, stated that the company has been working on a Star Wars Blu-ray set. "We have been at work for a couple of years working on—I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff—but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material", said Sansweet.

Sansweet didn't give a date, but he said " it won't be in the too distant future."

The Digital Bits, quoting industry sources, says that Lucasfilm "tentatively plans the official Blu-ray release to happen in October 2011." Obviously, with the Alien Anthology coming later this year, a 2010 release of Star Wars can be safely ruled out, and considering that A New Hope opened theatrically in May 1977, late 2011 would be a natural choice for a 35th Anniversary Edition Anthology.[/td][/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by SenatorJeffSmith

ohwell.gif

Yeah, I know its so avoidable. Is it the same master they used to DVD's do you know? I'll wait til the remaster and that they don't touch one thing, EE and DNR is so annoying. WB should follow Disney, even their non-Pixar has been top notch (Kill Bill series) sans the first release of Gangs of New York. WB can do so well aka The Departed...even the The Dark Knight could have been better though smh

The blurays are a definite upgrade to their dvd counterparts. The pic quality might night be 10s across the board. but they are at least strong 8's. And audio wise they blow the dvds away.

I'm not sure if any deals are to be found really. I think amazon still has them for 63.99 which is less than the $85 they retail for.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by GeNeRaTiOnZ

Originally Posted by DigitalSix

720p works fine for me.......and it beats keeping all the discs around...and once you watch them, trust me, you won't tell much of a difference...........idunno bout the "far from blu-ray".......but, it's all good

My list for the moment......
There is nothing "bluray" about this list fam
720p for gaming is good, but 1080p for BRs all day
pimp.gif
That's not even 720p

a "REAL" 720P rip would be 25-40 gigs, not 4

These are real bluray rips
37356791.jpg
^
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

What is that suppose to be?

720p scene rip is 25-40GB? Huh?

Do you have any idea what your talking about?

For example, a 1080p scene rip of Goodfellas is 12.70GB.

Even the untouched blu-rays in 1080p don't exceed 40GB. Get your facts straight.

Someone convince me that buying season 13 of South Park on Blu-Ray for 22.50 at Bestbuy is a dumb idea before I pull the trigger lol

^Buy it on DVD from Amazon for $17.99 and save $4.50.

It will look better in the collection. I'm assuming you got the other seasons on DVD.

I'm also assuming you have more DVD players then blu-ray players.

Do you really need to watch SP in HD?

I'm probably too late anyways.

i used to think jordans were going to put me in the poor but now i think its going to be blu rays

Originally Posted by Prada G

Originally Posted by GeNeRaTiOnZ

Originally Posted by DigitalSix

720p works fine for me.......and it beats keeping all the discs around...and once you watch them, trust me, you won't tell much of a difference...........idunno bout the "far from blu-ray".......but, it's all good

My list for the moment......
There is nothing "bluray" about this list fam
720p for gaming is good, but 1080p for BRs all day
pimp.gif
That's not even 720p

a "REAL" 720P rip would be 25-40 gigs, not 4

These are real bluray rips
37356791.jpg
^
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

What is that suppose to be?

720p scene rip is 25-40GB? Huh?

Do you have any idea what your talking about?

For example, a 1080p scene rip of Goodfellas is 12.70GB.

Even the untouched blu-rays in 1080p don't exceed 40GB. Get your facts straight.
a 3 hr 1080p flick is not 12 gigs idiot
roll.gif

99% of "bluray rips" you find online are compressed to hell

an untouched rip is gonna be about 23-25gb per hr.

Back
Top Bottom