Official BBQ thread

Injecting the turkey with butter doesnt taste like eating butter, lol. You barely, and i mean barely taste it. It helps to keep the meat moist on along with the brine because it dries out fairly easy when smoking. Ive been smoking turkeys for thanksgiving for the past seven years. I dont think Ill ever do it another way.

Gonna mix some walkers wood with Bbq because I didn’t have time to marinade because I was supposed to work and got called off.

got a tri tip for tomorrow, any suggestions? Might just go salt and pepper.

7F214DC1-CB1A-47D7-9648-A5996CC5D82B.jpeg

Injecting the turkey with butter doesnt taste like eating butter, lol. You barely, and i mean barely taste it. It helps to keep the meat moist on along with the brine because it dries out fairly easy when smoking. Ive been smoking turkeys for thanksgiving for the past seven years. I dont think Ill ever do it another way.
Nah I know
It’s just growing up my parents kinda made butter taboo in our house so the idea of injecting it with a syringe is a little wild to me :lol: :lol:

I’ve done both and I don’t think it makes any difference so I don’t bother now because it’s a hassle.

IMO the key to moist meat is temperature control - both of the heat source and the internal temperature of the meat - you need to get it off at the right time and then let it sit for a while if it’s a big thing when it will continue to cook and increase in temperature for a bit longer - so for a turkey I’d be taking it off at 160° and letting it sit for an hour or so - the second half wrapped in foil and in a cooler.

Wife’s been craving some bbq and I’ve been wanting to do a smoke.

First time - what should I try? Have a Weber performer and am aware of the snake method etc. open to brisket, pork rib, etc - just wanna try something new besides the usual steaks, etc.

probably just us two anyways so what’s a good first smoke?

3-2-1 Spare ribs is great for 1st timers

I feel like ribs and wings were the first things I put on a smoker

chickens too I’d say since they’re cheap and don’t take too long.

I wouldn’t do a brisket for a first smoke especially on a kettle grill. That’s gonna be a long day.

First time - what should I try? Have a Weber performer and am aware of the snake method etc. open to brisket, pork rib, etc - just wanna try something new besides the usual steaks, etc.

I just started this summer. So far I’ve only done various forms of chicken. Thighs, bone in/skin on thighs, wings, legs, and a whole bird

Next I wanna do ribs

leg quarters lol Everyone hates them just as an idea so they literally give them away in stores, I think Crest has 10lbs for 3 dollars. If it bothers you enough, just cut it so it' a drumstick and a thigh. Save money that way since either cut is like 2 dollars a lb just because the butcher already took 5 seconds to cut it for you. I had about 15 people last weekend for a birthday party, its one of the meats I did. Was a huge hit, pretty easy to cook too

I will go with chicken thighs.

Even if they are overcooked (subjective) thry can still be enjoyable. (Subjective)

Don't start out practicing with Beefs.

Thanks.

Any recipes on a whole chicken or thighs y’all like? Probably aiming for a whole chicken or
3-2-1 pork ribs.

Thanks.

Any recipes on a whole chicken or thighs y’all like? Probably aiming for a whole chicken or
3-2-1 pork ribs.
Leave the ribs alone for now would be my suggestion. FOcus on one thing at a time which is the chickens.

Not whole chicken either, DARK meat which will give you plenty margin for error.

Just start out basic, salt, pepper, garlic powder. As you get better, you can adjust.

As you get better, you can try new meats.

Don't try to overdo it man. Basic. Basic. Basic.

Pork butt or ribs are easiest and most forgiving smokes imo cheap too
Nah, you are probably talking from a place of experience.

Both can easily be ruined :lol:

Last edited:
I also suggest reading this site front to back.

How to Control Temperature with Indirect Cooking and The 2-Zone Setup for BBQ

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...p-and-firing/how-control-temperature-indirect

Also, this is a great resource. Look at his WHOLE chicken playlist. Not just the tacos that was accidentally linked below.

Barbecue Chicken Recipes by Malcom Reed - YouTube
Barbecue Chicken Recipes by Malcom Reed

via @YouTube

Back
Top Bottom