Official BBQ thread

Don't have a Traeger but do have a pellet grill.

Pros are easily the convenience of setting and forgetting it without worrying of temp spikes. Set a temp and you're good and mines stays within 5 degrees of what I set it to

Maintenance upkeep is pretty easy. Shop Vac helps with cleaning up all the ash faster

Cons- Some ppl say they don't get as much smoke flavor as you would usually get from a traditional grill/smoker. It is sometimes more mild than ppl prefer but you can always get a smoke box or tube for that (but this adds a step to the convenience factor)

Lack of charcoal flavor is a con imo. While you still get great food I still prefer charcoal and wood on an offset/bge/weber/ect.

and unless it has a sear box that exposes the direct flame I personally don't like them for high temp grilling. Will be hard to get good sear with one
Have you tried any charcoal pellets? Just wondering since charcoal flavor is one of the reasons I haven’t pulled the trigger on a pellet smoker

The Green Mountain pellet grills reach 550 for searing...
Yeah I know all pellet grills can technically sear

I just prefer to grill direct using something else unless you can sear over the fire pot like you can with a Yoder. I cant remember if GMG's can do that or not though.

Just my personal opinion

Have you tried any charcoal pellets? Just wondering since charcoal flavor is one of the reasons I haven’t pulled the trigger on a pellet smoker

Yeah I've tried these so far

91Sj+WL+RPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I feel like they help a little :lol: but doesn't substitute for the real thing

Just bought a huge hunk of beef on clearance. Probably twice what we need. It’s already past noon so I’ll get it on the smoker tomorrow morning - don’t want to be eating at 10pm if it takes a long time.

Wow, that is amazing - not quite brisket tender but really close (and half the price).

10 hours in the smoker, huge stall as usual, wrapped at 165° and pulled at 210°. It shrunk a lot - about 2/3 in length.

The thing I’m most surprised is that the pointed end was about an inch off the charcoal and it didn’t get charred at all. I don’t know how that works but the Pit Barrel is known for that.
84E9F010-435F-4CA2-A43B-0FF0668DBE1D.jpeg

4150814A-30C8-4E2D-80C0-99CFAEF82133.jpeg

Best way to prepare steaks (sous vide) before hand?

Gonna plan on sous vide steaks but will need to do it 2-3 days before I actually grill them.

Salt/pepper. Vacuum seal. Sous Vide. Ice bath and freeze.

Thaw under hot under in a bowl 2-3 days later, pat/dry, then grill/sear?

or am I over thinking it? Just don’t wanna get anyone sick lol

sole searchin sole searchin I’ve personally never done a cook, freeze, reheat but Guga from Sous Vide Everything did the same experiment:
The only difference between his and your approach is that he used the sous vide again to reheat the steaks for 30 mins at the same cook temp. I would try to go that route but if not possible, try to heat the water using a pot, flame, and thermometer to thaw at the cooking temp.

A percise water temp to thaw may be unnecessary since the meat should already be fully cooked. Let us know how it turns out. I’m curious.

I highly recommend seasoning your steaks with this stuff (check your local Costco):
CCFB3A4C-827F-4432-BE58-E8381A0E482F.jpeg
Just add pepper. The butter and garlic flavor really come through.

sole searchin sole searchin I’ve personally never done a cook, freeze, reheat but Guga from Sous Vide Everything did the same experiment:
The only difference between his and your approach is that he used the sous vide again to reheat the steaks for 30 mins at the same cook temp. I would try to go that route but if not possible, try to heat the water using a pot, flame, and thermometer to thaw at the cooking temp.

A percise water temp to thaw may be unnecessary since the meat should already be fully cooked. Let us know how it turns out. I’m curious.

I highly recommend seasoning your steaks with this stuff (check your local Costco):
CCFB3A4C-827F-4432-BE58-E8381A0E482F.jpeg
Just add pepper. The butter and garlic flavor really come through.

yeah seen it that way also but trying to avoid bringing the sous vide set up. Thanks! I’ll try that seasoning.

Rec tec 340 or grilla chimp?

leaning towards rec tec since they are basically the same price.

edit. Might wait for the bullseye since it gets hot af. And has “riot mode” I love a good riot.

Last edited:
Rec tec 340 or grilla chimp?

leaning towards rec tec since they are basically the same price.

edit. Might wait for the bullseye since it gets hot af. And has “riot mode” I love a good riot.
Those Bullseyes be moving.

340 is nice, only thing I dont like is the low overhead which isn't the biggest deal.

Got some Tri Tip I'm gonna reverse sear. Was looking for some vids on YT and saw AllthingsBBQ just dropped a vid for one recently.

Didn't think to cook one like a brisket. I'll keep mines in the medium territory but this still looks fire

Back
Top Bottom