...Official BLACKBERRY Thread v.updated...

^ It is i have one and i can barely keep it out my hands, it feels like sex in the palms
roll.gif

Wait, when is the Tour 2 coming out?

I'm asking because I was up at Sprint the other day and I was gonna buy the Tour, but I'm gonna wait until the end of next month. I'm gonna bepissed if I get it then and the second one is coming out soon after...

Originally Posted by AG 47

Originally Posted by osubass1

bxbadboy90 wrote:

For those of you that previously had the bold 9000 and upgraded to the bold 9700 how was the transition? Currently wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to the 9700.

i got the 9000 on release day last year, and upgraded to the 9700 on release day this year.

i've used the old Pearl, the Storm, the Tour, the 8830, the 8520, and of all those, the 9700 is the best BlackBerry i've ever owned.

when you ask about the transition, i'm assuming you're asking how long it took to get used to it. the 9700 is considerably smaller than the 9000, and that took some time to get used to the smaller keys. beyond that, the trackpad is infinitely better than the trackballs. (i went through 4 Tours trying to get 1 with a trackball that worked.)

i know the processor is supposed to be the same as the 9000, but the 9700 is faster for me in every way. internet is faster, boot time is faster, response times are faster.

it's just a great phone.

That's interesting considering the Tour and Bold are essentially the same phone. Is the trackpad and wi-fi that big of a difference (please say no and make me feel better about my Tour
laugh.gif
).
The main difference between the Tour and the 9700 Bold has more to do with the Cellulartechnology they employ. Tour uses CDMA for voice and 3G data. Bold uses GSM for voice and WCDMA for 3G data. Before someone comes in here and tries to correctme HSDPA/UMTS is a service of WCDMA.

With CDMA data and voice share the same transmitting and receiving radio, so that means you can only do data or voicebut neither simultaneously. You can still get text messages while on the phone, but no email and no internet. This is why I cannot go with Verizon or Sprintfor that matter. I had the Droid and I loved it, but I hated how I had to get off the phone to make sure no important emails came through.

With GSM for voice and WCDMA/HSDPA/UMTS for 3G data the Bold can do both voice and data simultaneously. This means anemail comes through and you can read AND respond while still on the phone. Also you can surf the internet in 3G speed while on the phone...but the mostOVERLOOKED benefit of simultaneous voice and data is TETHERING. With a Bold (either the 9000 or 9700) you can tether your 3G connection to your laptop viaBLUETOOTH and still be able to send and receive phone calls without interrupting the 3G internet connection you have established with your laptop. I do thiswhen I don't feel like paying for a Wi-Fi hotspot when I am out and about and I need to use my internet on my MacBook Pro. And no I do not have a tetheringplan.

Can anyone post a pic of how the Internet and mms text look on the blackberry bold 9700. Also does it get video messages

Thanks
TheNTGuy

I'm probably like one of few 9550 (Storm2) users but GOOD NEWS GENTLEMEN! BlackBerry Storm2 9550 OS 5.0.0.428 LEAKED! I'm currently installing it on mydevice, I'll post impressions if they're worth noting, but its about time anyway.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

Originally Posted by AG 47

Originally Posted by osubass1

bxbadboy90 wrote:

For those of you that previously had the bold 9000 and upgraded to the bold 9700 how was the transition? Currently wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to the 9700.

i got the 9000 on release day last year, and upgraded to the 9700 on release day this year.

i've used the old Pearl, the Storm, the Tour, the 8830, the 8520, and of all those, the 9700 is the best BlackBerry i've ever owned.

when you ask about the transition, i'm assuming you're asking how long it took to get used to it. the 9700 is considerably smaller than the 9000, and that took some time to get used to the smaller keys. beyond that, the trackpad is infinitely better than the trackballs. (i went through 4 Tours trying to get 1 with a trackball that worked.)

i know the processor is supposed to be the same as the 9000, but the 9700 is faster for me in every way. internet is faster, boot time is faster, response times are faster.

it's just a great phone.

That's interesting considering the Tour and Bold are essentially the same phone. Is the trackpad and wi-fi that big of a difference (please say no and make me feel better about my Tour
laugh.gif
).
The main difference between the Tour and the 9700 Bold has more to do with the Cellular technology they employ. Tour uses CDMA for voice and 3G data. Bold uses GSM for voice and WCDMA for 3G data. Before someone comes in here and tries to correct me HSDPA/UMTS is a service of WCDMA.

With CDMA data and voice share the same transmitting and receiving radio, so that means you can only do data or voice but neither simultaneously. You can still get text messages while on the phone, but no email and no internet. This is why I cannot go with Verizon or Sprint for that matter. I had the Droid and I loved it, but I hated how I had to get off the phone to make sure no important emails came through.

With GSM for voice and WCDMA/HSDPA/UMTS for 3G data the Bold can do both voice and data simultaneously. This means an email comes through and you can read AND respond while still on the phone. Also you can surf the internet in 3G speed while on the phone...but the most OVERLOOKED benefit of simultaneous voice and data is TETHERING. With a Bold (either the 9000 or 9700) you can tether your 3G connection to your laptop via BLUETOOTH and still be able to send and receive phone calls without interrupting the 3G internet connection you have established with your laptop. I do this when I don't feel like paying for a Wi-Fi hotspot when I am out and about and I need to use my internet on my MacBook Pro. And no I do not have a tethering plan.

That is exactly why I dropped Sprint and came runnin back to AT&T
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by politicsasusual

I'm probably like one of few 9550 (Storm2) users but GOOD NEWS GENTLEMEN! BlackBerry Storm2 9550 OS 5.0.0.428 LEAKED! I'm currently installing it on my device, I'll post impressions if they're worth noting, but its about time anyway.

just made my day.

That is exactly why I dropped Sprint and came runnin back to AT&T
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
My man stays switching providers like every month, Iswear. Weren't you just talking about the Tour a few days ago?

I am having some problems installing my Blackberry Desktop Software. A pop up comes up that says "The installation files cannot be validated. Pleaseverify the installer package and try again." Is there anyone who can help me with this?

Does anyone know how to get the unlock code?
do we just call our carrier and ask them for it?

Originally Posted by BangDak

Does anyone know how to get the unlock code?
do we just call our carrier and ask them for it?

Yeah, just call them up and say you're going out of the country. They should give you the unlock code without any problems.

i hate my storm. its slow and i need to update it. whats the easiest way to update your firmware on your phone? i have the first generation storm...

Alright. So I went to download the new BBM and during the download I recieved a phone call. It stopped the download and now I have no BBM on my phone at all.How can I redownload it and did I just lose all my contacts?
nerd.gif
frown.gif

Oh $%@, I just saw this thread and now have another reason to post more on NT. I <3 my BB..On my second one now, had an 8330 and upgraded to the Tour assoon as it came out. And I've been called somewhat of a crackberry nerd so I'm sure I can help with some standard issues
happy.gif

i love my 9700 so far EXCEPT for this SMS lock up issue...and it seems to be happening more and more

nerd.gif
hopefully theres a fix soon

Back
Top Bottom