***Official Breakfast Club Interview Thread***

I think it's one of the reasons the music industry is suffering. Envy and Yee made sense. Because you have middle aged guys signing acts. They have their friends in positions and not young kids with their ears to the streets. They don't know what these young kids want. So they go for a Bobby Shmurda, Chief Keef or Trinidad, because they have the hot song. They haven't proven they can make songs, much less an album. Back in the 80's and 90's you needed a demo of dope music, where you had to prove yourself. If you weren't ready you had to go to the drawing board and make another one. Not one song and a little internet following. Teyanna Taylor has how many instagram followers? Now how many albums did she sell? Online doesn't transfer to people buying songs or albums. Once Shakir killed himself, Def Jam went down. He was the last one who brought sustainable acts to Def Jam.

The No ID thing is interesting, because he's not a hit or club person. I'm not sure how that's going to work.

I'm shocked Def Jam didn't try and push out another Rihanna album out fourth quarter like they've been doing.

I think it's one of the reasons the music industry is suffering. Envy and Yee made sense. Because you have middle aged guys signing acts. They have their friends in positions and not young kids with their ears to the streets. They don't know what these young kids want. So they go for a Bobby Shmurda, Chief Keef or Trinidad, because they have the hot song. They haven't proven they can make songs, much less an album. Back in the 80's and 90's you needed a demo of dope music, where you had to prove yourself. If you weren't ready you had to go to the drawing board and make another one. Not one song and a little internet following. Teyanna Taylor has how many instagram followers? Now how many albums did she sell? Online doesn't transfer to people buying songs or albums. Once Shakir killed himself, Def Jam went down. He was the last one who brought sustainable acts to Def Jam.

The No ID thing is interesting, because he's not a hit or club person. I'm not sure how that's going to work.

I'm shocked Def Jam didn't try and push out another Rihanna album out fourth quarter like they've been doing.
def jam knows rihanna bout to bounce to rocnation as soon as her contract is up. They gon treat her like virgin records did janet when they figured she wouldn't be resigning with them.

Industry is dying and in the end it'll be good for the culture.

Once independence reigns supreme...hip-hop will get back to what it was.

If Cole is successful in dropping a album with no single, radio circuit tour, etc. do you think that helps or hurts the industry?

I know he's still signed, but he's basically skipping all of the steps usually associated with industry releases, if that makes sense.

Cole's fan base is super dedicated though, he's built that up in an organic way because Roc Nation didn't really put the machine behind him until after Friday Night Lights.

I don't even like Cole's music but I admire how he built his brand and got to this point.

Mac Miller did even tho it two different type of audiences they are gaining with music and subject matter

I see Cole selling around 100K and having one of the best albums of the year quality wise. It's not really gonna shake the industry up because quite frankly cats been doing this for a minute, we've seen Logic do 70K.... ON GOD i've never heard nor bumped into a logic track, feature, commercial NOTHING & he did that.

Pusha came out the gate at 75K and he wasn't exactly getting a huge push on radio and things of that nature. Artist who make great bodies of work have been eating more than artist with one big song & it's been happening for some time now.

I see Cole selling around 100K and having one of the best albums of the year quality wise. It's not really gonna shake the industry up because quite frankly cats been doing this for a minute, we've seen Logic do 70K.... ON GOD i've never heard nor bumped into a logic track, feature, commercial NOTHING & he did that.

Pusha came out the gate at 75K and he wasn't exactly getting a huge push on radio and things of that nature. Artist who make great bodies of work have been eating more than artist with one big song & it's been happening for some time now.

Cole is doing 200-250k, he did 220K first album, 290K last album, he has a super loyal and est fan base, single or not, he will do decent numbers.

roll.gif
 Cole has by far the most loyal fan bases of all the new rappers. Trust me dude will do over 100k!

He'll do closer to 300k than 100k for sure. In this internet age, No promotion is the promotion for Cole.

And I want to piggyback on what Vic said last page. Hip-Hop IMO is the leading genre as far as it's relationship with the internet and social media. You see guys like Cole, Logic, Mac, and others really showcase the potential power behind the independent wave. (Even though Logic had been quietly signed since 2012 and Cole was signed before The Warm Up even dropped) I feel as though the music business is dated with respect to Hip-Hop. It's thirst to sell music and product is counter productive. We've seen that what works in breaking acts in Hip-Hop today is the grassroots model. Not the "He has a hot song, let's sign him for that song, then put out a retail project for that act and watch him flame out"

Once you get young people really into the culture (like myself :smokin :nerd:) and who study the culture in positions of power you'll start to see the genre turn for the better. One of the biggest issues I see is that these labels are signing guys off of one song rather than seeing if he can replicate that song again and again before actually signing him. This is where the lack of Artist development departments at labels really hurt. You could sign these artist to artist development deals and see whether or not he just has a hot song, or he actually can make records. At the end of the day, our genre is about Hits and Momentum. Can generate momentum and can you make a hit? Then, can you do it again. If you can, then that's when you know something is there. Don't sign Bobby off of Hot *****, see if he can actually replicate that. Same for Trinidad.

Industry is dying and in the end it'll be good for the culture.

Once independence reigns supreme...hip-hop will get back to what it was.

I'm going to quote something I read before... "Rap/Hip-Hop is in it's 80's hair metal stage"

And I agree with that completely. The 80's had some pretty bad, over produced, over commercialized rock n roll but then grunge kicked the 90's off leading to a decade of great rock fueled by emotion and youth.

Y'all gotta understand another golden age is coming, and I believe it's coming sooner rather than later.

He'll do closer to 300k than 100k for sure. In this internet age, No promotion is the promotion for Cole.

And I want to piggyback on what Vic said last page. Hip-Hop IMO is the leading genre as far as it's relationship with the internet and social media. You see guys like Cole, Logic, Mac, and others really showcase the potential power behind the independent wave. (Even though Logic had been quietly signed since 2012 and Cole was signed before The Warm Up even dropped) I feel as though the music business is dated with respect to Hip-Hop. It's thirst to sell music and product is counter productive. We've seen that what works in breaking acts in Hip-Hop today is the grassroots model. Not the "He has a hot song, let's sign him for that song, then put out a retail project for that act and watch him flame out"

Once you get young people really into the culture (like myself :smokin :nerd:) and who study the culture in positions of power you'll start to see the genre turn for the better. One of the biggest issues I see is that these labels are signing guys off of one song rather than seeing if he can replicate that song again and again before actually signing him. This is where the lack of Artist development departments at labels really hurt. You could sign these artist to artist development deals and see whether or not he just has a hot song, or he actually can make records. At the end of the day, our genre is about Hits and Momentum. Can generate momentum and can you make a hit? Then, can you do it again. If you can, then that's when you know something is there. Don't sign Bobby off of Hot *****, see if he can actually replicate that. Same for Trinidad.

:nerd: it was obvious that both artist weren't able to duplicate the process since day one. Bobby flames out in
less than 6 more months easily.

I think another type of era is around the corner as well. Currently everybody thinks they can rap which is fine
until you reach the brutal truth. About 90% of the commercial artist your hear on the radio won't be around by
the middle of next year. It sucks because they are devaluing the music, but they will eventually be working
9-5's. As long as talented artist are getting mainstream looks and given a shot through different avenues like
the internet/social media building a buzz, I'm okay with the direction the music is headed.

Last edited:
Something i thought of this morning after I watched the Maino Hot 97 interview. A lot of people that rap and make hip hop music don't really consider themselves as a rapper. They just found a way to make money making music so that's what they are doing. Before in the 90s it was hard and a lot of work to make money doing music so you had to really have a love for it cause it was easier to just sell drugs.

Something i thought of this morning after I watched the Maino Hot 97 interview. A lot of people that rap and make hip hop music don't really consider themselves as a rapper. They just found a way to make money making music so that's what they are doing. Before in the 90s it was hard and a lot of work to make money doing music so you had to really have a love for it cause it was easier to just sell drugs.
Jay Z spoke on that during his breakfast club interview in regards to Puff's No Way Out.

The reason why Rap is oversaturated and why it seems like everybody thinks they can rap is because, well...they can.

The internet era has put a lot of power into the Hip-Hop blogs and personalities. What they post, and who they say is hot, who they say has next, etc. has a lot of power. But, with that power comes responsibility. Bottomline they cosign and push out way too many trash and for the moment rappers for the sake of being hip and being current with what's poppin' on Vine, Twitter, and insta.

Everybody thinks they than can and the **** is oversaturated because they have every right to believe it. Bobby Smhruda is not talented at all. Chief Keef is not talented at all. That drill wave from Chicago, no talent at all. Trinidad? No talent at all. Look how far this Lil B joke has went in the culture? He's doing IVY league lectures, and Complex post him everytime he drops new music. But our culture says it's hot and when all you have to do is make lazy half *** attempts at a catchy song and catch fire, **** why not? That's why everybody thinks they can rap, because the freestyle joke around raps that you kick with your homies has people like Bobby actually making money. Until our gatekeepers (These blogs, These personalities, and the rest of our culture) demand that artist start actually being artist and making RAP MUSIC (not finding a beat and throwing some words together that rhyme, no matter how ridiculous it sounds) then rap will remain where it's at. I know that there are artist people don't like in other genres, but you can be pretty sure they are at least of quality. In no other genre will you find people actually popular for being terrible at what they are doing. (See Chief Keef, Lil B, Trinidad)

Music is subjective to a degree. Not everyone is going to "like" everything, but I feel as though that if it's your job to evaluate music, you should be able to identify if an artist is actually of quality and whether or not the music has anything of value.

Last edited:
The reason why Rap is oversaturated and why it seems like everybody thinks they can rap is because, well...they can.

The internet era has put a lot of power into the Hip-Hop blogs and personalities. What they post, and who they say is hot, who they say has next, etc. has a lot of power. But, with that power comes responsibility. Bottomline they cosign and push out way too many trash and for the moment rappers for the sake of being hip and being current with what's poppin' on Vine, Twitter, and insta.

Everybody thinks they than can and the **** is oversaturated because they have every right to believe it. Bobby Smhruda is not talented at all. Chief Keef is not talented at all. That drill wave from Chicago, no talent at all. Trinidad? No talent at all. Look how far this Lil B joke has went in the culture? He's doing IVY league lectures, and Complex post him everytime he drops new music. But our culture says it's hot and when all you have to do is make lazy half *** attempts at a catchy song and catch fire, **** why not? That's why everybody thinks they can rap, because the freestyle joke around raps that you kick with your homies has people like Bobby actually making money. Until our gatekeepers (These blogs, These personalities, and the rest of our culture) demand that artist start actually being artist and making RAP MUSIC (not finding a beat and throwing some words together that rhyme, no matter how ridiculous it sounds) then rap will remain where it's at. I know that there are artist people don't like in other genres, but you can be pretty sure they are at least of quality. In no other genre will you find people actually popular for being terrible at what they are doing. (See Chief Keef, Lil B, Trinidad)

Music is subjective to a degree. Not everyone is going to "like" everything, but I feel as though that if it's your job to evaluate music, you should be able to identify if an artist is actually of quality and whether or not the music has anything of value.
Smhurda and Keef are government assigned youth leaders promoted to make youths aspire to be dumb goonish and live and spit destruction to each other and keep youth brain washed on not building their own legit economy.. Its hard to find any songs by chief keef that i can understand let alone like.. its just BAING BAING BAING.. Autotune..Slow ******ed reading chants soudning like a machine.. and Smurda.. same thing.. they dont mature as they get older they just keep doing the same thing over and over again and it gets worse.. Soulja Boy.. same thing.. i actually liked the crank that soulja boy because he wasnt trying to be serious or rap about stuff he didnt know about.

Smhurda and Keef are government assigned youth leaders promoted to make youths aspire to be dumb goonish and live and spit destruction to each other and keep youth brain washed on not building their own legit economy.. Its hard to find any songs by chief keef that i can understand let alone like.. its just BAING BAING BAING.. Autotune..Slow ******ed reading chants soudning like a machine.. and Smurda.. same thing.. they dont mature as they get older they just keep doing the same thing over and over again and it gets worse.. Soulja Boy.. same thing.. i actually liked the crank that soulja boy because he wasnt trying to be serious or rap about stuff he didnt know about.

Back
Top Bottom