Official Chicago Bulls Offseason Thread

0612-dwight-howard-608.jpg

Dwight Howard says he's not happy with the collective personality of Orlando's roster.

Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images

[h1]Howard: I want to stay, but I'm still becoming a free agent[/h1]
By Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com
Posted Jun 13 2011 9:23AM

TREVISO, Italy -- Dwight Howard reaffirmed his desire to stay with the Magic, but told NBA.com on Monday that he will definitely become a free agent rather than sign an extension in the next year and also left open the possibility he would reconsider his future in Orlando if the team does not win the title next season.

Speaking during a break at the adidas Eurocamp as part of a tour of the continent for the shoe company, Howard joked with reporters at a news conference and appeared in good spirits.

In a one-on-one interview afterward, though, he made it clear he is not happy with the collective personality of Orlando's roster and that changes need to be made. The same message, he said, was delivered to owner Rich DeVos and CEO Bob Vander Weide in a meeting last week that included Howard sharing thoughts on everything from personnel to fan involvement and arena atmosphere at home games.

Your browser does not support iframes.

"I want to win a championship," the All-Star center said. "I think the owners have to really know that. That's been my goal and my mission since I've been in the NBA -- to win a championship. I don't have side goals or agendas. My main goal is to win a championship. I want to have 14 other guys who feel the same way."

Asked if the Magic have that now, he said, "It's off and on. Sometimes guys are there whole-heartedly and then sometimes I've had teammates allow people getting in their ears and things like that effect the way that they play and approach the game."

Howard said he did not tell DeVos and Vander Weide specific roster moves he wanted to see.

"I just told them, 'We've got to have guys who are going to play hard 48 minutes and who are going to battle the other team, who are going to fight night in and night out for a championship,' " he said.

The topic would be pressing enough with a large payroll and a first-round playoff loss. Management cannot be happy, either, with the early exit two years after winning the Eastern Conference crown. That the face of the franchise is expected to opt out of the final season of his contract and become a free agent in summer 2012 makes the alarm sound even louder.

The Magic have a two-year extension on the table, the longest deal they can offer under the Collective Bargaining Agreement that expires June 30. Howard made it clear Monday, though, that he will become a free agent and not sign an extension.

"There's no other place I'd rather be besides Orlando," he said. "As of right now, that's my home. I just want to stay in Orlando as long as I can.

"That's the truth. I don't have to keep things calm or anything. This is how I really feel in my heart. A lot of people want to see me go other places, but I want to stay in Orlando. I have a beautiful home there. There are beautiful people down there. My son is in Orlando. He's getting a lot older and I want to be there to see as many moments as I can of his life."

And if the Magic do not win the 2012 championship and the personality of the roster stays the same?

"Then things have to change," Howard told NBA.com.

Including your address?

"At the end of the day, as far as what I want to accomplish as a basketball player, to be one of the greats, you have to win championships," he said. "That's how I see it. I want to do that in Orlando, and hopefully we can get it done.... Everybody's asking me from the beginning of the season until today where am I playing in a year? Am I getting traded? I have no clue. As of right now, I want to be in Orlando."

Scott Howard-Cooper has covered the NBA since 1988. You can e-mail him here and follow him on twitter.

The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/13/dwight-howard-free-agency-future/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Originally Posted by illmatic34

Originally Posted by Remi23

I do not want Monta him and Rose are basically the same player.

Wade and LeBron are basically the same player, looked how that turned out for them. 
Except Wade and LeBron are 6'6 and not 6'3 big difference there.

Have no idea/clue why Vegas has the Bulls winning a championship before the Mavs. I'm sorry but your team is really not that great, you need a huge piece to get yourself past the Heat. Bulls remind me of the Cavs with LeBron but worse.

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Have no idea/clue why Vegas has the Bulls winning a championship before the Mavs. I'm sorry but your team is really not that great, you need a huge piece to get yourself past the Heat. Bulls remind me of the Cavs with LeBron but worse.

Cool Story Bro.

@Cake I'd rather give up Asik instead of Taj, but I'm sure most teams covet Taj over Asik so we'd have to be willing to give him up.

And to the knicks fan up there, we have better D, and Noah/Deng/Boozer are all better than the 2nd best player on any of the Cavs teams lebron played with...have fun being in the middle of the East for years to come.

Oh I'm with you I'd package and move the two of them with picks in a heartbeat... I actually meant to type Asik but fouled it up.

If they were willing to make that move... you do it and don't think twice because you just pulled the OJ & got away with 1st degree.
laugh.gif

I like Afflalo to the Bulls the best out of all of them. He plays D and he can knock down shots on the offensive end. If Dwight was to come to the Bulls, I would give up boozer and asik but like someone said before, Taj would be on everyones list. If we cant get Afflalo, then I guess i would pick up JR smith but hes a little iffy to me

worry about your soft *$! team learning how to play defense

we'll worry about us

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

worry about your soft *$! team learning how to play defense

we'll worry about us
my soft $#% team is YOUR soft #$% team
laugh.gif
. You guys cant handle a little criticism, jesus, so salty. I'm in the NYK thread throwing shots at everyone on our squad because at the end of the day I'm a realist. It's not to hard to figure it out.

AiRjOrDaN1217 wrote:
I like Afflalo to the Bulls the best out of all of them. He plays D and he can knock down shots on the offensive end. If Dwight was to come to the Bulls, I would give up boozer and asik but like someone said before, Taj would be on everyones list. If we cant get Afflalo, then I guess i would pick up JR smith but hes a little iffy to me

I've always loved Aaron, going back to his UCLA days, but he doesn't give us the one thing we need from that position: The ability to manufacture his own shot.  Thats one of our biggest deficiencies, the fact that the only person who can create a shot for themselves on a consistent basis is Pooh. Aaron doesn't do that while JR can get his own shot whenever he wants to and has the ability to play defense which I believe Thibs can tap into... He is a nut though... CERTIFIABLE EVEN.
roll.gif
But he's probably the best fit for what we need.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

AiRjOrDaN1217 wrote:

I've always loved Aaron, going back to his UCLA days, but he doesn't give us the one thing we need from that position: The ability to manufacture his own shot.  Thats one of our biggest deficiencies, the fact that the only person who can create a shot for themselves on a consistent basis is Pooh. Aaron doesn't do that while JR can get his own shot whenever he wants to and has the ability to play defense which I believe Thibs can tap into... He is a nut though... CERTIFIABLE EVEN.
roll.gif
JR has a good goon x lunatic combo going. We need someone like that to !$%% with Lebron's head I think. *looks @ Deshawn*

He also balances Pooh, who's on the total opposite mentally.
laugh.gif
He should bring that much more intensity to the team.

Originally Posted by DUB 253

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

AiRjOrDaN1217 wrote:

roll.gif
JR has a good goon x lunatic combo going. We need someone like that to !$%% with Lebron's head I think. *looks @ Deshawn*

He also balances Pooh, who's on the total opposite mentally.
laugh.gif
He should bring that much more intensity to the team.

#TEAMJRSMITH!!!!!!

I posted this in the playoffs thread, here's my take:

For one guys orlando is not going to take boozer unless we're getting arenas in return, which i'd probably still do, but if and when we do trade for D12 the deal would probably be more along the lines of--

Noah, deng, gibson, maybe asik and draft picks which we have a lot of for--
D12, turk, and maybe reddick or some other piece--

What people don't understand is if they trade him, they also have to deal with the PR that comes with it, so they're going to want a denver nuggets type deal where they'll be ok, to trade him to the lakers for a young center with chronic knee problems and LO would be the worse worst PR move they could make especially considering they would be trading him to the team they lost shaq to, I don't see that happening.

The nets could give them lopez, but what else? They're going to want more than one guy, and the Nets gave up their tradeable pieces and picks for Dwill, and its unknown if Dwill even wants to stay there, rumor is he wants to play for the knicks, and if d12 doesn't want to play 2nd fiddle he'll be on a 2nd fiddle team whether they move to ny or not, that area is all about the knicks.

The knicks simply don't have the pieces, but it won't matter amare, and d12 aren't compliments anyway, besides chris paul will probably stay true to what he told melo at his wedding since they're bff's he'll keep his word, if not they steal dwill

The mavs are going to keep their team becuz they feel they can repeat and they have depth, if they lost to miami I could see them trying to get d12.

Clippers don't have anything, they're not giving up gordon or bg and bg and d12 aren't compliments, maybe if they kept that pick

Honestly, we have the best chips to get D12, a good young center who played well until the injured thumb, and who also played at florida so that works from a PR stand point, Deng is a good SF, who is a good defender which svg wil love.
Gibson is good rebounder and defender with starter potential he'll only improve and we have a bunch of picks to give, so it works and drose is selfess enough where I don't think there will be chemistry or personality problems
And if he doesn't want to come to Chicago because it's too cold, then he doesn't want to win as much as he claims and he's a bigger ({}) then the hometown spy

Originally Posted by SnapNPop

I posted this in the playoffs thread, here's my take:

For one guys orlando is not going to take boozer unless we're getting arenas in return, which i'd probably still do, but if and when we do trade for D12 the deal would probably be more along the lines of--

Noah, deng, gibson, maybe asik and draft picks which we have a lot of for--
D12, turk, and maybe reddick or some other piece--

What people don't understand is if they trade him, they also have to deal with the PR that comes with it, so they're going to want a denver nuggets type deal where they'll be ok, to trade him to the lakers for a young center with chronic knee problems and LO would be the worse worst PR move they could make especially considering they would be trading him to the team they lost shaq to, I don't see that happening.

The nets could give them lopez, but what else? They're going to want more than one guy, and the Nets gave up their tradeable pieces and picks for Dwill, and its unknown if Dwill even wants to stay there, rumor is he wants to play for the knicks, and if d12 doesn't want to play 2nd fiddle he'll be on a 2nd fiddle team whether they move to ny or not, that area is all about the knicks.

The knicks simply don't have the pieces, but it won't matter amare, and d12 aren't compliments anyway, besides chris paul will probably stay true to what he told melo at his wedding since they're bff's he'll keep his word, if not they steal dwill

The mavs are going to keep their team becuz they feel they can repeat and they have depth, if they lost to miami I could see them trying to get d12.

Clippers don't have anything, they're not giving up gordon or bg and bg and d12 aren't compliments, maybe if they kept that pick

Honestly, we have the best chips to get D12, a good young center who played well until the injured thumb, and who also played at florida so that works from a PR stand point, Deng is a good SF, who is a good defender which svg wil love.
Gibson is good rebounder and defender with starter potential he'll only improve and we have a bunch of picks to give, so it works and drose is selfess enough where I don't think there will be chemistry or personality problems
And if he doesn't want to come to Chicago because it's too cold, then he doesn't want to win as much as he claims and he's a bigger ({}) then the hometown spy

ehhhh... Iono about a bigger ({}) just for the fact that he was raised here and went to college in Mil... He's been cold as hell for the 23yrs before S. Beach. 

Dwight would be a ({}) though even though he's been in the south his entire life
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom