Official Chicago Bulls Offseason Thread

I didn't watch much of Golden State this year but the few games I did see Ellis would seem drop 30 with ease, but they would still lose.
I didn't pay much attention to his defense though. Does he have any defense at all? That's pretty much the makeup of this team

Originally Posted by omgitswes

I didn't watch much of Golden State this year but the few games I did see Ellis would seem drop 30 with ease, but they would still lose.
I didn't pay much attention to his defense though. Does he have any defense at all? That's pretty much the makeup of this team
Ellis is an undersized guard and his defense has always been a question, but I think when ever he wants to, he can play defense. It's just that he's so focused on scoring that he doesn't put much though on the other end of the floor. But I'm sure with your team defensive scheme the rest of the players can make up for ellis deficiency in that department.

What about this trade?
[h3]Monta Ellis Trade Rumors: Joe Lacob Mum About Rumors[/h3]
With Monta Ellis trade rumors linking him to almost every playoff contending team in the NBA, Warriors owner Joe Lacob tells San Jose Mercury’s Tim Kawakami that what the press is reporting is far from the truth:
LACOB: I don’t think he will be. I mean, you want me to give odds now? There’s a tremendous amount of speculation in the press, and I can’t believe where all this is coming from… because the stories are completely fabricated, by you or whoever. I don’t know who’s fabricating them.

They’re fabrications, complete and utter. All these teams that supposedly have talked to us. It’s not true. It’s just not true.

We all really like Monta Ellis a lot. We think he’s a great player. The question will be, like with every other player on the team–is there someone we think makes more sense, that could be better, make us a better team?

Smart move by Lacob to step in and do some damage control on, probably, the hottest trade rumor out there right now. The Warriors have done a “great

Nah... I'm not with that... Not killing our front court depth for a undersized scorer, as talented as he is.

Sorry

Sorry don't mean to flood you guys with all these articles
laugh.gif
This is the last one I promise.
Who Will Be Chicago's New Shooter?

spacer.gif

By:Joel Brigham  Last Updated: 6/12/11 10:10 PM ET | 4680 times read

Adjust font size:

Here's what isn't in question: the Chicago Bulls need an upgrade at the two guard position. Nothing against Keith Bogans, Kyle Korver, and/or Ronnie Brewer, but not a single one of those guys is a player you'd expect to be the starting shooting guard on a championship team.

What is in question is what player would fit best with this team, and also what player Chicago can most realistically acquire. There are a few free agents on this list, but the Bulls don't have any cap space, and who knows if the sign-and-trade option will be a possibility under the new CBA? The rest of the guys are already under contract, so Chicago will have to work out a deal to bring them in.

They've got some tradable assets, but not many. Taj Gibson and Omer Asik both make under $2 million next season and have considerable upside, and the team does hold what could eventually be a lottery pick from the Tyrus Thomas trade with Charlotte. It's lottery protected in 2012, but loses more and more protection each year for four years. Charlotte projects to fall short of the postseason for the foreseeable future, so that could be something they toss into a deal, but beyond that pick, Asik, and Gibson, what does Chicago have that other teams would really want?

That's the question at hand, and as we look at a handful of potential two guards today, we'll also explore what the team would have to do (or could do) in order to bring in that particular player. One way or another, though, the Bulls have some work to get done. Here are a few suggestions as to what that work should entail.

Monta Ellis, Golden State WarriorsI discussed Ellis in length in yesterday's NBA Sunday, but the gist is that if the Warriors really want Luol Deng as reported, a deal isn't going to get done here. Trading Deng for Ellis depletes Chicago at the three just as badly as they're currently depleted at the two. Ellis is the hot name right now, but unless a third team gets involved, it doesn't seem particularly likely.

Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons – There is nothing better that could happen to the Chicago Bulls than to have Detroit buy out the last two years and $25+ million of Hamilton's contract, but the likelihood of that still remains pretty negligible. Pistons' GM Joe Dumars has been very loyal to Hamilton, and it would seem likely he would rather give a new head coach a go with that overloaded backcourt before doing something as drastic as paying $25 million for a guy to start for a division rival.

But what about a trade? Back in 2009, before Detroit blew all their free agent money on Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva, that cash seemed earmarked for Carlos Boozer, who surprisingly picked up his player option for one more year in Utah. 

So there was interest in Boozer once upon a time, and some sort of trade focused on Boozer-for-Hamilton wouldn't be the most ridiculous proposition. Chicago has Taj Gibson capable of starting at four, and Rip puts them into immediate contention. For Detroit, they clear up their backcourt and bring a healed Jonas Jerebko (likely restricted free agent) off the bench behind Boozer at the power forward. 

Arron Afflalo, Denver Nuggets – Afflalo, a restricted free agent, might not be the sexiest name on the list, but he's absolutely an upgrade over Bogans and Korver and would fit Chicago's system nicely. He started all 69 games he played for Denver last year and averaged a career-high 12.6 ppg. He shoots the ball well from three-point range (41% career), plays defense, and is young enough to remain a key piece of the Bulls' core for several years.

His restricted free agency is a roadblock, for certain, because many experts would agree Denver would be crazy to let him walk. However, it's eventually going to come down to Afflalo or fellow free agent J. R. Smith; the Nuggets simply don't have the money to pay both. Should the team opt to stick with Smith, or even go in a different direction at the two, Afflalo could become available. Without any free agency money to spend, however, the Bulls would have to get creative in creating some cap space to make Afflalo happen for them.

For the record, few players would be a better fit. He's a perfect combination of offense, defense, experience, and potential, and he reputation is such that he'd fit well in a Tom Thibodeau system. If only he were a free agent a year ago.

Kevin Martin, Houston Rockets – As far as I can tell, Houston isn't averse to trading Martin, but they feel like he's their best player (or at least pretty close—Scola is pretty good, too), which means they're going to want marquee talent in return for him. They're not going to get that from Chicago, who seems bent on adding a high-quality two without moving any of their other starters. There absolutely is interest in Omer Asik (there was talk of a Courtney Lee-for-Asik deal last season), but going from Courtney Lee to Kevin Martin for the Turkish center is a big step. I'm not sure Houston would have much interest for what Chicago would throw out there.

Stephen Jackson, Charlotte Bobcats – Jackson might have a bit of a rap sheet, but he works his butt off, brings toughness to his team, and scores the heck out of the ball. There's no way he's looking forward to another season in Charlotte, which as we've already discussed seems like a team headed for perennial mediocrity, and being given the opportunity to spend his last handful of productive years for a competitor like Chicago could be the best thing possible for his career.

Unfortunately, Jackson is just about the only thing Charlotte's got going for them right now, which means they're probably going to be a little reticent to ship him out, at least not without returning something seriously valuable in return. Yes, he'd add a whole new dimension to the Chicago Bulls, but one has to think Charlotte would want more out of him than they got out of Gerald Wallace.

Or, they won't, and for the right combination of picks (like, maybe getting their own pick back?), young talent (Asik?) and expiring contracts (Bogans is pretty much it) would get something done. It's hard to tell with Charlotte, but there's no denying Jackson could be an interesting piece for Chicago, if something were able to get done.

DeMar DeRozan, Toronto Raptors – Nobody on the Raptors' roster is safe from trade talk, and DeRozan may be one of the most desirable trading chips that they've got. Not a lot has gone well for Toronto over the course of the last year, so the amount of risks GM Bryan Colangelo takes are going to be minimal. He's got to be looking at the surest moves possible, and I'm not sure Chicago has many sure-thing offers to make them for the up-and-coming DeRozan.

Jamal Crawford, Atlanta Hawks – Once upon a time, Jamal Crawford started his career as a Chicago Bull, but at the time they were force-feeding him the point guard role, which clearly wasn't for him. Now, he's a veteran scorer—one of the best in the league—and just about exactly what Chicago needs to make a serious run at a championship.

The problem is Crawford's unrestricted free agency, and if what he asks for is anything like what he asked for via extension last year, he'll be looking for a contract in the $10 million-a-year range. We've already established how little money the Bulls have to spend in free agency, so to think that they could blow that much is borderline ludicrous. It'd be great to see Crawford come back to where he started his career, but it's about as far from realistic as any player on this list.

O.J. Mayo, Memphis Grizzlies – Had Memphis not had the postseason they did, they might have been more inclined to make some changes in the offseason, but their mentality has to be, "We got that far without Rudy Gay—how good can we be with him?" Not that Mayo was necessarily a huge reason that Memphis won their first playoff series this year, just that they're less likely to trade him now than they were at the deadline, when they almost shipped him to Indiana straight up for Josh McRoberts.

Depending on what happens with Marc Gasol's free agency, however, they may find themselves in the market for some depth at center, and Omer Asik would be precisely that. Without question he's at least a better prospect than McRoberts, and with the addition of Bogans's expiring deal and a draft pick, it might not be the worst thing the Grizzlies could do. The one thing we can count on is they'll be looking for more for Mayo now than they were back in February.

This list of players is the best Chicago can expect to do, unless there's a huge change in philosophy for some team that suddenly decides to peddle an All-Star shooting guard for forty cents on the dollar.

Short of that happening, however, the Bulls will need to look long and hard at this list and start making some phone calls to see what they can do. Chicago must upgrade at shooting guard. They have to. It's just a matter of who they go after, and what they give up to get him.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20103#ixzz1PBcNhxh2

Dream choice is Monta Ellis
Most logical choice is Arron Afflalo

You guys have a lot of options, I mean every player want to be on a team that young talented and successful
laugh.gif

We can not lose deng in no deal dude balled out his mind on both ends

And we can't lose our front line Depth unless we getting back d12 not a SG

I don't get the irrational love for deng. I still remember that bulls thread where most bulls fans were like "kobe for deng? hell nah." The trade scenario was not realistic but still...

Dude's were calling 2007 Kobe washed up and a quitter
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I like the sound of Ellis, Affalo, Hamilton or Martin.

I don't want to give up Deng or Taj, but I wouldn't mind parting ways with Booz or Asik.

Originally Posted by knightngale

I don't get the irrational love for deng. I still remember that bulls thread where most bulls fans were like "kobe for deng? hell nah." The trade scenario was not realistic but still...

Dude's were calling 2007 Kobe washed up and a quitter
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Kobe wanted to play with Deng though.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

JR Smith has to be the primary focus...

Pros
Age 25
Great Size at 6' 6" 220
Athleticism is through the roof
Shooter
Creates his own shot at that
Can Play Defense against bigger 2's
Has played with a superstar well while not attempting to steal the show
Use to playing 18 to 20 mins taking 10-13 shots so he doesn't have that I want to be the man complex

Cons
He's A Nut Case

I'll Allow It!
laugh.gif

While I'm incredibly leery of signing JR, I do think his attitude may pump up the team when needed. At the same time, give dude a incentive laced contract and I bet he'd keep his head on straight ...

Originally Posted by Remi23

I do not want Monta him and Rose are basically the same player.
this. If we have to go against Melo, Pierce and Bron in the upcoming years im not giving up Deng.

probably has been discussed before but there has been recent talk most notably PTI as Chi as one of the top options for Howard since he supposedly is going to become free agent and the lakers arent interested. How do you all feel about acquiring him. Who would we have to give up. Id definitely be willing to give up Boozer but a straight up trade is out of the question.

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

probably has been discussed before but there has been recent talk most notably PTI as Chi as one of the top options for Howard since he supposedly is going to become free agent and the lakers arent interested. How do you all feel about acquiring him. Who would we have to give up. Id definitely be willing to give up Boozer but a straight up trade is out of the question.
It would make sense for Howard to want to come to our team considering we'd then have the best center and arguably the best PG in the league on the same squad. And if we're going to play Miami for years to come, Dwight would have a field day matching up against their front court. Of course, there are problems that arise in matching salaries/losing depth/Dwight wanting to come here/ORL actually favoring whatever deal we offer over other teams. If the time comes where ORL does, in fact, start listening to offers...I'm sure we'll throw something at them, but it has to make sense for our team. It'd be SICK to have him in a Bulls uni, we'll see what happens.
As for our #2 spot conundrum, I think my personal preference is Arron Afflalo. He's young, athletic, plays great D, has good character (would gel well with our current roster) and continues to show signs of improvement after 3 years in the league. Problem, of course, is he's a restricted FA and we'd need to be able to pay him. Without knowing what will happen with the new CBA, it's tough to comment on who is realistically available for our team but it does seem like we have a ton of options.

We'll see what happens, but let's hope for a successful off-season 
happy.gif

@cornzilla, keep posting those articles, they're great reads!

Originally Posted by Remi23

I do not want Monta him and Rose are basically the same player.

Wade and LeBron are basically the same player, looked how that turned out for them. 

@arstyle27 We can dream lol.

O and as for a potential trade framework to get Dwight, I see it being some sort of package of two of our bigs + picks. Boozer/Taj + picks, for example.
Another problem in trading for Dwight, and this applies to all teams wanting him, is ORL may want to tack on Hedo's or Gilbert's atrocious contracts...which is a whole other riddle to solve as to how anyone could take on Dwight's + one of those monster contracts.

Originally Posted by Juice2352

@arstyle27 We can dream lol.

O and as for a potential trade framework to get Dwight, I see it being some sort of package of two of our bigs + picks. Boozer/Taj + picks, for example.
Another problem in trading for Dwight, and this applies to all teams wanting him, is ORL may want to tack on Hedo's or Gilbert's atrocious contracts...which is a whole other riddle to solve as to how anyone could take on Dwight's + one of those monster contracts.

Yea someone's going to take the bait... hopefully if we are involved we can package him to a 3rd team 
laugh.gif

Honestly if we were doing a package deal i'd rather do Boozer & Asik than give up Taj... he's more offensively talented while still being a good defender.

@juice2352 I post the articles as I find them, just trying to contribute.

I'm sure the Howard deal is very likely:

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Howard Reiterates Desire To Stay In Orlando, Says He'll Opt Out After Next Season[/h3]
Jun 13, 2011 3:35 PM EDT

Dwight Howard made it clear he is not happy with the collective personality of Orlando's roster and that changes need to be made. The same message, he said, was delivered to owner Rich DeVos and CEO Bob Vander Weide in a meeting last week that included Howard sharing thoughts on everything from personnel to fan involvement and arena atmosphere at home games.

"I want to win a championship," the All-Star center said. "I think the owners have to really know that. That's been my goal and my mission since I've been in the NBA -- to win a championship. I don't have side goals or agendas. My main goal is to win a championship. I want to have 14 other guys who feel the same way."

Asked if the Magic have that now, he said, "It's off and on. Sometimes guys are there whole-heartedly and then sometimes I've had teammates allow people getting in their ears and things like that effect the way that they play and approach the game."

Howard said he did not tell DeVos and Vander Weide specific roster moves he wanted to see.

"I just told them, 'We've got to have guys who are going to play hard 48 minutes and who are going to battle the other team, who are going to fight night in and night out for a championship,' " he said.

The Magic have a two-year extension on the table, the longest deal they can offer under the Collective Bargaining Agreement that expires June 30. Howard made it clear Monday, though, that he will become a free agent and not sign an extension.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta..._Hell_Opt_Out_After_Next_Season#ixzz1PGmTR3xi
After reading that he doesn't seem 100% committed to Orl, he just reiterates that he wants to win a championship and that he will dedicate himself as long as he is undercontract. But for him to say that he will opt out next season isn't a good indicator of what to expect. I mean if he wanted to stay he would have sign the extension already.

His two best option I think would be to join the Bulls or the Nets. I don't really know what's going to happen to CP3 so most likely Howard won't go to the Hornets. It would take alot from you guys to get Howard on the squad. You might have to give up some key players, such as Boozer, Gibson or maybe even Noah and you would have to take on one of Orl monster contracts. If it were between Hedo and Gil, I would take Gil only because Hedo plays the same role as Korver.

The Nets on the other hand can gut their entire roster beside D.Williams to get Howard.
laugh.gif

I was just getting ready to post that
laugh.gif

I'd do Gibson/Boozer Draft picks in a heart beat... As far as Hedo's contract... that's some ugly !#+! right there. Really Ugly
sick.gif
:smh:

Back
Top Bottom