OFFICIAL COMIC BOOK THREAD

:lol: I knew eventually somebody would bring that controversy over here once variants started getting posted.

**** seems so forced to me. I mean are yall seriously saying because Marvel currently doesn't have any black writers (keep in mind yall specifically want to bring up writers when the topic was covers) to your knowledge they can't pay homage to hip hop with some hip hop covers? Good luck with that. You would think Marvel editorial was filled with nothing but 50+ yr old white guys completely out of touch just trying to make some money off black culture.

If Marvel had never had any black writers ever I could see some real beef over this or if they were getting nothing but white artists to do this and not reaching out to new and old black artists they've worked with in the past to do these covers then I can see the outrage but that's not the case.

To me these are two different issues. Yes Marvel needs more black writers consistently working for them but to say because they apparently don't now they can't do hip hop covers is ridiculous. We gonna base the amount of hip hop covers they can commission off of how many black writers they hire? All the arguments I've seen that went the extra mile to play off these variant covers seem to be confusing appreciation with appropriation.

:lol: I knew eventually somebody would bring that controversy over here once variants started getting posted.

**** seems so forced to me. I mean are yall seriously saying because Marvel currently doesn't have any black writers (keep in mind yall specifically want to bring up writers when the topic was covers) to your knowledge they can't pay homage to hip hop with some hip hop covers? Good luck with that. You would think Marvel editorial was filled with nothing but 50+ yr old white guys completely out of touch just trying to make some money off black culture.

If Marvel had never had any black writers ever I could see some real beef over this or if they were getting nothing but white artists to do this and not reaching out to new and old black artists they've worked with in the past to do these covers then I can see the outrage but that's not the case.

To me these are two different issues. Yes Marvel needs more black writers consistently working for them but to say because they apparently don't now they can't do hip hop covers is ridiculous. We gonna base the amount of hip hop covers they can commission off of how many black writers they hire? All the arguments I've seen that went the extra mile to play off these variant covers seem to be confusing appreciation with appropriation.

They can do it if they want and I'm allowed to think it's corny. Luckily for them my opinion doesn't matter.

I'm talking purely about my own feelings and to me it's hard to take any pleasure from covers given marvel and the comic industries lack of black voices and faces.

but thats me.

They can do it if they want and I'm allowed to think it's corny. Luckily for them my opinion doesn't matter.

I'm talking purely about my own feelings and to me it's hard to take any pleasure from covers given marvel and the comic industries lack of black voices and faces.

but thats me.

I mean I see where your coming from. but hip hop culture has been a huge part of American Culture for a long time.

Plus I doubt they're going to make any kind of real money from this, small spike

I feel like since Dwayne McDuffie died I don't see anyone else out here but they want me to lap up some hiphop covers?

Not passing judgment on anyone else here but Like I said me personally I can't get with that.

I feel like since Dwayne McDuffie died I don't see anyone else out here but they want me to lap up some hiphop covers?

Not passing judgment on anyone else here but Like I said me personally I can't get with that.
Somewhat feel you on this but these covers man
laugh.gif
you gotta cop

Last edited:
Can I just get a book that has all those covers??? Not trying to cop 50 comics that I probably won't read.

Can I just get a book that has all those covers??? Not trying to cop 50 comics that I probably won't read.

there more than likely will be a book with all the covers. or may be able to get the high res pics from marvels site (or any other)

but thats me.
I guess for you guys it'll never not be corny.

It's cool as **** to me.

The comic industry isn't lacking in black voices. Just lacking in prominent black voices. They (creators and young creators on their way) always show up for the conventions in Harlem and BK but I'd say about half of them are straight up choosing to do it in a way where you won't know who they are cuz they refuse to work at Marvel, DC, Image, etc. as in not even considering sending in their work to editors or socializing at conventions to get tapped to work at the companies. Mostly due to how they view the entire business of comics.

there more than likely will be a book with all the covers. or may be able to get the high res pics from marvels site (or any other)
There probably will be a book just like there was a book of Skottie Young covers but don't expect it any time soon. The earliest would be next year this time.

That's just the business sense of it. They're not gonna offer the variants when you can wait a short time to get all of them in one place. They want you to buy the comic and possibly want to get more of it.

Last edited:
Theres a skottie young cover book????? And i got all those books collected for me for no reason haha

Any aspiring writers or artists on NT?

I hope to write a limited series at some point in my life. I've thought about doing a simple weekly strip or something, but unfortunately I can't draw a straight line with a ruler...

Any aspiring writers or artists on NT?

I hope to write a limited series at some point in my life. I've thought about doing a simple weekly strip or something, but unfortunately I can't draw a straight line with a ruler...

I ran in to this problem. Deviant art helped.

Not sure I'm liking what I'm seeing in the previews about the future of the Marvel Universe post Secret Wars. I get it you have to change things up every once in a while but it seems wayyyy to different for me. Almost like the Ultimate Universe is now the regular universe. Of course I'll give it a chance but I'm already skeptical .

Not sure I'm liking what I'm seeing in the previews about the future of the Marvel Universe post Secret Wars. I get it you have to change things up every once in a while but it seems wayyyy to different for me. Almost like the Ultimate Universe is now the regular universe. Of course I'll give it a chance but I'm already skeptical .

To be honest I felt the same way... But last week wen I hit the comic book store I said f it and told them to put me on the pull list for everything... I'll read what I like and collect the rest

A lot of aspects of the Ultimate universe that made it unique and appealing originally have been seeping their way into 616 for a while now. It's one of many reason they thought the Ultimate universe wasn't really needed anymore. Maybe 10 years from now they can do another imprint like that where people can do new and unique spins on things again.

the only one im not a fan is the G.O.O.D Music/Spider-Man 2099 maybe they did spidey all white/or a softer light blue closer to the album cover i think it would look dope

A lot of aspects of the Ultimate universe that made it unique and appealing originally have been seeping their way into 616 for a while now. It's one of many reason they thought the Ultimate universe wasn't really needed anymore. Maybe 10 years from now they can do another imprint like that where people can do new and unique spins on things again.

I think Marvel is trying to cater to the movie fan rather than the comic fan. Movie fans don't necessarily buy comics but marvel wants their $ as well. By making these moves (like bringing in the black nick fury) makes it easier for the common fan to say oh i know that guy.... i

but still i don't know... i just think they are trying to hard to shake things up. Old Man Logan is a good story on its on but that doesn't necessarily mean i wanna see that character as part of the regular Xmen team going forward. X-23 as Wolverine.... nah ..just give me back my original Wolverine. Same goes with Cap, Thor etc. We just got an Amazing Spiderman #1 last year and now we're getting another one :\

I just look at this line up posted here and I see sooooo many future cancelled titles

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/1/887...ially-reveals-45-titles-that-will-start-after

Back
Top Bottom