OFFICIAL DISNEY+ STREAMING THREAD we're in the endgame now

I never play the race card but I couldn't help but to think there was something implied by making Joe do feminine for half of the film. Literally having the soul of a woman. I kinda think it had something to do with acknowledging transgender individuals.

Soul was good. Very captivating. The animations were amazing, the texture in Joe's hair after the cut was crazy. I think it could've ended better though. I would've liked to know what 22 became.

was thinking that also. Like why’d they leave that open.

I never play the race card but I couldn't help but to think there was something implied by making Joe do feminine for half of the film. Literally having the soul of a woman. I kinda think it had something to do with acknowledging transgender individuals.

I don’t think there was a transgender angle. A soul is gender less. Remember when he asked why she sounds like a white woman? And it changed its voice to whatever. I took 22 as more of a child experiencing new things. Newborns or kids at a young age don’t experience things in a feminine or masculine way... it comes with time experience and observations.

I read about this movie about a year or so ago so was really looking forward to it. Definitely have me a different perspective on life. My husband and I had a great conversation about it and our lives afterwards.

was thinking that also. Like why’d they leave that open.

I don’t think there was a transgender angle. A soul is gender less. Remember when he asked why she sounds like a white woman? And it changed its voice to whatever. I took 22 as more of a child experiencing new things. Newborns or kids at a young age don’t experience things in a feminine or masculine way... it comes with time experience and observations.

I read about this movie about a year or so ago so was really looking forward to it. Definitely have me a different perspective on life. My husband and I had a great conversation about it and our lives afterwards.
Yes, 22 could've taken on any "personality" but it kept that middle aged woman style and used it in Joe's body. It was funny at first but when I saw that they stuck with it, I wasn't feeling that. I think it was taking the transgender angle bc a lot of them feel like "they were born in the wrong body" and it seemed like soul was somewhat giving a nod to that, even though I know he wasn't born with that particular soul.
All I'm saying is the first black lead character acting like a woman for over half the movie is not a coincidence.

Yeah I don’t know about a transgender angle, but I get the criticism/optics of a white woman speaking through Joe’s body to the audience. Probably the only thing I would’ve changed was to make 22 an adolescent POC. I got love for Fey, but I think that was a flex casting and not really necessary because Jamie can carry those conversations.

As for the actual story, it was great but I wish we would’ve learned more about Joe. The part where he was telling 22 what to say when he was being 100 with his moms was dope, wish they would’ve had more of that because I think we got too much of Fey. Just my thoughts after a second viewing, still top 3 Pixar to me personally.

Interesting...now that y’all paint it that way.

definitely more of an adult movie.

:lol:
Everybody in here asking about what happened to 22 are the exact people who asked how Mike and Sully met or why on earth we didnt meet Dory's Fam in Finding Nemo

I think they got ya'll

think she was fallin towards Asia though:nerd:

Didnt like it. I mean it was good but they purposely built up all this story on 22 and “her” growth but never tell us what happened to her. If they were gunn do that they should have focused more on joe and his life. And i def would have preferred to have someone else voice 22...def cheated the whole “first all black pixar movie /lead”

The whole barbershop scene alone was wow. The whole atmosphere, along with the Tribe Called Quest playing in the background, man...

The barbershop scene was very well written and I played it back twice because all of the things 22 and the Barber were saying definitely hit me in a way

Soul was great overall

i loved this movie. it didn't seemed forced at all. i loved all the subtle cultural-isms. unlike ww84, where the audience is treated like idiots and kept reiterating that the movie was in the 80's. they didn't keep forcing it down our throats. this was well done and felt authentic. subtlety is the key.
i don't watch animated movies often so i was completely blown away by the animation in this. this movie seriously made me feel like a kid again and im washed af.
favorite scenes were the barbershop and all the screen time at the alteration shop.

Really, really enjoyed this movie to where I had to watch it alone without the kids to fully appreciate the film. The music, story, and the writing was soooo good.

Explained to my wife what the joke was with the Knicks and she LOL'd when I told her how bad they've been lol.

Cool seeing the name tags of the mentors that 22 has through out time. Caught Jack Kirby as one of them. All the cut scenes with the Mother Teresa, Abraham Lincoln, and Copernicus was well done.

Idk why, but I recognized Donnell Rawlings voice immediately lol.

No comment on WandaVision?

I think Disney messed up by releasing it via the drip method.

The bulk of the first two episodes was sitcom. But it’s not I Love Lucy or Honeymooners funny. And it’s really a super hero story, which isn’t revealed during the first two episodes. Drip method relies on hype, social media trending and water cooler conversations. But based on the first two episodes, it’ll be negative.

No comment on WandaVision?

I think Disney messed up by releasing it via the drip method.

The bulk of the first two episodes was sitcom. But it’s not I Love Lucy or Honeymooners funny. And it’s really a super hero story, which isn’t revealed during the first two episodes. Drip method relies on hype, social media trending and water cooler conversations. But based on the first two episodes, it’ll be negative.

discussion ongoing in the MCU thread:

bs that lin-manuel got the gg nom for hamilton and not leslie odom, miranda had the worst performance of all the main and supporting cast

Back
Top Bottom