Official E-Reader Thread vol. Kindle, Skiff, Plastic Logic

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

You dont have to actually buy the book from the amazon store do you? Like if i downloaded a e-book from somewhere else, ill be able to upload it with no problems onto the Kindle? Also one of the books i plan to read isnt really a e-book, its just a real book that had its pages scanned. It is pretty bad quality but its definitely easily readable on my computer, will it be an issue on The Kindle(screen size making the bad quality font impossible to read, etc)?

as long as a book is in .azw format, it can be read by the kindle. There's conversion software out there.
http://www.labnol.org/gad...-for-pdf-documents/8455/
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Amazon Kindle DX Gets a Native PDF Reader[/h1]
The new Amazon Kindle DX includes a built-in PDF reader and lets you can read documents in both portrait and landscape mode without losing the formatting of the original file.

When you hold the Kindle in the default portrait mode, PDF documents are displayed in their original layout and fit the entire screen of the ebook reader. Kindle will automatically crop out the white margins around the PDF document so that the maximum amount of content gets displayed on the screen. In landscape orientation, Kindle automatically magnifies the PDF document to fit the width of the screen.

Like any Windows Tablet PC, Kindle DX can recognize the rotation gesture from portrait to landscape mode and will auto-switch to wide-screen reading mode upon rotation.

Reading PDFs in Kindle

When viewing a PDF inside Kindle DX, you can add bookmarks to remember pages but unlike other Kindle formatted books, annotations aren’t available for PDF so you can take notes or highlight text while reading. Kindle DX also lets you search PDF files but this feature is disabled for image based PDFs like scanned documents.

Other document formats supported by Kindle DX

office-2003-sp3.jpg
In addition to PDF, you can also read HTML web pages and Office documents in Kindle DX Reader either by converting these formats to PDF on your own (all Office 2007 SP2 programs include a PDF writer by default now) or you can send the documents to your Kindle account as an email attachment and let Amazon do the conversion for you. This is a free service unless you want Amazon to send the converted document wireless to your device.

Related: Publish Your Blog on Kindle Store

Transferring PDF Documents to Kindle DX

If you are in US, documents can be transferred to Kindle wirelessly (for a fee) or you could connect the Kindle DX to your Mac or Windows PC over the USB port and the device will appear as removable mass storage device (like any other USB drive).

Kindle’s hard drive includes a "documents" folder by default where you can manually copy more documents from the desktop and they’ll be available for reading on the Kindle.

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

You dont have to actually buy the book from the amazon store do you? Like if i downloaded a e-book from somewhere else, ill be able to upload it with no problems onto the Kindle? Also one of the books i plan to read isnt really a e-book, its just a real book that had its pages scanned. It is pretty bad quality but its definitely easily readable on my computer, will it be an issue on The Kindle(screen size making the bad quality font impossible to read, etc)?

as long as a book is in .azw format, it can be read by the kindle. There's conversion software out there.
http://www.labnol.org/gad...-for-pdf-documents/8455/
[h1][/h1]
[h1]Amazon Kindle DX Gets a Native PDF Reader[/h1]
The new Amazon Kindle DX includes a built-in PDF reader and lets you can read documents in both portrait and landscape mode without losing the formatting of the original file.

When you hold the Kindle in the default portrait mode, PDF documents are displayed in their original layout and fit the entire screen of the ebook reader. Kindle will automatically crop out the white margins around the PDF document so that the maximum amount of content gets displayed on the screen. In landscape orientation, Kindle automatically magnifies the PDF document to fit the width of the screen.

Like any Windows Tablet PC, Kindle DX can recognize the rotation gesture from portrait to landscape mode and will auto-switch to wide-screen reading mode upon rotation.

Reading PDFs in Kindle

When viewing a PDF inside Kindle DX, you can add bookmarks to remember pages but unlike other Kindle formatted books, annotations aren’t available for PDF so you can take notes or highlight text while reading. Kindle DX also lets you search PDF files but this feature is disabled for image based PDFs like scanned documents.

Other document formats supported by Kindle DX

office-2003-sp3.jpg
In addition to PDF, you can also read HTML web pages and Office documents in Kindle DX Reader either by converting these formats to PDF on your own (all Office 2007 SP2 programs include a PDF writer by default now) or you can send the documents to your Kindle account as an email attachment and let Amazon do the conversion for you. This is a free service unless you want Amazon to send the converted document wireless to your device.

Related: Publish Your Blog on Kindle Store

Transferring PDF Documents to Kindle DX

If you are in US, documents can be transferred to Kindle wirelessly (for a fee) or you could connect the Kindle DX to your Mac or Windows PC over the USB port and the device will appear as removable mass storage device (like any other USB drive).

Kindle’s hard drive includes a "documents" folder by default where you can manually copy more documents from the desktop and they’ll be available for reading on the Kindle.

You got the DX? I might have to upgrade soon

naw got the Kindle 2. i wasnt sure if the DX was worth it, so i decided to go with the base and just upgrade if i think its necessary. they just came out with a new DX too

You got the DX? I might have to upgrade soon

naw got the Kindle 2. i wasnt sure if the DX was worth it, so i decided to go with the base and just upgrade if i think its necessary. they just came out with a new DX too

So,

I should get one of these bad boys over actual text books?

How much would the e-versions of the books cost?

So,

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

So,

Interested in an answer to this also.

So,

So,

So,

Originally Posted by air in822

So,

normal ebooks through Amazon are $9.99 each
.pdf's are free and you can convert them to use on the Kindle 2 (or view them natively on a DX)

So,

.pdf's are free and you can convert them to use on the Kindle 2 (or view them natively on a DX)

So,

Are we talking e-textbooks at 9.99?

So,

Are we talking e-textbooks at 9.99?

^i believe thats what he was talking about. You were referring to e-textbooks though, right? Anybody have an answer?

^i believe thats what he was talking about. You were referring to e-textbooks though, right? Anybody have an answer?

Back
Top Bottom