OFFICIAL FIBA World Cup Spain 2014 Thread

you really want to see kd/lebron/russ/blake destroy anyone the rest of the world has to offer? if the US puts out their best/elite, nobody is touching them
they might not be beating teams by 50, but they will have no problem vs the rest of the world

wish they just go back to amateurs and let the young kids get some experience. win/lose, doesnt even matter

Last edited:
I think dimemag had a article on this a few years ago. USA vs the world or something along those lines

you really want to see kd/lebron/russ/blake destroy anyone the rest of the world has to offer? if the US puts out their best/elite, nobody is touching them
they might not be beating teams by 50, but they will have no problem vs the rest of the world

wish they just go back to amateurs and let the young kids get some experience. win/lose, doesnt even matter

To you it might not matter, but it does for the rest of the world. Any competition where you rep your country is a big deal. Why do think players give up their summers to play in these type of tournaments? is not like they are getting paid millions to play. National pride is a big thing. One which here in America sometimes we lack.

Last edited:
This US has looked modest at best. But believe or not, the world has caught up a bit now. We are not going to beat teams by 40 or 50 points like DT 1 did. Even with this B team we sent this year, I fully expect to win the whole thing though. Spain is good, and they have interior quality, but if you watch the games, their guard play has been moderate at best. Calderon, Fernandez, Rubio don't particularly shoot well. They get points because they take a lot of shots. Let see what happens.

Well this is brand new information.

To you it might not matter, but it does for the rest of the world. Any competition where you rep your country is a big deal. Why do think players give up their summers to play in these type of tournaments? is not like they are getting paid millions to play. National pride is a big thing. One which here in America sometimes we lack.

i just prefer to see the amateur/collegiate athletes.

I would be fine with sending college kids if people would stop treating them like scumbags and failures if they lose

I would be fine with sending college kids if people would stop treating them like scumbags and failures if they lose

Which they most definitely would. Could you imagine if Team USA was constructed out of last year's draft class? They might win two games, at best.

Feel kinda bad for Ukraine. They got eliminated from the tournament by 1 point in point differential and lost tiebreaker. If they had one more stop or scored one more bucket against the US, they would've advanced

Feel kinda bad for Ukraine. They got eliminated from the tournament by 1 point in point differential and lost tiebreaker. If they had one more stop or scored one more bucket against the US, they would've advanced

The Czar got them boys competing. That program was non-existent a couple years ago. Was kinda rooting for them to make it through to the knockout round.

[table][tr][td]Saturday, September 6[/td][/tr][tr][td]MATCHUP[/td][td]TIME (ET)[/td][td]TV[/td][/tr][tr][td]Mexico at United States[/td][td]10:00 AM ET[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]France at Croatia[/td][td]12:00 PM ET[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]Dominican Republic at Slovenia[/td][td]2:00 PM ET[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]Spain at Senegal[/td][td]4:00 PM ET[/td][td] [/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][td]Sunday, September 7[/td][/tr][tr][td]MATCHUP[/td][td]TIME (ET)[/td][td]TV[/td][/tr][tr][td]New Zealand at Lithuania[/td][td]10:00 AM ET[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]Serbia at Greece[/td][td]12:00 PM ET[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]Turkey at Australia[/td][td]2:00 PM ET[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]Brazil at Argentina[/td][td]4:00 PM ET[/td][td] [/td][/tr][/table]
Early start for west coasters on Saturday. Looks like I'll be waking up extra early then football the rest of the day

Last edited:
Good thing we're playing Mexico, because no way am I getting up at 7 am on a Saturday to watch that nonsense.

Looks like we're going to get some interesting second round matches, I'd like to see Spain and France face off

Also Argentina/Brazil first round should be nice

USA's three-point shooting has been
sick.gif
the shorter line might be messing with them

Harden's defense has actually been good
laugh.gif
despite all the heat he got for that gif. It won't carry over though into the real games though with the Rockets.

————————
Barcelona bracket
————————

USA
vs.
Mexico

Dominican Republic
vs.
Slovenia

New Zealand
vs.
Lithuania

Turkey
vs.
Australia

————————
Madrid bracket
————————

Spain
vs.
Croatia

France
vs.
Senegal

Serbia
vs.
Greece

Brazil
vs.
Argentina

Last edited:
USA's three-point shooting has been :x the shorter line might be messing with them

But that's a bad excuse to not hit 3pointers when the line is actually shorter instead of longer.
I didn't see Reggie Miller or Ray Allen having issues with the shorter line during their
tournaments ins 1994 / 2000.
Remember that MJ's 3pt accuracy jumped up to 43% in the NBA season 1995/1996 when the
line was shorter than before he retired in 1993.

This US has looked modest at best. But believe or not, the world has caught up a bit now. We are not going to beat teams by 40 or 50 points like DT 1 did. Even with this B team we sent this year, I fully expect to win the whole thing though. Spain is good, and they have interior quality, but if you watch the games, their guard play has been moderate at best. Calderon, Fernandez, Rubio don't particularly shoot well. They get points because they take a lot of shots. Let see what happens.

Next game against the Mexicans on Saturday. any predictions on the over/under margin victory? :smokin

Let's not forget that Team USA 2000 in Sydney had a lot of good players too. The roster was quite the best they could assemble in 2000 (Okay, Shaq
and Kobe should be in their roster too) and they won the game against Lithuania only by 2 points (85:83).

brazil argentina , serbia greece , croatia france will be very nice games to watch , i got brazil-greece-croatia on these games 

turkey australlia is a weird match too , time for exum to shine , turkey is nothing great this year 

But that's a bad excuse to not hit 3pointers when the line is actually shorter instead of longer.
I didn't see Reggie Miller or Ray Allen having issues with the shorter line during their
tournaments ins 1994 / 2000.
Remember that MJ's 3pt accuracy jumped up to 43% in the NBA season 1995/1996 when the
line was shorter than before he retired in 1993.
Eh it's not an excuse really, they are shooting so
sick.gif
I thought Curry would be destroying everyone like KD did last World Championship in 2010. It's just a theory that the shorter line is throwing them off

Just checked the stats, Curry is actually shooting 43% from 3, and Klay 42% I swear that's impossible
laugh.gif

I guess everyone else is dragging the percentage down but I'm really surprised to see their numbers that high

Back
Top Bottom