OFFICIAL FIBA World Cup Spain 2014 Thread

Rose hasn't been producing but at least his body and athleticism look ready for the NBA season

If anything, Rose's game really doesn't translate internationally. He looked good in the scrimmages against USA players

Rose played better last fiba stint so I don't buy that his game doesn't translate internationally.

The man hasn't played in two years, give him time :lol:

Watching that replay, that Mexican center is not afraid of Davis at all, he's getting some buckets too.

Bad omen for the USA against Spain..

Rose played better last fiba stint so I don't buy that his game doesn't translate internationally.

The man hasn't played in two years, give him time
laugh.gif
Anything's better than this stint
laugh.gif

Let me re-word, he can definitely make a contribution internationally, like he did in 2010, but I wouldn't take this performance and make any kind of declarations (like the folks calling him trash). Don't think it makes any sense to do that right now.

However, if you were to take your best 12 to the Olympics, Rose would not be on that roster, period. Even if healthy. There are certainly better guards who's games translate better internationally than Rose's.

Last edited:
You can say that about any of the guards on this roster, except maybe Harden. It's a numbers game when you're talking about bringing in the top 12 players period. Not sure why you're singling Rose out, in that case . :lol:

Last edited:
Rose looked bad today. Not gonna go as far and say hes trash :lol: but i just dont think his game translates to FIBA at all.

If hes going to look this bad i'd rather him attack the rim and look bad instead of this passive mess hes doing.

I'll write some off as rust, but the jumper still isnt looking good, which is what he was supposed to be working on... And im a bulls fan. Hopefully hes getting the rust off and plays better during the regular season.

I just think it's all rust. Not being able to finish at the rim and doing stuff like dribbling the ball off your feet has nothing to do with your game not meshing with the international style.

Rose is going to have his good days and bad days early on this NBA season, but it wouldn't make sense to say his game doesn't translate to NBA ball when he plays bad..

You can say that about any of the guards on this roster, except maybe Harden. It's a numbers game when you're talking about bringing in the top 12 players period. Not sure why you're singling Rose out, in that case .
laugh.gif
I just think it's all rust. Not being able to finish at the rim and doing stuff like dribbling the ball off your feet has nothing to do with your game not meshing with the international style.

Rose is going to have his good days and bad days early on this NBA season, but it wouldn't make sense to say his game doesn't translate to NBA ball when he plays bad..
I'm not singling Rose out though, it's funny because I'm actually sticking up for him you just seem to have the blinders on man. I'm saying the folks who are calling him trash are being harsh. Irving, Westbrook, Wall and Lilliard aren't really geared for international play either. You happy?
laugh.gif
But, I would rather have Irving, Westbrook and Curry (and obviously CP3 if he chooses to play) in 2016. Those three/four guards offer much more in an international context than Rose.

In the NBA, isolation play suits Rose a ton more. Breaking down defenders off the dribble, no pure zones to deal with either. Rose is much better suited to excel in an NBA context than international, I mean why wouldn't he be. That's so obvious it shouldn't even need to be said. There's no need to have the Rose homer blinders on man, I'm not going at him like that I was actually defending him
laugh.gif

I can see why the USA would pick Curry and cp3 over Rose in a larger pool of choices. Cp3 is a great playmaker and Curry a great shooter.

Kyrie has been out playing Rose for sure all tournament but he's not doing anything an on point Rose couldn't do. Kyrie is just finishing well around the basket, and Rose is.. Not. That has nothing to do with one's game being better for fiba ball over the other. It's just one guy is rusty, and the other one is not.

Westbrook would probably be given heavier consideration over Rose if available because of his defense. I think it's be kind of silly to say his game fits better internationally than Rose because they have similar skill sets..

I understand now that in your own way you're trying to defend Rose, I'm just going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I can see a scenario where Rose don't make the USA squad in Rio with a larger pool of players, but I don't think it'll be because his game doesn't work well internationally. It's just a numbers game at that point.

Last edited:
I'm not looking to throw shade Rose's way, but how does his game or what parts of his game translate effectively? What attribute does he possess that makes him stand out amongst these guards?

Irving is a more creative ball handler and though not the purest of point guards, is definitely more suited to run the offense more than Rose. Also a better shooter.

Westbrook's defensive ability alone trumps anything Rose can do and yes they have similar offensive skill sets but the way Westbrook operates internationally actually reminds me a lot of Wade in 2008. Obviously not on the same scale but I'd argue that Westbrook is a better scorer than Rose is as well as shooter.

You can characterize it as a numbers game all you want but in the end each of the guards I've listed offers a unique strength. Rose doesn't possess a superior attribute offensively or defensively (or an IQ) that stands out compared to the other guards. I don't think it's a numbers thing at all.

Kyrie is a better ball handler yes, but as far as running the offense don't see anything that Kyrie is doing that Rose can't do. The thing that Kyrie has been doing best all tourney is slashing to the rim and finishing. Kyrie's been doing it really well and really consistently, but that's something that Rose should also be able to do when he's at his best.

Westbrook was a great sparkplug off the bench when he played for USA last. A trait that he has that Rose lacks is that he is always aggressive no matter what, which is a good trait for someone coming off the bench should have. If team USA wants a scorer off the bench, the advantage would go to Westbrook vs Rose .

As far as running the team, Rose did that better than Westbrook when they both played last. In fact they didn't let Westbrook handle the ball much at all, he was used mostly as a small 2 while Rose did all the ball handling.

Last edited:
Again so I ask you, what attribute(s) does Rose possess that stand out amongst Irving, Westbrook, Curry, CP3 etc. etc. and that stand out on the international stage

Those 4 guards offer at least one unique attribute that stands out above the rest

The only guard I would argue I'd leave at home is Irving. Then again, like I said, Irving is the superior ball handler and shooter to Rose

Over everyone but Westbrook? A healthy Rose? Slashing and finishing. Defense. Rose is underrated defensively.

Over Westbrook? Playmaking.

You keep bringing up Kyrie's shooting but I swear, I'm pretty sure almost all of Kyrie's buckets have been in the paint this tourney :lol: I'll give you Kyrie's shooting but it's not like he needed it to play well this tourney

Last edited:
At this point in time, rose does not deserve to be on the roster.

Yes, he has looked good physically and it is understandable that Rose is rusty, but he has done more harm then good at this point.

Hopefully Rose can prove us all wrong and really start to show out further down the tournament which is when we really need the athletic Drose back.

Last edited:
True true on Rose's slashing ability. That's elite (when healthy). Other than that looks like we're going to disagree on this one.

As far as Irving's shooting ability, sure he may not be attempting too many perimeter shots or long range shots during this tournament, I'm just making the point that he has that ability and is superior in that aspect to Rose.

Last edited:
Watching just a bit of this Slovenia DR game. It's kinda sad that they're essentially playing for the rights to lose to the USA next game :lol:

Man, I can't get used to how fast FIBA games are played/how short the games are. I am used to tuning into NBA games half an hour after the airing time and it would still be in end of the first quarter. FIBA games are already at half time by that time. Those 2 minutes and live ball timeouts make a huge difference.

Watching just a bit of this Slovenia DR game. It's kinda sad that they're essentially playing for the rights to lose to the USA next game :lol:

Maybe, but this US team seems beatable to me. I actually will consider it an upset if they beat Spain.

Back
Top Bottom