OFFICIAL FIBA World Cup Spain 2014 Thread

Yeah, these guys are trying, but they're caught in a tough spot because while all of them have bought into the program (unlike ten years ago), the team was slapped together in a manner similar to ten years ago.

I agree. I just hate the narrative the comes out if these guys lose that somehow they weren't buying in, they were selfish or they're scumbags. We know that if we send our best players they can overcome any other team by a large margin.

With that said, I still believe this team will win against Spain. Although Spain has looked great, I'm waiting for this squad to play a complete game which we have yet to see. If they can avoid the slow start they can beat any team left.

Ain't nobody on this team sleeping, (except maybe James Harden a few possessions :lol: )

To say that to lose would be a wake up call implies that this team is sleeping. I believe these guys are wide awake and have their eyes on their price. I don't think anyone wants to be the first team to lose since 2004.

That said, Team USA is still beatable, but it has nothing to do with attitude or sleeping or any of that. There's just holes on this team and a good team like Spain can definitely exploit these holes.

I've said it before, and I think the only way I see the USA going down is if Anthony Davis goes down. *knocks on wood*

It'll be interesting to see if this current grouping of players (KD, Curry, AD, etc.) continue committing to the program as long as some of the European teams have.

Never gonna happen. The pool of players is deep enough that there will be natural attrition. LeBron, Carmelo, etc. can sit out because Paul George and Kevin Durant can step in (in a perfect world, obviously). If Pau Gasol sits for Spain, they're screwed (see: 2010). Also, USA Basketball doesn't put pressure on its players like some countries do.

I think 2016 will be the last we see of KD (I do think Carmelo and LeBron come back for one more Olympic run though). I can see Anthony Davis playing through 2019 (the next World Cup). Of course, a lot of this depends on playoff runs and whatnot that add mileage to all these guys.

I'm sure in in the very minority, but I think the US will beat Spain pretty comfortably. They'll beat Spain by 10 plus.

For all this talk about people catching up to the US, the US is sending their B team out there, with inept Guard play, and are still beating the hell out of everybody. :rolleyes

I'm sure in in the very minority, but I think the US will beat Spain pretty comfortably. They'll beat Spain by 10 plus.

For all this talk about people catching up to the US, the US is sending their B team out there, with inept Guard play, and are still beating the hell out of everybody.
eyes.gif
Eh, 10 isn't that comfortable. 15 I'd say would be a better number..

Anywho, I don't see the point you're making here. Yes, this is our B team and yes we are still beating the hell out of everyone.. but Spain has their A team. You didn't really provide a reason as to why this will be a comfortable win for us.

Plenty of countries have also sent their B teams, countries we've faced.

I personally see it coming down to the wire

Last edited:

For all this talk about people catching up to the US, the US is sending their B team out there, with inept Guard play, and are still beating the hell out of everybody. :rolleyes

Considering we've beaten them by a combined 18 points over the last two Olympics finals, that this is a better Spain team, and that this Team USA squad isn't close to those last two, I have a hard time seeing a double-digit win. And the reason we've been beating the hell out of teams is because our bigs are pounding on guys who aren't NBA-caliber big men. Spain has three NBA All-Star caliber bigs, who have actually gone at an NBA-caliber front line in this tournament and destroyed them (Brazil).

Considering we've beaten them by a combined 18 points over the last two Olympics finals, that this is a better Spain team, and that this Team USA squad isn't close to those last two, I have a hard time seeing a double-digit win. And the reason we've been beating the hell out of teams is because our bigs are pounding on guys who aren't NBA-caliber big men. Spain has three NBA All-Star caliber bigs, who have actually gone at an NBA-caliber front line in this tournament and destroyed them (Brazil).

Worth noting that Calderon didn't play in the '08 gold medal game due to injury and in '12 Marc Gasol had 5000 fouls in the first half and played limited minutes.

This current Spain team is fully capable of beating this "B" team. Can't see a double digit win for USA unless game time is during a siesta.

Last edited:
Watching the replay of the USA Slovenia game.

One of the analysts doesn't like to be corrected.

USA player gets called for the foul: analyst a 'That's not a foul'

*cue instant replay that shows Anthony Davis clearly elbowing the Slovenian player

analyst b: 'That looks like an elbow..'

Analyst A: 'well they're inconsistent. Doesn't matter what team, whether USA or Slovenia, or whatever, these fiba refs are inconsistent'

Analyst b:....

Thought that was a funny exchange all around :lol:

Last edited:
Watching the replay of the USA Slovenia game.

One of the analysts doesn't like to be corrected.

USA player gets called for the foul: 'That's not a foul'

*cue instant replay that shows Anthony Davis clearly elbowing the Slovenian player

Other analyst: 'That looks like an elbow..'

Analyst A: 'well they're inconsistent. Doesn't matter what team, whether USA or Slovenia, or whatever, these fiba refs are inconsistent'

Analyst b:....

Thought that was a funny exchange all around :lol:

Analyst A isn't wrong though. And if it's the play I'm thinking of, it wasn't that bad, and dude flopped.

Spain is getting some love now.
Guess they aren't all washed

I swear ya'll just make stuff up. Spain has been getting plenty of love in this thread from people who know what they're talking about. Even with Love, PG and Durant it was going to be a battle with Spain. You'll find plenty of posts in this thread about how they were a tough out no matter who we sent.

Now, I've said (in this thread even) that this is possibly their last big hurrah as we know them, seeing as how Calderon, Novarro and Pau probably won't play again for them again. Pau likely wasn't even going to play in this tourney if it wasn't actually in Spain.

Spain is getting some love now.
Guess they aren't all washed

I swear ya'll just make stuff up. Spain has been getting plenty of love in this thread from people who know what they're talking about. Even with Love, PG and Durant it was going to be a battle with Spain. You'll find plenty of posts in this thread about how they were a tough out no matter who we sent.

Now, I've said (in this thread even) that this is possibly their last big hurrah as we know them, seeing as how Calderon, Novarro and Pau probably won't play again for them again. Pau likely wasn't even going to play in this tourney if it wasn't actually in Spain.

I just joined this thread. Don't know what was said here but it looks like people joined the truth.

Go back to the NBA thread where the HATE for any team beside US (including Spain) even after PG and KD were gone was insane.

Same people now(like always) have joined the truth.

If you don't fit the "people" I'm talking about then I'm not talking about you, those who I am talking about know who they are, SMH, same cliques cosign in groups eventually, when the truth starts to become evident

Geez man. You are the new Bonez Marcus. Finally got rid of him now I have you following me around. Jesus Christ

Spain has always been tough even when usa had kobe bron and melo

Exactly. A whole group of hall of famers and top 50 players barely beat Spain. I really dont think this current team will.

Atleast not in this FIBA tournament

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom