Official Final Fantasy Thread | XII is the GOAT

Had to do my favorite game of all time right- finally filled out my play log:
IMG_20200430_101404.jpg
As much as I love the original, everything the new one brought was refreshing.

To play next: FFXII or Persona 5 Royale?
Final Fantasy XII

Only reason I still say a sequel, nothing from the OG is ignored. It happened and we're witnessing Sephiroth trying to change things so he can win. It's like if at the end of Endgame right before Thanos loses, he grabs the time stone and goes back to the beginning of the first avengers and starts changing things.
yea that makes sense. I guess what I mean is, if people are expecting the rest of the game to follow the original exactly, they could be disappointed. I still think they’ll hit most of the major plot points and locations, but certain things will probably be different. It feels like they’re doing alternate timelines which is dope. It also pretty much kills people’s complaints about having to buy an “incomplete” game each time for $60, as it’s not a one-for-one copy of the original. Story or otherwise

7R has been great so far, I’ve been purposely taking my time slowly chipping away at it. When I finish this I think I’ll finally give 9 a proper playthrough thanks to the iOS fast forward option. Not built for the level grinding anymore.

yea that makes sense. I guess what I mean is, if people are expecting the rest of the game to follow the original exactly, they could be disappointed. I still think they’ll hit most of the major plot points and locations, but certain things will probably be different. It feels like they’re doing alternate timelines which is dope. It also pretty much kills people’s complaints about having to buy an “incomplete” game each time for $60, as it’s not a one-for-one copy of the original. Story or otherwise
Yeah. The Ultimania dropped and has interviews from everyone on the directing team. They say the game will hit all the major story beats but as we know this game did but things were slightly changed. Can't wait to see the changes.

Super interesting post game discussion. Kinda long but worth it IMO. Max is on another level with these theories

I have a question as somebody that didn’t play the OG game. What exactly does Avalanche want? I’m on chapter 16 and I’m not sure I agree with them. Of course Shinra is evil but does avalanche want people to go back to the Stone Age (not seriously) and live without power or any of the other hi tech things mako has produced? Like I get it, save the planet blah blah blah, but that’s like saying everybody stop using oil or any of earths natural resources and figure another way out to live

I have a question as somebody that didn’t play the OG game. What exactly does Avalanche want? I’m on chapter 16 and I’m not sure I agree with them. Of course Shinra is evil but does avalanche want people to go back to the Stone Age (not seriously) and live without power or any of the other hi tech things mako has produced? Like I get it, save the planet blah blah blah, but that’s like saying everybody stop using oil or any of earths natural resources and figure another way out to live
They want them to find a way to stop killing the planet and being scummy as hell. Shinra is a pretty terrible corporation. I won’t spoil anything but they do horrible things.
There are other ways to get power but shrina don’t want that. It’s like the gas companies in real life. Are there alternatives to gas powered cars? Yes. Will Exxon actually help with the switch? Hell no. They will continue with their chokehold on the market while also killing us.

also all the main characters have personal reasons for wanting Shinra to fall

edit: If you can, play the og cause the moment you leave Midgar, you can see how Shinra is effecting the planet by using Mako. Can’t wait for part 2 to see this.

They’re destroying the planet by sucking mako out.
You need to play the original game to understand more of the wrong doings of shinra though. You find out more after you leave midgar.

im only at chapter 8 in FF7R
im loving it
but these are a couple of changes i don't like:

1- the absence of the victory music (this is minor lol, and i also lol'd @ barrett singing it, smirked at the reference)

2- in the original, those migraines/flashbacks cloud had, and sephiroth things were left a mystery. we just always had a dark feeling with cloud, and we were always wondering "what's up with this guy?" there was always an air of mystique and mystery about it. but showing sephiroth pop up early and those memories so frequently in the remake.. it kind of takes away all the surprise feelings i had in the OG. seeing the clones this early and knowing their link to sephiroth right away and linked to the reunion....... in the OG, i felt real panicky about everything, because i never knew what to expect. but in the remake, you're hinted at the reunion early, the sephiroth haunting memories early. in the original, you kind of just felt like cloud had a dark mysterious past & ptsd.

but it's cool, that's a preferential thing regarding plot i guess. i still love the game despite those changes.

there's changes that i love too

i never realized how flirty jesse was, just the character development of everybody actually, is super dope. never realized how funny and witty aerith was until now, i notice it with the voice and all. jesse wedge biggs super dope. barrett is fire.

i like how tifa tries to switch the topic ASAP every time cloud mentions about 5 years ago

Contemplating finally doing a X-2 run. Played the original, but kind of skipped it and focused on X when the remaster came out.

president shinra reminds me of john d rockefeller, especially
after that hologram projection in chapter 6 or whatever

Last edited:
Contemplating finally doing a X-2 run. Played the original, but kind of skipped it and focused on X when the remaster came out.
It's funny you say that, I 100% the base game but need to do that tower gauntlet style side game to get the plat. I booted it up not too long ago, it's just so much RNG involved with it.

Agreed. Chapter 16 was one of the low points in the game.

Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away...

the rufus boss fight was amazing though. not sure if that was still in ch 16 though..
I struggled with that fight. It seemed like it dragged. He spams attacks and you can only attack back when he reloads? It seems like it took me way too long to smack him up.

I struggled with that fight. It seemed like it dragged. He spams attacks and you can only attack back when he reloads? It seems like it took me way too long to smack him up.

Fam makes it look easy but that's probably cause this is hard mode meaning possible max level, materia, etc.

Back
Top Bottom