OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Spain wins 2024 Euro Cup and Argentina wins the Copa America

Who wins the Euros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i really hope my guy dembele hits his potential. i don’t even care if it’s for psg.
enrique is a great manager for wingers and forwards.

Just played my last FUT champs match to close out the FIFA era. Didn't make the finals but whatever, Bring on EAFC24 :pimp:

At this point we pretty much have to give Brighton what they want for Caicedo. I see the midfields we will be going up against this season and and he completely changes our prospects in the league.

Also kinda made me sad seeing Kovacic playing for City this morning, he’s gonna do so well there

There’s still a massive revenue gap between the men and the women. The women’s strongest argument was their success. They have now been eliminated at the same stage as the men. What justifies equal pay?
using this result to justify that doesn’t seem to have strong footing IMO

What ever justified equal pay with the ugly reality of the difference in numbers?

I have yet to hear a strong argument aside from: “they’re good.” And at this point that’s debatable.
I mean, it’s kind of a circular argument. Deeply ingrained sexism is the only thing that ever justified unequal pay. Obviously it was the history of success that people were using to push for that after winning b2b — I’m not sure that them losing this way really serves as a gotcha moment for the sport.

You have to stick to an argument, should they be paid based off success or profits?

If you saying that the ladies losing now means they shouldn’t get the pay they want then you admitting that they were underpaid when they actually did win in the past, which started the whole pay issue

In the first case years ago, the judge dismissed the lawsuit, because, in fact, the women were getting paid more; but in the second case, which did go through this guy breaks down what happened now that they’re eliminated

I mean, it’s kind of a circular argument. Deeply ingrained sexism is the only thing that ever justified unequal pay. Obviously it was the history of success that people were using to push for that after winning b2b — I’m not sure that them losing this way really serves as a gotcha moment for the sport.
Yes, they are both playing the same sport representing the same country, however, the revenue generated in each is different. They also agreed on the type of contract that they wanted. They wanted guaranteed instead of bonuses. You can't say you want to be paid one way, but when you see your peers getting paid differently because they chose a different option cry foul. It's disingenuous.

Now if you believe that the men's team should cut their earnings and share it, then that's another argument. And where does it end. The bowling team will start to demand more because they see the men's basketball team earning x amount despite the vast difference in popularity and sponsorships.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the argument should always be in regards to revenue generation.

Regardless of the success of the Women’s NT they will never generate the same level of excitement as the men’s team; and this isn’t a USA thing, it is worldwide. The Men’s FIFA WC will always generate 100x the female counterpart, and this increased/audience will always lead to higher revenues from sponsors/fans/officials.

Equal pay will never be achieved in my eyes, unfair as it may be.

Disappointing showing by USWNT, but I’d say it’s more of the world catching up than it is the program sucking. They really missed Mallory Swanson and an underrated vet like Christen Press. All due respect to Rapinoe, she’s pretty washed at this point.

End of the day, I think women’s footy is pretty good and the revenue it generates makes it a better argument (for USMNT and USWNT) than the NBA/WNBA one. La Liga and Premier League’s Womens League are solid too.

Back
Top Bottom