OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Spain wins 2024 Euro Cup and Argentina wins the Copa America

Who wins the Euros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I brought up attendance because you mentioned that the US men's team isn't attracting as many people to their games as the women's team. The difference in numbers is clear. I also pointed out that the women's team has been winning, which likely contributes to their increasing popularity and viewership surpassing that of the men's team.

Popularity is definitely a factor. It affects the number of sponsorships a team can secure, which in turn affects their earnings. That's why you see brands all over the place.

It's also worth noting that popularity can impact player selection for certain sports. Sometimes, a team might bring along a less talented player for marketing purposes. To deny that this happens would be disingenuous.

i only mention popularity with the men’s team because it has nothing to do with the US men’s team

team literally didn’t even qualify for the 2018 World Cup

you have 1 national team that literally regularly wins and is regularly considered a legit contender.. vs 1 that is just there and if they make it to round of 16, is considered a success

it’s literally thee most watched sporting event in the world if the USMNT Is there or not

same goes for the Olympics.. hence why certain athletes have to show up during that time frame to allow their sponsorship money to grow

MLS slander will not be tolerated. The league is electric now
steve-carell-thankyou.gif

i only mention popularity with the men’s team because it has nothing to do with the US men’s team

team literally didn’t even qualify for the 2018 World Cup

you have 1 national team that literally regularly wins and is regularly considered a legit contender.. vs 1 that is just there and if they make it to round of 16, is considered a success

it’s literally thee most watched sporting event in the world if the USMNT Is there or not

same goes for the Olympics.. hence why certain athletes have to show up during that time frame to allow their sponsorship money to grow
I didn't just compare World Cup viewership numbers, I looked at overall numbers including friendlies and qualifiers. It's not surprising that the World Cup has high viewership regardless of the US team's presence since soccer is a popular sport in many countries. The US isn't the majority of the world's population, so their absence doesn't necessarily decrease viewership. In fact, soccer is not even the most popular sport in the US.

I didn't just compare World Cup viewership numbers, I looked at overall numbers including friendlies and qualifiers. It's not surprising that the World Cup has high viewership regardless of the US team's presence since soccer is a popular sport in many countries. The US isn't the majority of the world's population, so their absence doesn't necessarily decrease viewership. In fact, soccer is not even the most popular sport in the US.

im well aware of all this.. but this just shows the dudes are literally benefiting from simply being dudes and showing up

at least when Lebron and those show up to national team stuff, they win.. but their pay is compensated on the non-national team side of things

the women show up for their country and easily out perform the men

now if an American is able to play on the other side of the world, obviously they wouldn’t care about what who is paid since they’d be making bank

just like I assume Lebron and co don’t give a crap about what who gets paid for Olympics success

im well aware of all this.. but this just shows the dudes are literally benefiting from simply being dudes and showing up

at least when Lebron and those show up to national team stuff, they win.. but their pay is compensated on the non-national team side of things

now if an American is able to play on the other side of the world, obviously they wouldn’t care about what who is paid since they’d be making bank

just like I assume Lebron and co don’t give a crap about what who gets paid for Olympics success
Americans are playing on the other side of the world, in fact, most of their starting 11 is playing for a club overseas. At the end of the day, it all goes back to revenue.When it comes to revenue generation, the women's side of soccer is gaining momentum. However, they have fallen short in broadcasting rights. In the past, men's and women's rights were packaged together, but now they are being sold/licensed individually due to the increase in women's viewership. Unfortunately, advertisers and media platforms have not been willing to pay FIFA's asking price for the women's format.

Americans are playing on the other side of the world, in fact, most of their starting 11 is playing for a club overseas. At the end of the day, it all goes back to revenue.When it comes to revenue generation, the women's side of soccer is gaining momentum. However, they have fallen short in broadcasting rights. In the past, men's and women's rights were packaged together, but now they are being sold/licensed individually due to the increase in women's viewership. Unfortunately, advertisers and media platforms have not been willing to pay FIFA's asking price for the women's format.

and my point is the men are compensated by their clubs.. and the clubs depend on revenue they’re able to spend, so that is when popularity should matter

however as far as the national team goes, should be a set standard and you reward bonuses by results

I’d get if a small country has to make difficult decisions.. but even then they’d factor in who actually has a chance of succeeding

for example, my country, the bahamas, I would be livid if we threw money behind any athlete before Shaunae Miller-Uibo and Steven Gardner.. they easily represent the best opportunities for any of our senior national team members.. they have justified it.. the results are obvious

since ‘90, the uswnt has done the following:

won the world cup 4 times, came 2nd once, and 3rd three times
Won gold medal at the Olympics 4 times, silver once and bronze once

Meanwhile the USMNT has made the round of 16 all of 5 times

So you’re essentially saying it’s the national teams responsibility to make up the pay difference because the women are not paid so well by their clubs?

So you’re essentially saying it’s the national teams responsibility to make up the pay difference because the women are not paid so well by their clubs?

nope, not at all what I am saying

i only reference non-national team opportunities since there is clearly significantly better opportunities for the men vs the women

however for the national team pay should at least be equal for the sport.. and then you set up a bonus structure which is also equal

hell, I’d even argue the women should be paid significantly more since they have better opportunities to succeed.. The chances of the national anthem being heard is at least a possibility with them

Where would he go? Inter Miami couldn't afford a superteam could they?

Got one of the teams LA written all over it…DC been trying to make some noise but idk if they got it like that and Arthur Blank got no problems spending in ATL too…Plus there’s always NYC for the market

I just asked bout when yo coming to the MLS last week :lol: …I know he always in the states, sees the kinda deal Messi got and how he’s having his way on the field out here

and my point is the men are compensated by their clubs.. and the clubs depend on revenue they’re able to spend, so that is when popularity should matter

however as far as the national team goes, should be a set standard and you reward bonuses by results

I’d get if a small country has to make difficult decisions.. but even then they’d factor in who actually has a chance of succeeding

for example, my country, the bahamas, I would be livid if we threw money behind any athlete before Shaunae Miller-Uibo and Steven Gardner.. they easily represent the best opportunities for any of our senior national team members.. they have justified it.. the results are obvious

since ‘90, the uswnt has done the following:

won the world cup 4 times, came 2nd once, and 3rd three times
Won gold medal at the Olympics 4 times, silver once and bronze once

Meanwhile the USMNT has made the round of 16 all of 5 times

i only reference non-national team opportunities since there is clearly significantly better opportunities for the men vs the women

however for the national team pay should at least be equal for the sport.. and then you set up a bonus structure which is also equal

hell, I’d even argue the women should be paid significantly more since they have better opportunities to succeed.. The chances of the national anthem being heard is at least a possibility with them
Ultimately, it comes down to revenue. Even if I were the best stone skipper in my country, I couldn't expect to be paid the same as athletes in more popular sports. Payment is based on interest, which translates into revenue generation. Then you factor in that they negotiated themselves into a contract that wasn't favorable to them and the success that they were having.

Ultimately, it comes down to revenue. Even if I were the best stone skipper in my country, I couldn't expect to be paid the same as athletes in more popular sports. Payment is based on interest, which translates into revenue generation. Then you factor in that they negotiated themselves into a bad contract.

in the Olympics, that is what happens in the US and globally..

if Michael Phelps isn’t given an exception, zero clue why dudes who recently didn’t even qualify should get some sort of special considerations over legit winners

steven gardner gets paid from the Bahamas as a national team member, but his reward from the country is because of the success he has had representing the country

basketball and the nba are far more popular sports.. but buddy hield and Ayton get paid PAId from their nba teams.. Bahamas aint throwing a bunch of money at them dudes for a national team that might not even qualify for these tournaments

in the Olympics, that is what happens in the US and globally..

if Michael Phelps isn’t given an exception, zero clue why dudes who recently didn’t even qualify should get some sort of special considerations over legit winners

steven gardner gets paid from the Bahamas as a national team member, but his reward from the country is because of the success he has had representing the country

basketball and the nba are far more popular sports.. but buddy hield and Ayton get paid PAId from their nba teams.. Bahamas aint throwing a bunch of money at them dudes for a national team that might not even qualify for these tournaments
These are two distinct entities. Your pay at one job may not be related to your pay at another job. Bolt broke records while representing Jamaica, but he earned most of his money from endorsements because of his performance and popularity. Comparing Basketball to Football doesn't make sense because footballs popularity is lightyears ahead of the basketball. Then you factor in that these players play for clubs and people want to see how they perform in a different team settings.

Last edited:
They are two separate entities. Your pay at one job doesn't necessarily correlate at another. Bolt set records while repping Jamaica, but most of his earnings came from endorsements due to his performance and popularity.

exactly.. but the nature of track and field, like swimming and gymnastics

the biggest platform those athletes will have is the Olympics and they will have to perform on that stage to be compensated outside of their sports and by their country.. but countries will reward handsomely for winning and will cover the expenses to enable the continued success of winning.. winners will also usually get some sort of government gig offered to them as a backend form of payment

but as I fan, the only reason I care about my team’s revenue is because hopefully that money will go back into the team to help my team succeed.. the success of the team is my concern, money isnt going into my pocket so why would I care about revenue

and as a citizen, the hope of hearing my national anthem on the world stage is the most important to me.. if my taxes are funding anything I want the best chance of winning being the priority

exactly.. but the nature of track and field, like swimming and gymnastics

the biggest platform those athletes will have is the Olympics and they will have to perform on that stage to be compensated outside of their sports and by their country

but as I fan, the only reason I care about my team’s revenue is because hopefully that money will go back into the team to help my team succeed.. the success of the team is my concern, money isnt going into my pocket so why would I care about revenue

and as a citizen, the hope of hearing my national anthem on the world stage is the most important to me.. if my taxes are funding anything I want the best chance of winning being the priority
I understand your point, but revenue is directly linked to what is generated. It is not feasible to demand 10 when only 5 is available. Here's a question for you - do you believe that NBA players should reduce their salaries to increase the salaries of WNBA players?

I understand your point, but revenue is directly linked to what is generated. It is not feasible to demand 10 when only 5 is available. Here's a question for you - do you believe that NBA players should reduce their salaries to increase the salaries of WNBA players?

this is why I repeatedly talk about national team vs professional teams/leagues

even in collegiate sports and lesser degree high school sports, I get it

but from a country like the US, success especially in soccer, should be the primary focus

and as far as national teams go, you are comparing an extremely successful one vs the other that barely participates

a close loss on the final penalty kick to a legit squad was considered a massive disappointment.. if the men’s team did that, they’d find reason for hope

this is why I repeatedly talk about national team vs professional teams/leagues

even in collegiate sports and lesser degree high school sports, I get it

but from a country like the US, success especially in soccer, should be the primary focus

and as far as national teams go, you are comparing an extremely successful one vs the other that barely participates

a close loss on the final penalty kick to a legit squad was considered a massive disappointment.. if the men’s team did that, they’d find reason for hope
The US women’s team is a juggernaut. To the casual not winning another world cup after dominating the last few is a disappointment. Whereas to enthusiasts who follow the sport would know why it wasn’t etc. There is going to be a reason for hope for the men’s team because it’s as if they are fighting above their weight class. Hence why people would see it as a reason for hope. They haven’t been good, but a draw and win against teams like England and Portugal is considered a win when you compare the players they are fielding. If you don’t understand that, then I don’t know what to tell you.

The US women’s team is a juggernaut. To the casual not winning another world cup after dominating the last few is a disappointment. Whereas to enthusiasts who follow the sport would know why it wasn’t etc. There is going to be a reason for hope for the men’s team because it’s as if they are fighting above their weight class. Hence why people would see it as a reason for hope. They haven’t been good, but a draw and win against teams like England and Portugal is considered a win when you compare the players they are fielding. If you don’t understand that, then I don’t know what to tell you.

i understand all that

but it speaks to the dominance of the women and the standard they have set vs the men

and yet the discussion is how resources should be spent for a national team, the team that represents the country.. not a team ultimately owned by billionaire(s)

and at least to me it seems extremely obvious, you have an extremely success team vs one where their highest finish at the World Cup was almost a century ago and they didnt qualify for almost half of the world cups

Back
Top Bottom