OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Spain wins 2024 Euro Cup and Argentina wins the Copa America

Who wins the Euros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
TL;DR for the last page
IMG_9841.jpeg

I was beginning to believe we might have a semi decent season, finish around 6-8, best case scenario snag a Europa League spot. Nkunku missing time definitely kills all the momentum built up from pre-season.

Gotta get another striker to play up top. Gonna cost an arm and a leg.

i understand all that

but it speaks to the dominance of the women and the standard they have set vs the men

and yet the discussion is how resources should be spent for a national team, the team that represents the country.. not a team ultimately owned by billionaire(s)

and at least to me it seems extremely obvious, you have an extremely success team vs one where their highest finish at the World Cup was almost a century ago and they didnt qualify for almost half of the world cups
The situation is much more nuanced than what you see it as. You're gripe should be with advertiser's, sponsors and marketing agencies. Not the men and the FA because the men's format generates more revenue. It's like being a Lakers fan and being mad at the Caruso and the NBA because the bulls were able to offer him more money. You're solution is take from Peter to pay Paul. The goal should be to find ways to enhance women's sports, increase public interest, and ultimately generate more revenue.

The situation is much more nuanced than what you see it as. You're gripe should be with advertiser's, sponsors and marketing agencies. Not the men and the FA because the men's format generates more revenue. It's like being a Lakers fan and being mad at the Caruso and the NBA because the bulls were able to offer him more money. You're solution is take from Peter to pay Paul. The goal should be to find ways to enhance women's sports, increase public interest, and ultimately generate more revenue.

Nah.. I’ve stayed on the Olympics because advertisers and brands have compensated athletes for their reward.. inclusive on ladies on the uswnt

If I was a fan of a specific team THEN what they decided to do or not do with money would bother me.. baseball and the private equity entities are a relevant example here (more specifically Red Sox not paying mookie and trading him)

But again, this is the national team for the United States of America that does exceptionally well

You don’t pay RBs because you have a salary cap and you can easily replace their production and more importantly that then restricts what you can do elsewhere on the roster.. that doesn’t exist in this situation, reward the ladies for succeeding

Nah.. I’ve stayed on the Olympics because advertisers and brands have compensated athletes for their reward.. inclusive on ladies on the uswnt

If I was a fan of a specific team THEN what they decided to do or not do with money would bother me.. baseball and the private equity entities are a relevant example here

But again, this is the national team for the United States of America that does exceptionally well

You don’t pay RBs because you have a salary cap and you can easily replace their production and more importantly that then restricts what you can do elsewhere on the roster.. that doesn’t exist in this situation, reward the ladies for succeeding
I dont disagree that they should be rewarded, but where should the reward come from? Thin air?someone else earnings? Especially when they agreed to said compensation package which is the opposite of their counter parts.

I dont disagree that they should be rewarded, but where should the reward come from? Thin air?someone else earnings? Especially when they agreed to said compensation package which is the opposite of their counter parts.

National teams don’t work in the same manner as private entities which have CBA agreements and unions reps and all that

If the state university college coaches are easily the highest paid public employees in most states, if I were a US citizen I’d much rather the players of my national team be properly compensated over a college coach for a school I didn’t attend

But given it’s a national team, the federal government could cover the costs and benefits

I know other countries will give public land to their athletes along with with stipends.. and then they’ll give them local promotional deals with government entities.. they will also give them paid roles within different ministries.. all in an effort to help them continue to succeed and focus on their sport

National teams don’t work in the same manner as private entities which have CBA agreements and unions reps and all that

If the state university college coaches are easily the highest paid public employees in most states, if I were a US citizen I’d much rather the players of my national team be properly compensated over a college coach for a school I didn’t attend

But given it’s a national team, the federal government could cover the costs and benefits

I know other countries will give public land to their athletes along with with stipends.. and then they’ll give them local promotional deals with government entities.. they will also give them paid roles within different ministries.. all in an effort to help them continue to succeed and focus on their sport
You're mistaken. They do utilize CBA agreements.

Here are the details of the one they signed last year.

You're mistaken. They do utilize CBA agreements.

Here are the details of the one they signed last year.

O true..

But given there is no salary cap and the obvious benefit to the young girls and women in the country and encouragement of sport on the whole.. could easily justify federal government paying those ladies

Nick saban gets a raise every time someone else does

O true..

But given there is no salary cap and the obvious benefit to the young girls and women in the country and encouragement of sport on the whole.. could easily justify federal government paying those ladies

Nick saban gets a raise every time someone else does
Their football program alone makes over a $140mil a year. He's partly responsible for their success which leads to higher revenues due to people tuning into their games, higher bids for their broadcasting rights, merchandise etc. But the key in all of that is, there is a high demand for the product.

There is a reason why (with the introduction of the NLIE), women's college basketball players aren't necessarily rushing to the WNBA. There is more of a demand for the Womens college basketball, which leads to higher revenues. Which means they are earning more than if they were to bounce off to the pro's like their male counterparts.

Their football program alone makes over a $140mil a year. He's partly responsible for their success which leads to higher revenues due to people tuning into their games, higher bids for their broadcasting rights, merchandise etc. But the key in all of that is, there is a high demand for the product.

There is a reason why (with the introduction of the NLIE), women's college basketball players aren't necessarily rushing to the WNBA. There is more of a demand for the Womens college basketball, which leads to higher revenues. Which means they are earning more than if they were to bounce off to the pro's like their male counterparts.

I don’t have a problem with him or others getting paid

my problem with college sports is the schools still refusing to directly pay the players

but in sports where there isn’t a salary cap, I have no problem with entities with money spending

hell even in sports with salary caps or whatever, you’ll see teams that have money clearly not spend money on other resources thar could give them a advantage (coaching, scouting, cap experts, analytics staff, nutritional experts, etc)

I don’t have a problem with him or others getting paid

my problem with college sports is the schools still refusing to directly pay the players

but in sports where there isn’t a salary cap, I have no problem with entities with money spending

hell even in sports with salary caps or whatever, you’ll see teams that have money clearly not spend money on other resources thar could give them a advantage (coaching, scouting, cap experts, analytics staff, nutritional experts, etc)
I agree. College sports should pay players accordingly considering that the school are making tons of money off of their likeness, gameplay, jersey sales etc. but their argument is we're compensating them with scholarships to get an expensive education.

I agree. College sports should pay players accordingly considering that the school are making tons of money off of their likeness, gameplay, jersey sales etc. but their argument is we're compensating them with scholarships to get an expensive education.

and the problem with that argument is they’ll pull that scholarship as soon as it’s convenient

but if you got the money, pay the kids.. Use same bonuses as coaches too

Feel horrible for Marco :smh: Kid makes a mistake and it's amplified only because it came from Messi smh

Peeping this Nigeria England in extra time right now with a England down to 10

Idk if anyone made a PL fantasy league this year but if not, heres a link to last year's league. I been extremely busy this summer so havent had the time to post in here.

Sorry for the delay, I know the season is only just a few days away so my apologies for not getting it started earlier.

Back
Top Bottom