OFFICIAL GAME OF THRONES THREAD | HOUSE OF THE DRAGON Premieres 8.21.22 | OFFICIAL TRAILER REVEALED

Who ends up sitting on the Iron Throne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mind: Blown. Daenerys might just be the Rightful Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, and Aerys' Heir.
renderTimingPixel.png

This has only occurred to me like half an hour ago.

As we know, the Westerosi crown follows agnatic primogeniture as its law of inheritance.

According to agnatic primogeniture, the order of succession is:

0) King

1. Eldest son of King

2. Eldest son of the son of the King, and, in succession, any other sons by order of birth

3. Second son of the King
In other words, the grandson comes before the uncle.

Here's the snag nobody's considering. Viserys, the uncle, was crowned King before the grandson, Jon/Aegon was born.

I'll try to keep it the simplest possible.

The rightful king of the Seven Kingdoms was Aerys. At the moment of his death, he had only two kids: Rhaegar and Viserys (Daenerys was still a fetus in Rhaella's belly).

Rhaegar was dad to Rhaenys and Aegon with Elia, but he annulled his marriage and possibly bastardised his first children. When he died, Lyanna was, unbeknownst to the world, pregnant with his kid (who had 50% chances of being a girl, mind you).

When news came of Rhaegar's death, Viserys immediately became the heir to Aerys, the Crown Prince. When Aerys was stabbed by Jaime, Rhaella crowned Viserys King of the Seven Kingdoms.

This was absolutely rightful: when Aerys dies, Rhaegar is already dead, and Jon hasn't been born yet - he literally doesn't exist, and as a fetus, has 50% chances of being a girl anyway. At the moment of Aerys' death, seven year old Viserys is the only possible heir to the Targaryen crown.

So, Viserys was king before Jon was born.

The timeline went like this: Battle of the Trident (Rhaegar dead) -> Aerys sends Rhaella and Viserys away to Dragonstone -> Aerys dies, Viserys becomes King -> Jon is born.

So, normally, the line of succession now would be:

Viserys -> Jon/Aegon, unless Viserys has a son, in which case the line would look like Viserys -> Viserys' son -> Jon/Aegon.

Now, grown up, Viserys explicitly nominated Daenerys his heir. Which would mean that the rightful Targaryen heir is Daenerys and not Jon.

One could argue that Viserys didn't know about Jon, but it's really, really unlikely that he'd nominate as his heir, as the head of the Targaryen house, a kid raised as a Stark by one of the Usurper's dogs, instead of his Targaryen born and raised sister, a sister he, even if in a twisted way, loved.

The fact is that Jon's birth, even with a better claim as son of Rhaegar, wouldn't dethrone Viserys. Kingship doesn't get revoked because a baby with a better claim comes along. And if Viserys elected Dany as his heir, that's a King's word - it's law.

To be honest I don't think we'll get any treatment of this in the show. The show seems to be going rather mindlessly in the "Jon's the rightful heir" route, unless all of this gets brought out next season. Which would make for some compelling political drama.

I'm sure though some discussion of this will get brought up in the books.

and going back to robert yall forget he would have killed jon if he knew who he was

thats why ned had to lie

so he was just as worried about bastards as joffrey was and willing to kill if he could

Dude really arguing for days that Dany wasn’t psycho LMFAO...
Using wildfire to burn Stanos troops simply isn’t even close to Dany burning INNOCENT civilians. The only thing comparable would be when Cersi used wildfire to blow up the church and everyone inside. Both them bihhs was CRAZY, both bout that incest life also smfh.

Literally every ruler within Westeros that sacked a city killed 1000s of innocent civilians.

Only thing Dany did different was use a dragon.

Shoulda had Dany not taking the Kings landing out, going straight for Cersei but Cersei escapes just in time with Jamie. Also Jamie never gets stabbed so they both escape with Dany now being the queen.

The last episode is a search for Cersei and a sneak move by Tyrion to end Dany but only after Dany finds Cersei. Jon beats Jamie and Dany beats Cersei, but Tyrion gets his revenge on Dany somehow and ends her, and Jon then ends Tyrion. Now Jon is king by default and Drogon is his.

Man, I’m bored right now lol

Literally every ruler within Westeros that sacked a city killed 1000s of innocent civilians.

Only thing Dany did different was use a dragon.
Name the ones that did during this HBO series. Cersi, Dany and the Night King are the only people to kill mass civilians to my memory.

Dude really arguing for days that Dany wasn’t psycho LMFAO...
Using wildfire to burn Stanos troops simply isn’t even close to Dany burning INNOCENT civilians. The only thing comparable would be when Cersi used wildfire to blow up the church and everyone inside. Both them bihhs was CRAZY, both bout that incest life also smfh.

Danny been wanting to use them dragons to wreck shop, Tyrion was the only thing holding her back. If he would’ve let her do it before his sister cut off her best friends head in front of her it might’ve went a little differently.

Name the ones that did during this HBO series. Cersi, Dany and the Night King are the only people to kill mass civilians to my memory.

My guy Robert had Tywin do it. That's why Oberyn hated the Lannisters.

When Stannis almost took the city they literally had someone to kill the women "painlessly" before Stannis and his crew raped and killed them.

Like you said Cersei blew up the Sept.

Murdering and raping civilians when a city gets sacked is the norm in this show.

What's super ironic is Dany is the only ruler that didn't allow this until King's Landling.

She finally did what every other man did before her and they called her crazy and killed her for it.

I'm not a "feminist" but that **** bothers the hell out of me.

‘Game of Thrones’ Plot Twist Spurs Accusations of ‘Misogyny’ From Feminist Fans

Daenerys-Targaryen.jpg

Credit: Screen grab

https://pluralist.com/daenerys-targaryen-misogyny/

“Unless you’re privileged and rich, life is hard enough without seeking it from your *fantasy* stories.”

The penultimate episode of HBO’s hit fantasy show “Game of Thrones” aired Sunday, and one particular plot twist outraged feminist fans.

At issue is the behavior of character Daenerys Targaryen, played by English actress Emilia Clarke. The dragon-taming claimant to the Iron Throne, whose character arc has seen her transform from a timid captive to ruthless conqueror, has come to be seen in many circles as a sort of feminist icon.

“Daenerys (or one of her many nicknames) has become shorthand for an often superficial notion of women’s empowerment. Even Elizabeth Warren is a khaleesi stan,” Vox’s Gaby Del Valle wrote in an April piece, in which she noted that many people are naming their babies after the so-called Mother of Dragons.

The valorization of Daenerys made her character’s tyrannical actions during a climactic battle Sunday night feel like a betrayal to many of her feminist devotees. After the dragon-riding Daenerys and her army decimated their opposition at King’s Landing, earning the surrender of her enemies, the heroine turned heel and torched thousands of innocent citizens.

The act appalled legions of fans, who viewed the plot twist as a misogynistic trope – women in positions of power can’t handle the pressure and let their feelings drive them to hysterical behavior.

“GRRM: I have written a complex, massively multi-character, ten-thousand page epic which shall end with a final clash informed by the theme of– TV writers: *****es be crazy?” tweeted novelist Scott Westerfeld.

“What a sexist, racist finale. Women go mad under pressure, and the brown horde and poor White folks from the country destroy unarmed White innocents. GRRM needs to disavow this mess. Immediately,” wrote blue-checkmarked University of Pennsylvania professor Ebony Elizabeth, an avid “Game of Thrones” fan who breathlessly live-tweeted the penultimate episode.

Elizabeth’s Twitter thread traced a gradual descent into disgust with the show. What started off as giddy excitement about the second-to-last episode of the series and admiration for Daenerys’ character, collapsed into ranting about privilege, racism, sexism and capitalism.

“Unless you’re privileged and rich, life is hard enough without seeking it from your *fantasy* stories,” Elizabeth opined.

Journalist Jose Solis saw the show’s fifth episode of the season as evidence of why “diversity” is essential.

“When people ask ‘why do we need diversity’ point them to this season of #GameofThrones, when straight white men are in charge, women are always villains, POC die, and culture gets destroyed,” the writer, whose worked has appeared in The New York Times, wrote.

Meanwhile, film director and radical queer activist B.J. Colangelo held Daenerys up as a paragon of the worst aspects of “white feminism.”

“Daenerys Targaryen is the ultimate metaphor for white feminism. Everyone holds her up like some voice of the voiceless but she only gives a **** about her own personal agenda and will destroy anyone that threatens it,” Colangelo, who is white, wrote in a tweet.

Whether it be commentary on “Game of Thrones’” depiction of feminism, immigration or gender – the show and its cast seem unable to escape the broader culture’s penchant for injecting all facets of society, no matter how frivolous or seemingly apolitical, with political or ideological significance.

My guy Robert had Tywin do it. That's why Oberyn hated the Lannisters.

When Stannis almost took the city they literally had someone to kill the women "painlessly" before Stannis and his crew raped and killed them.

Like you said Cersei blew up the Sept.

Murdering and raping civilians when a city gets sacked is the norm in this show.

What's super ironic is Dany is the only ruler that didn't allow this until King's Landling.

She finally did what every other man did before her and they called her crazy and killed her for it.

I'm not a "feminist" but that **** bothers the hell out of me.
I don’t recall the scene where Tywin murdered civilians(which episode was that so I can refresh?).
Raping the women AFTER the battle is done is the norm. Most the men do have to fight don’t they? The rest old as ****..

But comparing what Dany did to the other horrible leaders before her, shows that she wasn’t fit to lead just like the others.

Let's Talk About Daenerys Targaryen's Ending On "Game Of Thrones"
Lyanna Stark did not die for this.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/game-of-thrones-season-8-finale-daenerys-death

Well. We knew it was probably coming, and here it is: in the Season 8 finale, Jon Snow murders the woman he loves, Daenerys Targaryen, and effectively ends the Targaryen line – his own family – forever.

Coming off the back of a completely unearned turn to the dark side from Daenerys, and retconning speeches from Tyrion that cast the very deeds that made him and everyone else believe in Daenerys in a negative light – not to mention the implication that if only the men had been able to control her, things would be different – it's less of a bittersweet ending and more of an extremely sour one.

Daenerys Targaryen started her story being assaulted by her brother and raped by her husband, and she ended it by being betrayed and murdered by the man she loves – while he was literally kissing her. It reeks of misogyny, and comes as a final blow to all the fans who persisted with the show despite their reservations about its treatment of its female characters.

To be clear – this plot could have been done in a way that wasn't so sexist and damaging. But it wasn't. And making Sansa Queen in the North, Brienne a kingsguard, or sending Arya off on adventures does not make up for the way the show turned its central female character, an abuse survivor, into a crazy person and a victim in the end, without giving her plot the development it deserved to make it make sense.

Many Game of Thrones fans have been left disappointed. Here are some of their reactions...

sub-buzz-5298-1558336770-1.png

trashtrashtrash776.tumblr.com

sub-buzz-21364-1558322035-1.png

Last edited:
brienne is on the council and serves as the commander of the kings guard

yara is the leader of her of own house

cersei blew margarine bae up

sansa is the ruler of her own kingdom.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom