Official Guitar Players Thread vol. Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced

i dont really have a particalur budget...lets say 500. if thats cheap let me know. just know that i am a complete beginner and dont want to spend too much on equipment to start out.

You gotta factor in the New vs Used, Solid state vs Tube amps, wattage or how loud you need it to go etc.

Solid state amps give you the same sound from low to high, tube amps which most pros prefer will start cracking at a certain volume to give your amp a nice warm/rich sound. Tube amps are more expensive and delicate, don't know if you will move around with it a lot but those are what people want. I just bought a solid state amp for my church playing, from the ORANGE brand and i love it. But you have to try out the amp before you buy it because there isn't any advice in the world that would compensate for personal preferences.

That said, Peavey classic 30 or any peavey is what id recommend you to try out. It may be about 650 new but you can get real good ones used for 400 dollars. Its a tube amp btw.

Last edited:
No problem, amp brands in general that you really can't go wrong with that deserve honorable mentions would be Orange, Vox, Marshalls, Fenders and Rolands. Good luck and don't forget to report back with what you end up with! :smokin

Just went to a local luthier this morning to get my 1964 Guild D-50 checked out.. a friend gave it to me and it's beat to ****, but it is 50 years old. Solid sitka spruce top, Solid Brazilian Rosewood back and sides :smokin apparently that wood is extinct now.

He said it would cost from $2,000-$2,500 to get it repaired because he'd have to completely reset the neck and make me a brand new Rosewood bridge (the current one cracked and got destroyed) :frown:

He also told me that he makes his own guitars.. he said that if I played one of his, I'd "forget all about Taylor and Martin, it sounds THAT good". He said he would have one of his guitars in there tomorrow and through the week and he'd let me come play it.

While I was in there, he showed me one that he was working on for 13 months, still only finished the body. Every single piece on it was hand sanded and hand made. He said he even cut down the trees that gave them the wood to make it. Solid Red Spruce top, solid East Indian Rosewood back and sides and it was getting sent to the pentagon once it's done. He hand waxes on the lacquer used on the finish. Around $10,000 guitar.

If the guitar I test out from him sounds good enough, I'll probably start saving for him to make me my own.. :smokin

I'll post pictures of my Guild from my mobile here in a second

That aged spruce tho :smokin

Right next to Olivia, my Taylor 114CE :smile:

Last edited:
Man I need a taylor in my life. You have two gorgeous guitars and i am very interested in what that man's craftsmanship is like. Thats a lot of talk for comparing his stuff to taylors and martins but if my dude cuts down the trees himself and reads bedtime stories to the woods on a nightly basis it justifies the 10k price :lol: Let us know how it sounds! If it is bright like a taylor or "muddy" like a martin, or in between.

Man I need a taylor in my life. You have two gorgeous guitars and i am very interested in what that man's craftsmanship is like. Thats a lot of talk for comparing his stuff to taylors and martins but if my dude cuts down the trees himself and reads bedtime stories to the woods on a nightly basis it justifies the 10k price :lol: Let us know how it sounds! If it is bright like a taylor or "muddy" like a martin, or in between.

Yeah, I get so many compliments on Olivia. Me and a couple buddies went out to jam at the river not too long ago, my guitar sang louder and better sounding than anyone else's there. Half way through the song they just stopped and looked at me and said "Your guitar is sick dude. Loud as hell but still maintains that beautiful sound." I highly recommend Taylor. Pure quality.

Yeah, I won't be able to make it in today. Most likely tomorrow, though. I'll check back and let y'all know. Maybe I can get some pics or a video with it. I forgot to mention he also said that he's figured out a way to work "time" into his guitars. If it was made yesterday, he said it sounds like it's aged for 50 years. Crazy

Just found this purple Tele that Billy Gibbons plays.. :smokin probably my favorite color of all time on a Tele? CMON

201127d1381535272-billy-gibbons-next-new-esquire-forumrunner_20131011_164719-jpg

Still a noob at guitar and can never find the free time to practice :smh:

Is there anyone in the South Florida area that wouldn't mind meeting up and showing me a thing or two? I promise I'm a fast learner

That tele looks crazy!

Imagine having the money to buy all the guitars you want AND get something stupid like that :lol:

Id probably cop 5-7 guitars before I start going down the custom color way for crazy stuff

KingdomFlatbush KingdomFlatbush What do you know and where do you wanna get to? what music do you wanna play and who do you listen to?

Im in San Diego but occasional skype stuff id be happy to help

Last edited:
Tuned my Taylor half-step down because I'm going full-country lately.. it sounds beast mode. Literally sounds like what all the big country stars are playing / recording with, if not better. Gawd.

I didn't even know this thread existed. I play a Schecter Blackjack and I've been playing for around 10 years. I wish I was more consistent with my practice. I find that I am super motivated for a period of a few months where I play for like 3-4 hours a day, but then I start to lose focus/motivation and my playing becomes more inconsistent. I've been working on a lot of sweep picking and alt picking. I find that I have to really go back and examine my alternate picking if I notice that my sweep picking technique is choppy or inconsistent. It really helps with my overall picking strokes/technique

Fixed for myself :lol: :smh:

Believe me man, I've been there. I used to barely be able to play for more than half an hour in high school. I can play more now because I've had a leg injury for the past 2 and a half years so I'm at home a lot

I work so much that my playing times have had to be moved to 11PM-2AM. If I don't do it, I get withdrawals.

I play bass. I have my technique down, just trying to work on my rhythm. That's probably the hardest part of playing I reached so far. When I get better at bass, I think I'd be interested in playing rhythm guitar.

spizike231 spizike231 what artist or songs do you play that are country? I'm intrigued

My practice has started up again but I really have to be into it. I can't pick up the guitar for fun that often anymore since I am back at studying and learning things and occasionally you get frustrated. But I'm doing the fusion jazz stuff as of now but hopefully i can venture into gospel.

Today i started listening to Snarky Puppy and their guitar player here can flat out play those gospel runs

Last edited:
spizike231 spizike231 what artist or songs do you play that are country? I'm intrigued

I'm playing a bunch of Justin Moore right now. A song called Small Town USA, Like There's No Tomorrow, I Could Kick Your *****, etc. a lot of his songs are half-step down.

In standard tuning though, you can capo onto 1st fret and play a lot of Zac Brown Band songs, Luke Bryan songs are always good if you pick the right ones. (Drink a Beer, Play it Again, etc.)

I've tried playing some Brad Paisley because I love his music, but his rhythm and scale comprehension is ridiculous. SMH

Tim McGraw songs are classic too :smokin

Take it from me, yall- Women LOVE a guitar-slingin country player. :nthat:

what string brands do you guys like? i've been playing with daddarios for a while kinda want to experiment with other brands

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom