Official Guitar Players Thread vol. Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced

i said the same thing too at first...and now i'm tryin to get an acoustic plus i listen to acoustic covers a lot more now :lol:

thanks for the advice jyabbs, i just read it now

:lol:

This really is just preference but I feel like electric just has more soul in it. Almost like your pouring your soul out into the guitar. Weird, I know.
Maybe I don't listen to enough acoustic.

Since I'm not really into acoustic music I think I am just going to get an electric.

Any recommendations for a guitar/amp combo? My budget will be around $400.

I really just want to play this :wow:

Get a used MIM Tele/Strat from Craigslist or Guitarcenter pre-owned section for $250-300. That leaves you around $100-150 and you are pretty much limited to a solid state amp like a Fender Mustang II $170 (w/15% discount).

IMHO, I would bump my budget to $500 and go with a used MIM tele/strat and go with a Fender Excelsior tube amp $255 (w/15% discount). Other options you may go with is PRS SE Soapbar II or PRS SE Custom 22/24 which go around $250-350 (used) or Ibanez semi/hollowbody guitars which are great value for around the same range.

thanks for the advice jyabbs, i just read it now

No problem man, let me know what you get.

:lol:

This really is just preference but I feel like electric just has more soul in it. Almost like your pouring your soul out into the guitar. Weird, I know.
Maybe I don't listen to enough acoustic.

Dude if you get a decent acoustic, you don't need to worry about getting a good amp (@ least $300). You can get by with a decent guitar but you need a decent amp to sound good. With an acoustic, all you need is the guitar itself. Save yourself some money and get a Takamine or Seagull S6. They are great guitars for cheap and you should be able to get a decent gig bag with the remaining change. Make sure you get yourself a tuner, stand, capo, strap, and some picks.

Since I'm not really into acoustic music I think I am just going to get an electric.

Any recommendations for a guitar/amp combo? My budget will be around $400.

It really depends on the style of guitar/sound you want

if you want a stratocaster/telecaster style guitar/fender sound then the suggestions above are pretty good, although i dont think a beginner really needs a MIM but if youre thinking long term then yeah, but also you could go the Les Paul route, thicker sound from humbuckers, different shape/feel, and you could have a nice Epiphone Les Paul(250-350 Brand New) and a nice amp(150$) for 4-500, again it all depends on the sound you want, style of music you want to play, and style of guitar you like

It really depends on the style of guitar/sound you want

if you want a stratocaster/telecaster style guitar/fender sound then the suggestions above are pretty good, although i dont think a beginner really needs a MIM but if youre thinking long term then yeah, but also you could go the Les Paul route, thicker sound from humbuckers, different shape/feel, and you could have a nice Epiphone Les Paul(250-350 Brand New) and a nice amp(150$) for 4-500, again it all depends on the sound you want, style of music you want to play, and style of guitar you like

Blues Blues Blues.

P4L

Never new this thread existed a year ago.. I just started learning guitar, will read through..

I've been playing a lot more lately.. very happy about that.

Been playing this song a LOT, can't seem to get it out of my head. I love acoustic w/ soul.

This is a cover of the original, but I love the raw talent here. Especially w/ his voice.

Last edited:
Also, here's "something for the playaz" from John Mayer himself.

Can't believe the ease he plays this with.

I mirrored a lot of my playing from him. So much to the point where I kinda wish I diversified my options more and copied cats like Joe Pass, Gutherie Govan, Pat Metheny and your token gospel player :lol:

The ladies loved it though :smokin

Tele or a strat. MiM. Its how I got started. Speaking of blues

Derek Truck's solo and Joe Bonamassa's are insane

Bonamassa. :smokin :smokin :smokin

Ever since that King of Blues video I posted w/ him and Warren Haynes, I can't stop dropping my jaw at his playing.

Last edited:
Sorry if it feels like I shoot this thread up w/ a lot of JM, but I think that he's a great modern influence.

Here he is with one of the greats, and some of his best playing IMO. :smokin

Last edited:
New member to my guitar family :smile:

its going to replace my boss blues driver pedal
It has the fattest sounding fuzz a guitar can make

Ill post vids soon

Happy holidays!

i have secret santa with my fam, and i got my uncle who likes to play. 10$ max, any ideas? even if it isnt strictly guitar related...i dont think i can do much with 10$. might have to cop a concert dvd or something.

i have secret santa with my fam, and i got my uncle who likes to play. 10$ max, any ideas? even if it isnt strictly guitar related...i dont think i can do much with 10$. might have to cop a concert dvd or something.

Capo, his favorite strings, clip on tuner, guitar stand, his favorite picks, string changer, songbook? Might be able to get him some picks and a set of strings for $10

get him some dunlop jazz 3 picks 
nthat.gif
 best picks i have ever used. or get him a set of his favorite strings

thanks for the suggestions guys. im sure he has a capo. clip on tuner sounds cool. i dont think i can find out what strings he likes without causing suspicion. i did some searching, im surprised picks can go for more than 5 bucks. are they really that different from each other? i dont use em.

Picks shouldnt be that expensive. If he rocks an acoustic guitar with steel strings, he would love the sounds of elixr strings. they run 13 bucks though. A clip on tuner or a guitar strap (so much variety with those) could work

i got my guitar amp....but i'm getting a weird static, humming, high frequency noise ...i'm guessing it's the cable i'm using?

or is it normal

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply, but Yessir, try mogami cables, lifetime warranty and pros use them often. The cheapest mogami cables do the trick. I bought new cables that were from a different brand and they crapped out right away. It could also be the nut either on the amp or your guitar may be lose but it shouldnt be a hard fix if that was the case

Ill go ahead and leave this though :lol: might as well.

Back
Top Bottom