Official Guitar Players Thread vol. Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced

clockwise from top to bottom is boss rc 20 loop, adrenalinn iii pedal (crazy effects for hip hop and drum beats etc its amazing), dunlop wah,

boss blues breaker for tone, autowah, then line 6 DL4 digital delay pedal, adds so much sustain and delay its :smokin

I just bought the case and powersupply to power all of them through a single outlet as opposed to each one individually

Last edited:
Any tips for a beginner?

Just decided to pick up the hobby cause its something that I've always wanted to learn. Will post pics of my guitar when I get home. I have knowledge of what the different chords are, just not any good at transitioning from one to another.

Regarding chords and what chords go together, a set of 4 that comes to mind is the simple
C-Am-F-G (Fall For You by Secondhand Serenade, seen it on numerous other songs too)
or Bm-A-D-G (She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5)

As you progress and learn a lot more songs, you'll see that songs stick to the same bunches of chords because the follow music laws, on top of sounding right together.

As far as regular tips for beginners, just play and enjoy your time if you have it. Find every new challenge interesting and motivate yourself to conquer it.. i never thought id be able to bend well or hammer-on correctly, but if you keep hacking at it you can teach yourself anything. Good luck bro

clockwise from top to bottom is boss rc 20 loop, adrenalinn iii pedal (crazy effects for hip hop and drum beats etc its amazing), dunlop wah,

boss blues breaker for tone, autowah, then line 6 DL4 digital delay pedal, adds so much sustain and delay its :smokin

I just bought the case and powersupply to power all of them through a single outlet as opposed to each one individually

Ballin dude :smokin Been trynna find fun but novice acoustic songs to learn lately, just got new strings on Olivia (my Taylor) so she sounds amazing

Ballin dude :smokin Been trynna find fun but novice acoustic songs to learn lately, just got new strings on Olivia (my Taylor) so she sounds amazing

what kinda artist you like maybe i can throw some at you. Acoustic guitar i think the proudest moment i had was learning Angelina by Tommy Emmanuel, but if youre just getting started i can totally suggest a few here and there

If anyone needs tabs or chord charts for songs that they can't find on ultimate guitar. Let me know. Also for beginners, try getting a capo. It will help in learning songs without the difficult chord shapes. They might be in a different key but they work depending on your vocal range.

wow i picked up my first ever guitar a few weeks back and been addicted since...its a real fun instrument and convenient because i could just pick it up and play it asap

i dont have an amp yet so ive been using my usb audio interface :lol: .....but the guitar is slightly loud enough so i dont have to plug it in

im gettin better with changing chords while playin....its easy to practice cuz its fun to learn new songs.....my only prob is the bar chords cuz i got tiny hands (cant hold a whopper) and i still have trouble pushin hard enough on the strings. My fingers are still hurting, i thought they'd toughen up by now

also i want an acoustic now because i've been playing my dads acoustic guitar learning all my fav songs....any suggestions on an acoustic with good value?

Last edited:
wow i picked up my first ever guitar a few weeks back and been addicted since...its a real fun instrument and convenient because i could just pick it up and play it asap

i dont have an amp yet so ive been using my usb audio interface
laugh.gif
.....but the guitar is slightly loud enough so i dont have to plug it in

im gettin better with changing chords while playin....its easy to practice cuz its fun to learn new songs.....my only prob is the bar chords cuz i got tiny hands (cant hold a whopper) and i still have trouble pushin hard enough on the strings. My fingers are still hurting, i thought they'd toughen up by now

also i want an acoustic now because i've been playing my dads acoustic guitar learning all my fav songs....any suggestions on an acoustic with good value?
have that guitar too it was my first, if you're looking for an amp you should go to guitar center and try to find a used peavey VYPYR 15 or Line 6 spider amp. a new one goes for 100 but you should be able to find 1 for 60.

saw this post on the 1st page, gonna pick up my acoustic right now :pimp:

ultimate guitar has the hits, but sometimes youll have to mix and match different tabs to get a better sounding version. and capos are so necessary

anyone else fingerpick/fingerstyle? im a big lindsey buckingham guy, got 'landslide' pretty much down cold. trying to learn 'ill be' by edwin mccain but dudes hands must be ginormous to play those chords :lol:

any suggestions for fingerpicking acoustic songs? :D

Last edited:
saw this post on the 1st page, gonna pick up my acoustic right now :pimp:

ultimate guitar has the hits, but sometimes youll have to mix and match different tabs to get a better sounding version. and capos are so necessary

anyone else fingerpick/fingerstyle? im a big lindsey buckingham guy, got 'landslide' pretty much down cold. trying to learn 'ill be' by edwin mccain but dudes hands must be ginormous to play those chords :lol:

any suggestions for fingerpicking acoustic songs? :D

Fingerpicking song i love to play is Blackbird by the Beatles. Gorgeous song acoustically- i always get compliments when i play it outside :tongue:

i dont have an amp yet so ive been using my usb audio interface :lol: .....but the guitar is slightly loud enough so i dont have to plug it in

whats your budget?

I NEED ADVICE YOOOO

Soooo.. my vocal instructor that i haven't spoken to in about a year just started to talk to me again. She went MIA for personal reasons and had to deal with some things, but she's back and I'm going to start taking lessons again and hopefully improve tremendously. We've hung out a couple of times and are catching up a lot. We met at Guitar Center the last time and she watched me fool around with some nice guitars.

My issue is that she wants to buy me my current dream guitar.. a $2,999 Taylor. Please check spoiler for the specific model. She knows that I am in love with the guitar and says that 3 grand is cheap for her. She wants to "spoil me".

The problem? My girlfriend is hurt that she can't buy it for me because we don't have the money for something like that right now. She doesn't think she'd ever be able to buy something like that for me and shes sad that someone else is doing it.

I'm leaning towards letting my instructor buy it for me because the way she was talking about it is that she actually genuinely wants to get it for me and doesn't mind at all. It's a gift. She has a husband and 2 kids before any of yall start thinkin its somethin odd. :lol:

What would you guys do? What do you think?

Pic for those who wanna see
Taylor 614CE
Solid Sitka Spruce top, Solid Maple back and sides.
Gold Taylor Guitar Tuners, beautiful inlays, Taylor's Expression System, and Ebony fretboard. It's a dream.

Last edited:

Posted this in a few other threads but forgot about this one :lol:

Gave it a shot enjoy 8)

:wow:

Damn man, smooth playing! Your blues and scales are down pretty good.

Only criticism I have is that you came off that one long bend a little rough. I love hitting those long bends too. You killed it on that track. Ever think of playing in a band?

I NEED ADVICE YOOOO

Soooo.. my vocal instructor that i haven't spoken to in about a year just started to talk to me again. She went MIA for personal reasons and had to deal with some things, but she's back and I'm going to start taking lessons again and hopefully improve tremendously. We've hung out a couple of times and are catching up a lot. We met at Guitar Center the last time and she watched me fool around with some nice guitars.

My issue is that she wants to buy me my current dream guitar.. a $2,999 Taylor. Please check spoiler for the specific model. She knows that I am in love with the guitar and says that 3 grand is cheap for her. She wants to "spoil me".

The problem? My girlfriend is hurt that she can't buy it for me because we don't have the money for something like that right now. She doesn't think she'd ever be able to buy something like that for me and shes sad that someone else is doing it.

I'm leaning towards letting my instructor buy it for me because the way she was talking about it is that she actually genuinely wants to get it for me and doesn't mind at all. It's a gift. She has a husband and 2 kids before any of yall start thinkin its somethin odd. :lol:

What would you guys do? What do you think?

Pic for those who wanna see
Taylor 614CE
Solid Sitka Spruce top, Solid Maple back and sides.
Gold Taylor Guitar Tuners, beautiful inlays, Taylor's Expression System, and Ebony fretboard. It's a dream.

Yo, Ive been playing for 10 years and Im low key salty that someone is getting you my dream acoustic :lol:

IDK what your financial state is, or your girls, or know the exact details of the story so ill refrain from giving my advice. But if your girl really wanted to help you get it you can just get the taylor and then say you want something else (less expensive) and ramble about how bad you want it. Something she can afford like an effect pedal and maybe she'll feel good about getting you that.

$200 ish

depending how much i could sell some of these shoes for

Usually from what I heard, when brands that make high end guitar makers like fender or gibsons scoop down into the 100 to 200 dollar levels, they cheapen their qualities, however when you get brands that dont specialize in the area as much like yamahas, or small brands like mitchell or SUNLITE (good brand for 100 buck acoustic imo), given that the highest price they'll usually sell is around 300 their 200 dollar guitars are midrange in qualities as opposed to fenders and bigger brands.

:wow:

Damn man, smooth playing! Your blues and scales are down pretty good.

Only criticism I have is that you came off that one long bend a little rough. I love hitting those long bends too. You killed it on that track. Ever think of playing in a band?

Thanks fam :smokin yeah im aware of that nasty release on the bend :x lol thats the most distortion i ever use to be honest. Im more of a clean player. Recently became a jazz studies major so i played in a jazz big band last semester. It was intense on the sight reading.

as for local bands yeah plenty have come calling but none have been to serious that would make me want to join. Im in SD if i find something promising ill hop aboard. I have a lot to offer.

I tried playing on a buddy's Maestro but I suck at it. Couldn't even play a single chord.... :lol:

:lol: man i was the worst guitar player ever when i first started playing. Keep at it if you ever get a chance we're here for support! and REP for your avy because i am a fan of Ron Perlman and that movie too :smokin

Last edited:
:lol: man i was the worst guitar player ever when i first started playing. Keep at it if you ever get a chance we're here for support! and REP for your avy because i am a fan of Ron Perlman and that movie too :smokin

Man you really got to press down hard on the strings. On top of that you can not have your fingers overlap other strings. Which I kept doing. I was interested in learning but I think if I do pick up a guitar I'll jump straight into an electric guitar. :smokin

thanks for the help

ive been wanting to try those expensive guitars, i never played one yet but from just lookin i could tell that they're built a whole lot better....one day i'll grab one

$200 ish

depending how much i could sell some of these shoes for

I usually recommend trying before you buy the guitar so you can get the feel of the instrument, weight, sounds, etc. I highly recommend looking at the guitar center used gear search tool which allows you to see what your local GC has in stock. Most of the time you can get some good deals and even might have a little room to negotiate if you see flaws (point them out) but the down side is you have to pay tax. If you are a little more adventurous, I would try Craigslist. I probably saved around $700 buying used. The trick is spotting the good deals and finding ones in great condition but most importantly playable. Always remember to negotiate on the price and do your meetups at the local music store to test out everything like the pickups and compare them to the floor models. With some digging I was able to pick up a fender mexi tele for $325, fender mexi strat for $250, and my ibanez AFS75T (hollowbody) for $240 all in great condition and play great.

If you want to buy new I have a few recommendations and tips. For $200, I recommend the Yamaha FG700S. It gets great reviews and is often recommended as a good beginner acoustic that doesn't suck. Buy it on musician friend but call them first to see if you can get a discount, just say I am interested in this guitar whats the best price I can get. You can usually get 10% off easy but aim for 15-20%. Just say that price is a concern or this other store gave me this price (be realistic), can you match it or beat it? Another acoustic I recommend is a takamine G340SC (solid top = fuller sound) which is around $300 new but at MF, they have a used one for $240 and should be knocked down further to $204 (15% discount). Plus MF, doesn't charge sales tax (depending on your state) and has free shipping. I personally love takamine, great quality at a great price. I myself have a EG340SC (electo-acoustic) and love the way it sounds and plays. My pops got the EG345C (12 String) and it plays great too.

Takamine:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...ay-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar?condition=used

Yamaha
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fg700s-folk-acoustic-guitar

Yo, Ive been playing for 10 years and Im low key salty that someone is getting you my dream acoustic :lol:

IDK what your financial state is, or your girls, or know the exact details of the story so ill refrain from giving my advice. But if your girl really wanted to help you get it you can just get the taylor and then say you want something else (less expensive) and ramble about how bad you want it. Something she can afford like an effect pedal and maybe she'll feel good about getting you that.

We are struggling to pay rent.. my girl got hurt at work and is currently getting screwed over by workers comp peeps so she's not working and idk how we're gonna make rent this month.

Cliffnotes -

-Old vocal instructor talks to me after over a year, we were close friends before she ran into problems and got accused of some things that she didn't do.
-She had to go to court, won a big settlement for being accused and harassed.
-We've seen each other multiple times since reconnecting and have caught up.
-Vocal instructor wanted the D before, still wants it.
-She knows she can't have it, but likes me and wants to see me happy.
-I'm stressing over rent and money and stuff.
-We met at Guitar Center to talk and she saw how much I liked the guitar.
-She said "Let me spoil you." and that "that much money is cheap to me right now."
-Tell my girl, she gets upset and says she's hurt that she can't get it for me and that she won't be able to ever.
-Birthday is coming up. August 10.

What should i do? What would you do?

Since I'm not really into acoustic music I think I am just going to get an electric.

Any recommendations for a guitar/amp combo? My budget will be around $400.

I really just want to play this :wow:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom