OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by True Blues

Why not? What does Torres contribute to the game? Literally every one of his hits is either a charge or a head shot. Let's revisit some of his greatest hits in the last two years:

And his most recent:

I feel the same about Torres as I did Cooke last year. Throw the book at him.
couldn't have said it better myself; it is also one year since the incident last year...he NEVER learns and is a journeyman first round bust; the NHL would be okay if he never suited up for another game

Your very own captain is arguably one of the dirtiest/most hated players in NHL history.  Where's your argument against him? 

when has he ever done anything like Torres? you are changing the argument now

Ahh...ok.  Didn't know that about Prosser.  Or the fact that time had expired on the clock when he hit Murray.  As far as Hejda, he looked like he put himself in a compromising position by crouching over at the last moment.  I don't put that one on Torres at all.  He has a rep.  No denying that, and he deserves whatever he gets from the league as far as punishment for his hit on Hossa.  However, banning him from the game forever is idiotic.  I'm all for a 5+ game suspension for what he did last night, and if he keeps it up, tack on 15 games...20 games...OR at the very worst, a full year suspension.  He'll learn. 

Also, for as brutal as the playoffs have been this year...it's gotten people to actually talk about the league who wouldn't normally talk about or watch the sport (like the article said).  The game is evolving and players are becoming bigger/stronger/faster.  It's like that in basketball, baseball, and football.  There is no comparison of the nHL to the NFL because they have been much more proactive in player safety.  THere are boneheaded plays like we saw out of Asham and Torres, but for the most part...the physicality of the NHL playoffs this year has been a plus.  May sound insensitive, but I'm sure the NHL is loving every minute of this.  For every fan that's turned off by what they're seeing, there are 5 more who will tune in.  I'm a diehard Caps fan, but the Pens/Flyers series has been my #1 sporting even to watch out of the NHL playoffs, NBA, or MLB.  I'm tuned in because of how great it's been to watch.    

I agree, I love the physicality of hockey. Checking and fighting have always been two of the most thrilling aspects of the game, and should remain so. Like many, I've also been drawn to this year's playoffs (mind you, I'd have watched every single game regardless-- as I have for almost every year of my life).

BUT, and this is a big caveat, I have zero patience for players who show a continued disregard for the rules, and more importantly, their peers. There are a few of them in the NHL now: Cooke is (or was) one of those guys-- and was eventually suspended-- and so too is Torres.

If the goal of the NHL Department of Player Safety is to alter behaviour, they have absolutely failed in the case of Raffi Torres.

couldn't have said it better myself; it is also one year since the incident last year...he NEVER learns and is a journeyman first round bust; the NHL would be okay if he never suited up for another game

Your very own captain is arguably one of the dirtiest/most hated players in NHL history.  Where's your argument against him? 

when has he ever done anything like Torres? you are changing the argument now

You have a glass half full viewpoint of this....Pronger served an 8 game suspension for stomping on Ryan Kesler's leg. 

My point is this...you have players on your own Flyers team who play just as dirty as Torres.  Where's the outcry? 

BUT, and this is a big caveat, I have zero patience for players who show a continued disregard for the rules, and more importantly, their peers. There are a few of them in the NHL now: Cooke is (or was) one of those guys-- and was eventually suspended-- and so too is Torres.

If the goal of the NHL Department of Player Safety is to alter behaviour, they have absolutely failed in the case of Raffi Torres.

And I hear everything you're saying....but a LIFETIME ban?  That, I don't agree with....which was the crux of my argument.  I'm all for whatever suspension Torres gets for what he did to Hossa...but a lifetime ban is OD. 

Haha, yeah, a lifetime ban was reactionary and completely unrealistic, but I think 20-30 games is justified.

hit wasnt even that bad... had he not jumped so high he had him in the chest... he meant to punish him sure but not kill him

hossas a (())

shoulder to the chest/chin. had he not jumped you could argue the impact would have been greater

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

hit wasnt even that bad... had he not jumped so high he had him in the chest... he meant to punish him sure but not kill him

hossas a (())

shoulder to the chest/chin. had he not jumped you could argue the impact would have been greater
laugh.gif

I'd like to see go out there and skate around if your calling Hossa a *$$*!.

Get the #$*! outta here with that. had he not jumped? he did and he is a repeat offender. Some of the hits posted were clean, but more then 2 were extremely dirty and he needs to be made example of. Just like Matt Cooke was. Torres is such a goon.

hossas a (())

You're missing the point. Torres leaving his feet IS THE HIT.

And no, elevating towards a player not only creates contact with the head, but increases the force of the check. (I learned this when I was 10 in checking school.) The additional force and inherent danger created by leaving your feet is the rationale for why it is a penalty at every level of hockey.

Originally Posted by True Blues

hossas a (())

You're missing the point. Torres leaving his feet IS THE HIT.

suspension for the remainder of the year is fair imo

I'm not looking at it half full, this is gonna be Torres third suspension in one years time. I don't even like Chris Pronger, I said he was done and the team would be better off without him in this thread earlier this year.

And how was the hit not that bad Jee? He ollied like he was P-Rod, do you not understand the rules?

Finally the Daily News cover is corny to me but that paper is more like a tabloid, the Inquier is the legit paper in town

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Cooke WAS that type. Someone or something finally got through to him (Mario?)
That suspension last year.  Dude was literally in tears getting interviewed when they lost.  He felt like he let his teammates down big time and felt like he owed them and he did.  Would've won that series with him.  Totally turned himself around.  You hope that players of that style get these big suspensions and turn it around.

im not sayin he deserves to go scott free fellas... BUT these hits happen all the time at every level... it was open ice, woulda been fine had he not lunged... but its tough to tell a 4th liner to not take that oppurtunity... i dont agree with it and think the game would be better w/o these goons but fact remains... Hossas terry cloth. theres a reason this is first healthy season in half a decade. hes a physical specimen but a (())

im not sayin he deserves to go scott free fellas... BUT these hits happen all the time at every level... it was open ice, woulda been fine had he not lunged... but its tough to tell a 4th liner to not take that oppurtunity... i dont agree with it and think the game would be better w/o these goons but fact remains... Hossas terry cloth. theres a reason this is first healthy season in half a decade. hes a physical specimen but a (())
this is some seriously bad logic; I can make up hypotheticals too
if Hossa was 3 ft tall he would have flown over him and everything would have been fine...calling the dude terry cloth and a (())? 
laugh.gif

Let's see you take that defenseless hit; he is at least a foot off the ice; I bet if that was #87 on the Pens you'd think differently 

s
Torres-Hit-On-Hossa-628x353.jpg

Originally Posted by SCuse7

hossas a (())

laugh.gif

I'd like to see go out there and skate around if your calling Hossa a *$$*!.

Get the #$*! outta here with that. had he not jumped? he did and he is a repeat offender. Some of the hits posted were clean, but more then 2 were extremely dirty and he needs to be made example of. Just like Matt Cooke was. Torres is such a goon.

I have to agree with SCuse7 on this.

jewsee...you can't keep saying, it was only bad cause he jumped. no *#%%, sherlock
laugh.gif

the whole issue is that he jumped, which helped contributed to the head contact. now if you're saying lifetime ban is outrageous, i agree 100%. but the hit was terrible. and that would have knocked out half the dudes in the league, so if half the league is full of charmin, then fine, hossa is charmin soft.

you guys are rediculous... this happens all the time... its jus not on center stage in the playoffs...

Hossas not a (()) b/c he couldnt get up after getting DEVISTATED... hes a (()) b/c hes been soft his WHOLE career... not practicing, missing mad games every year... hes a diva, like cindy. and no I wouldnt cry like yall for Cindy if he got lined up in the neutral zone like that.

it happens...

^ you realize that this year has been completely different than past years in terms of hits to the head right? it's why matt cooke has changed his game. you're acting like scott stevens would play today and not get a penalty for half those hits
laugh.gif

since 06-07...

2006-07 ATL 60
2007-08 PIT 12
2008-09 DET 74
2009-10 CHI 57
2010-11 CHI 65
2011-12 CHI 81

he had a 4 year stretch in ottawa of playing sandless snatch ever since... band aid boy. always crying about some injury missing practice and giving half assed efforts. hes supposed to be one of the best players in the league... size,speed,skill, (())

you guys are rediculous... this happens all the time... its jus not on center stage in the playoffs...

Hossas not a (()) b/c he couldnt get up after getting DEVISTATED... hes a (()) b/c hes been soft his WHOLE career... not practicing, missing mad games every year... hes a diva, like cindy. and no I wouldnt cry like yall for Cindy if he got lined up in the neutral zone like that.

it happens...

seriously you are clueless; nice video of hits from primarilythe 90's and early 2000's before concussions started to become a MAJOR concern
I think we should next tell players they can't wear helmets and see how many people we can get to die in a season; maybe award the Annual Eric Lindros Trophy for the player who can collect the most concussions in a season
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom