OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Kopi! Dude is such a beast
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by frink85

Kopi! Dude is such a beast
pimp.gif

Finally getting his shine on in the playoffs.  Everyone will know how to properly pronounce his name after these playoffs.  
laugh.gif

Have I mentioned how much Jon Quick has saved this team before?  
pimp.gif

Best of luck to Nick in retirement.

One the best blue-liners of all-time.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Lidstrom announces retirement after 20 NHL seasons[/h1][h2]The Associated Press[/h2][h3]5/31/2012 12:35:45 PM[/h3]
DETROIT -- Defenceman Nicklas Lidstrom retired Thursday after 20 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings, ending one of the best careers in NHL history.

The four-time Stanley Cup champion and seven-time Norris Trophy winner fought back tears as he made the announcement.

"My drive and motivation are not where to need to be to play at this level," Lidstrom said.

The 42-year-old Lidstrom, a Swede, played for the Red Wings in each of his 20 seasons and set an NHL record by playing 1,564 games with one team. He put retirement on hold in each of the previous two years by signing one-year contracts.

"I've been dreading this day since I became manager in 1997," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said.

Lidstrom had 34 points and a plus-21 rating that ranked among the league leaders last season. He missed a career-high 11 games with a bruised right ankle and was out for another game with the flu. He had 264 career goals with 1,142 points and a 450-plus rating.

"Retiring today allows me to walk away with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me," said Lidstrom, whose oldest of four sons moved to Sweden two years ago to attend school and play hockey.

Lidstrom was named the NHL's best defenceman last year for a seventh time, matching Doug Harvey's total and trailing Bobby Orr's record by one. When Lidstrom won his final Norris Trophy last summer, he was a finalist for the 11th time in 13 seasons.

The four-time Olympian also scored the gold-medal winning goal for Sweden over Finland in 2006. He became the first European-born captain to win a Stanley Cup in 2008, six years after being the first from Europe to win the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoffs MVP.

His 6-foot-2, 190-pound body is chiseled thanks to a year-round workout that includes exercise before practice and after games along with a sensible diet that includes only occasional slices of pizza and fast food. Lidstrom's teammates call him "The Perfect Human," in part because he's as humble as he is successful on the ice.

"It's one of the most emotional days in Red Wings history with Nick retiring and all you people showing your respect for such a high-quality individual," Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch said at a packed news conference that included a slew of team employees wearing Lidstrom's No. 5 red jersey with a winged wheel.

beacon.dll

Nick lidstrom retires.

Thanks for all the memories! Growing up in the detroit area I've been blessed with great hockey. 4 stanley cups in my life time.
You will be missed. Make room for #5 in the rafters of the joe.
One of the best players ever.

Seriously when you look up the definition of 'Class', his picture should be next to it.  
Players can only dream of having a career like he did.   GL Nick.

628x471.jpg

Thomas considering a one-year sabbatical, Luongo's future still up in the air, Michel Therrien or Marc Crawford to coach MTL?, Hartley hired as Flames head coach, and more...

Spoiler [+]
INSIDER TRADING: FUTURES OF THOMAS, LUONGO AND VOKOUN
TSN
5/31/2012 8:34:37 PM

With the Stanley Cup Final under way, TSN Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun gathered in New Jersey on Thursday for the latest installment of Insider Trading. Among the topics discussed were the futures of Tim Thomas, Roberto Luongo and Tomas Vokoun, the hiring of Bob Hartley as coach in Calgary as well as the ongoing search for a head coach in Montreal and Washington and Jordan Staal's future in Pittsburgh.

Tim Thomas' Options

LeBrun: We know the Boston Bruins may potentially try and trade goaltender Tim Thomas when his no-trade clause evaporates on July 1 but among the other options I'm told Tim Thomas is considering is maybe not playing next season. I'm not saying that's going to happen for sure but I was told today that he's thinking about maybe taking the year off. It's been a stressful year for the 38-year-old, we all know about the White House controversy, and the Bruins have a #1 goalie-in-waiting in Tuukka Rask.

Luongo's Future

Dreger: Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis will talk with goaltender Roberto Luongo this week and he's trying to get a sense from him as to whether or not his views have changed on his future and for next season. The Canucks will also have scouting meetings next week and after that, they will nail down a definitive plan. I'm told Gillis is receiving interest from teams for Luongo but there's an equally strong chance that he does nothing and Luongo returns as a member of the Canucks.

What About Vokoun?

LeBrun: I know everyone wants to write off Toronto but I still think the Leafs could sneak in there if there's a rebate sale on Luongo. Other more likely names are Tomas Vokoun, who is an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and Anders Lindback in Nashville, a young backup who's a restricted free agent. It's believed Vokoun turned down a lucrative offer from the KHL because he wants to stick in the NHL and see what's out there and I think he believes Toronto could be a fit.

Looking For a Goalie?

McKenzie: I wonder if Vokoun or a veteran goaltender like him might be an option for the Philadelphia Flyers. We know they're fully committed to Ilya Bryzgalov, he's got a contract that makes them fully committed, but I also think there's a sense in Philadelphia that (Sergei) Bobrovsky is not experienced enough as the backup to work in tandem with the inconsistent Bryzgalov and that they are looking for veteran help there.

Down To Two

McKenzie: Bob Hartley was obviously a candidate in Montreal but now all the talk we're hearing is the Montreal Canadiens coaching search is likely down to two people: former Pittsburgh Penguins coach Michel Therrien and Marc Crawford. A lot of people believe that Therrien may be the frontrunner. This has been a thorough search with multiple interviews going on and that process continues but it's not likely to generate a name until next week.

Hartley in Calgary

Dreger: The Hartley hiring in Calgary is interesting, given that he had a multi-year contract with Zurich in the Swiss Elite League. The Flames aren't completely off the hook on this one, having to pay some compensation to Zurich but they will not disclose what it was; there is a confidentiality issue there. In asking general manager Jay Feaster whether the hiring of Hartley has any impact on the heavy lifting he may or may not do in the offseason, he said you don't hire a coach like Hartley if you're going to trade away your veteran players like Jarome Iginla.

Looking Within

Dreger: We know Washington Capitals general manager George McPhee is talking to some potential coaching candidates but don't discount the possibility of hiring from within. There are strong internal candidates there in Dean Evason and Jim Johnson.

Staal's Future

LeBrun: I don't think Pittsburgh Penguins centre Jordan Staal is available yet but he might be. Right now, the Penguins have received phone calls from other teams inquiring about his availability but I believe the plan in Pittsburgh is to try to sign Staal and Sidney Crosby to extensions because they're a year out from their contracts expiring. If they can't get both done and it starts to get complicated, then I think Staal is back on the table.

Dealing With Schultz

McKenzie: It's going to be very difficult for Anaheim Ducks general manager Bob Murray to make a deal involving defensive prospect Justin Schultz. He's certainly out there trying to make it happen and there's lots of teams interested. Every NHL team will want this guy when he becomes an unrestricted free agent, which is likely to happen before July 1 but I can see the Vancouver Canucks, Toronto Maple Leafs and Edmonton Oilers among others being extremely interested. But it's going to be tough for Murray to get anything for Schultz. It looks like he's going to unrestricted free agency.

Gaborik having Shoulder surgery. had a Torn Labrum for quite some time. he's a #HockeyPlayer

maybe that explains his struggles late

Based on Chiarelli's media conference call, it sounds like Thomas will not be back (will take year off or be traded):

@wyshysnkihttps://twitter.com/#!/wyshynski: Chiarelli on Thomas: "Tim came to me toward the beginning of May through his agent, and said he is seriously considering taking year off."
@MurphysLaw74: Peter Chiarelli says if Thomas doesn't play he'd be suspended and still on cap. Would use Savard's hit as cap relief.
@wyshysnkihttps://twitter.com/#!/wyshynski: Chiarelli said he has to operate under premise that Thomas not coming back. Discussions will continue w/ him
@NHLBruins:  PC: "We'd have to deal [the loss of Thomas for the season] and we will..."^BISH
@NHLBruins:  PC said that the B's would "look at" transactions, which could help the team with Thomas' cap hit.^BISH

@NHLBruins:  PC on TT: "I respect what he's trying to do...but yeah I was surprised originally."^BISH
@NHLBruins: Chiarelli on possibility of trading TT: "He's a world class goalie...he'd help somebody in a big way if he decided to play."^BISH

^ Craig Button has Subban ranked 8th in his prospect rankings, and Central Scouting has him first among NA goalies.

He'll definitely be drafted in the first round, but I doubt he'll go as high as 8th overall.

I can remember my boy playing NHL 95 with Lidstrom Konstantov dino cicarelli Yzerman and Federov

thats crazy Lidstrom played for this long

Originally Posted by True Blues

Problem is, the Bruins are still stuck with his $5M cap hit.
ugh...are you serious?

is this to block a trade or attempt to get a new contract? eff this dude, man

DSA,

It's hard to tell what Thomas is thinking. Either (a) he has legitimate family concerns or (b) he's using this as a way to decrease his trade value and thus, act as a de facto NMC.

But agreed, he's putting the Bruins in a serious bind.

^expansion really worked out. i like looking at prospect lists and seeing players coming out of southern california...its cool hah

im watching the Bettman news conference prior to game 1...he sounds so bored and monotone, like he's slogging through it and going through the motions. C'mon, son.

Seth Jones will be #1 in 2013, +@!+ that
laugh.gif

Eh, I'd say Subban is a better prospect than Dansk at least.

Back
Top Bottom