OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

They don't always come back in America.

The nba had lebron and Kobe. Hockey doesn't have as many stars that lure in the casual viewer .

NHL players to challenge lockout in Quebec, Alberta
By The Associated Press September 10, 2012

NEW YORK (AP) The NHL Players Association intends to challenge a lockout before labor boards in Quebec and Alberta, a move that if successful could force the league to pay players on the Montreal Canadiens, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers during a work stoppage.
The sport's labor contract expires at the end of Saturday and a lockout appears to be certain, which would be the league's fourth work stoppage since 1992 and first since the 2004-05 season was wiped out.
Labor law in Canada is provincial, not national. The NHLPA is not recognized as a certified union in Quebec.

We out chea :pimp:

Bs up: Tyler Seguin re-signs for six-years, $34.5m.

DSA: Where you at? We poppin' that Sammy Adams October tonight.

As awesome as those videos are, they make me more upset than anything :lol: because we're not going to get anything like that for awhile

Why is anyone blaming Bettman for this lockout? It's his job to do what's best for the owners. I'm kind of biased though, as I am firmly pro owners. If the NHLPA gets their way, there won't be a salary cap and contracts will become even more insane than they already are. Goodbye parity. The players will eventually cave though, because they stand to lose a lot more as more games are missed. The big money players will be fine financially, but the mid/low level guys can't afford to miss a whole season of their careers. That said, I think we'll have hockey by DEC/JAN.

Why is anyone blaming Bettman for this lockout? It's his job to do what's best for the owners. I'm kind of biased though, as I am firmly pro owners. If the NHLPA gets their way, there won't be a salary cap and contracts will become even more insane than they already are. Goodbye parity. The players will eventually cave though, because they stand to lose a lot more as more games are missed. The big money players will be fine financially, but the mid/low level guys can't afford to miss a whole season of their careers. That said, I think we'll have hockey by DEC/JAN.

The players aren't asking for the cap to be removed, though.

What's more, the NHLPA's first proposal actually encouraged parity through a revenue-sharing model.

Frankly, I don't understand how anyone who has been following the negotiations could favour the owners.

Last edited:
They haven't yet asked for the cap to be removed, but as this drags on it's been widely speculated that Fehr will try to get rid of the cap. He already succeeded in keeping the MLB without one and is strongly against it. Furthermore, of the 4 major sports, why is it that players in the NHL get the highest percentage of league revenue? Even worse considering they are the least profitable of the four with only a handful of teams making significant money. That said, I just don't like the way the NHLPA have handled the negotiations thus far. They've essentially made no changes off their initial offer. Not to mention that they are willing to play the season with no CBA in place and in all likelihood lockout just before the playoffs. That is a huge F U to the fans in my opinion.There are however certain aspects that both sides want out of new deal that I am in favor of. I'd like to see something like this in a new deal:
More revenue sharing
Gradually lower HRR% for the NHLPA stabilizing out around 50/50
Max contract limit of 10 years
ELC's and UFA status stay the same
Fixed cap floor and ceiling for the duration of the deal
One time amnesty clause

Although, at the end of the day, I don't give damn who "wins". I just want hockey back.

Last edited:
lucic locked up for the next 4 years :pimp:

lot of people upset with the dollars...but to be honest, he's worth the money imo. goals aren't everything...

Alexander Burmistrov among the Jets entry-level players sent to St. Johns today, it will be interesting to see if he goes because there's a lot of speculation around here that he's going to go play in Russia.

Also Jordan Eberle and RNH were sent OKC :x that team is gonna be amazing if they're there for an extended period of time

Last edited:
I've been on hiatus but I'm still catching up on this stupid lockout. I just want to see some professional hockey rather than minors or college hockey. Either way, I will be getting my puck fix.

You know what you're going to get from Lucic every single night: A physical game, a big boy who can plant his *** in front of the net everyday and a quality teammate. However, $6 million dollars is what you pay Cam Neely sans bad knees when he's in the prime of his career. He brings all the intangibles that you want in any good teammate but when it comes to dollars, it doesn't make sense. In reality, I would have given him 4 years for $3.75-4.25 per year.

Jets get Evander Kane signed right before the lockout :pimp: :pimp:

6 yrs, $31.5 million, great deal getting him locked up long term

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom