OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

phil won. i know cause he beat me in the finals
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

^Something is wrong with these enforcers man........RIP to Belak, great person on and off the ice. 
tired.gif

Wade Belak has reportedly been found dead in his Toronto condo.
Belak appeared in 15 games with the Nashville Predators this past season, racking up 18 penalty minutes. In 549 career games played between the Leafs, Predators, Colorado Avalanche, Calgary Flames and Florida Panthers, Belak had eight goals, 25 assists and 1263 penalty minutes.

The former Maple Leaf was set to take part in the CBC program "Battle of the Blades."

Bruins' Savard pronounced out for the season.

Boston Bruins forward Marc Savard may have played his last NHL game.

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli delivered some bleak news to a Boston newspaper on Wednesday.

"Marc Savard won't play this year," Chiarelli told the Boston Globe. "Nothing has changed in our monitoring. He'll be examined and he'll be declared unfit to play.

"Based on what I see, what I hear, what I read, and what I'm told, it's very unlikely Marc will play again," Chiarelli said.

The 34-year-old centre had 10 points in 25 games last season before missing the rest of the year with a concussion.

He was originally hurt by a check from Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke on March 7, 2010.

After missing training camp with post-concussion syndrome, Savard battled his way back into the lineup only to be felled by a hit from former teammate Matt Hunwick in the second period of a January contest.

"Now, knowing the uncertainty of this injury, there's always a chance (he could play)," continued Chiarelli. "But based on what I'm told, it's very unlikely he'll play. As an employer, I support him and hope he gets back to living a healthy life."

On August 1, Savard had his day with the Stanley Cup and told TSN about his continuing health problems.

"It's obviously been a long road for me; I'm still suffering with a lot of daily issues right now, it's been a tough go," said Savard. "I'm just trying to get through and not worry about hockey right now, just worry about my health because I have three young kids and they're important to me."

Savard is signed through the 2016-17 season.

Damn
frown.gif
so random. also at savard
frown.gif
dude still doesn't get his name on the cup right?

Originally Posted by cquan05

Bruins' Savard pronounced out for the season.

Boston Bruins forward Marc Savard may have played his last NHL game.

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli delivered some bleak news to a Boston newspaper on Wednesday.

"Marc Savard won't play this year," Chiarelli told the Boston Globe. "Nothing has changed in our monitoring. He'll be examined and he'll be declared unfit to play.

"Based on what I see, what I hear, what I read, and what I'm told, it's very unlikely Marc will play again," Chiarelli said.

The 34-year-old centre had 10 points in 25 games last season before missing the rest of the year with a concussion.

He was originally hurt by a check from Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke on March 7, 2010.

After missing training camp with post-concussion syndrome, Savard battled his way back into the lineup only to be felled by a hit from former teammate Matt Hunwick in the second period of a January contest.

"Now, knowing the uncertainty of this injury, there's always a chance (he could play)," continued Chiarelli. "But based on what I'm told, it's very unlikely he'll play. As an employer, I support him and hope he gets back to living a healthy life."

On August 1, Savard had his day with the Stanley Cup and told TSN about his continuing health problems.

"It's obviously been a long road for me; I'm still suffering with a lot of daily issues right now, it's been a tough go," said Savard. "I'm just trying to get through and not worry about hockey right now, just worry about my health because I have three young kids and they're important to me."

Savard is signed through the 2016-17 season.

tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

sad

sosly, i think we petitioned for his name on there and i think they got it done, not 100% sure tho. i know he got the cup for a couple days though and got to celebrate with friends.

Originally Posted by cquan05

^Something is wrong with these enforcers man........RIP to Belak, great person on and off the ice. 
tired.gif

Wade Belak has reportedly been found dead in his Toronto condo.
Belak appeared in 15 games with the Nashville Predators this past season, racking up 18 penalty minutes. In 549 career games played between the Leafs, Predators, Colorado Avalanche, Calgary Flames and Florida Panthers, Belak had eight goals, 25 assists and 1263 penalty minutes.

The former Maple Leaf was set to take part in the CBC program "Battle of the Blades."

jeezus
30t6p3b.gif

RIP

/\ and players careers being severely derailed by concussions
frown.gif

think it might be safe to say now that the NHL has a bigger problem than it lets on...

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

/\ and players careers being severely derailed by concussions
frown.gif

think it might be safe to say now that the NHL has a bigger problem than it lets on...

I think after the dust settles, the NHL (and fans) need to step back and really re-evaluate what's going on with their players.  There are a lot of knee-jerk reactions from folks calling the end to fighting amongst other things.  What people aren't understanding is that Boogaard died from a lethal mix of alcohol and pain killers, Rypien had been battling mental-health issues, and now we have Belak (RIP), who we don't know what (if any) demons he was battling off the ice. 

Honestly, I think the sport is great the way it is.  Not much needs to be changed and the NHL has done a good job in the past year or so in really looking out for player's safety.  If anything, what they can re-vamp is their player education programs as far as helping guys deal with their issues away from the rink.  That can go for mental-health, substance abuse, etc. 

*Dustin Byfuglien was arrested for boating while intoxicated in Minnesota last night....here's the kicker.  He weighed in at 286. 
eek.gif

Wow, what the hell is going on in the hockey world?

RIP to Belak, extremely disturbing to hear the way he went out.

WOW at 286 pounds. Well Buff did look like he put on a couple pounds during the draft. But damn.

A friend of mine was telling me he was listening to an interview with Belak in which he was asked "Where do you see yourself in 10 years".......his reply was: "Dead (laughs).....no um hopefully still playing in the NHL".....
ohwell.gif

I don't know, but this kind of response makes me think he was battling something inside of him in which he told NOBODY about. You don't really joke about that unless there's some sort of basis behind that answer.

ovie's going back to bauer too right? bring back a limited edition Nike Bauer? 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by sosly

ovie's going back to bauer too right? bring back a limited edition Nike Bauer? 
nerd.gif

Yeah....he HATED the CCM sticks....he would use Semin's Bauer's out of frustration last year. 

I really hope Nike puts him in a national ad.  Dude has a great personality. 

Back
Top Bottom