Official HTC Thread Vol. Scribe, Thunderbolt 4G, Evo Shift 4G, Inspire 4G for AT&T

With all the problems the N1 has had with T-Mobile, if I was anyone on Sprint or AT&T I'd wait a bit to see if these problems are still there. Even with the "fix" they did, the problems might still be there with it coming to these other carriers. A lot of people on androidforums feel this way. Hopefully there are no problems with it tho.

The HD2 will NOT get windows 7 update tho. That is a major bummer for those who were hoping.

The Incredible for Verizon is going to be a Beast. Confirmed Specs as of right now, until more is said this upcoming week at CTIA.

Confirmed:
1 Ghz Snapdragon processor (QSD8650) (245 Mhz at idle)
RAM - 512 MB (320 usable...like N1...more to become available with OS update)
ROM - 512MB flash + 8GB moviNANDe
8 MP camera (Dual flash and AF)
Android 2.1
Sense UI (w/ Friendstream)
Optical track pad (vs. "ball")
3.7 inch screen

WVGA resolution
AMOLED

1300 MaH battery
FM Tuner
802.11 b/g
Dimensions: 117.5 mm (L) x 58.5 mm (w) x 11.9 mm (T)
No 720p recording
No multitouch BUG as found in N1

Unconfirmed:
8GB MicroSDHC card
RAM - Possibly 1 gig...further confirmation needed
Noise canceling dual mic? (like on Nexus One)
Release date: March, 27th, 2010 (in inventory systems starting March 23rd) Note: This is still being vetted for additional sources but enough evidence so far to post...will be moved to confirmed once more is known

[h1]Instant Messaging Application Extracted from T-Mobile HD2[/h1]
File under: News

By: Anton D. Nagy | Date: 20-Mar-10 | 6 Comments

OzIMServ.jpg

T-Mobile branded devices, pretty much like any other operator version, come with lots of preloaded applications and one of them is OzIM, an Instant Messaging application some of you might already know from the past.

OzIMWorking.jpg

The highly anticipated T-Mobile HD2 comes with this application which was successfully extracted from the ROM. It supports AIM, Google Talk, Windows Live Messenger, MySpace IM and Yahoo Messenger. If you have a data plan and you're a heavy IMer, you might find this useful. Just download and install it to your device; you need to select the services to be used at first boot but you will have this option again later on in the Settings.

OzIMAbout.jpg

Got to play with one today at Beverly Hills Tmobile, this thing is CRACK. I didn't really understand how big it was compare to my phone but it's MAJOR. My iPhone looks like a toy compare to this massive screen. I can't wait to copp. They might start selling them as early as tomorrow they said, so I may come back during my lunch break.

i got a question: if i buy this for 450 on t-mobile can i use it with at&t or what do i have to do, so that i can (of course im talkin about the htc ht2)

Originally Posted by kobe4threebang

i got a question: if i buy this for 450 on t-mobile can i use it with at&t or what do i have to do, so that i can (of course im talkin about the htc ht2)
you gotta get it unlocked... t mobile has the unlock code. if your with em call em and tell em your leaving the country and need the code.
But if you use it with att u'll only get edge and no 3g

Originally Posted by iChampion

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
HTC Supersonic is in Sprint inventory.  
Patiently waiting for this phone.

[/font]
http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=18-091827L&rand=1169&t=jpg&m=03&y=2010&srv=img6
So how do I actually get one? Going to the store and giving them that number probably won't work because I'm on Sero and they don't even like to speak to me once they find out.

The Touch Pro 2 has a horrendous camera. I was trying to take pictures or videos at the concert and you couldn't see $#*+. It was in a club, so obviouslyu it was kind of dark but I saw other people's cheaper phones and cameras vids on their LCDs and they looked alright.

Finally got my hands on one of these today at the local TMO store.  All I can say is WOW.  I only had about 10 minutes to toy around with it before the battery died, but damn this thing is dope.  And it really isn't as big as it looks in videos and comparison pics, which is something I was worried about.  And the build quality?  Top notch--something I've been missing due to using RIM products over the past few years. 

And after messing around with the Sense UI, eff a WP7.  Sense will suit most users just fine. 

[h1]T-Mobile HD2 vs HTC HD2 Comparison[/h1]

By: Anton D. Nagy | Date: 21-Mar-10 | 21 Comments

HD2sCompared.jpg

With three days left until the release date of T-Mobile's HD2, we want to show you the differences between the T-Mobile version and the international version of the HD2.

Size:
T-Mobile HD2: 122x67x11mm / 4.803x2.637x0.433in
HTC HD2: 120.5x67x11mm / 4.744x2.637x0.433in

The T-Mobile HD2 is 1.5mm / 0.059in taller than the International HD2, a difference which in my book is negligible and I'm sure you'll find it too, in case you happen to own an international HD2, so no need to be affraid, it won't stand out compared to it. Both devices weigh 157 grams (5.54 ounces) with the battery attached so there's no difference here.

HD2sCompared2.jpg

Aspect:
While the International HD2 has white logos on the hardware keys, the T-Mobile HD2 has a green Call Start and a red Call End button. Additionally, at the top of the device, just below the speaker, you will find the T-Mobile logo branding right above the screen.

Specs:

Memory:
T-Mobile HD2: 576MB RAM, 1GB ROM
HTC HD2: 448MB RAM, 512MB ROM

The T-Mobile HD2 has a 128MB RAM advantage over the HTC HD2 if we are talking about the stock specs. Latest developments demonstrated that the International HD2 has the same amount of physical RAM, but the additional 128MB has been hidden and thus unavailable, but unlocked via applying custom ROMs.

As far as ROM is concerned, the T-Mobile HD2 has twice as much storage memory than the international HD2, mainly because of the customizations the operator version has (not to mention the Entertainment package including Barnes & Noble eReader, Blockbuster on Demand - Blockbuster’s first-ever video download application on a smartphone, MobiTV, Gogo Inflight Internet Services - six month trial for inflight wifi services on over 2,500 daily U.S. flights and Slacker Radio).

Still talking about memory, the T-Mobile HD2 comes with a 16GB microSD card (featuring copies of the Transformers and Transformers 2 movies) while the HTC HD2 came with a 2GB microSD card or none (depending on where you bought it).

Bands:
T-Mobile HD2: WCDMA/HSPA: 1700 MHz (AWS) / 2100 MHz, GSM : 850/900/1800/1900 MHz.
HTC HD2: Europe: HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz, GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz. Asia Pacific: HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz, GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz.

Main difference here is the one and only vital one: the T-Mobile HD2 supports the 1700 MHz band not supported by the International HD2. Additionally, we've posted about how to get AT&T 3G speeds with imported Telstra HD2 from Australia, which supports UMTS 850Mhz.

Case:
The International HD2 came with a leather slide-in/slide-out pouch which offers full protection to the screen and overall to the device, but there's no way of telling if you have a notification since the pouch covers both the screen and the upper part where the LED is. Compared to this, the T-Mobile HD2 comes with a gel-case which offers protection only to the back part of the device (it's cut-out for the camera and speaker) but no protection at all for the screen (which is glass and nearly impossible to scratch but it brakes), thus making it easy to notice your notifications.

As far as HTC Sense is concerned, the T-Mobile HD2 comes with a version of Sense that has two additional tabs, at least according to leaked ROMs: the Document tab and the eReader tab.

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Finally got my hands on one of these today at the local TMO store.  All I can say is WOW.  I only had about 10 minutes to toy around with it before the battery died, but damn this thing is dope.  And it really isn't as big as it looks in videos and comparison pics, which is something I was worried about.  And the build quality?  Top notch--something I've been missing due to using RIM products over the past few years. 

And after messing around with the Sense UI, eff a WP7.  Sense will suit most users just fine. 
Thanks for the input.  You shouldn't compare a simple UI to an actual OS.  WP7 will be the focus for app development and those with 6.x will get the shaft.  And what really sucks is 6.x apps cant be used on 7 so thats also something to consider.

HTC is said to be working with M$ about the UI so even if we dont get the traditional Sense UI we will most likely get a very user-friendly UI.  (Though I've grown very fond of Sense 2.5 + Max Manila + Compact Home... check out Sergio's Leo Cell ROM series)

Patiently waiting to get this phone......ill be buying it online though.....Gotta wait till i get rid of this g1.

So the HD2 requires a 'Even More Plan'? Does that come with Unlimited Messages? So my $5.99 Tzones will not work with this? Can anybody confirm this? I may have to buy it unlocked than, I don't want to pay $25 for a data plan that my $5.99 Tzones plan WILL work on. That'll send my contract up $35 than I pay now for the HD2 over my jailbroken iPhone.

EDIT: NVM, just read the 'Even More Plus' Plans.

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Thanks for the input.  You shouldn't compare a simple UI to an actual OS.  WP7 will be the focus for app development and those with 6.x will get the shaft.  And what really sucks is 6.x apps cant be used on 7 so thats also something to consider.

HTC is said to be working with M$ about the UI so even if we dont get the traditional Sense UI we will most likely get a very user-friendly UI.  (Though I've grown very fond of Sense 2.5 + Max Manila + Compact Home... check out Sergio's Leo Cell ROM series)
Any UI changes are gonna be minor

So how do I actually get one? Going to the store and giving them that number probably won't work because I'm on Sero and they don't even like to speak to me once they find out.

You're SOL unless you're wiling to sell your plan.

You guys have me hyped to buy an HD2, but I just can't get myself to give up my plan with Sprint. Like a lot of us, I don't really need internet, GPS, e-mail, etc. on my phone so I couldn't get myself to go from paying $30-a-month total to $30-a-month just for data.

I read that the Barnes & Noble e-reader program is going to be made available to other phones so that'll be nice. I wonder if Blockbuster will make their program available to other devices too? I read that its app will be on select Motorola Android devices running 2.1 so there's hope.

[h1]Is Android Destined to the Same Fate as Classic Windows Mobile?[/h1]

By: Brandon Miniman | Date: 22-Mar-10 | 5 Comments

sad.jpg

Android is on a path that is all too familiar to those of us that have been using Windows Mobile devices for years. Remember how Microsoft's biggest defense for Windows Mobile (think back to versions 5, 6, and 6.1) was the flexibility they allowed to OEMs and carriers, thus resulting in a lot of consumer choice? Yes, indeed we saw many form factors and many choices for consumers (in fact, we once counted 18 form factors), but we also saw a lot of very crappy devices. Devices from i-mate (JAQ3 comes to mind), E-TEN (how about that X500?), Toshiba (can't forget the G900), and Pantech (with the Matrix Pro), all harmed the reputation of Windows Mobile severely because these devices brought horrible software interfaces, poor device performance, weak build quality, tons of third party carrier apps that required payment to function, and an experience totally inconsistent with every other Windows Mobile device on the market. All of these detriments translated into a bad user experience, which is one of the reasons Microsoft is trying to get as far away from legacy Windows Mobile as possible and exert a lot of control over their second try in mobile.

On its current path, I feel that Android is destined to the same fate. Android is just as open as classic Windows Mobile, allowing OEMs to completely change the interface, build a massive variety of form factors, and come up with hardware variations that often lead to underpowered devices. The only real unifying aspect between Android devices is the Market.

Examples? Recently I used the Motorola Backflip, a device crippled in several ways. First, the MotoBlur interface, while sort of cool for teenagers, was confusing, not elegant, and very slow in terms of performance (or perhaps the device was just underpowered/not optimized to begin with). Second, the hardware (with the backflipping keyboard) will be seen as a novelty to most people. And third, the device was crippled by AT&T by coming with last year's version of Android and the inability to install non-Marketplace apps.

Case two: the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10. While a powerful device under the hood, the Rachael interface that probably cost SE tons of money and time to develop is slow, confusing, and difficult to use. As shown in recent a Engadget review, the device often goes from being snappy to slow without any given reason. Back at CES I had a chance to use the X10, and while I was wowed by the eye candy, I knew I'd have a hard time living with the device as a daily driver.

And yes, there are some great Android phones out there like the Nexus One, Hero, and soon the Legend and Desire. What do these devices have in common? They're made by HTC. If you think back to Windows Mobile, there also have been some really good devices over the years like the Touch Diamond, Touch HD, Touch Pro2, and HD2. And yes, these devices were made by HTC as well. If HTC was the only OEM on the planet, perhaps legacy Windows Mobile and Android of today wouldn't have these issues, but that's just not the case. If 50% of device on a given platform are crappy, it can overshow the other 50% that are good.

The smartphone industry is in its relative infancy. We're starting to see what works and what doesn't from a user experience perspective. Apple thinks that the best user experience comes only when one company controls the hardware and software experience. Microsoft thought the complete opposite for a decade with Windows Mobile...that the best user experience comes when they have a plethora of choices, and when OEMs can be free to do whatever they want to the software and hardware. Microsoft has gotten smarter, and while Windows Phone 7 Series will be perhaps a bit *too* much locked down, it's a step in the right direction that will ensure that if and when you buy a Windows Phone 7 Series device, it won't suck.

But for Android, there will be some struggles ahead unless Google and the Open Handset Alliance can figure out a way to put a tighter grip on what the OEMs and carriers can and cannot do.

I currently have the sprint touch pro 1. I've been seeing youtube videos of the HTC HD2 and I must say I'm very impressed. I am a lil upset that its only going to be available for Tmobile
mad.gif
. I saw someone talk about the HTC Supersonic. Is this the same phone as the HD2, but its for sprint?

Originally Posted by cowboys4life

I currently have the sprint touch pro 1. I've been seeing youtube videos of the HTC HD2 and I must say I'm very impressed. I am a lil upset that its only going to be available for Tmobile
mad.gif
. I saw someone talk about the HTC Supersonic. Is this the same phone as the HD2, but its for sprint?

It's an android phone but with some really nice specs on par with the HD2

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Sprint to announce 'groundbreaking new device' (HTC Supersonic?) tomorrow[/h4]
By Ross Miller posted Mar 22nd 2010 9:09PM

Sprint Premier customers are being treated to a rather tantalizing account alert tonight: "Visit us tomorrow for an exciting announcement about a groundbreaking new device." No other details provided, but if we had to make an educated guess, we'd say all signs are pointing towards HTC's Supersonic, the long-rumored WiMAX smartphone with a 4.3-inch screen and Android 2.1 with Sense UI. A 4G device would certainly fit the billing as "groundbreaking," and we've already heard of plans to unveil the phone at CTIA, which officially kicks off tomorrow. A web chat transcript found on the Sprint Community seems to corroborate, but we can't at this point verify the validity of the screen capture. You can view the entirety of the purported web chat after the break. If we do wake up tomorrow to a shiny, large-screened WiMAX phone, care to take bets on what Sprint CEO Dan Hesse is gonna talk up in his Wednesday keynote?

[Thanks, Jackson R and Aggrey J]
sprint-chatlog-rm-eng-1269305351.jpg

[table][tr][td]
post_label_source.gif
Sprint Community, (Web Chat)
[/td][/tr][/table]

post_icon_comment_tail.gif

Leave A Comment

Facebook

Digg

Google Buzz

Twitter

http://twitter.com/home?source=enga...nce-groundbreaking-new-device-htc-supersonic/

http://

^ Thanks for the reply. I'm going to find out more information on android phones, but can you give me a brief overview in how it compares to windows?

ok this census gig gotta start ASAP... im due for a new phone... plus i gotta jump ship from WM before 7 drops...

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Turn your HTC Desire to a Nexus One

eek.gif
I don't get it.

Is it that they were able to "turn off" Sense UI?

^ Thanks for the reply. I'm going to find out more information on android phones, but can you give me a brief overview in how it compares to windows?
That's a difficult task.

What are you looking to do?  How much are you looking to spend?  There are Android phones running old versions of the OS (soon to be upgraded).  There are Windows phones running old versions of the OS (recently upgraded).  The hardware is varied: physical keyboard/virtual keyboard, 3.2" screen/4.3" screen (soon), 500mhz processor/1Ghz processor, etc.

You can customize a device running Android right out of the box with its widget based UI.  Customizing the UI on Windows is a matter of rearranging tabs (horizontal through Sense; vertical through default 6.5).  There's a lot more that can be done to Windows, even adding widget based UI's, but not out of the box and if well done, not free.

Have you looked up videos on the device(s) you're interested in on YouTube?  There are tons of videos.

From a once Android hater, I'm really liking it now. Is Desire coming to Tmobile? Im getting the HD2 but do you guys think there will be a Desire rom upgrade for HD2 owners?
The Desire is the name of the device, not the version of the OS.  Are you referring to how people are trying to port Android to the HD2?

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Turn your HTC Desire to a Nexus One

eek.gif

o_O any android phone with a UI built over it can be made into vanilla android. just how you can put user made UIs over vanilla android. nothing new or special.

Back
Top Bottom