Official HTC Thread Vol. Scribe, Thunderbolt 4G, Evo Shift 4G, Inspire 4G for AT&T

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Turn your HTC Desire to a Nexus One

eek.gif
I don't get it.

Is it that they were able to "turn off" Sense UI?

^ Thanks for the reply. I'm going to find out more information on android phones, but can you give me a brief overview in how it compares to windows?
That's a difficult task.

What are you looking to do?  How much are you looking to spend?  There are Android phones running old versions of the OS (soon to be upgraded).  There are Windows phones running old versions of the OS (recently upgraded).  The hardware is varied: physical keyboard/virtual keyboard, 3.2" screen/4.3" screen (soon), 500mhz processor/1Ghz processor, etc.

You can customize a device running Android right out of the box with its widget based UI.  Customizing the UI on Windows is a matter of rearranging tabs (horizontal through Sense; vertical through default 6.5).  There's a lot more that can be done to Windows, even adding widget based UI's, but not out of the box and if well done, not free.

Have you looked up videos on the device(s) you're interested in on YouTube?  There are tons of videos.

From a once Android hater, I'm really liking it now. Is Desire coming to Tmobile? Im getting the HD2 but do you guys think there will be a Desire rom upgrade for HD2 owners?
The Desire is the name of the device, not the version of the OS.  Are you referring to how people are trying to port Android to the HD2?

Yeah, I mean the Sense UI, sorry.

Well, the HD2 does have the Sense UI, but a different version because the OS isn't widget based like Android so they won't look the same.

The HD2 will also have the default 6.5 home screen as well.

[h4]Sprint announces seven new WiMAX markets, says 'Let AT&T and Verizon yak about maps and 3G coverage'[/h4]
By Laura June posted Mar 23rd 2010 11:39AM

post_icon_pr.gif

Sprint's just announced some more markets for its planned 4G expansion, among them Los Angeles and Miami, plus Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City and St. Louis. That's right: WiMAX is coming to penetrate the Steel Curtain. In addition to the markets previously announced at the end of February (New York, San Francisco, Boston, Denver, Kansas City, Houston, Minneapolis, and Washington, DC), the list is starting to look a lot like that "many markets" we've been promised. While we're still not getting launch dates, it's clear that Sprint's on an aggressive path here -- and an apparently leaked internal email we just got from a tipster confirms that pretty blatantly. Supposedly penned by Joe Whited, the Manager of Corporate Communications at Sprint, the email appears to have been aimed at pumping up Sprint employees based on this morning's announcement: "Let AT&T and Verizon yak about maps and 3G coverage, we're moving forward with what customers really want -- lightening [sic.] fast internet and uncapped 4G service." Fighting words, friends -- and the addition of major markets like Los Angeles and Miami are surely an upping of the game. Full press release is after the break.

Sprint 4G Expansion Plans to Stretch Coast-to-Coast from Los Angeles to Miami
Sprint extends its lead in making 4G technology a reality for millions of customers by announcing more planned coverage across the country
OVERLAND PARK, Kan., Mar 23, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- On a path to equip an expected 120 million Americans by end of the year with a mobile Internet experience that is turbo-charged, Sprint (NYSE:S) today announced plans to bring 4G technology to several additional markets, including Los Angeles and Miami. With 27 markets already equipped with 4G and more being planned for this year, Sprint is fulfilling its promise to light up major metropolitan areas with speeds that are up to 10 times faster1 than 3G.

Newly announced markets that will see 4G in 2010 are Cincinnati, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Miami, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City and St. Louis. Earlier this year Sprint announced that it planned to launch 4G in Boston, Denver, Kansas City, Houston, Minneapolis, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., in 2010.

And unlike "concepts" and "lab tests" from other wireless companies, Sprint is the first national wireless carrier to actually test, launch and market 4G technology. The strength of Sprint 4G lies in its all-IP backbone, common architecture and 4G spectrum depth, which give the company considerable flexibility to ensure that customers have a top mobile experience and the most advanced 4G services available well into the future.

With Sprint 4G, the mobile Internet potential is virtually limitless, especially for those using a Sprint 4G-powered product, such as Overdrive(TM) 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot and Sprint 3G/4G USB Modem U301 by Franklin. This year, Sprint plans to introduce several 4G devices, including a single-mode 4G data card, embedded laptops and a 4G phone. Customers can purchase existing Sprint 4G products and plans at select Sprint retail stores, select Best Buy stores and local retailers, through business sales, via Sprint Telesales at 1-800-Sprint-1 or online at www.sprint.com/4G.

Sprint is harnessing the power of 4G as the majority shareholder of Clearwire, the independent company that is building the WiMAX network.

About Sprint Nextel

Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of wireless and wireline communications services bringing the freedom of mobility to consumers, businesses and government users. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two wireless networks serving more than 48 million customers at the end of the fourth quarter of 2009 and the first and only 4G service from a national carrier in the United States; industry-leading mobile data services; instant national and international push-to-talk capabilities; and a global Tier 1 Internet backbone. The company's customer-focused strategy has led to improved first call resolution and customer care satisfaction scores. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.

1"Up to 10x faster" based on download speed comparison of 3G's 600 kbps vs. 4G's 6 Mbps. Industry published 3G avg. speeds (600 kbps-1.7 Mbps); 4G avg. speeds (3-6 Mbps). Actual speeds may vary. Sprint 4G is available in more than 25 markets and counting, and on select devices. See www.sprint.com/4G for details

might have to hop back to sprint for the supersonic + 4G. as much as i love my droid, verizon plans are OD expensive.

[h1]Max Sense UI Development Progresses, Demoed Again[/h1]
File under: News

By: CJ Lippstreu | Date: 23-Mar-10 | 3 Comments

maxsense30.jpeg

We've been keeping a close eye on Max Sense, which is a completely reworked version of HTC Sense 2.5 with some Android-like features. It's still in development, but Maxycy, the developer, has been doing a great job of keeping his fans updated on its progress. He recently suffered a computer crash and lost some important project files, but it looks like he's getting back on track. In the most recent video below, it appears Maxycy polished off some of the graphics and added a custom taskbar for launching different key functions. There's still no word on a projected release date. Check out the latest previews below and be sure to follow his thread on XDA-developers, if you're interested.
http://www.youtube.com/v/1hqsWiQJyRk?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/1hqsWiQJyRk?f=videos&app=youtube_gdata

I think this UI is pretty nice, can't wait to see the final product. I would  really like to see it on the HD2.

Sprint is going to make an announcement about their 4G today and hopefully the Supersonic also.
[h4][/h4]
[h4]AT&T says Verizon's first LTE phone is 'going to be a fat brick'[/h4]
By Joshua Topolsky posted Mar 23rd 2010 3:08PM

Ooh wee! Verizon and AT&T are getting all hot and bothered over the forthcoming LTE battle -- a battle which much like the current map wars, you can expect to grow weary of in about two minutes. According to a report in the Wall Street Journal today, both carriers have put reps in the limelight for a volley of tough talk. For starters, AT&T's CTO John Donovan claimed that Verizon was jumping the gun with its first-on-the-scene LTE rollout, suggesting initial devices are "going to drain the battery like crazy, and [they're] going to be a fat brick," noting that "2012 will be the time when you'll have decent handsets." Donovan lumped on the hits by also saying that "Anyone who says their network is ready for the iPhone -- or the broader mobile data explosion that AT&T has experienced -- is being naive." Of course, Big Red didn't just sit there and take it -- spokesman Jim Gerace fired back that "No matter how much our competitors talk, it's not going to slow us down," though he offered no further comment on the insults' stride-breaking potential. Both parties were mum on just how fleeced the consumer would be getting once the LTE pricing plans are announced, of course.

http://www.engadget.com/2...going-to-be-a-fat-brick/

Some of the comments were amusing to me

Well, the HD2 does have the Sense UI, but a different version because the OS isn't widget based like Android so they won't look the same.

Will there be a way to update the HD2 to have the Desire UI? I'm really digging it. Sorry, I sound like a noob, I'm new to HTC and WMo/Android, I'm an iPhone user
ohwell.gif

Desire is the name of the phone.

Sense UI is the name of the user interface.

HD2 comes with sense UI, but a slightly different version (not as attractive than android's sense UI IMO) because it is not widget based like Android's version of the Sense UI.

are you asking if there will be a desire/android sense UI rom (meaning, instead of windows it will be running android) for the HD2? i believe they are working on it.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Desire is the name of the phone.

Sense UI is the name of the user interface.

HD2 comes with sense UI, but a slightly different version (not as attractive than android's sense UI IMO) because it is not widget based like Android's version of the Sense UI.

are you asking if there will be a desire/android sense UI rom (meaning, instead of windows it will be running android) for the HD2? i believe they are working on it.
Yes, thanks CWrite, that's what I meant. My bad.

it's cool. you can read up on windows/android phones over @ http://www.xda-developers.com/ , they're the ones that are porting android on to windows mobile phones. i believe they've done it on the HTC Touch Pro2.
glad you're opening your eyes to something other than the iPhone. btw, why don't you get the nexus one? i believe they've ported sense UI on to it

OMG
eek.gif
pimp.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Android Supersonic is Now HTC EVO 4G[/h1]
File under: News

By: Brandon Miniman | Date: 23-Mar-10 | 10 Comments

evo2.jpg

For those of you wondering where the Android-running HTC HD2 was, wonder no more. The HTC Supersonic on Sprint is real, and calling it a "megaphone" wouldn't be an overstatement. To start, it's rocking the Snapdragon QSD8650 1GHz CPU, which is a model above what you'll get on the Nexus One or HD2 (meaning that it probably has advances in speed and power consumption). The screen, like the HD2, is 4.3" and WVGA resolution. The device can take pictures at an amazing 8MP, and has a fill light for dark areas. And guess what...it has a FRONT-facing camera (yes, this is the first US handset to have a front-facing camera, presumably for video chat). Also very cool is that with a special adapter, the HTC EVO 4G will do HDMI out! Amazing.

evo3.jpg

Best of all, it can take advantage of Sprint's 4G WiMax network, which means super fast data transfer speed like we've never seen before.

evo1.jpg

I can't get the videos posted for w/e reason but heres a link http://pocketnow.com/tech...rsonic-is-now-htc-evo-4g
[h1][/h1]

yes you do. BB OS is in the stone age.

we're getting 4G in LA this year, but i'll glady use EvDo while we get it. this phone is
eek.gif

Only thing really keeping me with the BB is the BBM.

My mom recent switched back to my old Mogul so she just has her TP2 laying around.

Is it possible for me to put an Android ROM on it?

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Will there be a way to update the HD2 to have the Desire UI? I'm really digging it. Sorry, I sound like a noob, I'm new to HTC and WMo/Android, I'm an iPhone user
ohwell.gif

dont worry dont worry, we'll take good care of you my friend.  hd2 is windows mobile so nope,  but the evo 4G will have andriod so no worries

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

My mom recent switched back to my old Mogul so she just has her TP2 laying around.

head on over to the website i gave boost and read up on it

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Yes it is, just hit up XDA. Last time I checked it was in the process, not sure how far along they have went with it or how stable it is.

holdenmichael wrote:
^ Thanks for the reply. I'm going to find out more information on android phones, but can you give me a brief overview in how it compares to windows?
That's a difficult task.

What are you looking to do?  How much are you looking to spend?  There are Android phones running old versions of the OS (soon to be upgraded).  There are Windows phones running old versions of the OS (recently upgraded).  The hardware is varied: physical keyboard/virtual keyboard, 3.2" screen/4.3" screen (soon), 500mhz processor/1Ghz processor, etc.

You can customize a device running Android right out of the box with its widget based UI.  Customizing the UI on Windows is a matter of rearranging tabs (horizontal through Sense; vertical through default 6.5).  There's a lot more that can be done to Windows, even adding widget based UI's, but not out of the box and if well done, not free.

Have you looked up videos on the device(s) you're interested in on YouTube?  There are tons of videos.
I'm pretty much looking to getting a new phone. I didn't want the TP2 cuz its like my phone but just a lil better. I wanted a physical keyboard but after seeing the HD2 I didn't care anymore. I'm so used to windows that's why I asked how do they compare. The video on the previous page says it all. Thanks for the info

Damn, the Supersonic is dooooope! I swear I hate technology sometimes---just when something new (HD2) drops, something else comes along that is similar but has a few better specs.

And yo, those comments about the BB OS are so true. I can see RIM losing out if they don't switch it up soon. They'll always have the business sector wrapped up, but the average consumer that they've been targeting a lot lately is a different crowd. If they don't evolve I can see the consumer eventually becoming bored with BB's (and this is already happening, I think). I know I've had a BB since the Curve (then the 8900, 9000 and now 9700) and I'm damn tired of the same crap wrapped up in different hardware.

Maaaan the Evo 4G just crashed the Desire/HD2 party, %!@!
laugh.gif
, I want it but don't want Sprint
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by CWrite78

it's cool. you can read up on windows/android phones over @ http://www.xda-developers.com/ , they're the ones that are porting android on to windows mobile phones. i believe they've done it on the HTC Touch Pro2.
glad you're opening your eyes to something other than the iPhone. btw, why don't you get the nexus one? i believe they've ported sense UI on to it
Thanks, spending mad hours over there, lots of info. I wanted the HD2 so I passed on the Nexus.

Also, I'm reading up on Tmobile HSPA+, still confused but is it similar to Sprint's 4g and Verizon's LTE? What's AT&T equivalent? What's faster or more efficient in real world time?

Back
Top Bottom