Official HTC Thread Vol. Scribe, Thunderbolt 4G, Evo Shift 4G, Inspire 4G for AT&T

Originally Posted by kobe4threebang

i went to tmo and picked up the hd2 and i already returned it, phone is trash windows makes it crap adding music and video to it was exhausting add in the fact that the software it put on my computer fd my computer up (kept telling me i wasnt connected to wifi when it was open i resatrted my comp about 5x and relised it wont let me connect to wifi when my hd2 was plugged in or that software was up) it was surprisingly slow (i have an iphone 3g and was expecting to be wowed and wasnt) the web browser was a mess and i thought the touch screen wasnt very responsive either, and dont get me started on the terrible app store, email was crappy to way to many steps just to view my enitre inbox, i was so excited for this phone and easily one of my biggest electronic letdowns ever, on the bright side the screen was awesome and that transformers looked amazing but wasnt enough for me to even keep it for more than 1 day
So many questions...
-What did you have the phone connected to the PC as? (Disk drive, internet sharing?)  File transfers should not be difficult at all. Its just drag-n-drop
-Are you sure you closed apps and not just minimized them?  (X button is deceiving.. make sure to terminate apps to improve overall performance and responsiveness)
-IE and Opera 9.7 are not the greatest.  Opera Mini 5 is the best browser out.  Use Skyfire for streaming video
-App store.. you should have known what you were getting into.  It wont be touching Apple's for at least another year..

To go from Iphone OS to WM (even w/ Sense UI) is a HUGE jump..  Should have gave it more time and asked here for help on issues you were having.  But things worked out for the best if you were expecting an Iphone experience on a WM device

Originally Posted by alleyzonjay

what carriers are the legend & desire going to drop on? and is the HTC Evo=HD2?
No.  HTC Evo = HTC Supersonic which is "basically" an HD2 w/ Android

Originally Posted by kobe4threebang

i went to tmo and picked up the hd2 and i already returned it, phone is trash windows makes it crap adding music and video to it was exhausting add in the fact that the software it put on my computer fd my computer up (kept telling me i wasnt connected to wifi when it was open i resatrted my comp about 5x and relised it wont let me connect to wifi when my hd2 was plugged in or that software was up) it was surprisingly slow (i have an iphone 3g and was expecting to be wowed and wasnt) the web browser was a mess and i thought the touch screen wasnt very responsive either, and dont get me started on the terrible app store, email was crappy to way to many steps just to view my enitre inbox, i was so excited for this phone and easily one of my biggest electronic letdowns ever, on the bright side the screen was awesome and that transformers looked amazing but wasnt enough for me to even keep it for more than 1 day

laugh.gif

Anyone complaining about the app store CLEARLY didn't do their research. 

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by alleyzonjay

what carriers are the legend & desire going to drop on? and is the HTC Evo=HD2?
No.  HTC Evo = HTC Supersonic which is "basically" an HD2 w/ Android
The Desire is most likely going to AT&T and maybe the Legend too. AT&T said at MWC that it was getting 5 android phones from Dell, HTC and Motorola. The Moto Backflip has dropped and info about the Dell Areo/Mini 3 have been put out. Motorola may put out another one but I'm not sure, at the rate HTC is moving seems like that AT&T would get two from them. Idk if the Nexus One counts. Well actually AT&T isn't selling the phone, Google is so that settles that.

Not slamming the dude that went on the rant but i must call you a fanboy. One the phone is capacative when it comes to the screen which is a first for windows mobile its super respnsive not to mention programs open and close quicker than they do on an iphone due to the snapdragon. The email widget is on the screen with a tab that says inbox so i dont see how thats to many steps lol. Adding music in simple as click and drag. im sorry but you sound like someone that didnt even get the phone and are just making things up to bash it.  Not to mention it runs SENSE UI unlike any other wm6.5 phone.  Anyone that new anything would know this isnt like any other windows phone.  Even reviewers state that the worst thing about the sense ui is that it is in fact not traditional windows and people are going to like the sense much better compared to any of their future devices that just run standard windows

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

I picked up my HD2 today. I LOVE IT. Amazing phone, couldn't be more happier.

Gimme some details bro.....i cant wait to get mine in the mail forreal.  They said express mail but hell.....i still wont get it till friday or saturday (maybe later than that because i wont be at home any of those times.
What you wanna know fam?
im goin to the tmobile store tomorrow to check it out (i cant wait till saturday,
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
)

• I got mine for a total of $158 ($100 for the HD2, $18 upgrade fee + $40 in taxes).
  • The screen is amazing as you've read/heard. It blows away my iPhone on 100% brightness and it's sitting at stock 60%.
  • The battery is great, I've had wifi on all day, using FaceBook and Twitter, Bluetooth, constantly playing on it, dip to 45%, BUT the phone was only on 75% when I turn it on.
  • It's fast and responsive. The weather animation never lags, screen shifting never lags. Apps are smooth when in transition. It's faster than a 3GS.
  • It's not contest, Sense UI > Apple OS UI.
  • Web is awesome as well, the big screen makes it feel more robust, pinch to zoom, double tap all work, just like the iPhone. Colors are
    eek.gif
  • Great camera, with auto focus, takes nice pics. Dual flash is ok, I didn't like the pics I took in low light settings. Video recording and quality is A LOT better than the iPhone 3Gs too. I wish you can edit it though.
Anything else?

I have a question, since the HD2 can handle animated wallpapers, is there a way I can get the ones from the Nexus One on here?

I have a question, since the HD2 can handle animated wallpapers, is there a way I can get the ones from the Nexus One on here?
Seeing how the wallpapers are meant for different OSes I don't think it would work.

[h1]http://www.wmexperts.com/save-35-t-mobile-hd2-using-bing-cashback[/h1]
[h1]Deal Alert: Save 35% off a T-Mobile HD2 using Bing cashback; $99 with WireFly[/h1]
2 comments »

Posted on Thursday, Mar 25, 2010by Malatesta

Filed Under: News;Tags:t-mobile, Sale, htc, hd2, Cashback, bing

So you want a T-Mobile HD2 but not sure about the price? (Even though we feel $449 is pretty good with no contract already).

Fret not as Microsoft's Bing is offering a whopping 35% off of the full $449 price which brings down the total cost to a nice comfy $292, give or take a few cents.

To take advantage, simply follow these directions:
  • Open web browser to www.bing.com
  • Type in "T-mobile HD2"
  • Select the "Sponsored Links" at the top with the 35% off info
Now to be clear, you won't get the 35% savings right away. Bing cashback works by refunding the difference after 60 days (read 'How it works' here, their FAQ here). The refund is either by check or, if you have Paypal, they will automatically deposit the money after the alloted time.

Still, for customers who want this baby for a fair price without committing to a two year contract, is $292 your number?

And for those who don't mind a two-year commitment, WireFly is offering the HD2 for a low $99, which ain't too shabby either.

Edit: As noted in comments, if you do both Bing cashback + Wirefly, you can have a spankin' new HD2 for $50 + 2 year contract.

[h1]http://www.wmexperts.com/slacker-radio-windows-mobile-65-official[/h1]
[h1]Slacker Radio for Windows Mobile 6.5 is Official[/h1]
6 comments »

Posted on Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010by Tim Ferrill

Filed Under: News, Software;Tags:T-Mobile HD2, slacker radio, Slacker, HTC HD2, hd2

After teasing us with a leaked .cab in February, Slacker Radio has been officially launched for Windows Mobile 6.5 devices. The Slacker Mobile application is "optimized" specifically for the HTC HD2 and is launched in conjunction with the release of the HD2 on T-Mobile. Slacker should work on other 6.5 phones with WVGA (800x480) screens; those specifically listed are the HTC Imagio, HTC Pure, HTC Tilt 2, LG eXpo and the Samsung Omnia II.

Slacker Radio for Windows Mobile provides access to your Slacker Radio account (Free or Premium), over 100 stations, the ability to create your own stations, and various information about the current track and artist. To give it a try point your mobile browser to m.slacker.com. Let us know your thoughts in the comments!

• I got mine for a total of $158 ($100 for the HD2, $18 upgrade fee + $40 in taxes).
  • The screen is amazing as you've read/heard. It blows away my iPhone on 100% brightness and it's sitting at stock 60%.
  • The battery is great, I've had wifi on all day, using FaceBook and Twitter, Bluetooth, constantly playing on it, dip to 45%, BUT the phone was only on 75% when I turn it on.
  • It's fast and responsive. The weather animation never lags, screen shifting never lags. Apps are smooth when in transition. It's faster than a 3GS.
  • Web is awesome as well, the big screen makes it feel more robust, pinch to zoom, double tap all work, just like the iPhone. Colors are
    eek.gif
  • Great camera, with auto focus, takes nice pics. Dual flash is ok, I didn't like the pics I took in low light settings. Video recording and quality is A LOT better than the iPhone 3Gs too. I wish you can edit it though.
Anything else?

Is there anything that you DONT like about it??

^^^I hear ya. Its hard to have debates about stuff like that because I live in Atlanta and whatever provider I have all have strong 3g and will supposedly have strong4g/hsdpa+ in my area. HD2 is a great phone people, but like the other guy said just go to the store and try for yourself.

eek.gif
Anything else?

How did you get the phone for $158? I thought the phone was 200 with the upgrade.

^ It is 199.99 but I guess I qualified for 1/2 off. I've been a loyal customer for 7 years and have no late fees or penalties, maybe that help?
Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

eek.gif
Anything else?

Is there anything that you DONT like about it??
  • The touch capacitive screen is nowhere as good as the iPhone. Clicking links are a pain on the browser, they just don't register. I have to pinch to zoom in quite a few times for the the link to work. The browser is kinda buggy too, pages load up weird, like in sections but if you scroll sometimes the whole page reloads again , using wifi or 3g/edge too.
  • Facebook and Twitter apps suck, period. Facebook app is a nightmare. It doesn't work half the time, it stops loading and says "an error has occurred". Links don't work and it's buggy. Even if you use the browser version, its somewhat worse, see first bullet above about the touch capacitive screen. iPhone app is so much more better. Twitter app the links to tweetpic or tweetphoto don't work sometimes. If you click it an option comes up to look at the person profile or message them. I have to click it at an angle or press it very hard for the browser to pop up, very annoying. The app it's self is very light weight, it does the job for the most part but I miss the options Tweetie had for my iPhone. 
  • Weather app is buggy too. I have it set to update my weather every 30mins and it doesn't still, idk why. I have to actually click update now for it to work. It was 10pm last night and it was showing that it was sunny?! What's the point of setting it up for 30mins if it last updated 4 hours ago?
  • Mall app looks very cool BUT when I click delete, it won't delete it. It says I have 10 emails but I deleted 5, but the 10 emails notification is still showing. I'm talking 5 hours later still showing. I had to go into my Gmail on my PC and delete them there for it to actually work.
  • MMS is partially not working for me. I can receive pics but my fiancee can't receive mine, doubt this is a HD2 thing more like Tmobile or her AT&T. 
  • The photos & video app is really cool too but for some reason if the picture is taken in landscape, you twist the phone and have it show up in portrait mode. It works for the iPhone, no matter how the pic is taken, landscape or portrait it will show how ever you twist the phone, kinda miss that. 
  • I need my apps, I miss some of my iPhone apps but that's not the HD2 fault, more like a Marketplace problem. I need android on this thing.
That's all I can think of for now.

[h4]T-Mobile HD2 can be had for $100 from Amazon, others[/h4]
By Chris Ziegler posted Mar 25th 2010 1:01PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/03/t-mobile-hd2-amazon.jpg[/img]
In the wireless industry, $100 is a rather magical psychological barrier -- a price point below which consumers generally have a much easier time pulling the trigger on a sweet upgrade. So when you offer a phone for $200, a percentage of your target demographic is generally going to drop out of the race with cries of "too rich for my blood." No worries with this new HTC HD2 for T-Mobile, though, because it turns out that a number of resellers are already discounting the phone right down into that $99.99 sweet spot despite the fact that it was just launched this very week. Most notably, anyone agreeing to a two-year contract through Amazon can get the phone for less than a Benjamin, and that's upfront -- no mail-in rebate craziness to contend with. Certainly makes the phone -- arguably WinMo 6.5's last real hurrah -- a more appealing buy, doesn't it?
from engadget

whats the general consensus on the Nexus One, now that some time has passed?
i'm looking to get the unsubsidized version in like 2 more months, with at&t.
theres a good chance i'll be living overseas (korea most likely) this november, so i wanted to get a good gsm phone...too bad evo isn't.

slacker radio > pandora.

and your problem with clicking links has more to do with the OS than the actual phone. WM is meant more for resistive screens than capacitive.

To call me a fanboy is ******ed I hate my iPhone, thing is ungodly slow has so much dust on the screen it's a joke, (it literally takes me 20 secs to just open the iPod function) don't get me wrong I hate my paticular iPhone like their is something wrong with it because my friends are quick and snappy, I just didn't like It, I honestly was waiting for this phone for like 7 months. and again Lol at all the people that call me a fanboy I don't care what company makes my electronics as long as it work fine i'm not loyal to any one company, I own a ps3, 360, sharp tv, gateway computer, and a apple iPhone, I wanted to buy a phone with a nice screen, was super fast, that I could watch video and listen to music, I couldn't figure out how to put files on it and then it was messin up my computer (I had to restart it everytime I plugged in the phone) it pissed me off so bad I was tired of the headache so I just returned

ok i got one question this crappy software it put on my computer (doubletwist) when i plugged it in HOW DO I GET IT OFF everytime i plug my iphone in it pops up ive deleted the software from my computer and the recycling bin but it still pops up? and i know it dont really mean much anymore but since i dont have th ephone but how come everytime i went to the web browser the font was SUPER SUPER big?

[h1]Top T-Mobile HD2 Tweaks and Hacks [/h1]
File under: News

By: Anton D. Nagy | Date: 25-Mar-10 | 18 Comments

HD2Tweaks.jpg

Seems like fresh bread doesn't sell as well as the HD2 since shops went out of stock on T-Mobile's HD2 just a few hours after its release, being a real challenge of finding a store that has one at the end of the day, proving once again the popularity of the device and the expectations built upon its release. That being said, we will show you below our top picks on how to tweak and hack your newly acquired device and get the most out of it, structured by the following categories: aspect, performance and usability.

Some of the tweaks presented below will need you to edit the Registry. For information about what Registry is and how to edit it, please read our Tutorial on How to Edit Your Registry in Windows Mobile. (Personal note: I use CeRegEditor).

Important notice: As always before applying mods and tweaks, make sure you have a full device backup handy just in case anything goes wrong and you need a Hard Reset to recover. This will protect your data from being lost.

Aspect:
1. One of TouchFLO 3D's main flaw, which is present on the HTC Sense too, was the lack of ability to apply a custom wallpaper to all of the tabs, not just the Home tab. Another one was downscaling of the custom wallpaper so it appeared somewhat blurry. On your T-Mobile HD2, you can use the High Resolution Wallpaper & Slider Editor which allows you to create high quality custom wallpapers to either all of your tabs or just the Home tab. A nice addition to this is High Quality Wallpaper for Home Tab & Manila Start Menu which enables the top taskbar and bottom soft button bar to be part of the wallpaper, by having a background that blends in with your current background. You can use this program to apply custom slider icons too.

2. Co0kie's Home Tab - Extended QuickLinks, Appointments and More is a Sense Home Tab modification which features Home Tab with 4 views and lots of options, extended Quick Links (quick Links layouts include 3x3, 4x4, 4x5 and 5x5 with up to 3 pages for up to 27, 48, 60 or 75 shortcuts), extended Appointments (up to 5 appointments on the home tab for more than two upcoming days), optional Call History button and much more. You can read more about it by checking out our post.

Dragsense.jpg

3. As an addition to the previous point, Co0kie's Home Tab Editor can be used to edit the settings of the modified Home tab above. You can change the settings without a registry editor, export and import settings and quicklinks, remove dead quicklinks and restarts Sense for immediate changes. To see how it's done, read our post and look for the embedded video.

Performance:
1. Increase the File System cache size in order to improve file operations. Raise the value to a safe level without braking the functionality of HTC Album's Facebook picture viewer which has been reported of malfunctioning in case of extreme cache levels.
Using you registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS and change the value of CacheSize to 4096. (Do write down the initial values in case you want to revert!)

2. Font rendering is crucial with regards to your devices's performance so in order to achieve better overall performance, you need to raise the cache related to this; it will have as result a smoother font rendering. Point your registry editor to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\GLYPHCACHE and change the value of both strings to 524288. (Do write down the initial values in case you want to revert!)

3. HTC Sense is a nice User Interface but it is also hungry for resources. Allocating more memory to this nice interface will make it more fluid, natural. You can do that by editing your registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\MemoryRequired_ByAP and change the value to 524288. (Do write down the initial values in case you want to revert!)

Usability:
1. You'll find that some of the programs you want to install will not work because they need and updated version of .NET Compact Framework, usually version 3.5 being a prerequisite for these applications so installing it might be a good idea. Read out Tutorial on How to Upgrade to Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5 where you can find step by step explanations on how to get it done.

2. Opera Mobile is a very nice and fast Internet Browser you'll quickly get to love. By default, your Opera tabs are limited to three, which means that three is the maximum number of pages you can have open at the same time. What a shame! You can increase that number and unleash the browser by editing the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera\Prefs\User Prefs and change the value of Maximum Allowed Tabs from 3 to 6 for instance (or any number of your liking, representing the number of available tabs).

Opera.gif

3. One of the greatest annoyances of Opera was the need to zoom out before actually being allowed to tap a link on an Internet page. There's a fix for this behavior and to apply it, point your registry editor to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Opera\Info and change the value of az_overview_threshold to 32.

Bonus:
Should you ever run out of RAM, which I highly doubt given the huge amount of memory this device has, you can use a free memory cleaning application called cleanRAM to free up some of the memory without the need of a Soft Reset (not that it takes a long time for it to boot).

On the same note, you can install a modified HTC Task Manager that has been tampered with to work with the HD2. You can really close apps by the X button by using it and thus freeing up the memory it used. For the connaisseurs, it's Dutty's Task Manager for Leo.

TaskMgr.jpg

You can use the 16GB Storage Card included to store lots of multimedia files like Music. In this article we show you how to get proper Album Art displayed in Sense's Music tab.

If your icons don't look that good because Sense is using a rather large icon size compared to WM6.5 and to WM6.1, here's a post you can read and follow the instructions on Getting Nice and Sharp Icons on Sense Quick Links in WM6.5.

Last but not least, your T-Mobile HD2's WiFi card supports Draft N. If you have a Wireless N Router and your HD2 can't connect, it's because the N mode is disabled by default. You can enable it and benefit from N technology by editing the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\BCMSDDHD1\Parms and change the value of 11nModeDisable from 1 to 0.

(Sources combined from XDA Developers and pocketnow.com)

Just got the HTC HD2 today. Still taking some time to getting used to.

Does anyone know a good website to buy screen protectors?
nerd.gif

when the dust settles...

how much can i cop this for on ebay?...

cuz i'll sell this iphone 3g for a quick $300...

and put it towards gettin that....

hopefully, the hackers at xda and ppcgeeks can come up with a way that i can use web2go on here...

also... can you get 3g speeds on web2go?

Back
Top Bottom