Official HTC Thread Vol. Scribe, Thunderbolt 4G, Evo Shift 4G, Inspire 4G for AT&T

[h2]HTC patents new thin film speaker system[/h2]
May 7th, 2010 | Author: Surur

speaker.png

HTC has been hard at work on their patent portfolio, and their latest application is a departure from their usual software innovations. 

HTC has in fact applied for 2 patents, the first for manufacturing an electret  material, which is a dia-electric material that have static apposing electrical charges and can be used to replace the diaphragm in a loudspeaker, and by being much thinner allow even sleeker smartphones.

The second patent is for an actual implementation in a phone, with various designs proposed.

These new hardware patents are an interesting departure for HTC, but possibly necessary given the squeeze they are experiencing on the software side.

Read the relevant patents here and here.
http:///wmpoweruser.com/?p=16158">http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=16158')" href="http://www.sphere.com/search?q=sphereit:http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=16158">Sphere: Related Content

I know this is the HTC thread but I got a Google Moment - Can anyone in the know fill me in on the major differences between the HTC and Android phones?

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

I know this is the HTC thread but I got a Google Moment - Can anyone in the know fill me in on the major differences between the HTC and Android phones?

Someone can better explain and correct me if i'm wrong, but HTC makes the hardware and Android is the program it's running? Dell= HTC Android= Windows?

HTC makes the hardware, Android is the OS.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

HTC makes the hardware, Android is the OS.
HTC also has a great UI for android which allows for more pages, 7.
I believe the Moment has about 4?
HTC has a strong community of developers/power users.

So is the Moment any good? (for those in the know)
If the difference is huge I might take the Moment back
But if it's minimal I'll hold on to it
I'm still within the 30 day return period

[h4]Current T-Mobile customers having hard time upgrading to HTC HD2 (updated with statement)[/h4]
By Chris Ziegler posted May 7th 2010 2:28PM
First, the good news: T-Mobile's HD2 is in stock online and apparently at many corporate-owned retail locations. Now, the bad: the carrier seems to be putting these things on lockdown right now, only offering them to new customers signing up for a fresh contract. This is a tactic T-Mobile has applied in the past, so we're not terribly surprised to see them do it here, too -- but it's still a disappointment, especially considering that the phone has been out for a few weeks now. Just goes to show you that a net add is worth considerably more than a loyal customer is (particularly one who's still under contract), but in the meantime, might we recommend the iHTC HD2?

Update: We've received an official statement from T-Mobile on the matter, and it sounds like they're "giving priority to existing customers" with new inventory coming in. Sweet! Here's the full verbiage:
"T-Mobile understands the inventory challenges for the HTC HD2 and continues to work diligently in order to supply our customers with this highly popular product. As we receive additional inventory of the HTC HD2, we are giving priority to our existing customers. However, the demand for the device is still exceeding our supply.

Depending on the location, some T-Mobile retail stores may still have some HTC HD2 inventory available. We suggest that interested customers contact their local T-Mobile store via phone before visiting to see if they have the HTC HD2 available. If they do not have the HTC HD2 available, some stores are taking names and contact information, and will be able to notify customers once that location has product available."

from engadaget

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

Originally Posted by CWrite78

A business rep from Sprint shared with us that Sprint is offering a $100 credit to users who switch carriers and port their number.
sealed the deal for me.

good bye verizon, it's been nice.
That makes two of us.

Peace T-Mobile, it's been good.
Actually the three of us.

Adios AT&T, its been a pleasure.

add me to the list.

Ive loved tmobile since i got them when they were voicestream.......but this is a deal breaker.

I have a question tho............I know my ETF will be $200.  but at what point do they decide NOT to charge more than that because i got the phone for $199.99 instead of the regular price.

Anyone know my much they may charge me if i do that??

ETF goes down every month, never goes up.

well at least that's how it is on verizon and sprint. not sure about tmobile, haven't had tmobile since the color sidekick.

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

A business rep from Sprint shared with us that Sprint is offering a $100 credit to users who switch carriers and port their number.
sealed the deal for me.

That makes two of us.

add me to the list.

Ive loved tmobile since i got them when they were voicestream.......but this is a deal breaker.

I have a question tho............I know my ETF will be $200.  but at what point do they decide NOT to charge more than that because i got the phone for $199.99 instead of the regular price.

another thing to think about is you might lose your number as well

u got the moment for sprint??

return it and wait for the evo 4g

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

sealed the deal for me.

That makes two of us.

add me to the list.

I dont care about the phone number.......i have everybodys phone number that has mine.  i just dont wanna pay the $200, then have them say i gotta pay more than that because i got the phone at a discounted rate.

i have yet to get an answer to that question

I also wonder what the retention team would do if i told them WHY i was switching to sprint.......HMMM

is their any official date for the evo yet? 6? 13?

Also idk if im going to pre order from radio shack, ima just hit up best buy on release day and get that good ol discount
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by NKEAIR

sealed the deal for me.

That makes two of us.

add me to the list.

I dont care about the phone number.......i have everybodys phone number that has mine.  i just dont wanna pay the $200, then have them say i gotta pay more than that because i got the phone at a discounted rate.

i have yet to get an answer to that question

I also wonder what the retention team would do if i told them WHY i was switching to sprint.......HMMM

i answered your question but i guess you decided to ignore it.

you wont pay more because you got it at a discount.

that's the whole point of the ETF, to cover the discount if you leave early.

i dont know how tmobile works but.. att, sprint, and verizon lower the ETF every month (5 bucks from what i remember). the only way to not pay an ETF is if you return it within the 30 days you bought it. then, all you'd pay is what you used (unless it's sprint, you don't pay anything.. well for recently signed deals) and the restocking fee of the phone.

that enough for you?

Im hoping sprint has some sort of discount on the evo for early adaptors of the Hero. It would suck for me to have to wait till october to get it when i'll be able to upgrade, cause there's no way in hell im paying 600 bucks for it.

you wont see any type of discount besides the $75 toward your 1 year upgrade ($75 will go towards the retail price of the phone)
aight... with the worst credit possible... what would i be looking at
If its really that bad $150 deposit, youll get it back in about 1 year and a half credited to your bill or theyll send you a check.
Ive approved many people that have gone through bankruptcy with no deposit sometimes $50
Then it ran a credit check. Now I don't have the best credit in the world
embarassed.gif
, but it said they would accept me but they would tack on that spending limit fee which is 4.99 a month. My question is, does that mean i'm clear from paying a deposit, or will I still need one? I guess I should just call sprint as ask right...
I dont think youll have to but call and ask, that spending limit is $150 use to be free of charge though.
How does this $100 credit exactly work if I want to move from tmo to sprint?... what do I need to do

Sprint will credit your bill in 2-3 billing cycles $100.

Not if you go with a different company and they port it before you cancel your old service.
How long have you been on your current contract? if you just upgrade lets say a month or two ago ya itll be $200, 6 months approx $160 1 year 110 1 1/2 year $40, examples of how much it might be if youve been in contract for that long for you to cancel your contract.

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

stupid question: what would an HTC smartphone be like if I didnt have an monthly plan with it?
as in I use it with a prepaid simcard, and only get WIFI as internet at home or at school.
Does it loses most of its functions?

What are you looking to do with it? Which smartphone?

Why not just get a phone that has great battery life and call quality and by a PMP separately (iPod Touch, Zune HD, Archos ___, etc.)?
Maybe something like the Desire or Legend?
Just to have the big screen, use it to play games, watch movies on the go, listen to music
and I'll have wifi at home and at school, so i can surf the net in class.

Originally Posted by leonard109

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

stupid question: what would an HTC smartphone be like if I didnt have an monthly plan with it?
as in I use it with a prepaid simcard, and only get WIFI as internet at home or at school.
Does it loses most of its functions?

What are you looking to do with it? Which smartphone?

Why not just get a phone that has great battery life and call quality and by a PMP separately (iPod Touch, Zune HD, Archos ___, etc.)?
Maybe something like the Desire or Legend?
Just to have the big screen, use it to play games, watch movies on the go, listen to music
and I'll have wifi at home and at school, so i can surf the net in class.

Your service might make you get a data plan though.

Originally Posted by eteam o2

u got the moment for sprint??

return it and wait for the evo 4g
I copped about 2 weeks ago so I have about 14 days to return it
Unless it comes out within the next 14 days I can't

[h1]Official XDA Android App Updated to v1.0.0[/h1]
May 8, 2010   By: admin

Today we’ve released an updated version of our free Android app. The changes are modest (hey, it’s a .X release!) but the new features are sure to please the 30,000 of you that have already download this app since its release about a month ago.

First and foremost, you can now favorite any forum or sub forum so that you can instantly pull up a list of forums that you visit most often. Also, there are new options to customize your signature. Finally, there have been numerous bug fixes, performance enhancements, and minor interface tweaks. To get it, just search “XDA

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Originally Posted by ninjahood

i don't get da t-mobile hate..its called get da nexus one if you want a super phone on our network.
To each his own, I guess.  The N1 just doesn't move me for some reason.  And to be honest, after rocking with the HD2 for the past 5 or 6 weeks, I can't see going back to a smaller screen.  That glorious display pretty much ruined me for anything smaller. 
ohwell.gif
Same for me, I love my HD2 screen size, 4.3 > 3.7 > 3.5, that's why I want the Evo 4G (also cuz it has Android x Sense). Does anybody know if the Evo is gonna have a TFT LCD or AMOLDED?

AMOLED
Where did you hear this? I heard there isn't a confirmation on that yet.

thats cool.

i thought the 200 was just becauae you were cancelling the service....not because you got a discount on the phone.

i thought i heard someone say that if you terminate your contract early that they charge the 200 err....then you have to pay the subsidized price for the phone (basically,you would pay the difference between what you paid and the regular price of the phone.)

Originally Posted by APLX2

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Originally Posted by ninjahood

i don't get da t-mobile hate..its called get da nexus one if you want a super phone on our network.
To each his own, I guess.  The N1 just doesn't move me for some reason.  And to be honest, after rocking with the HD2 for the past 5 or 6 weeks, I can't see going back to a smaller screen.  That glorious display pretty much ruined me for anything smaller. 
ohwell.gif
Same for me, I love my HD2 screen size, 4.3 > 3.7 > 3.5, that's why I want the Evo 4G (also cuz it has Android x Sense). Does anybody know if the Evo is gonna have a TFT LCD or AMOLDED?

AMOLED
Where did you hear this? I heard there isn't a confirmation on that yet.

Ya im alost positive when they announced at CTIA they said it wasnt AMOLED.

I got a question. I have the OG SERO plan, and out of contract. Can i just purchase the phone (EVO) itself for 5 or 6 hundred w.e it is, without the contract, and still keep my SERO plan? or would i be forced to take another plan?

Originally Posted by Paycheck26

I got a question. I have the OG SERO plan, and out of contract. Can i just purchase the phone (EVO) itself for 5 or 6 hundred w.e it is, without the contract, and still keep my SERO plan? or would i be forced to take another plan?

might have to notify dem to activate ur phone without letting em know what phone u got.

Back
Top Bottom