Official Jazz thread

5cb16268c479113301814a0649b9dff8f1b482a2_r.jpg

Yo yo. What up on this Sunday mornin' NT fam?!? Getting ready to take my son to tear it up in indoor soccer but had to share this. OkayPlayer posted this live "bootleg" in anticipation of Glasper's release Tuesday. I embedded the player & I can see it while typing this but knowing how funny actin' yuku is, here's the link where you can check it out. Also below is the list of songs...It's off the hook. Enjoy...

01-Black Radio feat.Yasiin Bey (Blue Note NYC)
02-A Love Supreme (Blue Note NYC)
03-Searching feat. Pete Rock (Roy Ayers Tribute at Jazz A La Villette- Paris, France)
04-Stakes is High feat. Yasiin Bey & Jon Jon (Blue Note NYC)
05-Electric Relaxation feat. Q-Tip (Highline Ballroom NYC)
06-The Way You Do It/Soul Control feat. Phonte (Le Poisson NYC)
07-Fever feat. Q-Tip (Highline Ballroom NYC)
08-ALL CAPS feat. DOOM (Montreux Jazz Festival)
09-Kick Push feat. Lupe Fiasco (Blue Note NYC)
10-Fantastic feat. Yasiin Bey (Blue Note NYC)
11-Find A Way feat. Q-Tip (Highline Ballroom NYC)
12-Reminisce (featt. Bilal, Yasiin Bey (Highline Ballroom NYC)
13-Cypher feat. Lupe Fiasco,Yasiin Bey, Kanye West) (Blue Note NYC)
Edit - frickin yuku won't embed the player so I uploaded the photo....

Originally Posted by omgitswes

She has a new album coming out in May. Pretty Excited, big fan of Norah Jones

b9226cb6dace57d51b63e5020cd64600539c81b0_r.jpg

What up Wes. I'm interested to see what her music for this release will sound like with Danger Mouse producing. Love the cover for it too. Not a big Russ Meyer fan, but I do love some of the graphics for his b-movie posters. This is a play on the Mudhoney movie poster by Meyer...She looks hot...

72e26916f8c8873913439d0c00b9cafd5cefb6e0_r.jpg

Esperanza Spalding killed it last night during the Oscars where she performed What A Wonderful World during the In Memoriam segment of the show. It was breathtaking & very moving. She looked beautiful too. Tried finding a vid of the performance but couldn't find anything. I will post later on if I find it.

39d360c16d07c6cd70421e5332060cf2d8db512f_r.jpg
93d268161ec437a21503320aa41072eb64d361c8_r.jpg

What up Wes. Sad to say, there isn't that many Jazz concerts on Blu Ray. You'll only find Kenny G (%$%!?!!), Chris Botti, Pat Metheny, & Diana Krall...Notice the trend? If you want to stick with the blu ray format, I'd suggest Diana Krall live in Rio.

If you're ok with dvd format, I'd suggest the docs about A Great Day in Harlem & Blue Note: A Story Of Modern Jazz.

I'd really recommend newly released Miles Davis Live in Europe 1967 cd/dvd pack combo which I got for Christmas. It didn't come with a blu ray option. Here's a link to Best Buy's ($47.99) site for the item & the link to Amazon ($35.43) for the item too. I would highly recommend this for your pops.

laugh.gif
, yeah I saw the Diana Krall in Rio. If I get that it'll be for myself, it's pretty cheap on Amazon.

That Miles combo is great! Thanks man

Originally Posted by omgitswes

laugh.gif
, yeah I saw the Diana Krall in Rio. If I get that it'll be for myself, it's pretty cheap on Amazon.

That Miles combo is great! Thanks man
Let me know if you get the Miles set & how you dad likes it. The live in Europe '67 is the first release for the bootleg series. There will be several releases with really great material...

I forgot to include if you don't mind the DVD format, the Diana Krall Live In Paris is better IMO.

Picked this up the other day. Brother Ahmad is 80+ years old & still killin' it. Saw him at the Cape May Jazz festival years ago & also meet him. Really nice dude & gracious with his time.

Yo Wes, let me know if you get that Miles Bootleg for your pops. I'd like to know if he likes it...

I don't have "idols" but one of the few people I respect/admire is Gilles Peterson. His long running show was canceled on UK's Radio One but you can get his podcasts for free through his website here. Gilles has the best taste in music.

His record label Brownswood Recordings released Jose James' Blackmagic about 2 years ago. It features tracks produced by Sbtrkt & Flying Lotus. Highly recommend this album. This was a more traditional song/gem from that album...

Dudes voice reminds me of Johnny Hartman like a mutha...My pops used to play the Coltrane/Hartman record all the time...I can still hear the crackle of the vinyl of this record playing on Sunday morning from my childhood while breakfast was cooking...

Yo, yo what up good people?! Glasper's new release is a must have jawn. Really enjoying it. It made me go digging into my collection to find this '05 release from Joshua Redman called Momentum which had a whole bunch of folks ranging from Meshell Ndegeocello, Eric Krasno (Soulive), Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, & Questlove who played on this track.  

Originally Posted by psk2310

Yo Wes, let me know if you get that Miles Bootleg for your pops. I'd like to know if he likes it...

I haven't made my mind up on that yet. I'm heading to a record store this weekend if I don't see anything there I'll get it

Back
Top Bottom