Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

How are fortune cookies in ice cream offensive? Its a nod to his asian american roots, now its just a random ice cream flavor with his name on it.

Originally Posted by Sea man

How are fortune cookies in ice cream offensive? Its a nod to his asian american roots, now its just a random ice cream flavor with his name on it.

I could see how it could be offensive, bc it has nothing to do with him and is just trying to perpetuate a stereotype.

Fortune cookies have nothing to do w/ actual Asian culture; it's an American stereotype that Chinese ppl eat fortune cookies. They don't even have them in China, and I think they're all made in Brooklyn. It'd be like putting fried chicken and watermelon in a flavor in honor of Tiger Woods. Someone said it'd be analogous to a Star of David in honor of someone Jewish, but that comparison is completely different. A star of david is actually a respected part of Jewish culture. If they wanted to put in chinese symbols, it would have been different, but instead they chose something that is not indigenous to Chinese people and is only attributed to them through American stereotypes that aim to show Asians as foreigners with exotic foods from the Far East. It'd be like putting coins in a flavor in honor of Jewish people.

And it's true, maybe people are forced to be too PC in this day and age, but I can definitely see that being offensive given Jeremy Lin is Taiwanese-American, making it even less relevant to him. 

I could see how it could be offensive, bc it has nothing to do with him and is just trying to perpetuate a stereotype.

Fortune cookies have nothing to do w/ actual Asian culture; it's an American stereotype that Chinese ppl eat fortune cookies. They don't even have them in China, and I think they're all made in Brooklyn. It'd be like putting fried chicken and watermelon in a flavor in honor of Tiger Woods. Someone said it'd be analogous to a Star of David in honor of someone Jewish, but that comparison is completely different. A star of david is actually a respected part of Jewish culture. If they wanted to put in chinese symbols, it would have been different, but instead they chose something that is not indigenous to Chinese people and is only attributed to them through American stereotypes that aim to show Asians as foreigners with exotic foods from the Far East. It'd be like putting coins in a flavor in honor of Jewish people.

And it's true, maybe people are forced to be too PC in this day and age, but I can definitely see that being offensive given Jeremy Lin is Taiwanese-American, making it even less relevant to him. 

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

Yeah i understand that as i am half asian and live in shanghai, i just think it was a harmless tribute to the fact that he is chinese american. How else would they make a lin ice cream that is diffrent from other flavors? On a side note, i could see bubble tea flavored ice cream being good..

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

Yeah i understand that as i am half asian and live in shanghai, i just think it was a harmless tribute to the fact that he is chinese american. How else would they make a lin ice cream that is diffrent from other flavors? On a side note, i could see bubble tea flavored ice cream being good..

Originally Posted by d3simet

tumblr_m0312cbAdG1qearxgo1_500.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

needs to be made into a Nike T-shirt ASAP!!

I don't know about you guys but stale fortune cookies isn't good. Can't imagine it being in the ice cream would be any better.

NBA TV is re-airing the Lakers game where he scored 38 points.
30t6p3b.gif

I don't know about you guys but stale fortune cookies isn't good. Can't imagine it being in the ice cream would be any better.

NBA TV is re-airing the Lakers game where he scored 38 points.
30t6p3b.gif

If they wanted to make an "Asian" ice cream, they could have been less offensive by making it out of lychee (like someone said already) or green tea or something like that. That would have been acceptable and in pretty good taste. If you don't think fortune cookies reflect negative stereotypes I don't know what to say.

If they wanted to make an "Asian" ice cream, they could have been less offensive by making it out of lychee (like someone said already) or green tea or something like that. That would have been acceptable and in pretty good taste. If you don't think fortune cookies reflect negative stereotypes I don't know what to say.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Its not a negative stereotype though (if im missing something about the history of fortune cookies fill me in), fortune cookies are an asian american thing, and lin is asian american. I have lived in china for 16 years and i have never seen a fortune cookie here, sure its wrong if someone thinks all chinese people have fortune cookies with a meal but having fortune cookies in a fun ice cream flavor wont make that any better or worse. And at the end of the day, its just ice cream

Its not a negative stereotype though (if im missing something about the history of fortune cookies fill me in), fortune cookies are an asian american thing, and lin is asian american. I have lived in china for 16 years and i have never seen a fortune cookie here, sure its wrong if someone thinks all chinese people have fortune cookies with a meal but having fortune cookies in a fun ice cream flavor wont make that any better or worse. And at the end of the day, its just ice cream

That could be interpreted as equally offensive. They should've made a huge sundae with Orange and Blue M&Ms for $17 and called it the "Linsanity".
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That could be interpreted as equally offensive. They should've made a huge sundae with Orange and Blue M&Ms for $17 and called it the "Linsanity".
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I don't know...just my opinion, but green tea or lychee flavor (or even some sort of milk tea ice cream thing) don't feel negative at all to me- it feels more of a legit homage to his culture...while fortune cookies don't at all. I just feel that fortune cookies depict stereotypes b/c it's not even an Asian thing as Sea man mentioned. I mean, if it didn't depict anything bad, Ben and Jerry's wouldn't have apologized for it...I hope someone else can back me up on this
laugh.gif

Speaking of milk tea ice cream, milk tea+ vanilla ice cream is absolutely
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
. I spent a summer in Taiwan interning a few years ago, and a lot of milk tea spots had them for  $1.50
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
I don't know...just my opinion, but green tea or lychee flavor (or even some sort of milk tea ice cream thing) don't feel negative at all to me- it feels more of a legit homage to his culture...while fortune cookies don't at all. I just feel that fortune cookies depict stereotypes b/c it's not even an Asian thing as Sea man mentioned. I mean, if it didn't depict anything bad, Ben and Jerry's wouldn't have apologized for it...I hope someone else can back me up on this
laugh.gif

Speaking of milk tea ice cream, milk tea+ vanilla ice cream is absolutely
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
. I spent a summer in Taiwan interning a few years ago, and a lot of milk tea spots had them for  $1.50
pimp.gif

They should of just asked Lin to make up a combination of stuff he likes in his ice cream and called it Linsanity. Why does it even have to relate to him being Asian-American.

They should of just asked Lin to make up a combination of stuff he likes in his ice cream and called it Linsanity. Why does it even have to relate to him being Asian-American.

Back
Top Bottom