Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

I'm interested to see what Lin can do matched up against on ball defenders like Rondo, Paul, Teague, Tony Allen, etc. Those are a good group of players but it is obvious the Heat exposed his weakness. As much of a great story it is, I think he gives the Knicks a sense of false hope. You need defense to win championships. Jeremy Lin does not have that, nor Melo. Iman Shupert does and so does Chandler, so those guys need to get more time in games against better opponents (i.e. Heat) if they expect to make a playoff run.

Also, I disagree with Lin in that interview when he says he was overlooked because of "the way he looks." It was actually his first answer and I find that wrong in many ways.

67 turnovers in 2 weeks and ppl are saying great/good please show me atleast one average plyer who has close to 70 turnovers in 3 weeks

67 turnovers in 2 weeks and ppl are saying great/good please show me atleast one average plyer who has close to 70 turnovers in 3 weeks

Originally Posted by 4one5

Jeremy_Lins_Boxer_Briefs_From_Harvard_On_Ebay.png
I bet somebody from this thread will cop 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by LDJ

Westbrook had 69 turnovers from 1/25-2/15. Around a 3 week span. 

Originally Posted by LDJ

Westbrook had 69 turnovers from 1/25-2/15. Around a 3 week span. 

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

I'm interested to see what Lin can do matched up against on ball defenders like Rondo, Paul, Teague, Tony Allen, etc. Those are a good group of players but it is obvious the Heat exposed his weakness. As much of a great story it is, I think he gives the Knicks a sense of false hope. You need defense to win championships. Jeremy Lin does not have that, nor Melo. Iman Shupert does and so does Chandler, so those guys need to get more time in games against better opponents (i.e. Heat) if they expect to make a playoff run.

Also, I disagree with Lin in that interview when he says he was overlooked because of "the way he looks." It was actually his first answer and I find that wrong in many ways.
How is it wrong? He obviously feels that way so we don't know what he experienced.  Won a state title (the opposing team ended up having 7 players go on to play division 1) , first team all-state, and division II player of the year.

Even with those credentials, he didn't even get recruited by one college.  It's apparent assumptions and stereotypes played a role in why he wasn't recruited at all.  He even says it himself. 

I'm excited to see what he can do in the 2nd half of the season when he plays against those players, he can only get better. 

How is it wrong? He obviously feels that way so we don't know what he experienced.  Won a state title (the opposing team ended up having 7 players go on to play division 1) , first team all-state, and division II player of the year.

Even with those credentials, he didn't even get recruited by one college.  It's apparent assumptions and stereotypes played a role in why he wasn't recruited at all.  He even says it himself. 

I'm excited to see what he can do in the 2nd half of the season when he plays against those players, he can only get better. 

Originally Posted by LDJ

stop trolling already.  no where in your previous incoherent posts here did you make any damn sense.  no one says he's good or great, but he has the POTENTIAL to be.  yeah, he had 67 turnovers, but he has lead the Knicks to a 10-3 record ever since he has played significant minutes, so that's all that really matters in the stats column; the W's.  if he doesn't fix the turnovers in the 2nd half of the season, while costing his team games, then it'll be a problem.  he's still pretty much a rookie.  

Originally Posted by LDJ

stop trolling already.  no where in your previous incoherent posts here did you make any damn sense.  no one says he's good or great, but he has the POTENTIAL to be.  yeah, he had 67 turnovers, but he has lead the Knicks to a 10-3 record ever since he has played significant minutes, so that's all that really matters in the stats column; the W's.  if he doesn't fix the turnovers in the 2nd half of the season, while costing his team games, then it'll be a problem.  he's still pretty much a rookie.  

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

He only averaged 16 ppg 4.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds at Harvard his senior year.  He had to be their best player by far, am I wrong?  
There's plenty of guys like that who did not get drafted from their respective D1 schools.  The fact that he actually was picked up by the Warriors, then dropped, then picked up again by Houston, then dropped, then picked up by the Knicks shows that he was not overlooked.  Everyone thinks he was overlooked because he is performing tremendously out of nowhere.  But my point is you never hear about the guys who JUST missed the cut or won't get called up from the D-League EVER.  

He didn't perform nearly this well in the D-League, so what do you expect NBA scouts to think? He is in almost the perfect system and team for him to perform with the Knicks.  D'Antoni = No defensive responsibility, shoot, shoot, pick-and-roll, shoot, no defense.  I think it is incredible what he has done, but call me crazy: I'm taking practically every starting point guard in the league over him excluding D-Fish and J-Kidd (they're old) and Jameer Nelson because I don't like his game (don't ask me for a reason because I don't have one).

He only averaged 16 ppg 4.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds at Harvard his senior year.  He had to be their best player by far, am I wrong?  
There's plenty of guys like that who did not get drafted from their respective D1 schools.  The fact that he actually was picked up by the Warriors, then dropped, then picked up again by Houston, then dropped, then picked up by the Knicks shows that he was not overlooked.  Everyone thinks he was overlooked because he is performing tremendously out of nowhere.  But my point is you never hear about the guys who JUST missed the cut or won't get called up from the D-League EVER.  

He didn't perform nearly this well in the D-League, so what do you expect NBA scouts to think? He is in almost the perfect system and team for him to perform with the Knicks.  D'Antoni = No defensive responsibility, shoot, shoot, pick-and-roll, shoot, no defense.  I think it is incredible what he has done, but call me crazy: I'm taking practically every starting point guard in the league over him excluding D-Fish and J-Kidd (they're old) and Jameer Nelson because I don't like his game (don't ask me for a reason because I don't have one).

What does anything you typed have to do with why he wasn't recruited or offered ANY scholarships out of HIGH SCHOOL , given his accolades? Again, it is due to assumptions and stereotypes with his athletic ability and how he looked.  He was definitely overlooked out of high school.

He put up solid numbers his senior year, and he did drop 30 on UConn and also single handedly carried Harvard to beat Boston College (BC beat No.1 ranked North Carolina that year, first time Harvard ever beat a ranked team). 

I mean, I don't follow the D-league, but he did outplay John Wall in the summer league and dropped a triple double a week before he was going to get cut by NY.  Players get sent down there to polish their game and to gain experience/playing time; it's obvious he wasn't gonna see that much playing time with Steph Curry & Monta in the backcourt.  +%%#, even Charlie %!@%@% Bell and AC LAW were ahead of him in the rotation as back up PGs... where the hell are they now and what have they ever done? He was overlooked there, again.  Not to mention he had a cult following in the Bay Area before he even played a minute in the NBA, too much pressure.

With the Rockets, they had 3 PG's under contract, he wasn't gonna be in the rotation, so I don't feel he was really overlooked there. 

If you go back to the first few pages of this thread back in 2010, folks were laughing at him and calling him potentially the worst player in the league without ever having seen him play.
He was overlooked a lot and a true underdog. 

What does anything you typed have to do with why he wasn't recruited or offered ANY scholarships out of HIGH SCHOOL , given his accolades? Again, it is due to assumptions and stereotypes with his athletic ability and how he looked.  He was definitely overlooked out of high school.

He put up solid numbers his senior year, and he did drop 30 on UConn and also single handedly carried Harvard to beat Boston College (BC beat No.1 ranked North Carolina that year, first time Harvard ever beat a ranked team). 

I mean, I don't follow the D-league, but he did outplay John Wall in the summer league and dropped a triple double a week before he was going to get cut by NY.  Players get sent down there to polish their game and to gain experience/playing time; it's obvious he wasn't gonna see that much playing time with Steph Curry & Monta in the backcourt.  +%%#, even Charlie %!@%@% Bell and AC LAW were ahead of him in the rotation as back up PGs... where the hell are they now and what have they ever done? He was overlooked there, again.  Not to mention he had a cult following in the Bay Area before he even played a minute in the NBA, too much pressure.

With the Rockets, they had 3 PG's under contract, he wasn't gonna be in the rotation, so I don't feel he was really overlooked there. 

If you go back to the first few pages of this thread back in 2010, folks were laughing at him and calling him potentially the worst player in the league without ever having seen him play.

How can you possibly say he was not overlooked? 

SF area POY translates to ZERO D1 scholarship offers. Sounds right.

Can you show me the last undrafted and then cut from 3 teams player to have a mid-season outburst like Lin just had? No, because it hasn't happened. Why? Because he never should have been an undrafted and cut 3 times. It's that simple. 

"He only averaged 16 ppg 4.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds at Harvard his senior year"

Click here 

How can you possibly say he was not overlooked? 

SF area POY translates to ZERO D1 scholarship offers. Sounds right.

Can you show me the last undrafted and then cut from 3 teams player to have a mid-season outburst like Lin just had? No, because it hasn't happened. Why? Because he never should have been an undrafted and cut 3 times. It's that simple. 

"He only averaged 16 ppg 4.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds at Harvard his senior year"

Click here 

Of course he is an underdog, which is why his story is so great.  Countless kids don't get even the opportunity to go to a school like Harvard, especially for basketball. You make it sound like any decent high school player can get a scholarship to Harvard.  Do you understand how difficult that is?  Just do a little research on how many great players are forced to go to JuCo or can't be eligible for their high school team because of grades.  You won't find anything, which is exactly my point.  Lin was given an opportunity to perform in high school, college, and pros.  And he seized the opportunity like no other, which I applaud him for.  
Sorry man, but I'm not buying the race card.  He has obviously worked hard enough for it to pay off and he WILL get payed, very well.  But there are way too many good players in the world, nonetheless the USA that get overlooked every year for me to believe his appearance is the reason. 

Of course he is an underdog, which is why his story is so great.  Countless kids don't get even the opportunity to go to a school like Harvard, especially for basketball. You make it sound like any decent high school player can get a scholarship to Harvard.  Do you understand how difficult that is?  Just do a little research on how many great players are forced to go to JuCo or can't be eligible for their high school team because of grades.  You won't find anything, which is exactly my point.  Lin was given an opportunity to perform in high school, college, and pros.  And he seized the opportunity like no other, which I applaud him for.  
Sorry man, but I'm not buying the race card.  He has obviously worked hard enough for it to pay off and he WILL get payed, very well.  But there are way too many good players in the world, nonetheless the USA that get overlooked every year for me to believe his appearance is the reason. 

So he had great grades, no record or red flags and a great basketball resume and he still didn't get one D1 offer. Can you speculate as to why he didn't receive one D1 scholarship offer? Not even one?

It's not THE reason, but it's a part of it. Can we talk about race without only talking about race? Is that possible?

BTW, it's paid, not payed.

So he had great grades, no record or red flags and a great basketball resume and he still didn't get one D1 offer. Can you speculate as to why he didn't receive one D1 scholarship offer? Not even one?

It's not THE reason, but it's a part of it. Can we talk about race without only talking about race? Is that possible?

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Dude, he played at Harvard.  Its not Duke, Kentucky, or UNC but it's still a well respected program who jumps in and out of the top-25 rankings.  National TV, playing against high-ranked teams, what more do you want? Did he prove at Harvard that he deserved to be playing on live TV every single night? No.  Get over it- he was NOT overlooked the way most people believe.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Dude, he played at Harvard.  Its not Duke, Kentucky, or UNC but it's still a well respected program who jumps in and out of the top-25 rankings.  National TV, playing against high-ranked teams, what more do you want? Did he prove at Harvard that he deserved to be playing on live TV every single night? No.  Get over it- he was NOT overlooked the way most people believe.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Now I know you're just talking out of your #%+.  IVY LEAGUES DON'T OFFER ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS.  In simple terms just for you to understand, Harvard simply doesn't pay his tuition to play basketball.  That was the only school that recruited him, WITHOUT a SCHOLARSHIP.

Being just a great basketball player doesn't grant you admission to Harvard.  I don't know if you've attended college or not, but Harvard doesn't just grant you admission solely based on your athletic accomplishments... that's why you RARELY see a NBA player out of Ivy league.  I mean, he DID lead Harvard to their best record in over 3 decades when did he play there...   

Back to the facts about him coming out of high school.  He won STATE player of the year, not just in the Bay Area... STATE.  Yet no Pac-10/Pac-12 schools offered him a SINGLE scholarship.  If you can't see that race did play a role in why he was overlooked so many times, I don't know what to tell you... then again you're probably White and not even a minority. 

Even KOBE BRYANT said he was overlooked.  I think I'll take his word over yours.  I'ma stop playing Captain Save a Lin for now, I don't like arguing with uninformed buffoons. 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Now I know you're just talking out of your #%+.  IVY LEAGUES DON'T OFFER ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS.  In simple terms just for you to understand, Harvard simply doesn't pay his tuition to play basketball.  That was the only school that recruited him, WITHOUT a SCHOLARSHIP.

Being just a great basketball player doesn't grant you admission to Harvard.  I don't know if you've attended college or not, but Harvard doesn't just grant you admission solely based on your athletic accomplishments... that's why you RARELY see a NBA player out of Ivy league.  I mean, he DID lead Harvard to their best record in over 3 decades when did he play there...   

Back to the facts about him coming out of high school.  He won STATE player of the year, not just in the Bay Area... STATE.  Yet no Pac-10/Pac-12 schools offered him a SINGLE scholarship.  If you can't see that race did play a role in why he was overlooked so many times, I don't know what to tell you... then again you're probably White and not even a minority. 

Even KOBE BRYANT said he was overlooked.  I think I'll take his word over yours.  I'ma stop playing Captain Save a Lin for now, I don't like arguing with uninformed buffoons. 

Back
Top Bottom